The British Army

The British Army Employee Reviews

Found 2,966 reviews matching the search
You couldn't do any better than joining the Army, it is an experience I shall never forget.I loved every moment and would do it all again if I could.It will set you for life and it is great to be part of somthing so rewarding.
Pros
The whole job!
Cons
Only if you look for them.
Can be very frustratingLots of opportunities generallyVery busy if you show abilityLots of able soldiers leave after a few years of frustration with middle management (sergeants) or having their time wasted by 24 year old officers with little experience. Great if you are interested in sports as the Army will sponsor you / send you on special training. Great if you can get on expeditions etc. Can be asked to work 22 hours a day. My main role was understaffed so I felt mucked about and over worked far too often.
Pros
Builds confidence
Cons
Works you to your limit.
Not really much i can say really but i have enjoyed my time working for the army and enjoyed the places i have been and seen also i have been looked after well.
Pros
Stuff you can receive
Cons
Never knowing whats going on day to day
The best job I've had as ive always wanted to be in the army since I was 4 years old and met lots of life long friends, it was a big family that we all helped each other the army made me who i am today more confident in myself, I chose to come out of the army as I was beginning my family life and the army was very supportive in my decision.
Pros
Always learning and advising in my skill set being a soldier
Cons
I have no cons
On joining you immediately become part of a family. The training is intense and thoroughly hard work but worth every minute. The job security is second to none and when you have chosen your trade within the Army you will be set for life.
Pros
Travel. Friendship. Security.
Cons
It good place to start your career if you are not sure what you want to do.You meet a lot of amazing people with so many different backgrounds and cultures, and you get the opportunity to travel around the world on many operational tours.
Pros
Job security as we all saw during the COVID.
Cons
Long deployment from family.
Great experience, travelled the world, have hundreds of friends through my time. I would recommend it to anyone willing to give their all to it. Bear in mind not everyone is designed to cope with the training. Whilst in training THAT is not the army, that's training to join the army, life is better once you are fully trained, you are treated differently and then the real experience starts. You'll find you will be able to turn your hand to any job from there on in. You will certainly reap the rewards of pay, bonuses and a pension (the best pension out there) the army's welfare program is also second to none, whether you are a single soldier or a family man you will be looked after without hesitation or Bias.
Pros
Pay is great
Cons
Long hours at times.
It will stay with you forever once you have served.Brilliant courses which will set you up for later life and you will gain friends for life, plus you gain confidence in your own abilities.
Pros
Work colleges
Cons
If you don’t mind being away from home 5 in 7 nights a week. Not doing much day to day other than PT. I say go for it.By far the easiest money I’ve earned and the most secure job I’ve ever had. Don’t do drugs otherwise you’ll be out in no time!
Pros
Good money
Cons
Away from home
Done 16yrs before being medical discharged love every minute and I have a pension for life. Travelled all over and trained all over the world from Europe to America. Made mates for life and lost friends along the way.
Pros
Career opportunities
Cons
Away from home alot
A great chance to grow up!! learn skills that are not transferable into ”civilian” life, it’s nearly impossible to get fired and it’s shares the same repetition of daily work to that of a pie factory (make case, fill pie, close pie and cook pie). And if that hasn’t got your palms sweating then catch this, I have never seen an organisation create so much unnecessary work for its self, that’s not even the best part once the work has been created they will then have the work carried out by an inadequate number of personnel. Once the task in hand has not been complete stand by for punishment,, once you’ve had your ears chewed off and an extra work load imposed as penance you’ll then be told to work late until the task is complete sometime working late intoThe night, and what for might you ask?? To cover up the fact your department is struggling due to undermanning and cement in place your line managers new promotion, the same one he crapshoot all over you for just two days ago. In a whole the army is a huge facade, advertisements and promotions show it as the answer to the prayers of people lacking direction or self confidence, when it’s just going to make it worse. The British army needs huge reform internally if its to match this ever changing world as it has remained unchanged since early 2000. Defence budgets could be better spent in other areas and the army should be dragged down to a defence force only to defend the United Kingdom against attack, as Brexit and the current world situation have already shown us were on our own and should stand behind no country other then - more...
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Management, finding a point in daily tasks
The hardest part of the job is not giving it your all.I learnt alot about moral, intergrity, selflessness etc.Management is great they provide with all the support and guidence you need.The most enjoyable part of the job is going sight seeing, on tours, football matches,Rugby and much more.A typical day at work is starting earling and finishing early.
Pros
Everything is a pro
Cons
N/a
You soon learn that it’s those soldiers around you that matter, not the leadership It is a shame that the army is poor funded and badly looked after. More generals than regiments Fewer troops than are needed Sent badly equipped to war
Pros
Sport, fellow soldiers, travel.
Cons
Pay, senior officers bucking for promotion and not caring for there troops
I really enjoyed my time in the army and it helped me to become the hard working person I am today. Regardless of where or what you want to achieve in live the army will provide the best training possible.
Loved every minute of my time in the army, completed 23 years. Can be stressful but the good times definitely outweigh the hard times. Got to travel the world, adventure training every year, sports and physical training daily. Highly recommended.
Pros
Wages, bonus, operational tours, fitness and sports, adventure training.
Cons
Long hours, time away from the family.
Just left after 7 years and miss the lads more than the job. Good job if you're switched on and willing to graft. Some of the head shed are absolutely numb in the head but, its their job.
Every Friday we started work at 6am by going for breakfast, then after going for a PT session ( COs PT ) it’s normally fun activity but is hard and enjoyable at the same time after that we would finish around 11am - 12pm for the weekend and go home to our families.
Pros
Excellent life skills, friends for life, good lifestyle and fun job all round
Cons
Being away from family is the only con
Was very fast paced but learn so much there. You’re always on your toes, especially when out on exercise. Overall it’s a great experience and very challenging.
Pros
Free dental
Cons
Having to polish everything
A typical day at work can vary - whilst in camp it can be very slow paced with not much happening but while on tour or excercise it can be very fast paced and demanding. You have the opurtnity to learn all the time and gain good skills for a career outside of the Army. managemnet always helps you to learn as you promote. the hardest part of the job is being away from friends and family but in the same breath the most enjoyable is going home to see them!
Pros
there are so many oppurtunities
Cons
away from home for the majority of time
Great opportunity to explore the world and to get better prospects if you don't have any opportunities in civilian life then it's a great challenging career with the chance to move up and better yourself
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not allowing your own freedom
What is asked in return for the fanastic benefits and security isn't hugely difficult for the majority of the time and It's you who progresses career prospects. Got to earn it and set out to achieve your goals Lots to do and skills to develop with experiences and friends you'll never forget. Sometimes it's not nice being a soldier in rough condtions in adverse environments but you're not the only one there and everyone looks after each other. They're professionals who take the job seriously but know how to have a good time while doing it.
Pros
Free dental, medical, tons of leave, free and or subsidised education at FE level and above (If eligible), subsidised living for singles and families, free gym, travel all over the world for free and at times for fun.
Cons
If the current working climate and busy plans mean things need to be done, it can take a while to take leave.
  1. Employee reviews