The AA

The AA Employee Reviews

United Kingdom480 reviews

centrebreakdowntargetprogressionpatrolpatternroadsideunsociable

Good workplace!

Good place to work, incentives could be better. Plenty of support when needed. Good work/life balance. Hardest part of the job is how busy it can get and hitting targets.

Less appreciation and stress

Very stressful job and low pay for the amount of call types you deal with. Getting help is a nightmare and you're thrown onto the phones without proper training! Expect you to pick up new processes and system via an email backed with another thousand emails which makes it even more confusing! No time invested into colleagues recently the opposite! Constant call queues and not getting any better! Jobs management is shocking and some processes are even more shocking! Job takes over your life very glad I have left!

Insights into The AA

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues

Stressful, micromanaging and bad systems

Working as a customer service advisor for the AA is stressful and they are constantly on your back for reaching targets and every minute at work is monitored, down to your toilet breaks. A lot of micromanagement and pretty much expected to be a robot at work. And their systems are a joke with systems problems every other day and running extremely slow, talking about a good customer journey when things like these just makes it harder for the staff and the customers waiting for help. Only positive thing was good colleagues and a good team but doesn’t take away from the negatives at this company.

Frustrating and repetitive

I could not bring myself to work for this company again it is soul draining I did meet some lovely people but you are just a number and stats are everything regardless of anything. I was lucky enough to have a lovely manager but they are also limited to what they can doCustomers are just ruthless and you can’t blame them as the company handles claims fairly poorly (if there any issues or even if UW by a different insurer) we’re constantly in back and forth the company allocate no time for you to call the customer back so they get more and more annoyed having to call in and chase. Lasted 2 years and I wish I left a while ago

Pros

Met some nice friends

Cons

Can be draining and stressful

Variable and exciting work

Basically a great job runied by a poor work / life balance and a poor opinion of its staff by upper management. The helping members that are in a situation is the great part of the job and becoming their knight in shining armour, the hours, shifts, lack of a home life and poor pay scheme is the bad part. I worked for the company for 14 years, pay used to be the incentive to work the hours and shifts of the job. Over the years this has dropped off and is now similar to most garages where you can work a normal week (8 - 5) for the same renumeration with no stress, no danger / risk to life, in a warm workshop with interaction between colleagues.

Pros

Nice van, tools and uniform provided

Cons

Long hours, shift work, poor management

Do not become ill whist working at the AA

Team leaders are supportive and colleagues are great, the work is rewarding and fast paced your heart rate is up all the shift as you are constantly pressured to go go go! But a warning - Do not become ill whilst employed here or have a disability, you will be punished and constantly be threatened to be dismissed as you are a birden. There is no flexibility on hours offered even if you need them due to health/childcare. The 3 days off sounds great at the start but by the end of 6 days you are shattered,

Pros

Free food whilst training, gift vouchers, overtime rate

Cons

Operation managers, shift work

Nice job, shame the place is run the way it is.

Job itself is great.Never know where you're going or what you're collecting. Interaction with members is great. However........ management and office staff have not one clue about what the Recovery job actually entails.It's a 9 hour 45 minute day - except it isn't.If they want to keep you out 12 hours they will, and there's nothing you can do about it.Tired? Tough. Got an evening planned? Tough.Dying? Tough.The system says you can do the job, so you will. Don't expect your manager to back you either - he WILL side with the office.If you go to any of the offices (Oldbury, Basingstoke) say nothing, speak to no-one and do not, under any circumstances, say anything, at any time that could be even remotely critical of the company or the way things are done.

Can be interesting . No job is the same

Every job is different . Nice helping people. But you’re stuck out for twelve hours . Office will push you to limit . You need to be strong and tell them no and get back to base . Watch your hours. Shift all over the place . Not worth the hassle . Money ok but it’s a long shift .

Pros

Salary ok, work colleagues good .

Cons

Bad hours and terrible shift pattern.

