Tarmac
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Tarmac Employee Reviews

United Kingdom212 reviews

Not a bad place

Not a bad old place needs restructuring but a good bunch of lads can earn good money but you’ve got to put a lot of overtime in and work life balance isn’t great

Was great before CRH

Was a fantastic place to work until CRH got involved now its a stressed out desperate daily fight for survival with redundancy hanging over your head at every quarter end!

Insights into Tarmac

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Depressing and too much back stabbing

I really wouldn't recommend this company to anyone all they are interested in is production. They aren't interested in your health or safety and constantly critisise your work. Management are useless they have no clue about the job because they have never worked from the bottom upwards. Honestly shocking

Pros

Home time

Cons

All of it

Dunbar plant

Extremely low morale and no work life balance.The management don’t manage or lead they dictate and bully.Safely culture is very poor with people working unsafe and managers ignoring the warning signs of a significant risk to life.

Poor

Tarmac congleton is a run down poorly managed place and a danger to anyone that works there the manager tell lies and is only out to makd himself look good and does nothing to get repairs sorted out

Has changed for the worse over time unfortunately.

Before Tarmac took over, there were multiple opportunities for job advances and paid courses. You really felt like the company wanted to invest in you and the company's future. Now they hire contractors for a cheaper price and loose out on skilled staff all to save a quick buck. This in time has completely demoralised the trained staff and devalued their staffs worth. Pay used to be fantastic in comparison to other companies in the trade, but now they're not. There's no work life balance and it's encouraged to work late in order to get the most out of their staff.

Nice company to work for

Cant fault Tarmac, nice colleagues, managers.Plenty of progression within the company if you show interestWould recommend to family and friends if needing a job.

Pros

Great team, nice managers, work environment

Productive if you pull your weight , lazy oiks are soon sussed out

Hard work at a fast pace, not for shirkers.Lots of courses to keep up to date with. Health and safety is the key word..Get the load delivered on time with no dramas.

Decent company but long hours

Company is good to work for but they don’t try and get improve on you. You will likely be stuck in the same job for life when joining. No extra training or progression.

Not a good company to work for full of false promises

Poorly managed company lots of sites being made in to one so lots of redundancy money is good but work life balance because of the shifts works out you about 1 full weekend of in 5 weeks.

Pros

Good money

Cons

Poorly managed

Focused and driven organisation

People centred business, good salaries and well supported employees with development opportunities for those who wish to go further in the business, worth exploring.

Pros

Flexibility and development

Cons

Switching off

Really decent

Good training, lots of free Ppe not rushed not stressed, sick pay after qualifying period. All in all a very reasonable company to work for I would recommend

Pros

Paid cpc Sick pay Reasonable hours Good salary for the work

Cons

Truck hoping a lot

Excellent work colleagues

Senior executives leave a lot to be desired. Hypocrisy is rife among them. Whilst I understand companies need to make money employees are treated with contempt

Pros

Subsidised canteen

Cons

Lack of management understanding of employee needs

Average. Positives: Salary was ok/small annual bonus, good colleagues. Negatives: Limited scope for progression, job security, low morale.

Typical day often started at 7am at a specified depot, normally finishing before 5pm. Involved travelling around to agreed depots/sites by company supplied van, to sample concrete. My supervisors and many of my colleagues on the front line were good to work with. Many of who were working under pressure by upper management/ parent company demands. Restructuring/redundancies has damaged morale, there is a lot of negativity in the workforce. There is currently no scope for progression in this region for this company. Requisite training was provided for (like first aid courses etc) although further personal development training opportunities became scarce to non-existent. This makes the company Personal Development Plan a bit of a joke. Job security isn't a certainty in this company.Salary was ok for what it was, plus a one off company-wide (small) bonus if company hit its financial targets. Also access to discount/ reward schemes.

Pros

Access to brand/shop discount schemes. Supervisors, front line managers were fine to work with. H&S taken seriously.

Cons

Low morale in workforce, a lot of negativity. Job security. Limited scope for progression.

Could have been so much better

Initially very excited to work there. soon after starting quarry manager started backing out of terms in my contract also beginning to put pressure on to being “on call” a lot of the time which was never discussed in the interview. Was told Monday-Friday but pressured into working full weekends all the time and very much frowned upon if you had the odd weekend off. Had issues with a fellow colleague ranging from trying to trick me into poor workmanship to trying to blame me for faults the he had actually done. Reported to management on various occasions but was swept under the carpet and denied. Management unapproachable and have everyone living in fear. Running machinery on a shoe string etc etc

Pros

Good rate of pay

Cons

Poor management Issues brought to attention ignored Running machinery on a shoe string, Promote poor behaviour in the workplace, The list goes on

Place good management need to run place no union

To many idol people doing nothing and avoiding working on phones management need to run place ? Not union ? Some good men but most don’t want to know you if you’re not in the click then your not in. The management know about it and they are scared to death of them it needs a good clear out. And to put foot down and if don’t like it you know we’re gate is ? I would go back there as supervisor and do it and wouldn’t be afraid of the man power that’s wot whitwell quarry needs ???

Pros

Cons

To long

More interested in profits for shareholders than they are people.

Overall not a terrible company to work for other than the fact your constantly worrying about being made redundant because the shareholders want a few extra quid. The whole company is working at a ridiculously low staffing level which is unsustainable and it causing a number of staff a great deal of stress (including myself). Long contracted hours but still expected to work more. Not contracted to work weekends but for some reason still have to request them off and arrange your own cover? However management have always been reasonably fair when ive had unexpected family issues and have needed last minute time off. In conclusion CRH have ruined Tarmac, ive worked for Tarmac for a number of years and it has progressively gotten worse since CRH took over. I would say avoid unless your happy to be overworked, underpaid and happy to worry about redundancy constantly.

Pros

In my personal experience good management.

Cons

Long hours and having to request days off that you arent even contracted to work.

Rubbish wage

It was a decent job. The lads were spot on the management didn't really have a clue the wages were rubbish. The area manager just 5old you what he thought you wanted to hear. No progression and they lied about moving up tears and getting paid more.

Pros

Free hot drinks.

Cons

Rubbish wages, One of the team leaders was the worst and didn't listen, The upper management was clueless.

Excellent place to work

Excellent place to work. Great office .good team work. On site parking.very flexible.Cycle to work scheme.Sick pay.25 days holiday p aCompany rewards scheme

Pros

Pension/sick pay

Cons

Monthly basic for office staff. Not able to earn bonus

I love the workplace

I work in Birmingham asphalt washwood Heath and honestly I must say being here almost a year the management at our site are brilliant and always willing to help, our supervisors and assistant manager I couldn’t have asked for better and our team is great we all get along. I haven’t had no issues at all and have been given time off when needed and have had help offered to me through a company help scheme that I did not take but regardless it’s nice to know help is there. Joining tarmac and the job security for me is all I need (could do with more of a pay rise lol) but never the less I’m glad to have the management and the team I have here at washwood Heath Birmingham. Plus the tarmac rewards schemes is helpful with discounts and rewards from retailers etc

Pros

Managers and team, job security, help if needed (mental help financial help etc), reward schemes

Cons

Could do with a little more pay

Good support from the colleagues

A company wich is working just thinking on profits, considering their employees just numbers.As a driver, you can work just temporary, no contract is being made. They use you in the peak times, then you are "disposable "If you want a career, the possibility to grow, stability, it's not the place.Fork lift drivers minimums wedges as well in a multimillion industry.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tarmac. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Tarmac with

• Tarmac
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?