The Co-Operative Bank

The Co-Operative Bank Employee Reviews

Great experience, wonderful people. Standard working hours , learnt a lot amongst colleagues. Would love to progress and be challenged. A good company to work for
No job security. Currently up skilling staff so that everyone can do everything, including dealing with fraud!Training from other skills has been so diluted and rushed so that they can have enough staff trained.
Pros
Good pension
Cons
Were to start
Loved my time at Britannia and The Co-operative Bank. Good benefits and working environment. Sadly, couldn't escape the latest round of redundancies - otherwise I'd be there forever.
I work at The Co-Operative Bank for four months and I absolutely hated this job with a passion. This was the Bain of my life. The first three weeks training is okay then your moved to ‘academy’ where your put on the phones but trainers listen to your calls and ‘support’ you. During any of the Co-Op Bank calls you have to read and follow process maps and are not taught how to anything it’s a case of reading and doing while the customer is on the line. Next whenever I had a customer who wanted to raise a complaint I had no support, I wasn’t taught how to deal with complaints, never mind raising them. I wasn’t taught this in academy and they would advise with how would you rectify the issue. Lastly the system is so ancient there is constantly system crashes and they do not run efficiently. I would not even recommend this job to my worst enemy.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours, No Support, Training is absolutely dreadful and System is ancient.
A fabulous place to work at the time. Superb management, great ethics. Hard work brought decent rewards. We really cared about our customers, although profits also featured; customer opinion mattered, staff were listened to.
Pros
Subsidised lunches, gym at cws
Cons
So many silly target to reach, making appointments, keep your customer feedback score up amongst all the other stupid targets. No real training left to it and told too “read the process maps” when you make an error your then clamped down on even though you’ve not been shown how to do it properly. Also certain members of staff are favoured m no really team effort. Every man for them selves springs to mond
Pros
Good holiday entitlement
Cons
Too many to name, just don’t go for a job here it’s not worth the stress
Terrible culture. No leadership from management. Project was continuously stopped and started. Over £350m was waisted by indecision and poor management.
Pros
Cons
Terrible culture
So much pressure to meet appointment targets, even in a pandemic we are still expected to. The training is awful and your thrown in the deep end and not much support. Manager and team leader have a short fuse and not very helpful when it comes to training g.
Pros
Holiday entitlement is good
Cons
Stressful job, So much pressure, Targets to meet and your sat behind and made to feel absolutely awful.
trainer for first three weeks was great and then you go on phones, you are supported for two weeks by more trainers and then on to your team the team leader could not be bothered with you. on the first week she sat and set out a training plan which was the last time i sat with her. when i went to ask for her help she said why have you walked past other team leaders , because they were busy and she was my go to team leader no one tells you how to check holiday entitlement and wage slips go to your works email which you can only access in the workplace therefore anyone could look over your shoulder and could see how much you earned. you are threatened with disciplinary action if you do not sit in the correct place depending on the time your shift starts and the system is that antiquated that it crashes on a daily basis and you are penalised for it I would not recommend it at all
say they care about the customers but they don't . they pay lip service to vulnerability but don't do anything when faced with mental health problems caused by stress at work. they just want to tick boxes.
Processes need updating governance needs updating reluctance to understand customer requirements promotion and pay revues not automatic need to improve processes and procedures in order to achieve goals
Pros
Flexible
Cons
can be long hours
Busy time at work. Very busy. Lots of work. Very busy at work. Lots of it. Lots of busy work. Busy busy work. Lots of it. Busy time at work. Lots of work.
A culture which promotes diversity and a dedication to doing what's best for the customer. Positive management creates a motivated and happy workforce.
I worked for the bank for nine years and worked my way up to branch manager before being made redundant. The bank is far from the professional, ethical image it likes to present and is hampered by archaic technology (we balanced tills on paper prior to 2013 when we progressed to excel!), low rent customer base and very poor management (sometimes at branch level, always at area level). I'd be here all day if I listed every piece of unethical behaviour I witnessed, but suffice to say, an area manager trying to force a colleague to go on the phone for a mortgage quote an hour before she told him he was being made redundant was one of the most pathetic things I've seen in my life. There was very little support from HR and managers regarding aggressive customers. It's the only place I know where a customer can reduce staff to tears and be given £100 by the head of complaints. You find that branch managers are given discretion and chastised for using it. It wasn't until I left that I realised how excessively hard the branch staff are worked. Understaffed, too little time to get everything done and pressured into cutting corners and not using dual control where needed. Most other jobs seem like a walk in the park compared to the million miles an hour at the Co-op Bank. It wasn't all bad. The pension benefits were good, and no matter how often managers threatened to performance manage people out, it never happened. The bank created such a complex performance management procedure that no-one could follow it, so the only way to get sacked is to steal. Lastly, bear in - more...
Pros
Every other job seems slow paced
Cons
Moronic customers, appalling management, full on despair
I absolutely loved working at the co-op bank it was such a welcoming and understanding company and would 100% work there again And would definitely recommend as a work place for anyone
Been sacked for researching someone and they could not find anything on me. HR is rubbish and all of there policies are to suit them. If you are sick 3 times a yeah you will be in trouble.
Pros
People that i was working with
Cons
Everything else.
Management not interested or supportive. Shift pattern is awful. HR department and payroll continually make mistakes. I worked in the skelmersdale branch
Pros
Cons
Poor.management
The company is well known for being in trouble and it is easy to see why. They advertised a role with a set salary and family friendly hours which I was delighted to accepted. It became apparent during training that the role was completely mis-advertised. The salary was £2 per hour less than what was advertised and I was asked to agree to a shift pattern which included weekend work and finishes as late as 10pm. When I asked to speak to my manager about this he could not have more dismissive if he had tried and when I asked HR to look at it (with proof of the job description) my contract was terminated. I later found out that a friend of a friend had been hired by the company to administer large scale redundancies.
Pros
free parking if you arrive early enough
Cons
See above
Interesting job but a lot of cost saving going on in the building so sad to see it go. Hope new buyer spends money on the the building and this building will be the pride of stockport again
Good perks including work from home, flexible hours, bonus scheme, generous holiday allowance. Room to progress but you do have to be prepared to sometimes take a sideways step.
Pros
High holiday allowance, yearly bonus, flexible working, working from home.
Could not care any more less about their staff, call centre targets which you cannot hit! So they're dismiss you anyway. Management always LOOK busy but hardly help and will do anything to make them self look good for higher management. Salary is not good either! No more than 16500 a year. Terrible place to work
Pros
Staff
Cons
Management and wage