The City of London Corporation logo
The City of London Corporation

The City of London Corporation Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Good place to do an apprenticeship

Very friendly staff and management. Felt welcomed and supported throughout my time there. I was doing an apprenticeship so I found it difficult living off a low wage whilst living in London. But I guess that would be the same anywhere as apprentice wages are generally poor. The job itself was really good with plenty of support and freedom to learn and develop in areas that I was interested in. Can't really fault anything about it, they have a good structure in place for apprentices.

I did enjoy my time at City of London Corporation as i enjoyed the working hours and also enjoyed what task i needed to complete and also enjoyed gaining new skills.

worked mostly using my own initiative

Rather than city of london to advertise for more supervisory jobs internally they always advertised and took on staff externally so the was no real opportunity for applying for more senior jobs

Pros

family friendly hours

Cons

no room for progression

Fun work experience

Research analysis from a survey that was conducted prior to me joining. The research was obtained from a city-wide residents' meeting in which residents rated their borough. I then created a report showcasing what they liked and changes they would like to make

Productive and well-managed workplace. Friendly staff members.

Typical day consisted of sorting correspondences, electronically assigning representations for penalty charge notices. The workplace culture is very work-driven. Good communication and vibe. A sound level of seriousness and friendliness within the office. Staff are willing to teach others.

markets and consumer protection

A good job which has a diverse role, ranging from from duties in the office and also out of the office. Plenty of opportunity for advancement and training on a various range of subjects. Enjoy working within my team and accomplishing various targets. Performing checks on imported food, both animal origin and non animal origin, releasing consignments so importer can collect goods. Ship boarding on vessels performing routine checks. Carrying out water sampling from ships and hydrants. Performing rodent control activities and noise complaints. I have learned that to get along in a team, its about being a good all around team player, whist having fun within your team, knowing the importance of getting the job at hand done whist applying 100% accuracy. The hardest part of my job now is probably the distance to travel to work to and from home. The most enjoyable part of the job is embarking on vessels to perform a routine check and have a look around.

Pros

Car mileage

Cons

long journey to work

Ok but confusing

The City of London is a good name to have on your CV but they are not an amazing company to work for, there are a lot of confusing layers you have to go through to make one change. I wouldn't suggest anyone to do an apprenticeship at the City of London as it is completely disorganised and chaotic, also if you work outside of the central hub you are completely excluded.

Bad management

Not a good place to work!! Management don't listen or embrace new ideas.Your feedback isn't recognised unless something goes wrong!! They don't invest in people that statement couldnt be further from the truth. If you are not British don't apply.All of the senior managers are British and people of colour are never promoted.Bullying and racism are all part of the 600 year culture.

Amazing atmosphere and staff

Most kind and supportive staff I have ever worked with other than when I worked in the care industry. Very supportive with attaining new certificates and improving current ones to the next level.

Fun and productive workplace

Staff were very supportive and the atmosphere was very positive. The work/life balance was great and the salary was very rewarding. Would enjoy to work there on a full-time basis on the next occasion.

Pros

Flexible working hours

Honour to be a Member of the City of London Corporation (COL)

The COL Corporation is amongst other things the Local Government for the square mile. I am an elected Member who has in the past sat on a number of Grand Committees which Govern the Officers of the Corporation and vet their decisions on Public & Private matters within the COL and it's oversight of the local Government and other matters

Pros

An honour to be a Member of the oldest democracy in the world - 800 years, To be able to mix with some of the finest brains within the City of London

Cons

No salary, pensions or payments of any kind & it is very time consuming

Terrible

At the end of the day this is a local authority and since working there I would never work for a local authority again. Poor management structure and vision coupled with budgetary constraint.

I had worked with an amazing number of people, who were very supportive in work/life balance. No two days felt the same, and there was always something to work on.

Intersting and Worth While

My review on this form of work experience is that the places we visited were very enjoyable and interested me as the quality of work that had to be produced was of the highest standard.

Pros

Intersting places, free lunches.

Cons

Often tedious travel.

Good workplace

Great organisation to work for as it is so diverse and offers quite a few opportunities. I work for a small department and as such, work on a variety of events.

Variety of Projects

Good variety of projects and fairly laid back attitude to project delivery. Freedom to run your own projects and some realistic project deadlines. ...

Pros

Releaxed

Cons

Salary

productive and fun

had a lot of fun projects to work on alongside special and well known individuals. the workplace culture was always flowing positively along with management.

Culture very politicized

Watch your back. there are many people working just to advance their career, and couldn't care less if they break a few rules plus more. Too many people out to obtain their Knighthoods and a free lunch.

Pros

It has windowsin the offiice and working toiltes plus hot water to wash your hands

Cons

Way too much to write

good place to work

I loved my time at the city of London. good people and good life/work balance. Lots of staff benefits and a very prestigious place to work. lots of overtime in my job. makes a big difference to the pay-packet as the only con i can think of working for the city is the money is much less than out in the private sector

Dynamic

Flexible and diverse job. More than 500 stakeholders Various activities Friendly environment Public sector, interesting spend analysis Good leadership team

Excellent place of work

COL is a great place to work with lost of opportunities. Training programmes are exellent. I would recommend to anyone, They also are rolling out a Great Graduate programme for 2017.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The City of London Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement