Thames Water Utilities Limited

Thames Water Utilities Limited Employee Reviews in Swindon

Swindon25 reviews

watertargetcolleaguerolesupportdepartmenthealthteam

Good pay, bad management

The pay is good (mainly because they’re terrified of the union reps within their ranks) but the management are very clicky and if one don’t like you, they tend to all have a problem. Good career progression, if you manage to last 3-5 years you’ll see yourself with Atleast 1-2 promotions and leaving on Atleast a few more grand than you started on.

Good place

It’s fast paced, and you must be able to handle constant changes as no day is ever the same, I feel breaks should be a little longer and pay and benefits are alright

Pros

Stable pay

Cons

Long hours hard customers

Insights into Thames Water Utilities Limited

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction

I worked for Thames for nearly 6yrs only left because I moved. Good working life balance and good pay, everyone friendly and helpful. You can move on with Thames regards going to different departments

Not the best, but over all a good experience l. Management isn’t great and support is low when needing help. Breaks and lunches are paid which is good.

Pros

Good friends

Cons

Pay, support, management

Awful place to work

Unprofessional and awful management. Training was ok but I was called into a unprofessional meeting to discuss personal situations with my health which I felt like I was getting penalised for basically being told off for having doctor appointments (which saved my life). You get little to no support dealing with customers and the job says you’d be answering customers emails, letters and dealing with them on the phones. This is not true you spend all day everyday on the phones for your shift. You get told off if you spend more than 2 mins in the loo which you have to put yourself into a status for. The company track every status and you’ll be on call to a customer for as little as 10 mins before someone messages you asking why it’s taking so long. After call work you have to wrap up in 2 mins otherwise you get penalised for. I feel like there was no win win situation. There’s no training on how to deal with difficult and nasty phone calls and how that can effect your mental health. While I was there many people had been signed off for mental health reasons because of how it was working there everyday. Despite all the negative there are some lovely people but it is not likely you can trust them even if they seem friendly even the managers had drama out in the open.

Pros

Free drinks

Cons

Your own laptop so no sharing

Horrible place to work

Not a great place to work. Poor for mental health and shocking management. They act customer driven but it’s not like that. All selfish, avoid at all costs and please read the other reviews before applying for this job. It’s not an exaggeration, you’ll come home most days upset and drained. Lack of support, management only say certain things to ‘help’ because they have to, not because they care for you. And they act like they care for customer queries but they actually only care about you having a fast phone call and straight into the next call. referring the customer elsewhere always. And if you’re ill? Don’t even bother mentioning it, management getting their stats is more important than your physical and mental health. And IF you have days off ill, management will slag you off constantly, I heard it within my team daily

Zero structure & support

Started a position on their new billing system & was provided with Zero training, little to no support & left to manage a team with zero knowledge including an offshore team that were also new to the business

Just don't! Awful employers

Terrible training, terrible inept management target driven! Customer service doesnt matter, only manager's targets! High staff turnover and they wonder why....

Pros

Hours/shift pattern

Cons

Everything else

Fantasise and fair place to work. Great support. All of the managers are great. Plenty of room for progression. Always understanding around home life.

Don’t do it

Worked in a few departments here. Supposed to have monthly one to ones and weekly coaching. Doesn’t happen. Inconsistent. Some managers care but others just care about ‘looking good’ to higher management. Specialists have always been great and the most caring towards agents but managers on the other hand just care about stats etc. working elsewhere has made me realise how underpaid I was for the work I was completing. If you want something long term- I do not recommend Thames 🥴

Fast paced

Fast paced constantly taking calls one after the other. Management think they are something special and there is a massive belittling and bullying culture. Obsessed with stats and targets

Fast paced but you get a lot of support

Working in the customer service team in billing is bound to present a fast paced everyday work environment with calls you take being timed and the quality of your calls being monitored which is great for personal growth if you want to progress within the business. The more you know about all aspects of troubleshooting customer’s enquiries regarding billing, the more at ease you’d feel about handling calls.

