The Body Shop

The Body Shop Employee Reviews

United Kingdom573 reviews

Found 573 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,114 reviews

Interesting and fun

Better than average retail jobsGood perksGood company moraleCompany product knowledge is interestingYou are expected there before your start timeTargets

Pros

Discount

Cons

Low contracts

Don't bother

Poor managementPetty managersTake short cuts and don't really care about the people they employ. Not a good place to work at all. They have all these "buzz" phrases they advertise yet they don't seem to apply to their employees.

Insights into The Body Shop

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

basic pay not worth the stress

good first job for those who need experience or are studying. cant support a family working as a customer adviser there. They wouldn't even pay me the correct maternity pay as I has reduced my contracted hours from 16 to 8 a few months before going on maternity(to allow rest days as I had a really bad pregnancy) even though I still did plenty of overtime. my manager neglected to inform me that reducing my hours would me that I would no longer qualified for the full mat pay. If I knew that beforehand I would have tried to wait it out. Instead due to the stress and pain, I ended up taking mat leave at the earliest date and handed in my notice before I was due to return. Good riddance.

Pros

free products, not very often. 10% off items

Cons

poor management and long hours standing

Depending on size of store

They do care about their employees but often set unrealistic stuff and depends on your area manager. I had one which was proactive, sales focused and supportive but can be unrealistic. Had one that was more laid back, understanding and supportive, and then one which would set tasks but not follow up, unsupportive and had favourites. Head office doesn’t understand what it’s like working in a store. If your running a busier store it’s hard to get tasks done sometimes due to little payroll hours and footfall. If your running a smaller store you can get stuff done but lone working a lot of the time and have to plan to be able to do stuff on the shopfloor.Bonus is awful. Store manager gets same bonus as team leaders, no additional ones. Pay for team leaders and consultants is good but managers os appalling. Sometimes a £1 difference between team leader. Tasks are simple and they are a nice company to work for, but Does depend on your area manager and the store.

Amazing place to work

Brilliant job Fantastic company to work for Brilliant management team Fast paced but enjoyable Lovely workforce Brilliant discount on store products Fantastic training that is ongoing Fantastic support from company Best job I have had in retail

Review

Easy to manage from home around other life commitments. All based online on social media sites. Commission is based on much sales you get. Can achieve free products. Customers can also be offered customer special deals

Pros

All online and free products

Cons

Na

One to avoid

I really loved my job to start with, but there was an incident of gross misconduct which made me really uncomfortable working there. I would not work here again.

Fun place to work, lovely staff however very pushy with sales.

Lovely place to work if you love the products however it’s very sales driven and pushy about points cards and up selling.Most of their packaging is 100% recyclable however when I was there most products/gifts came in plastic when delivered.

Pros

Great hourly rate and discounts

Cons

Lone trading for hours at a time

Productive and supportive workplace

The support and morale at The Body Shop is unlimited. By far and away the most enjoyable and educational employment I have ever experienced, with customer and employee satisfaction at its heart.

Pros

Supportive management, friendly colleagues

Strong team and great staff discount

Overall I would recommend working at The Body Shop, the job comes with lots of benefits like a generous staff discount and free product samples. The pay was good, especially compared to other similar companies. Being a customer consultant involved your standard beauty retail fare, greeting customers, recommending products etc. You are encouraged to up-sell but they don’t want you to aggressively sell as much as possible like other companies. You are expected to approach customers and offer product demos, which I occasionally found a bit awkward but if you’re a confident or outgoing person it would be easier for you.As a team lead, which is just a supervisor, you are responsible for opening/closing, counting tills, banking etc. You’re also responsible for processing returns and doing basic admin tasks like writing the day’s sales targets. As the name implies you’ll also look after your team and make sure everyone knows what they’re doing.As with any retail environment you will get nasty customers and very hectic busy periods, especially around Mother’s Day, Christmas etc. Trying to meet sales targets was sometimes stressful, especially in relation to loyalty card sign ups.The Belfast team were great to work with, especially the store manager. Management can make or break a work environment but my manager was fantastic and the whole team worked well together.

Pros

Generous staff discount & supportive team

Cons

The general public

Fun but could be slow

Fairly relaxed place to work. Very busy at the weekend but weekdays was mostiy stood around not doing much. The customers were lovely and made the job. Some staff were bossy and used to have their eye on you.

Toxic Management and Not Accessible

For a minimum wage job there is huge pressure to hit targets. There is absolutely no understanding of accessibility issues/disability with zero flexibility for disabled employees. Lunch cannot be taken off site if in a supervisor role.Zero training given before supervisors are given keys, access to safes etc.

Pros

Discount products

Cons

No training, no lunch break

Productive.

Excellent. Loved it. They gave use free food to eat. Also, we were able to talk to new people and the pay is absolutely fantastic. Pay weekly and sometimes get bonuses.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Nothing to be honest.

Good little job

Management was friendly and I felt very comfortable in the job. Only downside was stock room but it might just be me found it very hard and stressful at times with so many different products to learn.

Productive place, very fast paced ,

Good for experience . Can be draining and physically exhausting because of continuous bay moves.Customers tend to ask for discounts. team work

Pros

Free products

Cons

Management can be patronising

Relaxed friendly work place

Working at the body shop was generally fun a range of responsibilities kept me busy so the day always went pretty fast. The team was lovely. Breaks were generous and we got lots of products for free as well as 50% discount. Only issue was the targets, the pressure to hit high sales and convert customers to loyalty cards was a bit intense at times.

Pros

Extensive training. Good breaks. Good pay. Free products

Cons

Targets high pressure.

Beauty Consultant

Nice place to work, a lot of importance placed on getting customer details for marketing’s and points system. A lot of free goodies and great discount.

Favourite job so far!

Great company with good ethos. The training was great and felt supported by the management. Loved my work colleagues and I was happy to go to work every day. Would definitely recommend working for this company.

Pros

Training

Boring and slow

Very boring shifts, lots of standing around on the shop floor doing nothing (suppose this depends on the store you work at). You have to get on with your colleagues to have a fun shift as you’re there sometimes just two of you all day. Management have disregard for covid rules and would sometimes ask to work in stores that had covid outbreak or expect you to work with someone who has covid. Management expect you to reach unobtainable targets such as loyalty cards and 10percent of sales from the refills. Don’t expect to get many hours

Wouldn’t advise!

Poor to non existent training, high turnover of senior management, poor communication, poor pay and unrealistic targets. Enormous workload, more and more responsibilities and pressure. All contributing factors to why I left the company, good luck if newly joining you’re going to need it!

Very boring and days always dragged

Everyone who works there apart from a small amount looks at you weird all the time and is constantly judging people behind their backs, they are all petty and the magegment are terrible they have no respect for your day to day life. They also make you wait to know if your working earlier in the day so you cannot make any plans as you have to sit around waiting for a message to see if you in that sometimes doesn't come untill 3 - 4pmIf you like the sound of that then yes I suggest you apply for the body shop your love it!!!!!!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Body Shop. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare The Body Shop with

Learn about The Body Shop in popular locations

• The Body Shop
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?