Tarmac logo
Tarmac

Tarmac Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Bad management

Good pay and rate however management structure wasn’t the best and people always looking for a reason to get one up on someone. Not the greatest for apprenticeships, although that’s not speaking for all sites. Just a general lack of line managers knowing how to help and end result being the apprentice has to try and finish all the coursework with little to no help from managers

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Management structure

Long hours low pay

Worked as a class 2 tipper driver for 16 months but you don't work for Tarmac you work for a franchise haulier .I liked the job but the hours got longer sometimes your hourly rate would equate to less than 10 pounds an hour as you only got paid for 10 hours with no overtime paid.There was no pension scheme and none was offered in the end my hours got so long that I negotiated overtime pay which was promised to be paid at the end of the month the money never materialised and so I left.

Pros

Clean work

Cons

Long hours no overtime or pension

Amazing industry and people

I had a lot of skills learnt here and am forever grateful for the advancement and managerial skills I was under. The department's talk and forever looking at maintaining high standards

Very negative and horrible to work there

Shocking place to work they are very negative and the management is too. No direction or leadership no wonder so many years experience have left very little pay for so many hours a stressful environment to work in not what the job was described.

Pros

Cons

Long hours poor pay

Love working at tarmac the people are great I look forward to going work if you can get a job with this company I would highly recommend it..you learn alot at this company..

Pros

Lunches an brew machine 😁

Cons

Nice variety of work, with constant progression and ample training provided.The hardest part of the job was managing the health and safety but it was also the most rewarding.

Pros

Responsibily, training, H&s

Cons

Really good company to work for. But beware of individual site management.

Tarmac CRH is a good company to work for with a lot of opportunities for progression in the company and lot to learn about the industry. With that being said the success of a company in the end comes down to individual site managements which either make or break a company. So it's safe to say that the management of Moutsorrel quarry is successfully driving the company in the ground with multiple break downs and lost tonnage and to make matters worse they have hired absolutely anyone as so called "plant fitters" who don't have a clue about what they are doing. The quality of technical aptitude and engineering ability of the maintenance team is pathetic to say the least. Also the managers don't have a clue of the heavy industry which is why they keep on lying and it's making the place more dangerous than it's already is. And thanks to the incompetent fitters they have hired. I am a "Service Technician "which is equivalent to a Service Engineer position in any part of the world. NOT OVER HERE. Here it is below a fitter position with much less pay and no shift allowance although the work, hours and the risks associated to the job is the same for service technician and fitter. The managers have essentially lied about the job tile/ work description during the interview process. Another lie was I was supposed to work on mobile plant in the quarry but now work only on fixed plant thereby wasting my time and skills. That's how I landed over here because they told a lot of colorful lies.

Pros

Lots of training provided, fairly well equipped workshops but there is room for improvement, Some really experienced and knowledgeable people work over there.

Cons

Long hours, shift patterns are unhealthy, no shift allowance, pay is way low for the hours and risk related to the job, incapable management.

Not very good company

Not a very good company to work for there is no atmosphere at site level. No need for a middle management structure with poor knowledge people in those positions

Used to be amazing

Tarmac used to be an amazing place to work but they began to care more about numbers than the well-being of their staff. Management are rude and unsupportive.

Pros

Honestly can't think of one anymore

Cons

Management are awful

People working at the coal face are great and willing to improve

Lack of ownership and integrity from Senior management who dictate the culture downwards.To empower people you need honest strong technical leadership with safety integrity who demonstrate it openly to ALL levels and support the site team personnel

Pros

Cons

False promises without backbone

Jobs at Tarmac

See more jobs

joke

Management are all clowns They couldnt manage a pi## up in a brewery or work for mcdonalds. Clicky groups of managers all looking after one another with bulls### and lies. Totally bent and crooked..If they were investigated properly they would all beout of a job

Pros

Cons

management

RMX ,nice place to work, but the management !!

worked lots of hours (15hrs per day 6days a week most times 7 days ) always paid on time ,but the management don't like you getting more money than them, they only work 35hrs no overtime ,we had lots of overtime, getting paid over 100hrs a week , when you stop for tea they get annoyed after doing 15hrs days some "managers" are failed pub landlords, and because they are hand in glove with the contractors, they think everyone is at it , buts only them at it .

Pros

get paid every month

Cons

Bad management

Poor management

Overall job is good, the biggest problem is Office. They dont do their job propelry and at the end They blame You for their mistakes. Management is covering them with everything. Planning very poor, You can come at 4 o clock cause thats what, They told You then They changing Your job without telling You and You ending up with sitting in lobby for 2 hours to start. its pointless to say anything to them cause at the end its Your fault.

Pros

Nice runs

Cons

Very poor management

Tarmac UK (CRH) is a least trustworthy company (honest review)

Tarmac is the parent company of Carillion. Carillion made 43000 people jobless overnight and swallowed all the investors money. Now this is trading under new name CRH. CRH furloughed all the employees and paid 450 million dividends to investors.

Pros

British culture

Cons

toxic, manipulative, low quality people.

Do not work for these people

The senior managers are always on the look out for someone to blame for their poor results / decisions. You will spend most of your looking to cover your back. The is a total lack of any safety procedures when I worked there

hard working teams

I used what training I had been given from my last jobs and had training from other manager of Tarmac, It was hard work but we all worked together to get the task done, you did get listened to and if action could be take it was actioned. the big positive for me was how the company ran health & safety very good for management and workers

Pros

good ppe

Cons

long hours and travelling time

Good company

Can be very busy at times, good opportunity to progress. Most senior managers are great, but they have a few who don't have a clue how to manage people. All the people I worked with were great and will help you. I would still be but found another job on more money.

Good pay for an honest days work

Work like you are supposed to and the job will be what you make it. Like every other job out there...you will have likes and dislikes but i cant fault the company like alot of people seem to do.

productive

Good place to work. interesting work,sometimes frustrating, management very approachable, most of the workers are very helpful to each other. learned a lot about packing equipment and the cement manufacturing process.

Productive and a learning environment

Tarmac is a productive company and is a great place to learn new skills whilst executing your current skills, the workplace is comfortable and help is given if required which, makes working there great to utilize your capabilities.

This company is a morally unjust and unfair.

Bullied by site supervisor, tried to report this to appropriate management and they shrugged it off and tried to justify his behaviour by telling me it was just the type of work environment I was in. Made the 4 years I worked for them difficult to return to work each day

Pros

Training provided

Cons

Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tarmac. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement