Telent

Telent Employee Reviews

United Kingdom143 reviews

organisationprogressionengineercolleagueseniorprojectpoorrole

Not for me

You either know if the job is or isn't for you. Unfortunately this wasn't for me, employer needs to work out what they actually want from their staff and ne clear from job description stage.Sadly I ended up in a job what was poorly described and not what reflected my skill set.90% of staff are amazing and go out their way to help and make you feel welcome.Their definition of a project engineer is that you do everything (Design, Configure/install, Test/Commission and maintain) and are responsible every system so essentially a good all rounder but a master of nothing (good or bad I'm not too sure but I think the quality is not as good as other structures)

Pros

OK perks, most staff are amazing

Cons

Expectations are unclear until you start

Not to bad

Good stepping stone for project management Would recommend but be weary of uncertainty I am currently going through this and fear of losing my job now that our projects have ended

Insights into Telent

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Great place to climb the ladder

i have been with Telent for 5 years, the teams are great and the management are understanding there is great career ladders to get to were you want and endless amounts of training

This is a company that likes to fill your head with false promises of promotion.

I have been working for telent for 8 years and been promised promotion for 6 of them, only to be let down and overlooked more than once, for the other promoted people to do little in the role I had been doing before them, I still work at telent. But not for much longer!

Not a trustworthy company

Always having redundancies through various departments which you will notice if you ever work for them. Every two years. Lead you into false promises. Need a golden handshake entry ticket. Has great packages on offer and potential for business knowledge through courses

Pros

Good pension scheme

Cons

Management talk behind each other and staff, always trying to get one over on each other. No trust

Good people in Leeds but more needed at depot to make a real positive

Worked well with the guys that are dedicated and hard working but depot was far from adequate. It was having a refurbishment when I left so hopefully it's better for the lads now and is run better. The store manager is expected to pick up alot of slack being the only person present most of the time.

Very stressful job with low pay

The job is very demanding and stressful but pay is low. There is a lot of bullying going on, especially from men. The blame culture is very strong. Not a good place to work!

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Low pay and long hours

Poor HR, Upper Management and Job Stagnation

I was constantly under utilised, asking for more work but unable to obtain any. I wanted to progress but the only option I was told was if my manager left. Moving elsewhere once in a role was unobtainable. Poor management is rife in the London rail sector, upper management always make excuses and cover department failures pushing project and contract management to be under high pressure and work unpaid additional hours to make up for them.Having left the company years ago now but staying friends with some of my colleagues who are still within the business it’s atrocious that HR are still failing, IT support is abysmal and even after reshuffling departments the issues all still exist and get glazed over by upper management.

Pros

It’s a job

Cons

Expected unpaid overtime, Poor management, High stress

Very good place to work

Been at the company for around about 7 years now. Started off as a Field Based Engineer and have since promoted into Management. Career progression is always looked at by management and I feel I'm a good representation of this. The communication with higher managers and directors is very open. All in all, a very pleasant place to work!!

Foot in the door of the rail transport industry

One of the lowest paid companies in the London Underground and rail industry. But a decent stepping stone to gain experience and move on to a proper paid job elsewhere. As someone who works for the company I find although I’m currently content I am looking to move on as I simply cannot afford a place and furthermore living expenses in and around London with the current wage. The company as I’ve known it are always in desperate need of engineers as most move onto better paid work with tfl and other rail companies. Basic case of loads of managers but few engineers.

The company is not Productive and not fun workplace. Management is poor and not a great place to work .

Overall not a great place to work for and the management is very very poor and not productive as well. The company is not a great place to work and also alot of staffs keep leaving the company because they are not being look after or treated well

Good place to be

Well supported by management and recognised for efforts with pay rises and rewards. Work is full on but work/life balance is respected. Plenty of training both work and well being related

Good job but poorly organised.

Good job but poorly organised and lacked support from manager. Sufficient training not offered to do the role and expected to undertake tasks above pay grade.

Pros

Outdoor environment

Cons

Lack of training

Flexible working, good pay and technical training

Flexible working from home and around start/finish times. Received plenty of technical training. Found Network Services to a really good team of people to work with.

Absolutely rubbish.

Couldn’t run a kids football team. Office staff expect you to risk your job to get work completed. Management is comical and have you out doing the same job over and over again as they can’t keep tabs on what is done or not done as paperwork is constantly getting lost in the office. How this company makes any money is a total mystery. Wages are wrong every month, not getting paid for overtime and money being taken from you for using their vans to get to work.

Pros

Do nothing all day

Cons

Low pay

Misogynistic culture

I ended up working on the same project for 14.5 years as a NOC Technician and in that time watched every male counterpart promoted to engineer, not most but EVERY single one. I left as it was made obvious to me that I would never be allowed to progress.

Pros

Don't work here if you are female

Cons

Good salary

Diverse organisation with great development opportunities

Working for a Telent as a large diverse company brings lots of opportunity to learn different markets, products and services.Really high profile customers with really interesting projects and services.Telent compete against much larger organisations and can match on scale, but be much more agile and flexible. The team work which generates this is great to be part of.Telent has great development programs from entry level right through to senior management.

Pros

Personal development opportunities and variety of markets

Cons

Fast pace and continually changing to ensure right for the market. Not a negative, but not for everyone.

Great place to get started in project management

Great place to start a career in either project management or engineering. Essentially a great stepping stone to other things. Graduate scheme is good justs need to work on mentoring framework. Issue with telent is they would rather bring in new resources rather than develop or promote from within. Therefore you run the risk of stagnating. Hence the stepping stone comment.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Relies to readily on secret heroes stepping to pull them out of a hole

A job you can really enjoy

Since being at telent my responsibilities have got greater, a load of trust can be placed on you and job is really enjoyable. But the down side is the poor pay increases (of any) and the management is overlooked by higher management when bonus are discussed. But it is a job for life if you can cope with little pay rises and loads of work.

Pros

Good team work and enjoyable work

Cons

Poor pay reviews and bonus structures

Good work and benefits, poor workflow and task management

Work itself is straight forward and rewarding. Pay and benefits are good. Excellent training opportunities and support from company/management. Great work/life balance.Time management and work assignment processes are very poor despite constant feedback. I have gone periods without assigned work, despite there being work that needs doing, because management haven't assigned me the work yet (or don't want to due to politics).Pressure from management to book as many billable hours as possible on timesheets, but also lots of pressure from Project Managers to not book time to their projects. Silly system focussing on gaming the metrics rather than being honest about the work we do.

Pros

Work/Life balance, pay/benefits, job security

Cons

Work assignment process, time management process

A very very poor project based organisation.

Whether it is telecoms, rail or highways. They regularly fail to delivery important projects. It is the same poor performing Managing Directors and Senior Project Managers who move around from one failed project to another. They receive long service awards rather than be held to account. It is always the lowly Project Managers and Project Support staff who end up losing their jobs.

Pros

I wish I could say something nice but this is an awful company.

Cons

If other companies want to see how not to run an organisation then look at telent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Telent. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Telent with

Learn about Telent in popular locations

• Telent