Tata Communications

• Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager

Great place for learning and Opportunities

Good place to work, great work-life balance. I joined as an intern. all the team members were very welcoming. They support you in every possible way.

Pros

Helpful team members

Cons

Nothing as such

Over worked and under appreciated

My first 2 years at Tata was absolutely amazing. I was appreciated, trained, and promoted. Then upper management changed in our Matawan office. I was moved under Facilities and reported to people in Montreal Canada. Shortly after the change I was demoted, over worke,and used for the last few years. It's amazing how a few people can make such a wonderful experience turn sour.

Pros

Employees are amazing it's very cultural diverse

Cons

Upper management is very clicky

Productive and Fun workplace

Great team, working on innovative stuff. You learn new things every day. You have opportunity to work with folks from different geographies. Fast paced and customer focused.

Pros

Flexible WFH policy

Cons

Technology positions slowly moving to India

Enjoy friends

Good place to work at and fun events like chili cook offs. Flexible work life balance. Exciting projects to work on and a good mission statement. I would recommend this company for people who are interested.

Dedicated and commited co workers

Great group of people, sorry to leave them! There are many who do not hesitate to step up and lend a hand when needed, but are not overbearing and will allow an individual to perform

Longevity

I enjoyed learning different aspects of the company over my 20+ years with them. I was able to become a well rounded central office technician as well as becoming an expert on our database where i was then able to also dabble in provisioning and project management.

Great for experience, not Longevity...

A typical day goes by smoothly when you are well supported by your cross functional teams. When you are able to find some time during a busy schedule and can train with a senior person, you have the ability to learn a lot. (Unfortunately many of these essential people have been laid off to make room for lower paid employees.) Workplace culture is diverse which makes is a great atmosphere for business. The hardest part has been dealing with much of the usual day to day red tape, especially when dealing with other departments. This becomes even more difficult with lack of support from much of Management. The most enjoyable part would be the great customer and co-worker relationships that you build, with the good people along the way.

Pros

Experience, Learning, People, Travel.

Cons

Job Security, Management

Product and fun place to work

Typical, day at Tata like any other company will vary for different roles. In my role, the mornings were super busy, with meetings from off shore teams, before rest of the team left for home. The management is cognizant of this fact, and is very open to working remotely. This is very typical of large organizations, so no different at Tata, silo'ed organizations, lack cross communication, sadly, at times try to re-invent the wheel. The best part of the organization are the colleagues working here, they are truly the prized assets. For the most part Tata Communications looks after them.

Typical Telecom Organization

Company is fair to it's employees. Many remote and global employees often creates challenges for collaborative support. Significant employee recognition programs. Some cultural challenges, both language and philosophical.

Pros

Family friendly

Cons

Very bureaucratic

Mixed experience

Working for an Indian company as a Caucasian woman. Mixed experiences and communications among the international leadership and US team. Specifically working within the Communications division of the company.

Very slow moving and not a lot of market coverage in the US

The US sales team has undergone a major transformation including a large influx of people from Century Link that are in positions that exceed there capabilities. Tata is a very difficult company to get basic work done like takin weeks to get a price quote or to place an order. With the wholesale change out in the leadership and sales team no body know how to get work done in a slow moving India backend. All sales support is done from India and the company only has 30 direct sales people in the US.

Pros

Good people in the US that work hard

Cons

Getting anything done in the remote location of the US

Productive, flexible

Tata is a good company to work for; good people and as well as a great boss. I was allowed to work primarily from my home office. I would come to the home office in Matawan once or twice a week as needed as well work in the lab in Wall, NJ. Better than average health benefits as well as 401K plan. It's unfortunate that I will be leaving, not by choice but I understand the companies need to cut budget. I had the opportunity to work on some high profile projects in the Unified Communications space, working with partners e.g.Sonus, Acano, Metaswitch, Cisco, and others. Hardest part of the job was keeping up to date with multiple hardware/software updates from those vendors requiring many hours of QA testing in the lab.

Pros

Great people, better than average benefits

Cons

No real cons I can think of

Flexible working environment

They are very flexible on working hours and have generous benefits including Heath insurance and vacation days. Working remotely is also allowed. .

TATA Communications

Work/Life Balance is decent, although this is a global company, email is 24/7. Salary are good, and the company still provides a yearly bonus. Employee ratio 80:20 men to women, with no sign of change.

Nice people to work with but the processes need to be improved

Tata Communications Limited has a company has a great set of people working there. However, there is very little focus on the quality of work and there's a lack of customer focus. Cross functional teams need to work to the overall progress of the company but most of the time they work against each other.

Job culture is very good, however internal departments are disjointed, difficult to get things done.

Tata is an extremely large company which treats employees very well, however the internal processes are almost non existent. Very difficult to get simple things done.

Tata works hard at instilling the Tata Culture which is a very ethical, hard working, rewarding environment

The company is a good place to work. It is a very diverse environment where all ideas are discussed and vetted. Tata offer lunch and learns to broaden everyone's knowledge base of industry and company happenings.

Great company to work for!

TATA is a company that started in India. They branched out to the United States in 2003 and I became an employee in 2005. I worked in an office that started with 78 employees and grow into an office of 180. I enjoyed my colleagues. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the increase of employees and finding workspaces for them. The most enjoyable part of this job was working to keep EVERYONE productive and happy.

Pros

Great benefits and the ability to work with great people

Cons

The loss of any colleague through company reductions or the colleague moving on to another job.

My Review for Partner Management position at Tata Communications Ltd.

My day starts with getting update from my team members located globally regarding the issues/problems that have occurred during the time I was away and how I can contribute to the resolution of those issues whether it's customer related, partner related or my internal team related and provide the customer with utmost service. It is a great team work and we work in collaborative mode even we're geographically dispersed. The overall function is to manage the vendor/partner relationship on day to day issues faced by our customers which are directly under the vendor shop. My management provide great support if there is any roadblock or barrier in overcoming the issue. The hardest part of the job is to get the things under control which is directly in hands of the vendors or their underlying providers and get the commitment from them on timely update and in parallel to be able to keep customer calm. Other part of my job is to streamlining the current processes and procedures and to develop new processes as needed as part of creating standard repository for best practices. SLA violations to be discussed with Vendors and claiming credits. As new vendors come onboard, define Service Level Agreement (SLA)s and working with Operations realization team to onboard the partner/vendor and testing of the process/procedures. During new product launch, creation of RACI model and adding new service features into the existing tool set to ensure the customers are supported, tickets are raised and inventory is updated. The most enjoyable part is working in global company which provides great ability -

Pros

Global presence, Company events

Cons

Limited Career Advancement

Temporary position

An ok experience for me. I was glad to assist them for the short time.

Pros

Greeting guest

Cons

Not that friendly

New Hire Perspective...

As a new hire, I've enjoyed the team atmosphere and the company's engagement level with its people. There's plenty of opportunity to make an impact. Its a unique perspective working for a company based in India but sometimes that can slow things down. If you're coming from a large corporation its a great place to leverage past experience (as long as you have patience). Benefits are also very good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tata Communications. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement