The AA

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Overall good place to work.

Good place to work and get experience. The job itself is busy and there's always something to do but that makes the day go quicker. However it's difficult to advance as when a role becomes available about 50 people are going for it. Previously the AA offered good benefits but unfortunately this all stopped a couple of years back now (offering take aways, tea/coffee, crisps, cans of pop) the only good thing left is the over time rate which is occasionally offered at £35ph.People are friendly and management is supportive and helpful.

Pros

Shift work, set hours, paid breaks, free parking, free AA membership

Cons

Difficult to advance

The worst

One of my biggest regrets was working for this company. They have no care for their staff within the first week of being there I had to contact HR. The management is very poor I was in a car crash and was denied the time off. Imagine working for the AA insurance and not getting the time off when you’re in a car crash!

Good place

Recommend, treat staff well if you put in the good work. All staff work well and get on, management also fair but firm and don’t suffer fools for long

Pros

Opportunities

Avoid at all costs

I worked here for over 3 years and it was such a detrimental time to my mental health and as well as myself I seen others around me rapidly decline with limited to no help, constantly pushed to the limit, personal breaks removed and given allocated time slots, so you can’t even use the bathroom without being quizzed, having to constantly justify yourself at monthly to reviews as why you didn’t do as well as you should or how you could do better, it’s a game of Russian roulette with the phones and half the time you feel completely stitched with the calls coming through as it’s just angry people wanting to know why there price has increased by £400, managers are lazy and constantly pushing the team, if the team don’t preform they don’t get a bonus, unable to get holidays a year in advance as never any holiday availability, honestly I could go on, if you care anything about your sanity please don’t apply here.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, bullying

Ok to work for if you want a good salary but no time left to spend it

Overall enjoyed dealing with customers in both good & bad situations (very rewarding) from that point of view but poor area management &!pressure to sell eventually made me call time on the job & move on to less well paid but more stable employer

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Poor area management, sales pressure

Soul destroying.

Poor management, cutting costs on a weekly basis always at your expense. Poor working relations between office and patrol staff, them and us with an inability to work together for the good of the customer.

Pros

Loads of overtime.

Cons

Days and nights, Always tired with no real care for safety, Office staff wanting you to bend the rules to help them out but, if anything goes wrong your on your own.

Long days made worst by management chasing figures.

I enjoyed the job which involved helping people in their time of need however over time the love died due to management figure chasing all the time. Work life balance is a swear word as far as management are concerned, combined with forced change of contract resulting in a pay cut I decided after 7 plus years it was time to move on.

Pros

You can earn good money if you give up all your free time.

Cons

Long hours, management have no trust in their staff.

Not worth it

Stressful job with managers who will belittle you. I would finish my job and was unable to turn off my mind from what I had done that day. Get very little help when you have a customer on hold.

Good

This is fine for an office job day to day. The team is friendly and colleagues generally help each other. The manager is approachable. However the pay is low, the sickness policy is offensive and there is no career progression.

Enjoyed the environment and loved the fact when I went to work I was supported by management. When I went home at the end of the day I could switch off. Overall very good experience working for the AA

Pros

Monday to Friday 9-5

Stressful and micro managed

Was a job for life not anymore stressful unachievable targets unless you are creative type of work is out of your control you will be working in all types of weather at anytime of the day Xmas day has to be taken as a leave day on the new contract micro managed targets to achieve

Pros

Van provided and tools

Cons

Long hours compulsory overtime leave is hard to get what you want not good for family life

Terrible place to work

There is no chance of career progression, unless your face ‘fits’. Managers don’t care about you as a person, unless you’re a managers ‘favourite’ then you can get away with anything and everything. There’s a very high turnover of staff, which means it’s constantly busy and you are spending most of your day trying to help customers who have been messed around by colleagues who don’t know what they are doing. Just a terrible place to work, please avoid for your own well-being.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Terrible management, favouritism, high turnover of staff

Great place to work.

I had wanted to get into the AA for some time as its such a well known company and instantly recognisable, I have a background in the automotive trade having been a mechanic for about 10 years after leaving school. I currently drive a 15t recovery truck and I have to say the job is by far the easiest driving job I've ever had. The AA have a rigorous interview process and make sure everything is above board before you get the call to say you are in. The thoroughness doesn't stop there either, they are on top of their game. No two days are the same and I thoroughly enjoy the variety. Obviously the training is second to none as you would expect and everyone is super friendly and willing to help anyway they can. Anyone thinking of joining the AA should do it. You won't regret it at all

Pros

Discounted membership and benfits, good pay, good worklife balance

Cons

None so far.

Stressful, no work life balance

Worked here for just shy of 3 years. Constantly promised all sorts “climbing the ladder”. Absolutely no room for progress. If your face doesn’t fit they’re not interested. They have favourites in the office and they make it very obvious who their favourites are. No worklife balance AT ALL ridiculous hours long shifts. Managers don’t care about their staff at all and some of the men in office are utter creeps and managers do nothing about it. Pay is rubbish and they do anything to not pay you your bonus. Qa on calls is so unfair and they expect you to sit and be shouted /screamed at by customers all day everyday. Zero control in the office allowing for queues of over 100 customers. Not a nice place to work at all. Managers pretend like they care but they just wanna know your business. So harsh on their staff and just overall such a money greedy business.

Pros

Cons

The whole job

Ok place to work just hard to develop

It’s a very good company to work for they look after staff but there is a lot of kpis and targets and things you need to follow and it’s quite worrying if you don’t hit them all

Cons

PATROL=AVOID, Figures driven job which are unrealistic and out dated

I felt so proud when I first tried on the patrol uniform, finally I had the job I worked so hard to get, First year was great as it had the old management structure were you could speak to an actual adult with something between their ears. Great pension and the work life balance was fair. Now though its an absolute joke, PL's (performance leaders) haha sorry but they are a joke, most of them cant tie the patrols forces shoe laces, yes men so to speak- or the men among us will know them as RATS! nice to your face but stabbing you in the back- you all know the type. I left as I was missing my young family, I worked 11.5 hours a day 5 on 4 off but more like 8 on 1 off, they consistently move the goal posts and you spend more time in the van then at home. Don't be fooled by the money, 45/50k year is possible but I was spending 260 hours a month in a yellow van- moneys not that good for what we do, its a very dangerous job. Please think very hard if you are going to do this job, I was lucky and only stayed 5 years and managed to slot back into my previous position.

Pros

Helping the members. other patrols and thats it

Cons

to much to list

Fun Place To Work

The AA is a fantastic place to work. They have a very good wage and you are able to earn commission on top of that. The managers are friendly and they always do fun things in the work place.

Pros

Good wage, friendly managers, good food in the canteen

Cons

Stressful sometimes, parking is terrible!

Not for people with a good social life or a family

Management don't really have a clue about the role or how to manage the staff properly all you get is nice to your face and stab you in the back and they always judge you on your figures which btw are ridiculous. Figures can be blagged by "button pushing" which they basically make us do to hit targets and then they kick off about it . No ongoing training or support in 10 years I've had 4 weeks training my 2 week induction, a week to get my b+e and a week "Refresh" which was an absolute waste of time.nothing to help you climb the ladder of the company even though I have expressed interest for about 5 years. They have recently started putting out e-learning courses but not for help in the job role they seem to be for ticking a box to show auditors. They have a strong selling attitude for parts and making members even though we are not licensed for membership sales. You are constantly pressured to sell even though the parts are very over priced. The money is below average for what we do to be honest but if you want to make extra money overtime is available however I would advise you try to work out a work life balance for yourself before doing overtime because the hours are long enough with out it.in my time here I've seen Many marriages brake down because of this job and the hours worked. You do not get much of a social life on work days as shifts are quite often long . I personally would advise against this job if you have a family or a social life lol. Once your in the trap it's hard to escape. The we fix 8/10 jobs on the roadside is a joke it should be we can recover 8/10 -

Pros

I'm at the point now we're I don't believe there is any

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, no work life balance

Poor pay long hours

Long hours with the contractual overtime you have to work. No work / life balance.Would not recommend if you have a family or social life.

Pros

Left alone, no bother from management

Cons

Long hours, poor rate of pay

No support for new starters, unapproachable team managers

Everyone is nice in training until you start the actual job! Mangers are moody, they do not support you. DONT GET SICK! If ever you become ill, managers start to look down on you as if your supposed to be a robot. They remind you about probation and tell you to try not to be sick!The workplace on a whole is too strict.working here is DRAINING, NO SOCIAL LIFE! They have no patience with new starters and you get thrown into the deep end from the start!

Pros

good pay

Cons

long depressing hours no life, bad management

Your just a number

High expectations with no control over the jobs given, long hours, various shift options but only after 12 months can you choose, pay is very competitive but you need to be able to let the politics go over your head.

Pros

Free breakdown cover after 12 months, use of company tools

Cons

Long hours, obligatory 40 minute O/T after every shift short of 10.25 hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The AA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement