Swindon Borough Council
Happiness score is 36 out of 100

Swindon Borough Council Employee Reviews

In house provider service

Pay and support; in house provider staff are poorly paid and have heavy work loads. Upper management are unsupportive of middle management which are also over stretched in service providers and are treated poor by other commissioning teams and dumped on to do extra work

Pros

Job security

Cons

Long hours, poor support & pay

Not supportive

Not a great place to work some staff ok management team don't care about staff and only think of them self's don't want to help staff just sit on the back sides and smoke all day

Pros

Cons

Rota changes daily

Colleagues are great, management awful

You start off enthusiastic, then when you come across management your enthusiasm dies. Staffs commitment in their job role is generally really good, but at times when you have concerns and need things addressed to management they really don't want to know, so you are left baffled about how you are still to carry on. When something does go wrong they are straight on you if your face doesn't fit. I thought that management are supposed to be supportive of their staffs welfare. They can't even say hello.

Pros

Pay is good, staff are most of the time supportive.

Poor HV Management

I worked as a HV for several years. Poor management .Treated like social workers not healthBlame cultureHigh caseload numbersAbysmal leadership within the teamsFocus on box ticking instead of relationship building with the families.

Pros

Free parking !

Cons

High caseloads, poor supervision and managers who are deaf to the stressors

Badly run with lack of knowledge

The council and management I came into contact with had very little concept of nursing. The impact of this was a very poor work life balance. A feeling of being hugely undervalued. A dangerous and stressful work environment where you were not supported or kept safe in your working practice . The work fork force was demoralised and exhausted

Cons

In adequate admin support

Don't bother

Spineless office staff. I knew the job very well. Working for council couple of years. They like to move u about all the time so I don't get to learn a route. Team work was good if your route was running behind. If u do anything wrong u r out door without a reason. They said they didn't like my reversing methods. I finished on a Friday. Went to get up Monday morning to text message saying I'm not needed.

Pros

Good hours and pay

Cons

Spineless management

Agency groundsman (seasonal)

Made very welcome, treated same as full timers. Full ppe and wet weather clothing supplied. Good rates of pay. Relaxed working environment, which makes for satisfying work. Good management. On the job training, reliable equipment.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Seasonal work

Great team

Worked in school for excluded and vulnerable children for 13 years. Great team fair pay good training. Enjoyed working with my colleagues. Felt we had a purpose and made a difference.

supportive and fun place to work

Swindon Borough council are an amazing company to work for. My management are very supportive and caring and they will help you in all situations as much as possible.

Relaxed workplace, flexi time

Swindon Borough Council is a great place to work, friendly and relaxed with a modern open office approach. Flexi time is useful for a work - life balance.

Pros

Dress down Friday, Flexi Time Canteen on site

Jobs at Swindon Borough Council

See more jobs

Fantastic manager

Working for SBC was very quick paste work place, there was a lot of written work to do. I though as my title said outreach officer i would be working with people face to face on everyday basics, however i had so much paper work that it wasn't always possible. However i had very supportive and helpful manger and great team, over all i have really enjoyed my experience at SBC and would recommend as a good place to work.

Building independent futures senior suplort

Most stressful place i worked for, unprofessional. He said she said culture, any problems then dont go to management. Very long hours, if ur face don't fit then your shifts you will be on are bad. Disorganised, and any idea syou have then prepare not to be listened to

My opinion

Great job if you enjoy giving back to the community. Saddly Managed by buffoons. The top management positions in the area I worked came over as incompetent and genuinely no real experience or understanding of departments they ran. If the rest of the council was run like this it's little wonder it finds itself in financial trouble. Also alot of deadwood in the work fffforce.through

Fun work environment

Enjoyable fun job to environment to work in always felt welcomed. the culture is welcoming as well as a hard working environment, colleagues always wanting to see other members succeed

stressfull

to stressful after few weeks u notice how u chnage u allways tired moody because they dont treat you like human ive stuck at as long as i can but its starting to get much for me and we need more money we get poo when it comes to money and then its are fault when we can buy stuff to make working better allways having someone up your butt

Pros

early finish

Cons

treated rubbish and alot of walking/running

Interesting

Rewarding and frustrating, you will work with alot of committed people, constantchanges, budget cuts, but you will work with some amazing people who will do their best

Ejoyable job!

SEND Minibus driver, employed on a casual , short term basis! I really enjoyed this job, great set of guys to work with in a relaxed and helpful environment! It was only a short term employment, and it did come to an end too soon for my part!

Good company to work for

Enjoyed my time with them, in home management lacking enthusiasm, never had any problems with wages, holidays etc, looked after staff very well, good to work for.

Poor management, worse organisaton.

This was the worst organisation that I have worked for in 28 years, two thirds of the managers are very poor, bullying and self serving, examples are managers stopping staff from taking holiday time off and then taking those same days off themselves, you can always tell when the managers are asking you to do something that is immoral, unethical or down right breaking the law (employment law as well as what ever regulations you are working under) by they way you are asked to do it, for example face to face (with no witnesses or like minded managers as their evidence) or phone calls and if you chased them up via emails, so that you have documentary evidence to support yourself if it goes wrong when you are left holding the blame, they refuse to acknowledge these emails. Giving out edicts and other rules of work and then they do not lead by example but just chastise, bully and dump more work onto those that question the hypocrisy or those they dislike in the hope that they quit, after a few months you can recognise the pattern and who are the managers friends and favourites, that will be those with the lowest workload but the highest praise. When staff do quit, the organisation just use the excuse that the job is not for everyone, which I found particularly galling as I have had management positions with more staff and did a number of jobs over the years that where mentally, physically and emotionally challenging and the reason I quit and most people quit their jobs, is not the job they do but the poor management and poor treatment by really bad managers The organisation -

Terrible

Inexperienced self serving management (nice people though), avoided what needed to be addressed and unsupportive to staff. I often wondered who was running the place. The culture was so bad it’s put me off working with special needs which I’ve done for over 25 years. The staff were amazing, the service users were happy and well taken care of by them but unable to do their jobs properly due to politics! It’s the shortest time I’ve ever been in a job! The staff turn over is insane.

Pros

Annual leave and pension

Cons

Structure and management

Fun, productive and progressive employer

Brilliant employer with lots of benefits, support development opportunities They are inclusive and progressive and empower the staff to work independantly with minimal support unless it is required or requested. They encourage staff autonomy and have a superbly progressive equal opportunities initiative. Highly recommended as an employer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swindon Borough Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Swindon Borough Council with

• Swindon Borough Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?