The Christie NHS Foundation Trust

The Christie NHS Foundation Trust Reviews: Working at The Christie NHS Foundation Trust

United Kingdom41 reviews

Very patient focused. Staff relatively undervalued.

Good place to work if you can handle people who are 2 faced and up themselves. Work load fairly easy if you're used to rushing around like a headless chicken. A lot of snowflakes and not enough backbones.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Uptight and spineless staff

No advancement, very unsupportive. Lack of communication

Lack of support and communication by ward manger. Always understaffed making emotions run high between staff and affecting work relationships. Little training opportunities. Pay is a shambles.

Insights into The Christie NHS Foundation Trust

What people like
  • Energising work tasks
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

I wouldn’t recommend working there. Massive blame culture and they know how to cover up Very two faced and cliquey. Biggest regret was going to that place. Never again

Pros

Amazing 🥲 patients

Cons

Cover ups Poor staffing Massive culture Cliquey

Love working with all the inspiring patients that willingly put themselves through chemotherapy, have the upmost respect for them all.

Lots of opportunities for learning and improving skills. My line manager was great, senior management not so great. On occasion, patients/ families can be aggressive/ angry/ generally unhappy which is to be expected in any hospital. However no support provided to staff. Management seem to 'do everything' for these people, and the ones who don't complain don't seem to get the same benefits.e.g. 1 of many examples during the pandemic - no visitors allowed in, nurses fighting for a young patients 3 children to be able to come in and see them - but wasn't allowed as 'they weren't quite dying yet' - this patient had a few weeks left. However a patient that regularly kicked off (who wasn't dying) was allowed to have open visiting and was allowed to come and go as they pleased. Doesn't seem fair, like management just want an easy life. Despite the patients, felt I needed to leave for my own mental health, as lower paid staff (i.e. bands 2,3,4,5 - even 6) are just overworked and the ones who get paid loads just seem to do nothing about it, new senior senior jobs are 'invented' on a monthly basis, e.g. seems to be more deputy/ assistance/ associate senior nurses constantly, unsure of their roles and what they actually do, but wards and outpatient depts are not able to advertise more band 2/3/4/5 jobs,and when they do it's a 6 month process and by this time more staff have left, whereas new management jobs just 'appear' monthly. have witnessed staff being threatened and screamed at, and management just seem to pander to these people and ignore staff.

Pros

Lovely patients and nurses and colleagues Good opportunities

Cons

Awful workplace culture 'Zero Tolerance' policy doesn't seem to exist here, Poor staff Morale, Poor staffing - but only on the lower pay bands

Christie is a fun place to work. All staff are supportive and cooperative. They are keen on developing you as a person, your skills and your career

Always learning new thing at work. I love the practise of strong team work among staff. I enjoyed every bit of my work. The management is good with listening to staff and their problems. Professionalism is very paramount at all times.

Cons

The banking system not good enough interms of incentives so many staff not involved.

Great trust , the people are friendly to everyone, welcoming atmosphere, great place to work.

Good working hours, training is provided in the workplace. Management are friendly and there if you need them , the staff are friendly and helpful with a great working environment. The job itself is physical and active but a great sence of achievement when complete. The most enjoyable part is the everyday experience of variety no two days are the same .

Pros

Great place to work and staff are looked after

Cons

Non

Can be busy

amazing to see patients at the start of there treatment and then to see them walk out after treatment knowing you were there to support them when needed

Pros

Meeting the patients

Cons

Short staffed

Horrible culture

My experience just showed be why the nhs is on its knees. The staff are lazy as they come. They do the least amount of work they can because they they know they are getting paid at the end of it anyway. Staff also take the advantage of sickness pay too . NO consideration for patients (in regards to prescription waiting times. Any suggestions as to improve the process get shut down as the AGING work force"we've never done that. Stuck in the past

Pros

Money

Cons

Lazy staff, too many chiefs and not enough india. Needs a total rehaul of ALL proces

Relaxed workplace

I enjoy being able to manage my own workload, it has great management and is a rewarding job. I have to liaise with many different team members hence my interpersonal skills have increased and I enjoy being able to have patient contact.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

No fixed hours - unsure of finishing time

amazing place

It was a lovely place to work at. The staff were amazing and helped me a lot and made me feel welcome. I learnt so much in my time there. Real care for their patients too.

Nice place to work

Friendly environment to work in, good mix of people. Parking can be an issue but is available a short distance away. Travel into Manchester can be difficult in the mornings.

Fast paced office environment

Sometimes high pressure due to nature of diseases and patient’s circumstances. Often disorganised management and under staffing is usually an issue in most departments.

productive

Busy typical day at work. a lot of training as a student radiographer. the workplace culture is postive and good. the hardest part of the job is the hours

Nicely managed outpatients area

As a volunteer I was not committed to be responsible for all the duties, although, I felt to be part of the team in which I was working. From this experience I earned knowledge on the cancer diagnose and treatments procedures at the NHS and I improved my team-work and time management skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was to do little tasks such as brining them food, their belongings and their discharge papers to make patients feel positive for that day by talking politely and with a smile on your face. The hardest part of the job was to see patients in pain sometime and not being to help.

Caring and heart warming environment

I was able to gain an insight in healthcare as well as develop a passion to be part in improving the quality of individual's lives as part of my career.

Excellent

Excellent, friendly & homely environment. Staff are amazing, as a student nurse I feel welcomed and enthusiastic to learn. Such great interaction with patients unlike other centres. Definitely a cared for location.

The nursing team are 2nd to none and always a friendly atmosphere

Brilliant place to work. Management sometimes didn't appriciate the work we did which is frustrating. Complete job satisfaction though in regards to the difference we were making to people's lives

Pros

Meeting amazing people every day

Cons

Management not appriciating us

Feels like you make a difference

Fast moving and advanced place to work. Good atmosphere and feels like good management structure. Lots of availability of further training and career development.

Pros

location

Cons

NHS pay

veery good to work for

cleaning wards to a very high standard i.e cleaning toliets bathroom patient areas and offices working with a large team of cleaners and infection control on a 8.5 day shift

Pros

3 breaks a day

Cons

mix shifs

Busy and patient facing

Rotational job roles= never bored and always busy, but also can make it difficult to ever really get settled into position. Very repetitive work, easy to learn, must be able to be comfortable around bodily fluids, cancer related issues & must have a compassionate attitude.

Pros

helping others, lots to learn, able to keep job variable

Cons

mundane, depressing, unorganized

Wonderful community

Love working here, everyone is so friendly and easily the best NHS trust to work for. The patients are so positive and the work is never dull. Can't reccommend enough!

Pros

Friendly work environment, more like a family than a workplace.

Cons

No onsite parking unless you wait for a parking permit for 6+ months

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Christie NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement