Tesco

Tesco Employee Reviews

Found 14,234 reviews matching the search
I worked in an express store. Fast paced environment the job was good as were company benefits but the atmosphere was terrible. Very 'cleeky', staff that gossip, bad mouth other staff and the management don't care as the staff involved do essential tasks. The new system sees managers move stores every 6 months, they only care about looking good to senior management. Also don't care about mental health even though they say they do. Always short staffed due to budgets which leaves you regularly working alone on the shop floor up to 11pm. Would only recommend tesco as a stop gap for students
Pros
Salary, pension, benefits
Cons
Cleeky, corporate, physically and mentally exhausting
Unless your face fits don't bother trying to get anywhere besides the bottom. Colleagues getting disciplinary actions for pathetic reasons. Management don't talk to one another and you get left behind trying to balance everything then get told off because your behind.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Everything else
I really enjoyed working at Tesco. The interview process was great fun & got me really looking forward to starting. I started as a Christmas temp & was thankfully kept on. I worked there for about a year before I left for family commitments but I wouldn't hesitate in returning to this company. Great staff room facilities, Tesco discount card, staff uniform provided, great team/colleagues, fab pay especially overtime hours/Sunday working. Set hours each week with overtime hours available whenever you like
Pros
Pay, uniform & team, hours
Cons
Nothing that I can think of
Friendly, lots to learn, challenging and good pay. Lots of opportunities to experience new things and experience different working environments. Tesco try’s to be very supportive.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Workload
Managers seem to do and say whatever they like to staff. Rude to staff, inappropriate language and you get by if your liked.Working here has caused stress and decline of mental health which lead to registration.
i was only there as a Christmas temp. which was a real shame as I really enjoyed working there. All the staff I met were friendlyand helpful .Nice canteen with free drinks, fruit and toast, lockers, free uniform, and just a nice vibe .
Pros
the canteen
Cons
they didnt keep me on
They can treat the younger lot like kids, flexible work times but never go on a flexible contract as they will just abuse that, overall fun place to work if your with the right people.
Claim they take people on worked for 14days straight with 2days off and was handed my notice for the hard work i had done for the past 3 weeks absolute joke the company is even caught a shoplifter while i was working for them and thats the thanks you get
Pros
Cons
Use you then let you go
Ive enjoyed it but i think we deserve better pay at the moment,we are wotking through the lockdown during the pandemic,risking seeing thousands of people a day just so we can keep seving them and then i go home to my family of hubby and 3 children..
Worked in the Dotcom department for a good 4 years intermittently while at college/university. Hours can be all over the place, especially around the Christmas period. Management was always friendly but some of the duty managers are lazy and would rather stand around and watch chaos ensue as opposed to stepping up and helping out. Made some great friends at Tesco, always friendly people to talk to. The job itself is incredibly monotonous at times and not very rewarding.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Unsociable Hours
If you ever need a new cleaner for your stores , let me know. Great people and good atmosphere.I live in Brighton and loved meeting the local customers. I enjoy working with female cleaners since I find them great company and easy to get along with. The work is manual and rewarding and one feels proud of doing a good job and helping the company.
Pros
Wages were ok. Could be better.
Cons
Too short hours . I would have like full time store cleaner ad my role.
It’s an okay company to work for but there is lots of favouritism from the managers, if they don’t like you you’ll get in trouble for the smallest things like being 1 minute late from break. They will accuse you of anything at anytime like stealing and make up poor evidence against you. If they like you however you can get away with anything.
Pros
Alright pay and good hours
Cons
Favouritism, bullying
I was a temp over Christmas period and it started off fine and everything was good. January comes around and there is a shift in the work place between staff and managers. I couldn’t do my job properly as I wasn’t trained right and couldn’t work over my contracted hours yet I was made too.
Pros
Friendly staff, 10% discount
Cons
Managers have a lack of sympathy, not paid for what you have to do, awful work ethic regarding managers
Loved my time 18yrs at Tesco head office in Dundee. There are many different rolls and I enjoyed them all. All good facilities and well looked after. Some team leaders were a bit full of them selves but overall good hard working collegues. I am retired now but Tesco have a very good pension scheme which I could not live without Reccomend Tesco to all.
Pros
Facilities are all in place.
Cons
Can get very noisey on a contact centre
This company uses an agency to find most of their workforce and as such you have little to no rights or support or even sufficient training. They will then chase you to work as hard as you did on your best day when the assignments were manageable. Also they expect this whilst also trying to follow government guidelines concerning social distancing (Covid) - these two things are incompatible.Management are incompetent then find any available scapegoat to dump the blame on.
Pros
Exercise while gyms are shut
Cons
Literally everything else unless you count the significant salary increase for night shift
Honsetly they are lovely people and had one of the best managers I've ever had, good pay, only part time contracts till your a supervisor, lovely staff and made life long friend working here Some of the managers lack personal skills
Pros
Lovely people, flexibility in hours
Cons
Only part time work
Tesco recognises individual employees, the management are easy to approach and there are always opportunities to learn new tasks and also to progress your career.Working plans and hours can be flexible and there is usually opportunity to work extra hours.Sundays and night shift work offer higher rates of pay.Training is on-going and regularly updated. A lot of training is undertaken online and is completed during working hours. The company focuses on customer fulfilment and a lot of the training deals with how to react in all customer situations. Training covers legal issues such as sales of alcohol, tobacco products and any other items which could be mis-used.Supervisors and Managers are approachable and Tesco offer colleague discounts and pension schemes. Colleagues also benefit from staff canteen facilities with complimentary snacks and drinks.
Pros
Complimentary snacks, pension scheme, colleague discount card, free uniform and PPE
Cons
Sometimes handling large or heavy items.
Working in click and collect department was ok apart from working every Saturday afternoon from 2-8 that was the only reason that I left, I didn’t feel comfortable asking for any time off so that was the reason I left. It was never really that busy so we had to fill the shelves which was good cos it passed time much quicker
The people I work with at Tesco are helpful but also fun which makes for a good work experience. The managers are understanding, however honest when you make a mistake to make sure you learn from that mistake. The managers give you advice on how to improve your work productivity as well. Overall my experience at Tesco has been very good.
Pros
Good pay and colleague discount
Cons
Physically straining sometimes
I got a seasonal job over the Christmas period. They make you think that it could lead to a permanent job if they were happy with you. So you do all the 5am starts and work Boxing Day, New Years Eve, and generally jump through all the hoops they ask you to. Then you get told you are not being kept on, not even taken into an office or somewhere private. Checkout manager speaks to you at your checkout. You then find out that the seasonal workers kept on permanently are friends with the manager outside work. The checkouts are filthy and you are told to clean it yourself but during the Christmas period it was so busy there was no time between customers.Dreadful place to work!!!
Pros
Cons
Long hours and very early starts
The company has helped me progress. My managers are very helpful towards progression and overall just friendly. The company as a whole is nice, just depends on the location
Pros
Colleagues are amazing
Cons
Expect overtime
  1. Employee reviews