The Cornish Bakery

• Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Poor atmosphere

Walking on egg shells every day with very unrealistic expectations! Changing goals posts constantly and the communication is terrible, worst job I’ve ever had

Enjoyed every moment

After applying for the job, I was offered an interview the next day, a trail shift the day after and was offered the job later the same week. I have loved working at The Cornish Bakery since my first day. It is a very fast-paced work environment, but it has plenty of enjoyable moments. The rest of the staff are a pleasure to work with and have always made me feel included and welcomed - like part of a family. Getting to grips with the till system can be a little overwhelming at first, but everyone there is happy to help and answer any questions. I've enjoyed every moment!

Hard work, long hours little reward (pay)

Loved working for this company and watching it grow. As with any business in the tourist sector, the work life balance suffered despite what they claim, but they were happy to accommodate personal circumstances to a point.Its a great job if you don't have children. Progression slows when you get to certain levels. Overall loved my years here naturally there was ups and downs, its a shame they can't reward loyal people with the higher salary they deserve and they have worked for, rather then offering the higher salary to the replacement, which I thought was very insulting. As for overtime expect to work unpaid. Wishing them all the best for the future.

Pros

Great culture led by a passionate owner

Cons

Long unsocial hours, always short staffed, always expected to just get on with it.

Excellent support and training.

As a new employee, I have felt very supported during my short time here. Excellent training provided on site and a great warm, friendly team already in place. Management always available and good network in place to connect with peers. Great career progressions available.

Feel part of a family!

Cornish Bakery is a great place to work. Food and drink you can be proud of to serve. Training to give the skills to do a great job. Engaged teams that make you feel like part of the family from Day 1. There is no better place to work

A good ish company

Generally a good company, it does depend on who you have as a manager. Work life balance can be hard as they expect you to muck in in the high season. Training is great though.

Avoid at all costs

Your just a number to the company, your mental welfare and safety doesn’t matter to them, they just want money. High turn over of safe, because they don’t look after anyone. Poor management, untrained. Childish atmosphere, toxic, everyone talks behind peoples backs, even managers. They pay you pennies and expect the world. Never work life balance. You will be bullied, laughed at, and never be appreciated. Area managers, never available when needed, only work week days. Expect to be miserable, and have no life once you accept a job. Save yourself and avoid at all costs!!!

Bad place to work.

They don’t know what consists in a zero hour contract and liked to belittle you in to trying to work when stated unavailable then tried to punish you.

Fun workplace and fast paced!

Great place to work if you love being on your feet, working in a team and enjoy interacting with customers! Lots of incentives to work towards, bonuses, staff get togethers and great work life balance!

Productive and friendly working environment

Great management and friendly team to work along side. Would highly recommend to anyone. Always on hand help to any training or questions you may need to know.

Excellent

A fantastic place to work . Work as a team everyone gets stuck in. Well trained from back of house to front of house. Lots of company perks. Higher management care about all of there staff.

Fantastic place to work

Very friendly and supportive love working with great staff and quality products, always look forward to going to work In the morning, I'll be here till i retire

Fun workplace , great working environment , good management

I started working for Cornish bakery in September last year , my first couple of shifts were very daunting and difficult as adapting to a new working environment, but once I got the hang of the role I've enjoyed every day , every shift and every moment.

Pros

Staff discount for lunches, enjoyable working environment, helpful staff

Cons

On your feet all day

Good range of responsibilities, nice working environment, opportunities for development

After working for The Cornish Bakery for only a few months I got the opportunity to go from team member to head barista, which I’m currently in training for. Great example of how the company encourages development from an early stage, and training is very thorough with continuous support through the process. Can be very busy and fast-paced at times but my colleagues are very level-headed and make sure everyone is ok at all times. There have been a few occasions where I’ve had a rough day or not feeling 100% and my manager has been incredibly supportive. The only reason I gave 4 stars not 5 is purely because the company does not count Boxing Day as a holiday, which I personally don’t think is fair for whoever has to come in early in the morning to open up. But apart from that I do love the company and thoroughly enjoy working for them.

Pros

2 colleague drinks a day, opportunities for development, flexible & accommodating hours

Cons

Boxing Day not a holiday, can be stressful at times when it is busy

Fun workplace with lovely employees & management.

The job is challenging but approachable. Customers are kind and colleagues are helpful. Management were amazing and made me feel respected. Would recommend the branch (and company) to anyone.

Pros

Atmosphere Kind staff Discounts

Cons

Additional time spent closing down

Since working in the cornish bakery I have very much enjoyed myself and look forward to my shift everyday.

You wont regret working for this company! they really care about there staff and they really care about there customers. What else could you ask for in an employer.

Pros

Free coffee and half price food.

Love my job

Excellent place to work if you don't mind being on your feet alot, fantastic management, work colleagues and really great benefits for staff ,easy to park for work

Pros

Half price food, good bonuses

Great workplace

I have worked here for nearly 3 years and have always been empowered in my role. The company have a complete understanding of work life balance and supports their colleagues. Each day is different and challenging but always fun and everyone pulls together when needs must.

Pros

Fun, flexible, work life balance

A company that genuinely is people first.

I joined the company in June this year and have been impressed with how important their people are to them... They actually mean it when they say it!A great work life balance, with a 40hr contract as a manger, which is actually the amount of hours expected, not 50+. A supportive and understanding team at all levels with a real passion for its people and product.

Pros

Work life balance, great upper management, thorough training, a growing business with opportunities, 50% staff discount

Good place to work 👍

Started working as a summer job and felt welcome from the start and really enjoyed my time there . Would definitely recommend…

Pros

Good pay

Bakery manager

I have been with the Cornish bakery for 4 1/2 years started as assistant manager and now manager of the same store, I really enjoy my job I like seeing the development of new team members in the importance of shop standards customer service. When you see them return year on year. I’ve seen lots of changes over the 18 months for the good, it’s growing and evolving all the time and I am really impressed with how they have been rolled out in a short period of time I have developed my skills, knowledge massively and my overall business acumen over the past 2 years. The structure, training , supportive team and support from your area manager, opportunities are arising all the time. I’m looking forward to seeing how the business navigates through the next waves of changes recently received a pay rise that was above average, which has made it worth while, catering isn’t for the faint hearted as we know but I can’t see me doing anything else, if you enjoy being busy and have need to learn and develop your knowledge and skills then this is the place for you.

Pros

Don’t have to work birthday, 50% off all food, good balance work, no late late nights.

Cons

Busy summers, long days on occasion when it required

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cornish Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement