The Co-Operative Bank
Happiness score is 48 out of 100

The Co-Operative Bank Employee Reviews

United Kingdom67 reviews

Mismanaged and Boring

Firstly, the work hours are horrific. You work on 6 days 1 week, then 4 days the next. Therefore, you work every other weekend. They don’t mention this when applying or even in the training! It was a shock. Secondly team leaders are not very helpful. You’re really thrown into the deep end W/o much knowledge on banking queries. You’re left making things up to customers as sometimes there are no managers around to help. And that’s a big one really, as you need a team leader to authorise certain things. Finally, your last call often goes past the end of you’re shift and you’re never reimbursed for that time.

Pros

Lovely Colleagues

Cons

Work Weekends and Middle management sucks

Call centre

Good managers and training , however there is a big turn over of staff as with many call centres. Some customers are really rude but there are also a lot of nice ones to talk too

Pros

Compressed working

Cons

Strictly monitored

Very stressful

Most people find ut very stressful for the money with strict difficult targets most very difficult to achieve month on month. Lots of selling and upwelling to achieve targets. Performance improvement foe anyone who doesn't achieve targets

Pros

Pay

Cons

Long hours Not much motivation

n/a

n/a targets have staff stressed and pressured into booking appointments. role is actually a sales role not a customer service as is originally advertised

A blip on my professional radar.

For me, it was one of the least pleasing work experiences I've had. Felt deflated day after day, constantly being monitored and some of the call marking was ludicrous. The tendency to nit-pick on anything and class it as a 'fail', ensures you are on a disciplinary very very quickly and this only compounds the stress and gives you nowhere to go. It's only one way then... the 'managers' get you in a room and terminate you. It's all very Guantanamo Bay style too. You'll be treated like dirt, disrespected in the fact that nothing you say matters, it's already decided by the 'committee'. It's just a show, but one the managers love, because of that power they feel. It is at least, the only process in the bank that works. A genuinely oppressive experience and one I regret ever making. It's amazing really, as since then, I've worked at another company, no problems whatsoever, even promoted twice - and have met former Co-op employees along the way and they all tell the same story. 'They ruined my mental health. I had to leave, or they would sack me anyway!'So I guess it wasn't just me, as the bank managers would have you believe?My experience was dreadful and in the end, glad to be out. Will never consider the Co-Op as an employer again. The culture was shocking.

Pros

Absolutely none.

Cons

You are the focal point of every enquiry, No other team takes ownership of their mess, Everything is left to the lowest paid doing this shambolic role, Oppressive Call Marking. Constantly exasperated & devoid of confidence, Constantly failing calls when in reality it wasn't your job in the first place, They can burden you with all this for just above minimum wage, You will start at the bottom of pay threshold and will stay there

So much room for improvement

My overall experience wasn't great and feel the higher ups need to look into every department! Everything is going downhill. I feel sorry for the management that have to deal with the mess the company has made for them and their teams to deal with! 80% of the time nobody knows what's going on, systems keep crashing, policies are out dated and the call waiting times and complaints are unbearable!

Pros

Break Times 1 hour lunch and 20 mins break

Cons

Understaffed and overworked

Worst job I've ever had - my mental health is still next-to-non-existent

The call centre made my mental health decline so much I legitimately debated jumping off the building twice a day. Management and customers were awful

Pros

Supportive, friendly team-colleagues

Cons

Irregular hours, Don't get paid enough for the amount of abuse you get from customers and higher-ups, Most of the people in training are horrible and unsupportive, People higher than your team leader are always making excuses for why call times are so bad, Absolutely no support for people with mental illnesses

Out dated systems- poor pay

the pay for the work load is unreasonable. The systems are truly out dated. The recruitment journey was great but once you are on your role there isnt much management can really do as the systems are terrible- there is a reason why many branches have shut down and why so many customers have left the company as well as staff. Think about it. Management are supportive but there is only so much they can do. You are added to upskilled groups without any of your own consent.

Pros

good working hours either 8-4 or 10-6

Cons

Terrible systems- poor pay

Poor culture. Top heavy with senior management, very hierarchical. Bullying managers are not dealt with it.

Very risk averse culture therefore very difficult to get anything done. Very bureaucratic.Having already worked for a regulated organisation I was surprised at how much more policy there was at the bank.

Excellent staff and colleagues

Training was excellent, plenty of opportunities to progress and good team bonding.Senior and middle managers at times could be out of touch, especially with targets. But when they made mistakes willing to own them.Positive workplace and culture where equality is primary consideration

Pros

Good environment

Cons

Marketing

Stressful and caused a lot of anxiety

During the initial training period it was fine, and it seemed like it would be a great place to work, however after joining the team that feeling changed pretty quickly. Due to increasingly long wait times, that we were told repeatedly would improve but never did, you often had to deal with angry customers one after the other who had to wait sometimes upwards of 1 hour, and being yelled at by so many people on your shift had a really negative impact on me. I was always terrified of the next call coming through in case id be yelled at yet again, although sometimes you did have a nice customer who was perfectly understanding of the situation. Also, when you had an angry customer demanding to speak to management, management refused to come to the phone, I had several instances where an angry situation could have been defused immediately if management just came to the phone. After the call, if you where effected by it, you were often recommended to take a few minutes after to compose yourself, which didn't help me.The training was thorough for the processes and requests that customers would have, and I can't fault that, it was just lacking in how to deal with angry customers, all you where told was how to log a complaint and not how to defuse the situation.

Pros

Reasonable pay, free tea/coffee on shift, work alongside great people on your team.

Cons

Continuously dealing with a lot of angry/frustrated customers

Excellent Employer with Excellent Employee's

I worked for The Co-Operative Bank from 2002 up until 2018 and they were some of the best years of my life & I have made the most amazing life long friends during my time there that are as close to me as family! They had excellent pay rewards for commitment & hard work & they had excellent ethical policies & people policies. I took redundancy from The Bank in 2018 & fortunately it came at the right time for me but I have missed working for them so much since that day! :-( Whoever secures a role with them can class themselves as very lucky as they are fantastic employees were never anything short of nurturing & encouraging whilst I worked for them! I miss you Co-Op! 🥰

Pros

Excellent people policies, actively develop & encourage staff, excellent rates of pay if you put in the work

20 July 2021
Thank you for your 5* review. We are delighted that you consider us a great place to work and you have taken the time to highlight our colleagues, our benefits and our strategy. We're pleased that you've called out teamwork and colleague relationships in your review, as one of our values is ‘stronger together’. Thank you for your service and contribution to the bank.

Really great atmosphere loved every minute of it, shame it was to much travel for me

Really good company very supportive, full training and really good huddles group meets lots of praise and encouragement very understanding when unforseen family issues arise, unfortunately too far for me to travel or would have stayed, position was meant to be temporary but contract was extended regularly, really lovely staff including management no power trippers just excellent place to work was a pleasure for duration of my employment there.

Pros

Lots of praise, rewards, lots of support, excellent training, pleasure to work with the co op banking group

20 July 2021
Thank you for your 5* review. We are pleased you have called out our family friendly working arrangements. We are the original ethical bank, and what matters to our people matters to us.We have supported colleagues through the ongoing challenges of coronavirus with flexible working arrangements and, for those colleagues who are unable to work from home, a ‘protect and support’ programme to keep them safe. Thank you for your service and contribution to the bank.

Great atmosphere at Co-operative Bank

It's good place to work with rubbish pay. Your work should demonstrate your worth with hard work and dedication but not in this place. They never appreciated the hard work their employees did.

Pros

Great location

Cons

Rubbish pay

20 July 2021
Thank you for leaving us a review and sharing your thoughts, I am sorry to hear your concerns on salary and hours etc, we are a living wage employer and aim to always be competitive in our internal and external salaries and as you know, we have a range of policies and support in place to help our colleagues maintain a healthy work-life balance and we are doing more to promote this. . We have been through challenges in the past few years which we appreciate can be hard... We recognise we need to do all we can to support and value our colleagues.

Struggling bank in need of innovation & proper management

Started working then left very shortly afterwards due to pedantic and very overbearing micro-management. I'd been told Co-op is an ethical bank as they dont lend to arms companies and such, but in my opinion this bank have dined out for free on that redundant sentiment for too long. What I saw working here shocked and saddened me. IT systems were inherently broken and not fit for purpose, management shirked responsibilities and took evasive action whenever anyone suggested streamlining broken processes. I witnessed a lot of favouritism and nepotism in my time here. On the plus side, I found the initial induction fairly standard and most of the customer facing staff more welcoming, training & initial impressions were fairly ok. However this changed as soon as I started my day to day duties as a mortgage adviser which fell in the domain of the "training academy". This academy was one person who essentially decided whether you stay or not, and this largely depended whether they wanted you there or not rather than your ability to do the job. I immediately encountered a level of scrutiny in my work that involved every tiny piece of my conversations with customers being picked apart, over-analysed and nitpicked to the Nth degree whilst other advisers producing similar outcomes were allowed to sail through. During my training one chap resigned due to stress and another colleague confided that they were taking anti-anxiety medication because of the amount of over-zealous and pushy scrutiny that a particular staff member was placing on them. This lead me to feel extremely unwelcome -

Pros

Fairly decent pension, central location.

Cons

Poor IT, management unwilling to listen to any constructive feedback, favouritism and office politics are a very big problem.

20 July 2021
Thank you for your feedback, I will certainly take your comments back to our Senior leaders for consideration. We have made changes to improve our IT through a bank wide desktop transformation, which has provided all colleagues with a better tech platform on which to work. We appreciate there has been a lot of change recently, but our strategy remains consistent under our new CEO, Nick Slape. Nick was an internal appointment, which has helped with continuity against the existing plan. I am sorry to hear your concerns on salary and hours etc, we are a living wage employer and aim to always be competitive in our internal and external salaries and as you know, we have a range of policies and support in place to help our colleagues maintain a healthy work-life balance and we are doing more to promote this. We recognise we need to do all we can to support and value our colleagues.

Stressful low wage job with little benefit

If you work here in customer services you’ll be treated with contempt and be given little/no support. Due to serious failings by management you'll bear the brunt of any issues like systems crashing daily, not enough staff or call waits of over an hour. Besides a wage that hasn’t really increased in years you’ll get nothing more. They used to offer bonuses, prizes, rewards but now you just get access to discounted gift cards. I can get that myself online! Direction to develop the company changes every year when the management team leaves and gets replaced. Which means they spent money making people redundant and new systems that never get finished. So you end up with no staff and old systems from the 80/90s. Due to making so many people redundant they’ll give you many roles to perform and leave you to it. During the height of covid they didn’t care and provided little support. Only when staff absence increased did they try to put processes in place. If you’re after a stressful job and don’t want to stack shelves for the similar wage. Be given no support and work in a toxic environment then this is a job for you. They made people redundant late last year (2020) in customer services and they’re recruiting to fill those jobs. So you can see that the staff turnover is shocking! At least at McDonalds you get a free meal.

Pros

Sick pay when permanent

Cons

Poor management, Below Industry Pay, stressful, poor training & Support

Stressful

No job security. Currently up skilling staff so that everyone can do everything, including dealing with fraud!Training from other skills has been so diluted and rushed so that they can have enough staff trained.

Pros

Good pension

Cons

Were to start

For People With Purpose

Loved my time at Britannia and The Co-operative Bank. Good benefits and working environment. Sadly, couldn't escape the latest round of redundancies - otherwise I'd be there forever.

No Support/Constant System Issues

I work at The Co-Operative Bank for four months and I absolutely hated this job with a passion. This was the Bain of my life. The first three weeks training is okay then your moved to ‘academy’ where your put on the phones but trainers listen to your calls and ‘support’ you. During any of the Co-Op Bank calls you have to read and follow process maps and are not taught how to anything it’s a case of reading and doing while the customer is on the line. Next whenever I had a customer who wanted to raise a complaint I had no support, I wasn’t taught how to deal with complaints, never mind raising them. I wasn’t taught this in academy and they would advise with how would you rectify the issue. Lastly the system is so ancient there is constantly system crashes and they do not run efficiently. I would not even recommend this job to my worst enemy.

Pros

Cons

Long Hours, No Support, Training is absolutely dreadful and System is ancient.

Fabulous although I left in 2007

A fabulous place to work at the time. Superb management, great ethics. Hard work brought decent rewards. We really cared about our customers, although profits also featured; customer opinion mattered, staff were listened to.

Pros

Subsidised lunches, gym at cws

20 July 2021
Thank you for your 5 star review. We are pleased that you consider us a great place to work and you have taken the time to highlight our colleagues, our benefits and our strategy. Thank you for your service and contribution to the bank.

No support, stressful, mangers just see stats and targets no care for staff

So many silly target to reach, making appointments, keep your customer feedback score up amongst all the other stupid targets. No real training left to it and told too “read the process maps” when you make an error your then clamped down on even though you’ve not been shown how to do it properly. Also certain members of staff are favoured m no really team effort. Every man for them selves springs to mond

Pros

Good holiday entitlement

Cons

Too many to name, just don’t go for a job here it’s not worth the stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Co-Operative Bank. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement