The Abbeyfield Society

The Abbeyfield Society Employee Reviews

Lovely residents

Agest found that the young staff were more likely to advance up the careers ladder than their older colleagues. Regardless of experience, knowledge and qualifications.

Pros

Set hours

Cons

No meals provided

7 July 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave Abbeyfield a review, we appreciate your feedback. If you would like to raise any of your comments as a formal complaint via our Complaints Policy, please email complaints@abbeyfield.com.

Lovely workplace

Love working for Abbeyfield. I have enjoyed all the training as this makes me more confident in my position. The management team are lovely and always there to help in any way.

Pros

Good rate of pay, plenty of support, friendly staff and residents

14 June 2021
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave Abbeyfield a review. We're thrilled to read your positive comments and thank you for your commitment to your role as General Assistant.

Unsupportive management

Getting a job at Brownsfield House was the worse decision i made in the my 30 years of caring. The home is backdated both structurally and in care they offer. The manager there is poor with her man management skills which means a high turnover of staff & continuous use of agency. I wouldn’t recommend working for this company if you want to be a valued member of staff & wish to continue your career in this field.

Pros

Sweet residents

Cons

Poor unsupported management

14 June 2021

Poorly managed.

Not a pleasant place to work. Inexperienced management. No support and negative work attitude by staff. Management unwilling to work the floor when needed and generally rude

Pros

Fair pay

1 June 2021

Horrible place to work.

Very poor management, absolutely no compassion or thanks to any employee.Massive favouritism (If you work yourself into the ground you are liked).Management doesn't know the meaning of the word 'confidential'. They are rude and snappy towards their employees and residents. Employees spoken about badly in the office.Multiple carers very poor with their attitudes towards residents. Arguments amongst carers solved with favouritism. Stress levels through the roof for most employees. No support.Highest staff turnover in the last few months than has been seen for years.

Pros

Lovely residents, good pay, most colleagues lovely, amazing meals

Cons

Terrible management, no thanks or support

4 May 2021

Caring people in a challenging world

Prior to WFH, it was a a good feeling going to work in St Albans, working with staff who I consider family till this day. I learned to be adaptable, understanding, and improve my communication skills. You learn to problem solve as well as listen to your colleagues and find true solutions to pressing problems rather than headline grabbing solutions. People are friendly and welcoming, willing to provide support when improvements are discussed. The amount of after hour support provided by colleagues to support residents and colleagues cannot be quantified.The hardest part of my previous role was ensuring you could implement new processes that would add value to the organisation.For me meeting my colleagues and visiting Care Homes and Sheltered Houses was a true honor.

Pros

People

Cons

Too small

22 March 2021
We really appreciate you taking the time to express how much you enjoyed working for us. Thank you for your kind comments, and we wish you well in your future career.

Avoid

If I could give 0 stars I would, avoid this company at all costs! Management are compulsive liars and lazy! Wouldn’t recommend to anyone. No support given, no right training given, long hours.

Pros

Cons

Everything!

22 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave Abbeyfield a review, we appreciate your feedback. If you would like to raise this as a formal complaint via our Complaints Policy, please email complaints@abbeyfield.com.

Well run , water tight routine.

Lovely clean well maintained work environment. Regular training and updates. The Manager is real nice , but you don't see much of her which is a shame .

Pros

Good pay, nice clean building, Set shifts

Cons

Lots of staff related and been there ages, so hard to fit in and be part of a team. Lots of staff arguements and lots of favouritism.

Amazing place

Worked over 20 years for Abbeyfield, it’s amazing felt part of the team, Management supported their staff though highs and lows, There is no other home like ours. Yes all down to staff and management that made it such a happy place for both staff and residents

Pros

long service holiday

14 January 2021
Thank you for leaving us such a fantastic review and thank you for your 20 years of service to Abbeyfield.

Lovely Home- North Weald

Lovely friendly home, great team work. Good atmosphere. Good shift pattern. Good communication.Feel valued. Lovely management. Good morale. Family feel.

1 February 2021
Thank you for your 5 star review. It's wonderful to read the list of things you enjoy most about working at Abbeyfield.

Jobs at The Abbeyfield Society

See more jobs

Great place to work!

The Abbeyfield Society is a fun, friendly and encouraging organisation with lots of potential to develop. In my experience, management have been supportive, encouraging and great leaders.

Pros

Good annual leave, free coffee from a machine, fun and friendly colleagues

1 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear how much you're enjoying your role at Abbeyfield - it's great to have you onboard.

Brilliant care home to work for

Great staff with lots of laughter to keep a smile on residents face, excellent team work . Communication is key and kept at top level. Great place to work .

Pros

Pension, flexible hours, great team

1 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review Abbeyfield. We agree, seeing the residents smile is one of the best parts of the job.

Can’t do right

Can be a fast day and always something happening days spent doing medication calls to families and doctors . Staff have been there long time and can’t accept change but like most care homes under staffed

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Changes every week

Terrible place to work

Workload is horrendous. You have to do hours of unpaid overtime to keep on top of things. Pay is terrible for the amount of work you have to do. Management is unsupportive.

Pros

Making the residents happy.

Cons

Dreadful management, long hours ( upaid overtime), terrible pay.

Awful place to work for

If you want to get paid for the work you do and want to pay your bills, don't work here. They don't like to pay you management team are a massive joke! People owed money left right and centre.Good hourly rate but you definitely work for it!

Pros

There aren't any

Cons

Don't pay you

Awful place to work

North weald was a awful place to work they all gang up on you, fighting staff members nasty to residents say no more. Please be careful when joining Abbeyfield but avoid at all costs

Pros

Cons

Awful atmosphere

8 February 2021

Caring, positive, supportive and ethical

The people make the work wonderful. Everyone in all the teams are supportive of their clients and also each other. Standards are excellent and staff really care about their clients, their work and the well-being of clients and staff alike. Management is first class. An excellent place to work.

Pros

Caring, friendly, lovely, ethical staff team.

Cons

Pay is not great, but that is the care sector in general

1 February 2021
Thank you for leaving us a review. We're glad to read of the support you were given whilst working at Abbeyfield. We will pass on your comments to the relevant teams.

Really appreciative company to work for.

The residents are treated extremely well and are the number one priority. The home i work in is so clean and very well run. My manager is amazing and the staff are professional and easy to get along with.

Pros

A good company to work for.

1 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Abbeyfield. It's great to read how much you enjoy your role and working with the rest of the team.

Great retirement homes

I loved working at my retirement home, the residents where great. My manger was fantastic. Would happily work with in abbeyfield again. My home was one of the many that closed that's why I'm not with them anymore.

Pros

You get to work with great people

Cons

None in less they close the house.

8 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review Abbeyfield. We appreciate your comments and feedback.

Avoid

A fantastic charity But power crazy administrator in Gloucestershire who as no regard for residents Feelings or wishes. Completely blanks them when she does turn up at a house. Staff are shrieked at and treated with complete disrespect. The committee are a trembling mess

Pros

Lovely residents

Cons

Mrs Browning

Nice place to work

Abbeyfield is a nice place to work especially when you have a duty of care looking after the older generation , talking to them and giving them guidance if required, enjoying afternoon activities was the highlight of the job as all the residents came together and enjoyed each other's company meals are cooked fresh every day and dietary needs taken care of ,overall very nice job

Pros

Excellent place to work

1 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We also thank you for the time you spent with us at Abbeyfield caring for our residents.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Abbeyfield Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement
  • The Abbeyfield Society
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?