Tarmac

Tarmac Employee Reviews

Overall a average place to work, swapping from days to night keeps you mostly tired and effects home life to some degree... I much prefer regular days...
Love working at tarmac the people are great I look forward to going work if you can get a job with this company I would highly recommend it..you learn alot at this company..
Pros
Lunches an brew machine 😁
Cons
Nice variety of work, with constant progression and ample training provided.The hardest part of the job was managing the health and safety but it was also the most rewarding.
Pros
Responsibily, training, H&s
Cons
Tarmac CRH is a good company to work for with a lot of opportunities for progression in the company and lot to learn about the industry. With that being said the success of a company in the end comes down to individual site managements which either make or break a company. So it's safe to say that the management of Moutsorrel quarry is successfully driving the company in the ground with multiple break downs and lost tonnage and to make matters worse they have hired absolutely anyone as so called "plant fitters" who don't have a clue about what they are doing. The quality of technical aptitude and engineering ability of the maintenance team is pathetic to say the least. Also the managers don't have a clue of the heavy industry which is why they keep on lying and it's making the place more dangerous than it's already is. And thanks to the incompetent fitters they have hired. I am a "Service Technician "which is equivalent to a Service Engineer position in any part of the world. NOT OVER HERE. Here it is below a fitter position with much less pay and no shift allowance although the work, hours and the risks associated to the job is the same for service technician and fitter. The managers have essentially lied about the job tile/ work description during the interview process. Another lie was I was supposed to work on mobile plant in the quarry but now work only on fixed plant thereby wasting my time and skills. That's how I landed over here because they told a lot of colorful lies.
Pros
Lots of training provided, fairly well equipped workshops but there is room for improvement, Some really experienced and knowledgeable people work over there.
Cons
Long hours, shift patterns are unhealthy, no shift allowance, pay is way low for the hours and risk related to the job, incapable management.
Not a very good company to work for there is no atmosphere at site level. No need for a middle management structure with poor knowledge people in those positions
Tarmac used to be an amazing place to work but they began to care more about numbers than the well-being of their staff. Management are rude and unsupportive.
Pros
Honestly can't think of one anymore
Cons
Management are awful
Lack of ownership and integrity from Senior management who dictate the culture downwards.To empower people you need honest strong technical leadership with safety integrity who demonstrate it openly to ALL levels and support the site team personnel
Pros
Cons
False promises without backbone
Management are all clowns They couldnt manage a pi## up in a brewery or work for mcdonalds. Clicky groups of managers all looking after one another with bulls### and lies. Totally bent and crooked..If they were investigated properly they would all beout of a job
Pros
Cons
management
worked lots of hours (15hrs per day 6days a week most times 7 days ) always paid on time ,but the management don't like you getting more money than them, they only work 35hrs no overtime ,we had lots of overtime, getting paid over 100hrs a week , when you stop for tea they get annoyed after doing 15hrs days some "managers" are failed pub landlords, and because they are hand in glove with the contractors, they think everyone is at it , buts only them at it .
Pros
get paid every month
Cons
Bad management
Overall job is good, the biggest problem is Office. They dont do their job propelry and at the end They blame You for their mistakes. Management is covering them with everything. Planning very poor, You can come at 4 o clock cause thats what, They told You then They changing Your job without telling You and You ending up with sitting in lobby for 2 hours to start. its pointless to say anything to them cause at the end its Your fault.
Pros
Nice runs
Cons
Very poor management
Tarmac is the parent company of Carillion. Carillion made 43000 people jobless overnight and swallowed all the investors money. Now this is trading under new name CRH. CRH furloughed all the employees and paid 450 million dividends to investors.
Pros
British culture
Cons
toxic, manipulative, low quality people.
The senior managers are always on the look out for someone to blame for their poor results / decisions. You will spend most of your looking to cover your back. The is a total lack of any safety procedures when I worked there
I used what training I had been given from my last jobs and had training from other manager of Tarmac, It was hard work but we all worked together to get the task done, you did get listened to and if action could be take it was actioned. the big positive for me was how the company ran health & safety very good for management and workers
Pros
good ppe
Cons
long hours and travelling time
Can be very busy at times, good opportunity to progress. Most senior managers are great, but they have a few who don't have a clue how to manage people. All the people I worked with were great and will help you. I would still be but found another job on more money.
Work like you are supposed to and the job will be what you make it. Like every other job out there...you will have likes and dislikes but i cant fault the company like alot of people seem to do.
Good place to work. interesting work,sometimes frustrating, management very approachable, most of the workers are very helpful to each other. learned a lot about packing equipment and the cement manufacturing process.
Tarmac is a productive company and is a great place to learn new skills whilst executing your current skills, the workplace is comfortable and help is given if required which, makes working there great to utilize your capabilities.
Bullied by site supervisor, tried to report this to appropriate management and they shrugged it off and tried to justify his behaviour by telling me it was just the type of work environment I was in. Made the 4 years I worked for them difficult to return to work each day
Pros
Training provided
Cons
Poor management
Impression I got from interview is you are just fodder for this company. 'I need bodies' was the term used. They don't treat you like a person. Job was agreed for two weeks only to be told two weeks later that they had a recruitment freeze and my job was withdrawn. I'm now seeing jobs advertised on here days later... Discrimination anyone.... If you want to be valued I would look elsewhere. They have no regard for the law.
Tarmac was was a great place to work and i had a team to work with. if you are looking for a long term job with plenty of training opportunities tarmac will be for you.
Health and safety is of the upmost when working for Tarmac. This is a very positive attribute as people often work with heavy machinery and equipment.
  1. Employee reviews