Tenpin

Tenpin Employee Reviews

United Kingdom237 reviews

bowlingrotareceptionwhilstfavouritismlaneshiftbar

Good stop gap

It’s a great job for an in between job- and company befits were great , progression can be difficult but it depends what you want. It’s not an overly hard job but can be demanding at busy times of year but would still reccomend as you can also make great friendships along the way.

Receptionist

I am an ex employee at tenpin and I have never come across a company that treats staff so unfairly and so disrespectfully, I had quit my job and the managers were so informal when I left and didn’t even reply to me when I quit.. would think twice about applying to this company.. wouldn’t recommend

Insights into Tenpin

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Not Fun. Also not appreciated for the amount you do. Its a JOKE

You are constantly on your feet. Never have a chance for yourself. Also in peak shifts you may NOT get a break because there are limited staff members so it can become quite draining. You will love the staff members but not the work place SO glad I'VE LEFT!!!!. Minimum wage aswell. Staff should deserve more.

Pros

Being able to hand my notice in and leave

Cons

Long hours with such little pay for how much I did

Although fun. Management are terrible.

When I started off working here it was amazing. Great friends, okay hours and the management were really helpful. I tried really hard to fit in and luckily for me I was one of the staff that was able to make friends very quickly. As time went on, I noticed a few things I didn’t like with management, in the chat used by staff and managers, they seemed to sound really nasty in the messages, and although we followed authorities by management, everything that was slightly amiss seemed to be recognised and we were blamed. Going in I asked what the environment was like and my manager said there was a lot of cliques and some found it tricky to fit in. A lot of people quit after the first few weeks and I could understand why. There is a lot of drama between staff and it’s sometimes brought into work which makes it awkward especially if you’re new trying to make friends. A lot of staff use the office just as a place to relax which is usually the manager favourites. When this happens there’s sometimes just one or two staff members left on the floor which can make things really difficult. Overall, I have made some amazing friends, for life hopefully. We’ve all bonded so amazingly and I think it’s because we all share alot of the same difficulties there. If you’re a young person looking for part time work on the weekends and to make some new friends, it’s great. I’d say leaving school or early college. It’s great.

Pros

Free food and drink plus free bowling

Cons

Weekend hours. And limited weekday shifts

Fast Paced

Tenpin is good if you’re looking for something fast paced that involves a lot of problem solving and collaboration. The pay isn’t great for certain age brackets but they do offer free meals which isn’t too bad. It’s good for someone wanting a lot of variety in their day to day as you’ll never be bored during peak times.

Pros

Free Lunch

Cons

Late Nights

Toxic

A toxic place to work.. poor management nothing gets dealt with the blame is passed into the staff.. the only good point is the staff that you work with that makes your shift a little better..

Enjoyable

Enjoyable place to work, friends have been made and will be kept throughout the years. This job allows progression and training schemes to allow development.

Friendly employee level staff, horrible management.

Young friendly staff environment, great work culture among the customer service assistants. Horrible toxic management system where staff are belittled, berated and punished for out of work commitments, being off sick, having mental or physical problems, disabilities and defending yourself from their awful mistreatment.

Pros

Decent pay and good social aspect.

Cons

Horrible work hours, terrible management, mistreatment etc

Hard work

You’re expected to do so so many jobs through out the shift. You are never left to chill even if it is quiet so don’t be lazy! They always find jobs for you and if you are a lad, expect to do all the dirty jobs. You get very little thanks from your managers for work you put in. Shift pattern is unsociable and changes up to days before so don’t make plans! Terrible pay, unpaid breaks. Constantly monitored by CCTV by management and they almost look around just to tell you to do something while they sit doing nothing. Or should I say stand as if you’re caught sitting they discipline you. Very strictYou get free lunch but you’ll soon turn to bringing your own as your body can take only so much deep fried chicken and chips from the dirty kitchen.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Unsociable hours. Unrewarding

Good workplace.

It's a fun workplace everyone is really friendly but the working hours are quite confusing sometimes, since some people need their shifts covered, but overall it's a good place to work.

Pros

Nice co-workers

Cons

Confusing working hours

Bad management

Biased management, rubbish pay and hostile work environment. Promised shifts you aren’t given and get called in to cover at least once a week because no one wants to come in.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Never get breaks No reliability with shifts Bad pay

Not a good place to stay for long

Management isnt great, you dont have job security as people are always let go for no reason and youre always thinking youre next to be fired. However, pay is decent and good team members to work with and occasional free staff meals.

It’s a alright place to work

The people that you work with are lovely but management it confusing as different managers have different rules for what you should and shouldn’t be doing. Your shifts also tend to change without you being told.

Pros

Free food, discounts on many things.

Cons

Never really knowing when your going to work.

good place to work, nice people

the work pacing isn't consistent, speaking for myself can't say I really learned much on the job but they do train you if necessary and will support you as neededprobably the hardest part of the job is having to work on your own in the kitchen during rush hour, otherwise it's not bad at all; it helps that the managers and staff working there are nicemaybe the pay could be higher for kitchen staff, but otherwise it seems about right

Not a place to stay long

It was alright after a few days then slcertain managers got too rude and in your face. Whenever situations would arise and you’d call in they wouldn’t pick up the phone - but punish you for not turning up

Pros

Free food

Cons

Shifts Pay Not respected

Don't bother. Unprofessional management. Stressful, overworked and under-paid

Started there part-time (evening and weekends), within a couple of weeks was doing 35 hour weeks as they were so under staffed. Had several conversations with management regarding hours and the rota would be OK for one week then revert back to long hours. When I decide enough was enough one manager told me all my reasons for wanting to leave were because I had changed and was stressed (any wonder!!) and after that just completely stopped talking to me. Completely unprofessional, glad I'm out of there.

Pros

Free bowling

Cons

Under staffed, stressful and unprofessional management

The only positive is the people you work with

Overworked, undertrained yet expected to know how to do everything then yelled at when you can't. The people you work with are usually lovely and the only redeeming factor, some of the managers are lovely too but others have no clue what they're doing and take it out on the underpaid CSA's. You get paid very little to deal with awful customers and far too much of a workload. There's absolutely no chance of a work/life balance either as all day shifts aren't uncommon. Also if you get trained in the diner you have to deal with customers complaining about the quality of the food as if you personally made it by scratch and chose the prices when it's all frozen stuff.

Pros

Your colleagues might be great but that's it.

Cons

Long hours, underpaid, incompetent management, awful customers.

Toxic management

Work mates were friendly. Took me in like family. But the management were awful! The GM was a weirdo. That looked up all the female workers and you get the point. When I needed help, I radioed through for someone to come. No one came. Then the GM came over and had a go at me for not addressing who.

Pros

Free lunch. Free bowling

Cons

Put me on kitchen when wasn’t trained. 15 hour shift. Back in the next morning at 9-5.

Minimum wage Minimum effort

Work smarter not harder, and with saying that you'll have to work hard for minimum wage. Hard to balance work life and home life as rota is often late up and you only get a week's rota at a time so can't make definite plans. Even if you do your shifts could change at a moments notice. The higher ups fail to recognise or properly reward those working in sites for all the hardwork, without the staff actually serving customers the company would have collapsed years ago. It probably helps their competitors are just as bad as they are. Majority of staff I have had the pleasure of working with have been fantastic, but feel a lot failed due to inadequate training and no input from managers except from at your monthly probation reviews. Trying to get trained by a colleague who also has to serve a lot of customers is a bit of a joke. It would have been better if a lower ranking manager, like the unit supervisor, was given the task of thoroughly training you. Instead you're shown the basics in an hr or so and then that's it you're left to it.

Loved it

Tenpin is a challenging but rewarding business. It is full of amazing people and I enjoyed every minute of my time there. Head office can be helpful and those I did meet were great.

Pros

Development, Great people and support

Cons

Challenging at times

Awful workplace

Terrible, all members of staff are stressed to the max as not enough staff to keep up with the busy environment, staff and managers get stressed and take frustrations out on younger employees, no work life balance and for minimum wage it is really not worth it. A definite no from me

Pros

Free meal

Cons

Very long hours, no chance to do anything other than work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tenpin. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Tenpin with

• Tenpin
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?