Tesco

Tesco Employee Reviews

United Kingdom15,731 reviews

Found 15,731 reviews matching the searchSee all 18,560 reviews

Okay

The company is okay to work for. The management can be quite demanding, especially when asking you to stay late or do extra shifts. Can take a while getting use to.

fun place to work

lots of training.perks like 10pec cent of all shopping,15 per cent off up to 4 days after each pay day. flexible hours .uniform and free tea, coffee .proper breaks. .so you can make toast on your breaks. also free fruit available every day pears apples bananas oranges.decent canteen nice and clean. management are friendly.good rate of pay for driving a small van.

Insights into Tesco

Based on 1,733 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things

fun workplace

Lovely colleagues to work with and friendly workplace. However long hours and lack of communication from management. Not paid enough for the job role and the area I lived in

Busy and understaffed but nice and friendly staff

Never enough staff in the store causing angry customers and a much more stressful workplace for everyone there, good pay for young people looking to apply the staff are nice and coworkers are very supportive

Pros

Cons

Unpaid breaks

No home/work balance

shift work so lates to mids to early's back to lates. Constantly asking you to do overtime and make it sound like the end of the world if you are ill or have an emergency.

Pros

Benefits, sick pay

Cons

long hours with constant shift changes through the week

It's ok.

Enough said. It's ok. My manager is supportive sometimes but seems to want to make herself seem in power when in front of higher ups and won't hesitate to make me seem in the wrong (when I'm not) to do this.

Typical supermarket work

A fairly boring and repetitive job. The pay was ok but not brilliant. 9 hour days with multiple (unpaid) breaks. Sometimes had to work through breaks when no staff were available to cover.

Alright work place

Decent pay but hard to get time off when needed, long hours and little social interaction. Found it to be quite miserable experience with little support from management.

Underpaid customer assistants

Express stores will drain you go for big stores to keep your sanity small stores expect you to do everything from cleaning to stocking shelves taking deliveries serving customers and more all in one day for less than you get paid at larger stores for doing less

Pros

Free bakery

Cons

Barely above min wage

Gone downhill massively

When I first joined things were brilliant, excited to get involved and run an express store and managing it the way I wanted to get the results. Over the years that I worked there, things changed massively. Numerous redundancies and structure changes which basically resulted in people being paid less to do the same job. Massively overstretched staffing budgets and the expectations are ridiculous compared to what is actually achievable. As a store manager my contracted hours were 36 but realistically, to meet the expectations, you need to do around 50-60 hours a week consistently to get all your tasks done as well as running shifts, 10% of your time is actually being a store manager.Directors of the business are more interested in puffing their chests out and looking big rather than supporting the needs of the stores and brush aside any concerns that you have.In all honesty, it’s the worst move I have ever made and massively regret joining.

It s Ok

If you are looking for a full time job, it’s not for you When you have the interview, they tell you , they just do part time contracts, but is a lot of overtime… is not true …

OK, but long hours

Long hours, and lots of balls to juggle, if you build the right team, it can be enjoyable. Very customer focused and puts lots of effort into inclusively, but its all driven by the manager. If you don't get a good one, these policy's are not implemented

Pros

Great team work

Cons

Managers not helpful, fast paced and very early starts

Management not very good, also rarely give out permanent contracts and are always asked to do overtime.No career progression as well so if you are a student you need to find a graduate job asap

Poor management

Just expect people at you.old contracts to whine about the job.tell you how they get paid more to do less. Don't except support from manager. As just say oh that them being them..

Cons

Terrible food over priced

Every day is different

I enjoyed working there at first but management had let me down (Maybe because I am a woman?) Was told I could progress after my apprenticeship but it ended up being given to someone who failed the apprenticeship and I was left picking up the mess they left behind. Never felt supported with everything that went on in my time there and was constantly batted down by management saying I couldn’t do my job yet I was doing it better than some including the one who got a promotion - but he was so far up managements A….. no respect for the employees that actually work hard Left as soon as I could due to thisThis was within TESCO MAINTENANCE

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Long hours, no support

Worked in F&F section and it was very easy. Nice people to work with, easy work and good pay. I worked there during my a levels but had to leave to focus on my education but I enjoyed my time there none the less! Would recommend as it’s quite easy work!

Poor work life balance

They give out full time contracts very rarely. So working part time you are constantly pressured to work extra hours/days often not suitable with family life. Management are moody and disrepectful - a result of constantly getting their backsides kicked from above. They want to be seen as promoting healthy foods and yet when schools are out they have huge discounts on chocolate, biscuits, cakes etc. Overtime pay is often missed and good luck getting anyone to help in pay discrepencies. One of the many greedy corporate giants in this world pretending to care.

not a bad job

not a bad job but boring repetitive and management haven't got a clue constantly change of managers too thr point that no one is managing anything and no point in complaining as nothing ever gets done.

Relaxed

Plenty of time to do your calls. Everyone happy to see you as your bringing their shopping! Nice team in the store is was in. All uniform provided although the boots were horrible for my feet!

Slower paced

No support and communication No job security Some nice people to work withProblems don’t get fixed Machines don’t get repaired Management don’t listen

Pros

Free tea and coffee

Cons

No job security

Alright

I was constantly changed departments without warning. Took a massive toll on my mental health. I eventually had enough. The managers act nice to begin with but speak to you like dirt a couple weeks in. I had to stay off for mental health at some point and they didn’t believe me and asked for a doctors note. End of my contract wasn’t asked to come back.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Tesco with

• Tesco
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?