Pros

Job stability

Cons

Processes can lack flexibility

Clicky uncaring morale lacking company

Unfortunately had the displeasure of working for Thames for about a year. The targets and stats I had to hit weren’t an issue I found I did really well in that area. My QM’s on the other had were very up and down the QM check list seems as if it is made to make people fail you feel useless and less than when you don’t get a 90% or above and management only care about what you would look like on paper. There is clicks and the chance of progression is minimal to none unless you know the right person so applying yourself and learning stands for nothing. Lost someone in my family while working there and when taking some time to grieve I was constantly called by the company pressured to come into work as we were very busy ended il being forced to get signed of for only two days to simply be left alone before it affected my mental health. All In all the staff at level 8 are the best. Everyone else is selfish.

Don't work here

Other review sum it up pretty well management are only in it for themselves don't really care about there team.Colleagues are what make the job but constantly being micro managed and toxic management make it horrible lasted 2 months and left Training was great then thrown onto your team and show completely different work and expected to know it without help

Pros

Colleagues pay

Cons

Shift patterns Management Training

Not the job I applied for

Just don’t do it, you’ll regret it and there is a big issue with mental health and people being told the job is one thing and it is something completely different.

Steer clear

Don't be fooled by the salary, Thames Water don't care about you as an employee. They prioritise unrealistic targets over the wellbeing of the employees who make them, and the customers. Training was all good, we were told to put the customer first no matter what, and take our time with their queries and investigate what you can... However, when we got onto the floor, we were basically told to hurry up the call, we were unable to take breathers between calls without it negatively impacting you someway. It got so stressful to the point I had more bad days than good, and got overwhelmed very easily as a result. Support network is a joke, they're only interested if your call is over 20 minutes, just to save their backsides figure-wise! Otherwise all we have from them is them saying "use the intranet", yet I thought their job was supposed to be helping us? Also we weren't trained in specific things and yet were expected to know absolutely everything! Also feels like theyre spying on you to the point you can't breathe! As someone with a learning disability, I found the support network shockingly barbaric. This the most pressurising and mental health draining job I've ever been in and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. No wonder there's such a high turnover! Don't be fooled by "putting the customer first", it's all a con!

Pros

Mon-Fri, break entitlements, free coffee, pay

Cons

Pressurising, damaging to mental health, lack of support, useless senior management who dont give a cr*p, everything else

Shocking company

For a big company they do not deliver they have to much pressure from the regulators. Departments don’t communicate with one another becomes frustrating. Management are bullies

Pros

People

Cons

Too much pressure

Toxuc environment where nepotism thruves

This company displays many of the worst traits of the public sector in the 80's. There is a strong blame culture and nepotism is alive, well and thriving. Projects are approved without proper articulation of benefits, let alone a business case. And yet another business run by powerpoint. Way too many incompetent managers and not enough people involved in delivery. Toxic.

If your face fits

I worked for this company for 6 years. The first three years were great, however I became seriously ill and was in hospital for a long time. When I returned my job which I’d worked so hard for was taken from me. I was passed pillar to post, and was isolated. I was sent to occupational health so many times as they tried to take me to a dismissal because I was under hospital care, that the nurse pointed out to them that she would report them if it continued. I had no option but to leave

Great place

Great place to work with great people. Good work life balance and timings too. Work is stressful but it is interesting. It was good to be a part of Thames Water.

Lovely interview, but don't be to friendly

I was interview here the other week. Interview was great, I had feedback that as positive from both fellow interviewers and members of staff. Unfortunately I did not get the position because "Although you showed good customer service skills your answers where to long and therefore we feel you would not make call times" Because I was nervous and passionate I lost the chance. This was after explaining in my interview I understood targets etc. So, over all the company seem great but they are more willing to employ a fake smile reading from a script than a genuine people person. Be warned, keep your answers short.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Lack of opportunity at the start to learn

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thames Water Utilities Limited. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Thames Water Utilities Limited with

Learn about Thames Water Utilities Limited in Swindon

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?