The Cornish Bakery

The Cornish Bakery Employee Reviews

I currently work for the Cornish Bakery. It is a fun and exciting company with great core values and empowering culture.As a manager I was asked to be involved with the product team, empowering me to developing a new Hot Chocolate range for the company. This was a really exciting role and I enjoyed being able to have my knowledge and ideas put into place. I really enjoy working for the Cornish bakery we receive our birthday off every year and I am looking forward to my bottle of champagne for my 50th . I would recommend any one to take the plunge and apply for this exciting company who have really looked after us during covid and with a bright outlook for the future.
Pros
promotions
Cons
weekends, 20 min breaks
Well, I have never felt so unwelcome in a job like I have this one, higher management have no idea what is actually going on in their shops which is such a shame. When problems arise, the "management" that is there to help just brush you under the carpet. Honest and open, that is the most false line in this company. I personally felt unappreciated, disrespected and out right belittled. Too much hard work for what the job actually is! Far too much pressure on staff.
Pros
Good products
Cons
Poor management
I returned to work for The Cornish Bakery having previously worked for them years ago. The brand is growing despite a challenging year with the pandemic, we have grown stronger throughout this. All teams work together and put people first, living by their Core Values and making decisions using them.It is a pleasure most of the time and I enjoy my role. The hardest challenge for me is covering a large geographical spread of bakeries which I hope to reduce with the opening of new ones and expansion of the brand.
Pros
People, Great Food, Job Security.
The Cornish Bakery is an innovative and empowering company to work for. It’s ‘people first’ attitude means many colleagues are loyal and long serving, which is testament to the companies core values. There is the chance for everyone to develop and learn new skills in a fun and friendly environment. It’s for those that enjoy a fast paced environment in lovely locations with many colleague benefits.
Pros
Development opportunities and training of new skills
This is a very open and honest company. There is extensive training both on site and online. Staff are empowered to help grow the business. The company is a high quality bakery with an outstanding customer service ethos
Pros
Extensive benefits package. Great working environment.
Cons
Can be fast paced during busy periods.
Honestly the best company out there to work for . Great benefits for all colleagues and always look after each other . For me personally always looked after me and made me feel appreciated Always opportunities for progression. Having worked in alot of the stores you can feel the values in place are adhered to on a daily basis and couldn't be happier with the decision I made 7 years ago to join such a wonderful company .
Pros
50% off
It is a good and fun work place. Firm but fair. Great people and a happy atmosphere. I would recommend anybody to work at the Cornish Bakery. Lovely staff and management.
Pros
Lovely people
Cons
Not enough hours
Great fun place to work, staff are really put first and really believe in their core values. Would highly recommend working with The Cornish Bakery due to then putting staff first and expansion plan.
Pros
50% discount, team welfare
Great fun place to work, enjoyed my time with the Cornish bakery and would return each summer. All levels of management are approachable and easy to be open and host with them.
Pros
50% discount
There was always something to attend to, no time to be bored. All the team members were supportive and helpful. Had i stayed longer (left due to health issues) the management had a full training schedule to follow through with me. The ethos was the customer comes to relax and enjoy our product, so if the customer had questions or just wanted to chat it was our job to be make them feel welcome and be friendly. Good people and place to work.
Pros
Free coffee, half price food.
Cons
Long time on your feet (not a problem for most people)
You know I see people on here write awful reviews and unfair reviews mainly caused by their own doing but attribute blame elsewhere. For me it's been an absolute pleasure to work for a company through the hardest year that we have faced for a long time this company put my and all staff safety as a paramount importance to do no harm approach to covid and while alot of businesses are falling the stronger together ethos has made the Cornish bakery a common go to for alot of people trying to enjoy a little more normality thankyou very much I have enjoyed every minute
Pros
Valued empowering
Cons
Progression can be slow
Really enjoyable place to work, especially in the environment we are in at the moment, have to say what a great job the management have done with keeping the team safe and the customers safe, using screens to seperate the areas, everything constantly being sanitised, hand sanitiser, just real safe, good benefits and plenty of chances to progress in the company, also what I like about this company is that they are forward thinking and proactive.
Pros
50% Staff discount, Free drinks, team incentives, fun culture
When the advertise that it's like working in a family you think "really" but it is actually true. Lovely people to work with and for. You are always being incentivised in various ways and have regular social activities often paid for by the company.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Gets very busy in summer
Excellant recruitment process, always kept informed of the next step, a people first business, very thorough on induction and introductions. Senior management involved at every step of the process.
Pros
Owner led
The store I worked at was infested with fruit flies and very minimal hygiene standards. Food, drink and cooking equipment is stored on the floor next to the dish washing room and can be very easily contaminated.There's very little in ways of brand standards here at The Cornish Bakery. Hot beverages have no brand standards and it's pretty much guess work with noone able to make an above average drink.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
My time at Lyme Regis Cornish Bakery can be described in a lot of different ways, and that's part of what was so fun about it. There were so many aspects to this job, and I was lucky to work with a team of mostly friendly and hardworking people. Generally the vibe was either very high paced as I was working during the summer. Among the best things I learned was how to cook some new delicious dishes, perfect the art of scone baking, clean exceptionally well and stack dishes effectively, all of that does help me at home quite a bit! I enjoyed the days when there was lots to do but not so much that it was super loud and stressful, that's when the time goes by fastest and you feel the best about yourself and the work. The workplace is clean as heck, and that is owed in large part to the great work ethic of the staff. Would definitely go back and do it again.
Pros
Discount on a lot of the food, and a free coffee/drink daily. Beautiful aesthetic atmosphere, clean work environment.
Cons
The occasional rude af customer. As well as hands on gross dish stuff.
Management are lazy and will constantly take smoking breaks to get out of doing work, they’ll give you the rubbish shifts day after day bc they don’t want them themselves they leave early most days to “take time back” when they haven’t even worked over their hours
Since I started working at the Cornish Bakery last June (2019) i have settled in very well, I enjoy working with the whole team and getting involved with all aspects of the shop. I feel everything is handled fairly and our managers keep everything running fluently which keeps us a cohesive and effective team.
Pros
Half price for staff and generous staff benefits for birthdays, long service, marriage etc.
Cons
No free food at end of day.
Worked here last year. Super busy and fast paced job, lots of customers but once you get used to the basics it’s a very easy job. Only stressful part is customers and trying to keep up with cleaning. There’s lots of cleaning involved and this needs to be done on time otherwise you could be behind an extra hour and half after your shift ends just cleaning. I worked full time and felt like it was OK, but was always exhausted afterwards. The store i worked at had great management, although other members of staff were often petty and sometimes it made work feel tedious. Often got free food and always free coffee, that was great
Pros
Good pay for the area, free food and nice management
Cons
Sometimes petty drama
I definitely enjoyed my time working here. Everyone in the team got on which made it an easy environment to work in, even during stressed times everyone still managed to get through. The management is really good so no problems there. I only left as I wasn't getting as many hours but you got to understand that somewhere like st Ives doesn't get busy unless you are in the holidays. Would definitely recommend to anyone though.
The main difficulty working here, is the seasonal nature of the business. In the quiet months, it can be difficult to maintain enthusiasm and momentum. And conversely during the busy months, it is difficult to maintain standards and energy. The basic salary is on the low side for the area, but the benefits package is excellent, and there is a decent bonus scheme related to financial performance.
  1. Employee reviews