The City of Edinburgh Council
View all The City of Edinburgh Council reviews

The City of Edinburgh Council

The City of Edinburgh Council Employee Review

Schools are chronically underfunded

I would not recommend working as a PSA to anyone anymore sadly, given how low the salary is and how stressful it is working within schools which are constantly struggling for resources. Edinburgh Council will only contract you for part time hours to work as a PSA which keeps your salary down at a ridiculous level while the work can leave you too exhausted to consider a second job. The contracted hours are not enough for you to properly do your job either as you end up starting not long before the children arrive and your hours end before the children have all left, leaving the classroom unsafe and understaffed (especially within SEN schools). This also doesn't leave you enough time to set up and clear up either end of the day. Contracted duties are often vague and left up to interpretation which can leave you feeling vulnerable and overworked.My experience of working within several schools has been that the buildings are generally in need of a great deal of maintenance and are often overrun with mice. Under-staffing is a common issue which leads to unsafe situations.Pay is well below inflation and leaves you feeling undervalued and taken for granted.I have found the HR department to not always be particularly helpful. Often multiple phone calls to different people are required before anything is sorted. Definitely join a union if you're considering working as a pupil support assistant.

Pros

PT hours may suit some people if you can afford to live off a low salary

Cons

Low pay and a stressful, under-staffed working environment

1.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Same roleSame location

Stressful environment in which to work

Regularly short staffed. Duties expand all the time. Poor Management Staff are so busy they sometimes do not even have time to pass the time of day. The hardest part of the job is fitting all the work in. You never feel you get finished no matter how hard you work. The nicest part of the job is that most people are very nice and we are all in the same boat.
Same roleSame location

Lovely Team but poor pay

Love the work but it actually costs me to go to work with childcare etc. The entry pay is very poor and was not made clear to me at the interview. I am now having to look elsewhere.

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Poor pay
Same location

Person centred care

Teamwork and feeling supported and listened to. Reasonable hour and break time . A good manage helps and there is support when you need some whether it’s family or in career advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The City of Edinburgh Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement