Thames Valley Police
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

Thames Valley Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom141 reviews

thamespoliceorganisationvalleyofficercrimerolecolleague

I generally like working here

I really enjoy working here and for the first time ever, I don't mind Monday mornings which is fab, however the pay isn't great for the particular job I'm doing at the minute and I am struggling to progress into other departments or job roles that do pay adequately despite having ample experience and qualifications. The job isn't particularly challenging for me and I haven't had the opportunity to complete any training or development.

Pros

Great work life balance, can book A/L easily

Cons

Lack of progression and lack of promotion

Fun and productive

Amazing place to work, can be high pressured at times but the people you work with make it all worth while. very friendly environment to work in and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here

Insights into Thames Valley Police

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction

Wonderful people. Not enough of us.

I have been in service for many years. I have good colleagues and line managers. There are simply not enough of us. Staff turnover is high. We all want to help the public but we only have so many Officers / staff to deal with so many incidents. Wait times for 101 can often be longer than an hour. We adopted a new computer system a couple of years ago which crashes frequently and is unfit for purpose. We are sadly failing the public and we do not want to. There are no easy solutions.

27 October 2022
Thank you for your service and taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your feedback and are happy to see that you find the role interesting and enjoy working with your colleagues and managers. In regard to your above concerns, we would typically encourage you to get in touch with your line manager or the management team in your department in the first instance. Alternatively, we suggest speaking with someone you feel comfortable with within the force.As an emergency service, we have to be mindful of balancing the welfare of our staff with the safety of the public, and do not shy away from the pressures this can create. Please be assured that we are taking steps to improve the above concerns with the leadership team, and are also actively recruiting for a variety of roles across all Control Rooms to manage staffing expectations.

Great opportunities for development

A great employer, lots of opportunity for development and career skills. Great benefits including flexible working, hybrid working and a reward and benefits scheme.

27 October 2022
Thank for your review and for your service, we really appreciate it! It's great to hear you're enjoying your role, are feeling fulfilled by your work, and are taking advantage of available development opportunities.

Lack of support

I work with skilled colleagues and the job is very rewarding yet extremely hard. Due to this, you would expect an understanding management with regular welfare checks. However this place is the complete opposite. The management are constantly picking at small problems, even things such as taking a few extra minutes on personal breaks, having to put a specific code in your phone so they know what you’re doing at all times, there is no trust. If you want to work somewhere where you feel like you are still in school, work in the control room! There is no support and everyone is leaving. If you want annual leave in summer, make sure to book 15 months in advance, even then, i’ve had multiple days rejected for leave that far ahead. If you have an emergency and are working, shift swaps are your only option. The pay is good which is the only reason they have staff. If they didn’t have a shift allowance they would not have a single bum on their seats.

Pros

Rewarding role. Great team

Cons

Micro managing supervisors

27 October 2022
Thank you for your service and taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your feedback, positive or otherwise, and are happy to see that you find the role rewarding and enjoy working with your colleagues. In regard to your above concerns, we would typically encourage you to get in touch with your line manager or the management team in your department in the first instance. Alternatively, we suggest speaking with someone you feel comfortable with within the force.As an emergency service, we have to be mindful of balancing the welfare of our staff with the safety of the public, and do not shy away from the pressures this can create. We regret that your experience isn’t as expected, and have raised this internally. Please be assured that we are taking steps to improve the above concerns with the leadership team, and are also actively recruiting for a variety of roles across all Control Rooms to manage staffing expectations.

Think again before applying here

The morale at this workplace is at an all time low. Everyone is fed up, there is no support for staff, welfare really isn't considered. you are purely just a number to them for calls. they claim to care about welfare but nothing is being done or changed. we are overworked and get little to no praise for the work we do. the pay is good, however sometimes its not worth it.

22 August 2022
Thank you for your service and taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your feedback, positive or otherwise.In regards to your above concerns, we would typically encourage you to get in touch with your line manager or the management team in your department in the first instance. Alternatively, we suggest speaking with someone you feel comfortable with within the force. Management are aware of the possible pressures working as a Call Handler can create, and are actively working with staff to try and reduce this.In response to concerns about your mental health, your line manager should be the first point of contact as they can provide guidance, nevertheless we have a variety of support systems and buddy schemes in place at TVP. For further information, please search 'mental wellbeing' on the TVP's force intranet. We hope this information proves useful.