28 December 2022
Thank you for your open and honest review. We are listening to feedback like this to ensure that the AA is a great place to work. Thank you for being open and honest, and for your time with us. We wish you every success for the future.

Lots of micromanaging.

Once you start working you have little to no help. Pay is not good and you get more work over the months with same pay. Team leaders are mean and fake. Hard to get any help. They will sack you if you’re sick lol

Pros

Remote

Cons

Everything else

Terrible

If your face doesn’t fit, you’ll never progress. They like young starters to mould into what they want and turn them into managers. Any benefits were taken away. Very target focused and strict.

Pros

End of shift

Cons

No comment

28 December 2022
We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience with us. We take feedback seriously and work hard to address it to make the AA a great place to work. Thank you for being open and honest, and for your time with us. We wish you every success for the future.

Fun and enjoyable

.Enjoyable, friendly colleagues, fast paced targeted work.Easy to progress, outside work hours activities arranged. Uniform provided, competitive salary.

28 December 2022
Thank you for leaving a review. This will provide useful advice for others joining us. We wish you every success for the future.

Amazing place to work

Started with the aa around 6 months ago from the get go they are on the ball and look after you. Loving the job been out on the road. They provide you with everything you need to succeed and the team that you work with is mega supportive when you start. Manage your own overtime obviously the shifts are pre loaded so you know what your working and you do work weekends and evenings. All in all I'm super happy with the company.

Good quality training

Great training, and good management and onboarding with a quality grad Bay.Always felt emotional supported with progressive improvement in performance leading to better commissions.

20 December 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We wish you every success for the future.

Enjoyable

It wasn't a bad place to work, not a bad location. Parking was an issue. Facilities available were really good and decent choice of food in the canteen.

20 December 2022
Thank you for sharing our positive experience of life at the AA. We wish you every success for the future.

A friendly bunch

The colleagues were all easy to work with, the higher managers were bigots but I had little contact with them. The work was challenging and brought in new concepts although some of my workmates were a little slapdash about data.All went to pot when Centrica took us over

28 December 2022
Thank you for leaving a positive review. We are working really hard on feedback so it is great to hear that it is having such a positive impact.

No work life balance poor wages No prospects or career path

Give the signs department a miss at all cost unless you like poor wages long hour no life /work balance Not appropriated by head of department unless your face fits

Pros

Company van

Cons

No life balance /low wages not appropriated

20 December 2022
We’re sorry to receive this review. We are listening to feedback like this to ensure that the AA is a great place to work. Thank you for being open and honest.

Fast paced, technical, sometimes dangerous, good fun

Self motivated is the key factor as you work totally on your own . Focussing on making sure the members are assisted with their vehicles, endeavouring to help with a repair or recovery also advising

Pros

Starting and finishing at home

Cons

Kpi has to be met along with sales

20 December 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is great to hear that you were enjoying your career with us.

challenging busy interesting job

Expect to work 12 hrs a day minimumjob deployment system totally illogical, nav system 5 years out of date.local team manager fantastic, senior management clueless and arrogant.lots of variety.

Pros

they pay for everything

Cons

working, nights, weekends and bank holidays.

28 December 2022
Thank you for your review. We are working really hard on employees feedback so it is great to hear that it is having such a positive impact.

Didn’t enjoy

Didn’t enjoy it stupid hours of which wasn’t told to me when I had my interview was told only 2 different shifts! Was always picked up on where I went wrong hardly ever got any good feedback for what I did do right

Good job

Used to be much more options around work. The company are happy to work you to the bone with no home life so suits a young person without responsibilities.

18 November 2022
We’re sorry to receive this review. We are listening to feedback like this to ensure that the AA is a great place to work. Thank you for being open and honest, and for your time with us. We wish you every success for the future.

Must have a can do attitude to your workGood customer service skills Good time keeping great prospects for promotion for the right people.Good team worker excellent training.

Pros

Plenty of work available

Cons

Can be unsocial hours but to be expected

18 November 2022

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The AA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare The AA with

• The AA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?