Thames Water
Happiness score is 54 out of 100

Thames Water Employee Reviews

United Kingdom216 reviews

Poor pay

Expected to do lots of tasks for other departments and this does not get reflected in the pay. Management are often less clued up on processes than the staff working cases day in day out

Team dependent

Lots of change, ended up with awful boss. Started so well, was lovely. Ended up leaving due to awful boss.Example - held personal return to work meeting in communal area.

Insights into Thames Water

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

Boring in front of computer all day

Playing pool at break times and having lunch in the canteen was good and was cool inside in hot weather but the rest was boring just same old helping Thames water guys on the phone and calling customers about Thames water issues. Lucky I didn't work there was just work experience.

Awful place to work

Truly awful company to work for. There is no structure, the company direction isn’t clear with poor communication from the top as to the progress. Senior management in full denial about the state of the company and how to move things forward

Very rewarding job

Once trained, the role became amazing as in the sense the learning aspect was so addictive. Before long you engaged with fault finding, asset management, process management and safety.

Productive, respectful and very proffesional

I’d highly recommend working for Thames water. You gain a lot of experience among very helpful experienced engineers in there and the rest of the staff.

Not a good company

Had an issue on my training. When confronted management, they tried to cover it up and made me look like the bad guy. Management don't have a clue as to how to keep their staff. If there is an issue, instead of rectifying it, they cover themselves. That's probably why they are loosing so many staff. They tell you what you want to hear on induction, but when you are actually shadowing someone, it is an entirely different.

Avoid at all cost

Currently working for Thames Water on the waste side of the business. Salary is way below average. Apprentices receive larger basic pay (in some cases as much as £2000 per annum after qualifying) compared to a time served engineer. Some decent low level managers (site ops managers), but higher tier area managers can be childish and petty. No chance of progression unless your ‘face fits’. Found management at most levels bullies. Thames supports a fair and ethical environment for all employees, unfortunately that couldn’t be further from the truth. Only lips service is paid to mental health etc. managers constantly try to point fingers to deflect their own mistakes. Massively toxic environment.

Loved the people.... Strict workplace though

I loved my time at tw the people and fellow call centre staff are what kept me going as you have to have an outgoing personality to be on the phones.The management were horrible and target driven. You get chastised for going to the toilet or taking a minute to finish up call notes between calls is a no no. its very strict, like being in army camp. Doesn't care about its employees. Also during my time there I would apply to progress and they would always keep me where I was so didn't care about your development then. Pay was poor considering the stress too. Not a nice place to work just the peers that kept me going.

Avoid

Incompetent Management, supervisors made mainly out of lazy drivers with no management skills.Low money for working with sewage.Worn out lorries and long shiftsNot a good place to work

Pros

Can't think of any

Cons

Management Trucks Money Shifts

Collaborative Culture

Typical work day is slow but everyone is easy to work with. I learned to be patient. There is a liaise fair style of management meaning that you are left to your devices unless assistance, approval or more serious matters come into play. The work culture is a bit too relaxed but not too bad. The hardest part of the job is dealing with systems that don't allow you to do your job properly and there is no work around even when solutions are presented. Most enjoyable part of the job is the people you get to work with.

Pros

Good work colleagues

Cons

Low Salaries

Not bad. Some good people managers some really bad

Tried to get a job interview here but never got one after leaving. Branded for life comes to mind. My colleagues were amazing though. Did miss the people I worked with and customers.

Pros

Tea and coffee. Other call centre group managers just not mine.

Cons

Always put on late shifts then told it was the system that gave these

No support or guidance coming out of training, monitored and micro managed on everything. Benefits/progression prospects little to none.

Worked in the contact centre. Avoid this place like the plague. Absolutely no support or guidance coming out of training, you're just expected to know how to do everything and you'll be constantly monitored and micro managed on every single thing you do all day. 'Benefits' are little to none. Prospects of progressing are little to none if you're not a complete robot. Any mistakes you make will be shoved back in your face to answer for like it's a punishment. I've never worked somewhere quite so gross and unwelcoming.

Pros

standard pay and good leave allowance although that's the bare minimum

Cons

long hours, late nights, micro managing, no support, mentally draining

poor employer

no van..no tools ..low pay never enjoyed it. Young managers do not know what they are doing. No tools, no Thames van only hire van. I left last month.Avoid Thames Water.

Pros

driving around all day not doing much

Cons

low pay

Absolute rubbish company

They are all over the place absolutely shambles i wouldnt recommend to anybody only good thing is the salary but for the work youre doing that aint even good enough. They mistreat you and dont take you seriously if your an agency worker and not direct.

Pros

Paid lunch 30minutes

Cons

Long hours Over time not paid Too much driving without pay

Work life balance is poor

Ok company to work for. Pay is pretty poor, standby hours can be long with no manager support. New CEO needs to get back on the shop floor and listen to the engineers!

Pros

Training ok

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, no promotion prospects

People are nice money is good

Management are back stabbers, you know you do a good job and are very good at it, but management doesn't like it as they want to reap the rewards, so they try to get rid of you

Pros

Good money

Cons

Shift patterns

E- commerce

The job I did with them is one of the best job have ever done in my life, cause I worked with highly experience guy, which I find it so difficult to leave the job.

Pros

Nope

Cons

Normal

No support and in willing to offer flexible hours for young Mums

I received little support and they are very stat focussed. Working from home through lock down With 2 kids they were not flexible at all. Would not recommend.

Pros

Cafe and parking

Cons

Silly shifts and not flexible for parents

Would definitely recommend working here. The staff are a great bunch of people. Also staff pulled together to ensure a great team experience. Social life continued outside work with lots of opportunities to enjoy getting to know people more and having a fun night out.

Pros

Equal Opportunities Employer

Cons

Shift work means you can often miss the last bus into town

Easy job,good pay

Good place to work,friendly people,overall good trucks to drive,good facilities in most of the deppo,training provided for the jobs they send you to do....

Pros

Overtime available

Cons

Communication needs to improve

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thames Water. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Thames Water with

• Thames Water
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?