Rewarding but stressful

Not a very good work, home life balance, a lot is expected of you with little support from management. Welfare is not taken into consideration. Raised issues are not dealt with resulting in experienced staff leaving

Pros

Job Security

Cons

Long Hours

22 August 2022
Thank you for your service and taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your feedback.In regards to your above concerns, we would typically encourage you to get in touch with your line manager or the management team in your department in the first instance. Alternatively, we suggest speaking with someone you feel comfortable with within the force.In response to concerns about your mental health, as an emergency service we have to be mindful of balancing the welfare of our staff with the safety of the public, and do not shy away from the pressures this can create. Your line manager should be the first point of contact for these concerns as they can provide guidance, nevertheless we have a variety of support systems and buddy schemes in place at TVP. For further information, please search 'mental wellbeing' on the TVP's force intranet. We hope this information proves useful.

Pretty good

Decent place to work, you don’t get an awful lot of thanks for the work that you do, but it is a very satisfying job.

Pros

The people

Cons

Not paid enough

4 August 2022
Thank for your review and for your service, we really appreciate it! It's great to hear you're enjoying your role and are feeling fulfilled by your work.As Police Staff, we've recently implemented salary reviews in order to continue to support our workforce the best we can. If you would like further details, please check in with your line manager and look on TVP's intranet.

Good place to work.

Great place to work , relaxed , good work life balance.Large area many different offices to work from. Management are understanding and listen well.Great car fleet and lots of driving courses available,

30 June 2022
Thank for your review and for your service, we really appreciate it! Wishing you all the best in your career.

Good place to work with ways to progress

Developed a lot of good skills through this role and enjoy the people I work with. I have also been able to develop and take part in wider job opportunities apart from my day to day role.

Pros

good team, opportunities to grow

Cons

Constant changes that don't benefit the department/company.

30 June 2022
Thank for your review and for your service, we really appreciate it! It's great to hear that you've had opportunities to develop and explore work outside of your day-to-day. We encourage you to reach out to your line manager with any concerns regarding departmental changes. Alternatively you can contact your Head of Department, or someone you feel comfortable approaching.

Call handler, stressful, long hours, poor management

Treated like a number from day one. Management were awful and rarely help. I would not advise anyone to go for this job role. You will be burnt out within a year and wondering why you even bother going into work everyday. Callers are never grateful, management constantly ask for faster calls and more work loads. AVOID.

Cons

Long hours, poor management.

30 June 2022
Thank you for your review. We regret that your experience wasn't as expected, and have raised this internally. Please be assured that we are taking steps to improve the above concerns with the leadership team. We wish you every success in your future career.

Lack of funding has killed the job

Difficult to do your job role due to cuts imposed by the government. Expected to carry and investigate many jobs as well as attend calls made by public - can make it impossible to do the job. Not good for ones mental health.

30 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate your feedback, positive or otherwise. We are really sorry that your experience has not been as expected, and we treat all complaints from our employees seriously. If you would like to discuss this matter further, we encourage you to get in touch with your line manager, the management team in your department, or someone you feel comfortable speaking to within the force.In response to concerns about your mental health, your line manager should be the first point of contact as they can provide guidance, nevertheless we have a variety of support systems and buddy schemes in place at TVP. For further information, please search 'mental wellbeing' on the TVP's force intranet. We hope this information proves useful.

A great career

Once in the force it is quite easy to move about, so taking an admin job as a foot in the door is a good idea to get started. From there take any and every opportunity/training to be successful as a civilian.

Pros

No day is the same

Cons

Sometimes long hours

30 June 2022
Thank for your review and for your service, we really appreciate it! We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed the available opportunities whilst at TVP, and hope that you'll remember your time here fondly.We wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

More negatives than positives

Negatives - Bad management with poor communication.- No opportunities for growth regardless of how long you have been there.- can be a stressful workload and there’s a lack support.- horrendous training/induction where there is no real structure to the department.Pros- working in safeguarding- making a difference to vulnerable peoples lives- great opportunity to get experience with a police department- good stepping stone

Pros

Safeguarding experience

30 June 2022
Thank you for the taking time to leave a review - we appreciate your feedback, positive or otherwise. We are really sorry that your experience has not been as expected, and we treat all complaints from our employees seriously. If you would like to discuss this matter further, we would typically encourage you to get in touch with your line manager or the management team in your department in the first instance. Alternatively, we suggest speaking with someone you feel comfortable within the force.Every week new opportunities arise within TVP, and we encourage you to have a look at our internal and external vacancies portal to find out more. There may not be opportunities within your current department, but there may be other roles of interest.In terms of training, we encourage you to search 'learning and development' on TVP's force intranet. You will find a range of online and in-person courses and materials that may help you in your career.

Stressful, under-appreciated, change for the sake of change

6 days on 4 days off consisting of 2 earlies, 2 lates, 2 nights. Typical day starts with briefing, then tidying up paperwork/investigations while balancing this with 999 and 101 calls, and the paperwork that that entails. Bulk of modern day policing is domestics and low level petty crime. Senior management swamp you in paperwork, you do massive files for the CPS which take hours, the job is essentially shafting other people to manage your workload whilst brown-nosing management.

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Long hours No work life balance Very stressful Backstabbing colleagues Poor senior management

30 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate your feedback, positive or otherwise. We are really sorry that your experience has not been as expected, and we treat all complaints from our employees seriously. If you would like to discuss this matter further, we would typically encourage you to get in touch with your line manager or the management team in your department in the first instance. Alternatively, we suggest speaking with someone you feel comfortable with within the force.Being an emergency service with the layout of our shifts, we are aware of the impact this can have. In response to concerns about work-life balance, your line manager should be the first point of contact as they can provide guidance, nevertheless we also have a variety of support systems and buddy schemes in place at TVP.

Depends on your manager

Your experience with TVP will very much be influenced by your line management.Get good ones and your all set. Get bad ones and life’s a misery!If you can put up with the politics, back stabbing and general worry that anything you do can get you sacked or worse then by all means go for it, otherwise don’t believe he hype of those who are “job obsessed” and take my advice and look elsewhere. You’ll have a much happier life and particularly a better home life.

Pros

Cons

Pretty much everything

30 June 2022
Thank you for your service and taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate your feedback, positive or otherwise. We are sorry that your experience has not been as expected, and do treat all complaints seriously. Please be assured that your feedback has been raised with the appropriate management team.We wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

All staff are currently overworked and there are no signs of this improving with a projected shortfall in minimum numbers for most of 2022

The shifts are currently nigh on impossible to work safely, response teams are regularly parading 2 or 3 people below minimum numbers but management assure that this isn't a failure of planning.

Eye-opening

Working in a 999 call centre is an eye opening experience. It takes somebody strong willed with a good ability to switch off from work before going home. The hours are long and the shifts are never the same. It is a lifestyle more than it is a job.

Pros

Good shift allowance

Cons

Long hours, stressful setting

Contact Management Centre Officer Review- Kidlington

Please really think about your decision about joining this area of work. Everybody goes in with the feel of “wanting to help” or “wanting to make a difference”, but I could probably count fingers on two hands on the amount of times I’ve experienced that satisfaction. The hours are long. You work 6 days on and 4 days off, those 6 days on are either 9/10 hour shifts so nearly working 60 hours straight before having a single day off. The 6 shifts are split between 2 earlies, 2 lates, and 2 nights, so your having to constantly adjust your body clock, and actually spend 2 of your 4 rest days trying to re set your body clock. The shifts are hard, and you need to make sure your ticking your stat boxes (taking a certain amount of calls an hour, spending the right amount of time on the phone, not being on “unavailable too long”). Sometimes you’ve just come off a really distressing call, and have multiple crime reports to write out, if your on busy for some time trying to write these reports, there’s a department that sits in a room and emails your boss to ask what you are doing. Your managers also listen in to some of your calls for your monthly manager meetings, and then they’ve hired another department who sit and listen to your calls and score you with how well you have done, then there’s at least one supervisor a shift checking the rooms reports to make sure they are crimed correctly, there seems a lot more money spent on checking and not enough to fund resourcing! Managers sit at the end of the rooms, and are meant to be there to support us when we need advise on criming or sign -

Pros

Not having to do food shopping at a weekend, Working alongside a great bunch of call takers who are let down by team leaders.

Cons

Long hours, unsociable hours (lots of), lack of support from line management, silly office politics

30 June 2022
Thank you for your response, we understand that some time has passed since you’ve worked for us, but wanted to ensure you that your review had been received, and we are in discussion with our leadership teams about how we can reduce stress and improve staff welfare overall.Being an emergency service, we do have to ensure 24 hour cover, hence the layout of our shifts, we are aware of the impact this can have, and are continuously looking at ways to reduce the impact it has.We wish you every success in your future career, if you did want to get in touch to discuss this further, please feel free to contact us on RecruitmentstaffCM@thamesvalley.police.uk

Good company to work for

Salary & pension are decent. Job is varied. Management distance themselves from staff & send out morale boosting/condescending e-mails to compensate for this. Majority of the staff are lovely people willing to help fellow colleagues. Some of the supervisors are unhelpful & untrustworthy, whereas others are extremely supportive & helpful. Job can on occasion feel like working in a complaints department. Plenty of holiday entitlement & overtime opportunities. 6 on 4 off shift pattern is decent. Opportunities for progression.

Pros

Salary, Pension, Shift Pattern

Cons

Complaints, Service quality has dropped since entry process was made "easier".

Professional and compassionate

An excellent workforce let down by poor middle management.Excellent teams of hard working professionals. Marvellous team spirit.Less bureaucracy than many police services.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thames Valley Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement