Sykes Cottages
Happiness score is 44 out of 100

Sykes Cottages Reviews: Working at Sykes Cottages

United Kingdom36 reviews

officestaffteammanagercompanyworkingmanagementgreat

On the surface it’s all shiny and new but scratch below and there are many problems and unhappy staff.

The staff are amazing and work very hard to resolve customer issues. It’s a lovely environment but don’t let that fool you, favouritism is rife. Be pressured to work past your shifts on a regular basis, although the ones who progress do the bare minimum. It’s very clicky and although the team leaders do their best staff are often left to get on with the problem. Upper management is shocking and manipulative and often befriend staff to their advantage then drop them like a brick once they have served their purpose. It’s a shame as lots of good staff have been promised the world then dumped from a great height. If you’re young and looking for a short term job you’ll love it but stay and care about your work to your peril.

Pros

Staff are amazing, nice building, great office parties, holiday discounts, location next to train station, beer trolly Friday once a month.

Cons

Management is shocking, low pay for what’s expected, staff unappreciated for what they do by management, working long hours and through lunches unpaid to get the job done, favouritism is rife and if your face doesn't fit managers can make life difficult, high turnover of staff, company growing and it doesn’t have the infrastructure in place, very stressful for staff, sick pay was removed across the company when the Covid pandemic started.

A fantastic company with career progression for those that are ambitious

I've been with Sykes Cottages for over 3 years now and it's a fantastic place to work. It is fast paced and fast growing, which creates opportunities for growth. The targets can be challenging but the culture is supportive. The exec board know employees by name and care about their staff.

Insights into Sykes Cottages

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Underpaid. Overstressed. Undervalued.

Dreadful company. Unbelievable turnover of staff. No training. No support. Avoid! Salary is poor for the work and what’s expected. Company only care about profit and growing in size with no regard for standards of service to homeowners, holiday guests or staff. Awful place.

Pros

Cons

Poor salary. No training. Very few ethics

I am glad I work here

I have worked at Sykes Cottages for a couple of months now and I am very proud to be member of staff in this business. Not only is there a beer cart that comes round on Fridays, but my manager sees who I am as a person and is there to help me every step of the way when I need him. My team is amazing and we all help each other the best we can. The shifts do work 4 days on one week and 6 the next (which is tough) however, it is do able and the 4 day week feels amazing. I do think there is a clear bath for me to progress but I am not ready for that at this moment. If you are thinking about joining Sykes Cottages, please let this be your sign.

Pros

Beer cart every other Friday, free fruit, 2 office parties a year & chance to progress in the business

Cons

6 day weeks every other week (for my department)

Great company and fantastic atmosphere

So pleased to work for a company that rewards and recognises staff for achievements, great company, I'm proud to work for Sykes still today, hope to continue to progress and be here for a while longer yet

Pros

Team atmosphere and respect from management

Cons

Hours can be unsociable

Great place to work, would highly recommend

The department is very busy and the role is demanding so expect to work hard. Each day is different with lots of variety in the work itself. The support you get from the managers is amazing and there is a great team spirit with colleagues regularly recognising each others work. Everyone is friendly and approachable.

Pros

Great office facilities and location, working from home is an option, supportive managers

Cons

Some days are very busy!

Amazing culture and onboarding process!

I have only worked at the company for a short time but I haven enjoyed everyday! The culture I researched during the interview process is celebrated at every opportunity and I have been made to feel like a valued member of the team.I am given the opportunity to work both at home and in the office to meet my needs which has helped with a work-life balance. I am fully supported through my role and have regular catch ups with my manager and various other members of the team. I am excited to see where my career at Sykes takes me!

Pros

Hybrid working, company culture, wellness support

Do NOT join this company.

The most stressful role I have ever had in my life. Your mental health will certainly be affected if you join COR, but you get penalised because of it. The company boast about how well they treat their staff, but it’s all lies. Favouritism is definitely a thing in the company. Operations staff are on the front line constantly for all the abuse we take from customers but we get no recognition. Constantly being asked to take a call. No morale at all.

Pros

Hardly any.

Cons

Every single part of the role.

Coronavirus chaos

Staff in the operations team have been treated very badly amidst the corona saga. I have now left the place but I feel for those who are still there. The cor team have had it pretty bad and hr were no help whatsoever. Your opinion really doesn’t matter, I find it funny that they stopped doing their monthly staff survey, they surely know how unhappy everyone is. There are companies out there that value their staff, this really is not one of them. Trust me

Pros

None come to mind

Cons

The team leaders

Poor place to work

Honestly the worst place to work for. They don’t care about the staff. Treats you as bum on seats. All say that they will support through mental health but they cause it and make it worse. No support. Policies and rules are forever changing. No clear guidance on what to say to customers and owners especially when you’re on the front line. All the managers and best buddies including with HR. No way you’re complaints will be taken seriously. Wouldn’t recommend it

Pros

Some of the people you work with

Cons

Everything from management to training to support

Poor

They tell you it's not a pushy sales environment but it is. You have to hit all sales targets or you don't pass probation, the only way you can do this is by being ruthless and taking other peoples bookings

Pros

Nice offices

Cons

No parking

Bad management

Bad work culture. Forever changing rules. Bad management and no opportunities to progress despite them constantly being mentioned. Bonus is team based and not individual so if your team mates dont work hard to achieve target (many of whom were yound and quite content with the basic wage) you miss out

Best place I've ever worked!!

I'm 5 months into working at Sykes Cottages and I honestly couldn't recommend this place more! I have never worked in such a supportive, collaborative and fun place - I genuinely look forward to coming to work and excited about the projects I am involved with. Everyone at Sykes are friendly and supportive and offer help to whoever you are, this goes for CEO's to Managers to those in different departments - everyone is so welcoming and seem genuinely happy to be here! Having worked here I cant imagine ever going back to a workplace with bad practices, management or environment ever again! If you are struggling with your current job, aren't getting the right work life balance or want to love your job again - PLEASE don't hesitate in working here!! It will be the best decision you make!

Great place to work!

I've worked here for three years now and think it's one of, if not the best place I've ever worked. The people are what make the company. We have a brilliant CEO who knows everyone by name. There are some amazingly talented people and there is a real ambition to be the best at what we do. The benefits package is good and has continually improved over the time that i've been with Sykes, new things are being added all of the time. Work life balance is generally good, and on occasions where the workload gets too high everyone pitches in to help out.

Fantastic place to work - challenging but very rewarding!

Sykes has a fantastic culture, the CEO knows everyone by name and always takes the time to have a chat. There are events throughout the year for the team and you're always well rewarded when you hit targets. It is a challenging place to work, but I find that makes it fun and there is always a great team spirit when working towards targets.

Dreadful place

On the surface a good happy company but that’s just for show. Awful training nasty employees especially the ones who have stuck it out for years. Very high staff turnover and absolutely no support

The WORST place I’ve ever worked

Management is awful forever taking credit for your hard work. Treating you like dirt, was forced to come back to work after surgery even though I was still recovering. Disgusting treatment and hr or higher ups don’t care about your complaints.

Death would be better

Awful place to work, friendly on the surface but nasty behind your back. They make promises they don’t keep. Definitely a click and if you don’t fit nothing you do is right! Very quickly staff turnover in the main just the chosen few stay for any length of time. Training is a joke.

Pros

Cons

Unhappy workplace

Your face needs to fit

Worked here for just 5 months, very clicky, and not a nice company. If your not one of the crowd out drinking with the popular ones then your face won’t fit. Managers and team leaders are unprofessional and witnessed several times of bullying and unfairly managing individuals out. HR is a joke. Wouldn’t be suprised if this company haven’t already or definitely will have individuals logging grievance complaints. I left on good terms because I left having found a new job as couldn’t be part of a company with these 1980’s values. New experienced and definitely professional managers required to reduce staff turnover which is a high percentage.

Pros

Nice premises to work

Cons

Poorly managed, bullying tactics

Challenging, fun and different.

A business that both challenges and rewards. A fantastic company with a great deal of time and energy for all its staff and customers. 10/10 would recommend.

Pros

Flexibility, close knit working environment, 9-5, office biscuits, fruit! Independence and trust.

Cons

Can be challenging, with the autonomy we have there are a lot of pressures and expectations, however with the support from team mates this is rarely an issue

Great Place to work

I have always enjoyed working for Sykes Cottages as they are friendly and the work is interesting and varied. All the staff are very helpful and there is a very pleasant office atmosphere. The building is new and light and spacious. The staff facilities are great and they really look after the workforce.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sykes Cottages. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Sykes Cottages with

Sykes Cottages reviews by location

Learn about Sykes Cottages in popular locations

• Sykes Cottages
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?