The City of Edinburgh Council
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

The City of Edinburgh Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom178 reviews

Lagging behind culturally - but it's progress

It's years behind where it should be and it's a difficult place to drag into the future especially when job security is so high. Getting rid of the dead wood is near impossible and makes for a morale sapping environment.

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

Poor leadership

Fun, friendly environment to work in. Not too stressful either.

Friendly staff, management and good working conditions. Aspects of training available and lots of enhancement within the council and other opportunities. In general a good place to work.

Insights into The City of Edinburgh Council

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Fast paced and stressful but rewarding

I have worked with the council for 10 years. The past 4 years being in health and social care. You are treated fairly but sometimes you are over run with service users and don’t get enough time to spend with them. However it is very rewarding and the management are fair. Not a great work/life balance and you work long hours and split shifts.

Pros

A very fast paced busy job with is very rewarding

Cons

Long hours and split shifts. Also having to work Xmas day if it falls on your shift.

Good job

Not bad place to work for .Friendly atmosphere .There are few bad eggs just like everywhere else but most folks work hard and you can rely on them. Not the best management .

Pros

Good vehicles, not bad money and benefits - best pension scheme in the world

good overtime payGood pension

In general good working conditions Job could be difficult with challenging customers, will be nice if will be enough of staff levels and invest more in training

Pros

Good overtime rate

Cons

Not enough staff, not investing in training

Lone full time support worker

Have over 30 years experience in caring profession, I do mostly enjoy my work but the pay for the work we do isn't the best. I do however like to assist clients with their daily tasks

Pros

Training. Travel tickets

Cons

Low wage. Split shifts

Secure job not worth the drama

Good job but couldn't handle the bullying culture, there was such a pecking order and staff could be really cruel. If your face fits your ok, but if they don't like your face or you don't join in with the hierarchy then your heading for a nervous breakdown. My health couldn't take it. I have moved companies now and am much more happier, I was miserable there.

Pros

Secure job

Cons

Pecking order, very judgmental staff

Good career start

Sat apprenticeship with council,, really no buoyed my time there , gained vast experience fitting kitchen and bathrooms then found disabled access showers . Would recommend to anyone

Pros

Can, pension, paid holidays list goes on

Cons

Bad management

Pedantic work environment

Time seemed to stand still. What should take a day to progress could take a week or more. No sense of urgency. Cliquish work culture. Department over staffed.

Pros

City Centre Location

Cons

Lack of team spirit

Poor

Had 2 jobs within the council and both jobs were not as described in interviews. Want more from you than required, vary rarely help you with anything work related. Pointless asking anyone for help or advice from management as they have zero experience and knowledge of what to do. Training is a joke.

Pros

Get paid

Jobs at The City of Edinburgh Council

See more jobs

Good

The job is fine, i work front of house however there has never been any promotions from the staff on front of house in my 6 years. The supervisors have stayed the same or they have hired from elsewhere. I would never know if there is chance for job progression. Good student job though and great managers.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

No job progression

Temping at the council

It is a popular employer and there is competition to get jobs and to keep your job because the City of Edinburgh Council is such a well renowned employer. For permanent employees there are many add-on benefits but as a temp, you receive s minimal salary and you can expect to be blamed for everything and there is a good chance you will allow a culture of bullying around yoirself. It is not institutionalised, just human nature.

demanding

I found the work amazing, The management frustrating, unsupportive, had to ask all the time for advanced and up dating training. and for uniforms. Other collegues in general supportive but as we all felt over stretched and exhausted

Pros

Good working hrs, and holidays

Cons

Not supported, isolating work

challenging and stimulating

Every day was different with new and different challenges creating goals that needed to be worked towards and achieved. Worked with a great team who I personally employed

Good company to work for

I worked as care worker in the community for several years great job but it could be stressful dealing with up to 15 clients per day as you got to do a lot in30 minutes which is not a lot a lot but otherwise great job and lovely people you meet

Management improvement

The job was good but care organisers could use more training and self awareness of the challenges of field workers and organise the home visits better to reduce the stress of workers.

Rewarding and busy

Fast paced, stressful and challenging but the people you work with make it a great place to be. Not as valued as once was and little recognition but colleagues and flexible working options make up for it.

Relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff

I am a supply staff for nurseries, primary schools, I support children with additional support needs and I support them in their learning. I love working with the children, I feel very fulfilled in this type of work.

Pros

Don't have permanent contract

Cons

not enough hours

productive

A very busy and Productive place to work, teamwork is Essential to achieve the completion of the daily and weekly task. Management are very understanding.

Stressful as a lifeguard

Ensuring the safeguarding of all leisure centre users. Continual Interaction with public to maintain a safe and enjoyable experience for all users. Fully trained in all aspects of first aid which has had to be deployed on several occasions. In addition, fully trained on all aspects of the cash desk and computer booking systems

Relaxed

Relaxed working environment compared to the private sector. This particular role was very rewarding as the council are providing transport for vulnerable people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The City of Edinburgh Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement