Tesco

Based on 1,686 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things

okay work place

the money is okay for the amount of work you do. Tescos is perfect for students and people who have another career lined up. all in all, its an okay place

relaxed

good place to work with great management. great work life balance and also good for students. however the hours were very limited sometimes which is the only downside.

Fun place to work

I worked in dotcom picking the online shopping. Very tiring job as you’re always on your feet picking items for customers. But was working with an amazing team.

No fun to work

Not good company to work for . Mangers are not mangers they not interested what happens when working for them put customers before there employees

Pros

Discount

Cons

No cons

Fun place to work, great team with a really friendly atmosphere.

The job is a really varied, some days you'll be on the till whilst other days you will be replenishing stock or taking deliveries. There is a really great atmosphere amongst both staff and customers.

You can do better

Management Job adverts sound great but in reality you will be run off your feet, work long hours over your base contract for no extra pay. Unless you are tough you will be blamed for All sorts of …….As i say if you are tough, are willing to work extremely hard and can stand up to senior managers you may be ok

Not bad

Worked for these when I was 17. For my age, it was fine - decent pay, decent management. If you treat them well, they'll treat you well. Only bad side is they open early and close late - my shifts were 8pm - 12:30am 5 days a week (whilst at college) which had an affect after a while.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Late hours early starts

Productive, enjoyable

Was a brilliant place to work had amazing colleagues and management.The job was fast paced and sometimes expectations where to high in what was achievable in time frame given especially if store was busy. Pay was not that great but with staff discounts and bonuses that helped.

Driver unreasonable times for deliveries

Times given to do tasks we're nearly impossible roads at summer time are 3 or 4 times as busy but no allowance given for this. Maps given to find places about 5 years out of date.

Pros

Nil

N/a

Tesco was a great job to have. I was able to easily balance my work schedule and maintain a social life as well as working toward my a levels. Overall I recommend it.

Fast pace in the warehouse

Not a bad place to work if you're fast on your feet. Far too many performance reviews I felt. Quite shocked about the 2000 staff turnover just at the Reading DC.

Lied to

When I applied for Tesco I was told it would be a permanent role on nights, it was only after I was offered the job that it was changed to a temporary contract. They waited until I had already been told I got the job and put my notice in at my then current job before deciding to switch it to temp. Knowing at that point you didn’t really have a choice but to take it. They definitely took advantage of my age when ending the temp contract as I was hired with 2 others for the job and they kept both of the others on permanently I asked why as I had never called out sick and always completed all tasks given, i was told it was because the other 2 had kids and needed the job more.It was rare to see the night managers as they would spend all their time in the office other than at the start of the shift to tell people what area they would be working

Pros

Discounted food in staff dining area, people

Cons

Untrustworthy during hiring

Fast paced Job

If you are willing to work and graft you’ll be fine, Driving a truck around with cages picking ordered for stores.Hard part is hitting 92% week in week out.

Monotonous and Rife with issues

Long story short it was fine in the first month or so but afterwards there was little to no variety or engagement with staff to ensure happiness and an overall good work culture

Brilliant first job

Worked for tescos for 3 years as a first job, was brilliant place to work, I worked checkouts and enjoyed dealing with the customers face to face, brilliant pay for a 17 year old at the time.

Tesco

Loved my job at first but now they expect so much of you to pick at the best you can when getting up at 1am to start at 2am isn't hard enough everything in the job is backwards an they do nothing by the books only when they choose

Pros

Fun friendly colleagues

Cons

Early early mornings

fine but stressful

working at tesco was good pay as i started there at 16 on 8.21 and left at 18 on 9.55. however, no regards for mental health or illness, they tell you that you need to call in sick on the call line, many times is be calling over 60 times over a 2 hour period and the just give up. some managers are so so nasty it’s awful but the pay was good.

Awful management

Bad place to work. Didn't enjoy, made a couple of friends but managers made it tougher than it needed to be and were constantly rude and dismissive to myself and other temps.

Been beep beep

Working solely at tills self serve is mind numbingly boring, working self serve is like some cruel punishment. They have initiatives which should you complete the reward never comes to pass. Unless your face fits, your just their to make up the numbers and do the shifts nobody else wants.

Great company to work at

Excellent company great benefits and discounts available to members of staff. Great staff moral and plenty opportunities to progress your career within tesco

Boring and low paid job!

Not the best job about managers expect too much from employees while they take long breaks.The salary is at the minimum level so its not worth it.You also have to deal with alot of annoying customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesco. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement