Tarmac logo

Tarmac Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits

hard working teams

I used what training I had been given from my last jobs and had training from other manager of Tarmac, It was hard work but we all worked together to get the task done, you did get listened to and if action could be take it was actioned. the big positive for me was how the company ran health & safety very good for management and workers

Pros

good ppe

Cons

long hours and travelling time

Hard work

At the moment due to Covid it is hard work trying to keep up with production. Good health and safety.Plenty of overtime if you want it.Bonus every year and good perks on Tarmac rewards.Site management are good but never see any big bosses.Plenty of courses to help you in your career

Pros

Free tea coffee

Long hours low pay

Worked as a class 2 tipper driver for 16 months but you don't work for Tarmac you work for a franchise haulier .I liked the job but the hours got longer sometimes your hourly rate would equate to less than 10 pounds an hour as you only got paid for 10 hours with no overtime paid.There was no pension scheme and none was offered in the end my hours got so long that I negotiated overtime pay which was promised to be paid at the end of the month the money never materialised and so I left.

Pros

Clean work

Cons

Long hours no overtime or pension

Very negative and horrible to work there

Shocking place to work they are very negative and the management is too. No direction or leadership no wonder so many years experience have left very little pay for so many hours a stressful environment to work in not what the job was described.

Pros

Cons

Long hours poor pay

RMX ,nice place to work, but the management !!

worked lots of hours (15hrs per day 6days a week most times 7 days ) always paid on time ,but the management don't like you getting more money than them, they only work 35hrs no overtime ,we had lots of overtime, getting paid over 100hrs a week , when you stop for tea they get annoyed after doing 15hrs days some "managers" are failed pub landlords, and because they are hand in glove with the contractors, they think everyone is at it , buts only them at it .

Pros

get paid every month

Cons

Bad management

Goo health and safety culture

Has good benefits and opportunities depending on your goals . Has a robust health and safety culture . Day to day job requirements include house keeping and safety checks

Productive and motivating environment

On a typical day at Tarmac I would commence work at 9 in the morning and finish at 3. This would involve 1 hour lunch break.During my placement I worked one week in the Logistics department and one week in the Expenses department. I completed various tasks such as managing cash and credit card expenses for Tarmac employees and contacting Tarmac drivers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult drivers. this is where my customer service skills would come into use as i would have to constantly reassure them. Tarmac also had its benefits such as the motivating environment withing the workplace and the professional catering service that they provided as well as the future job opportunities that it may bring me in life.

Summay

Good company to work for. Competitive rate of pay, good holiday allowance. Overtime available along with courses to help further progress. Manager was very helpful.

Productive and fun workplace

Good company to work for, would recommend. Well paid, good pension scheme, good share option scheme, many opportunities to enhance your skills, good management.

Driver

Good to work for but need to look at wages. Good hours . Good set of lads but need to look at the money they pay us wagon drivers we are humans not monkey's

Jobs at Tarmac

See more jobs

If your face fits

I worked for Tarmac for many years and although a lot of my time there was great and the salary was comparative, Progression was difficult and if Your face did not fit or you were not a Yes/ No kind of person and you had an opinion then you get nowhere. The staff are amazing and would make any new member to any team feel welcome. Some of the management however have their own agenda and do not have their teams backs and would throw you under a bus in heartbeat.

Don't even bother

Unless you're a chief engineer, master or work in head office you will be underpaid, under valued and under appreciated. The salary is below average compared to other companies in the same industry. Only certain crew members are included in a high bonus despite the fact that it's everyone but these people who are pushed and pushed to get the job done. These bonus entitled people show no respect for the rest of the crew. If you have an accident, you will be scrutinised and intimidated to lie on your statement so that certain people don't have to deal with the paperwork and can earn that bonus. Certain jobs that have only ever needed one person now require two but jobs that are seriously unsafe to do by yourself are ignored and you're expected to do it solo regardless. Honestly, go work anywhere but here. You're treated like scum depending on your position. Oh and all this from a comany that claims to be a world leading business.

Pros

Expenses

Cons

Too many to list.

Busy working environment

Good place to work with excellent co-workers. Management were relaxed and fun to work for. Good working hours but my job title was more customer service based and not a planning role

Pros

co-workers

Cons

Job role was not was a was promised

busy

Non stop at work. Get to drive fork lift trucks, use a shovel and good banter with work colleagues. Wages are better when there is overtime, which is usually during the summer months.

Pros

Get trained on the job

Cons

Wages

N/a

Good in training the right people for the right job and heath and safety is a priority, and will supply the right equipment to allow you to do your job.

Bayston hill fitter

Worked for tarmac for 20 years . It was good in the old days but always tried bully tactics to try to make you do overtime. They go on about health and safety but employ bullys to try and make you do unsafe acts and if you refuse they ask others to do it to try and make you look bad . I left in the end after throte cancer treatment and being bullied by my supervisor . Avoid if poss

Pros

Home time

Cons

Full of bullys

Fun workplace

Not bad company, what can i say more i don't know. All jobs got some minus and some plus. If you like long hours and not really big vages, there is good company.

Bad outweighs the good

Worked as a supervisor for Tarmac, interesting work most of the time, the travel can be horrendous most of the time (and unpaid). The workforce I encountered were dedicated and hard working but pushed to breaking point all too often by bad planning/programming. The work/life balance turned out to be shockingly bad with nothing less than total intrusion by phone and emails that cannot be ignored whilst at home.

Pros

Benefits package

Cons

Long hours with unpaid travel

Middle of the road

Days at work can be busy and interesting, I have learned to do what i am paid to do, management can be testing at times the workforce have their own veiws i dont listern to tit for tat. The hardest part of the job is dealing with complex systems. Workforce are the hub of the company and not praised enough.

Pros

Health care, Bonus scheme, career path

Cons

carrying dead wood

Great people, interesting business

Great company to work for and have many good years there. Pay is fair/good a site where overtime is required/available can see good gains in wages. Good facilities and benefits All staff seem proud to work for Tarmac, most strive for excellence Attitudes are good Safety is paramount

Good workplace

Crh tarmac is a good company but the only downfall is they expected me to give my free time up to work and the management is awfull as you never get help or shown how to do things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tarmac. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement