The Cornish Bakery

United Kingdom160 reviews

Clear
3.7Job security & advancement

bakeryprogressioncoffeebirthdaylovelydiscountincentivecore

Good company to work for

Good company. They really think about their staff and reward when hard work is achieved.50% off of food if your staff. Great potential for promotion if you want it.Pay higher than most Hospitality.

Excellent company

Great company to work for, always thinking about the employees and looking at ways to advance your career with them. Take time to coach and provide great training. Lovely atmosphere

Insights into The Cornish Bakery

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks

Fantastic company with excellent growth opportunities

Having been with this company for 10 years I have had a long-varied path starting out as an assistant manager I have not only progressed upwards though manager role and into Head office roles I have expanded my overall knowledge and skills through the learning and support culture that Cornish Bakery has in place. Over the years I have been received various perks as part of the Cornish Bakery’s Benefit programs from a bottle of champagne for special birthdays through to substantial performance-based bonus’s and have had the pleasure of working all over the UK again owing to the support given. I now support teams and managers at all levels in the business looking for excellence which starts with the best teams in store

Collaborative, engaging and rewarding

I can honestly say I love working for the company otherwise I wouldn’t have stayed for 5 years. It’s innovative, following an amazing growth programme and really focusing on its development of people. It’s still hospitality and there are many challenges but the work life balance compared to many in the hospitality sector is a bonus and not to be dismissed. It’s an exciting time to join as we are developing our people, our culture and our portfolio.

Pros

Feedback is actioned, people first company

Cons

Too many changes in quick succession.

A great place to work

I joined 2 months ago and am so glad I did! The company has a great vision and plans for the future. Everyone knows your name and it feels like a family environment

Pros and cons (mostly cons)

I was paid poorly for doing the job of at least 2 people. They had me washing dishes whilst also baking, as well as being expected to serve at the front at any time. Too many times I was questioned as to why the baking hadn't been done (because I was serving customers). On top of this I felt like I was walking on eggshells with my manager due to the stress of the job. Felt like a revolving door job with many staff coming and going very quickly, I quit after 5 months. Despite all this I learned a lot about customer service and felt much more confident in other jobs due to the high pressure environment I was thrust into

Hard work, long hours little reward (pay)

Loved working for this company and watching it grow. As with any business in the tourist sector, the work life balance suffered despite what they claim, but they were happy to accommodate personal circumstances to a point.Its a great job if you don't have children. Progression slows when you get to certain levels. Overall loved my years here naturally there was ups and downs, its a shame they can't reward loyal people with the higher salary they deserve and they have worked for, rather then offering the higher salary to the replacement, which I thought was very insulting. As for overtime expect to work unpaid. Wishing them all the best for the future.

Pros

Great culture led by a passionate owner

Cons

Long unsocial hours, always short staffed, always expected to just get on with it.

Excellent support and training.

As a new employee, I have felt very supported during my short time here. Excellent training provided on site and a great warm, friendly team already in place. Management always available and good network in place to connect with peers. Great career progressions available.

A good ish company

Generally a good company, it does depend on who you have as a manager. Work life balance can be hard as they expect you to muck in in the high season. Training is great though.

Excellent

A fantastic place to work . Work as a team everyone gets stuck in. Well trained from back of house to front of house. Lots of company perks. Higher management care about all of there staff.

Great workplace

I have worked here for nearly 3 years and have always been empowered in my role. The company have a complete understanding of work life balance and supports their colleagues. Each day is different and challenging but always fun and everyone pulls together when needs must.

Pros

Fun, flexible, work life balance

A company that genuinely is people first.

I joined the company in June this year and have been impressed with how important their people are to them... They actually mean it when they say it!A great work life balance, with a 40hr contract as a manger, which is actually the amount of hours expected, not 50+. A supportive and understanding team at all levels with a real passion for its people and product.

Pros

Work life balance, great upper management, thorough training, a growing business with opportunities, 50% staff discount

Good place to work 👍

Started working as a summer job and felt welcome from the start and really enjoyed my time there . Would definitely recommend…

Pros

Good pay

Bakery manager

I have been with the Cornish bakery for 4 1/2 years started as assistant manager and now manager of the same store, I really enjoy my job I like seeing the development of new team members in the importance of shop standards customer service. When you see them return year on year. I’ve seen lots of changes over the 18 months for the good, it’s growing and evolving all the time and I am really impressed with how they have been rolled out in a short period of time I have developed my skills, knowledge massively and my overall business acumen over the past 2 years. The structure, training , supportive team and support from your area manager, opportunities are arising all the time. I’m looking forward to seeing how the business navigates through the next waves of changes recently received a pay rise that was above average, which has made it worth while, catering isn’t for the faint hearted as we know but I can’t see me doing anything else, if you enjoy being busy and have need to learn and develop your knowledge and skills then this is the place for you.

Pros

Don’t have to work birthday, 50% off all food, good balance work, no late late nights.

Cons

Busy summers, long days on occasion when it required

A fantastic place of work

A fantastic place to work where you feel valued everyday. The training is very thorough and you are well supported throughout. Excellent work/ life balance as no late nights which is extremely rare in hospitality. The company is extremely people orientated and there are many opportunities for progression.

Pros

50% discount, good work/life balance

Endless opportunities

I’ve worked for the Cornish bakery for 3 years now and the opportunities given to the team are amazing, always trying to improve the team and give everyone an oppertunity to shine. Helpful management and even through the difficult time COVID brought, the employees were always the number one priority

Pros

Career progression, support, free hot drinks

Cons

Not really

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Fantastic company to work for, very supportive training wise from day one. Very busy day to day with the current difficulties with recruitment across hospitality but still very enjoyable and the lack of colleagues doesn't bother me! My manager has been very understanding and supportive both with my training and with some personal issues I have unexpectedly had outside of work recently. The culture is really positive and I love the 'people first' mentality; the total opposite from my previous job in retail. Lots of opportunities to learn new things and work up the career ladder. No late nights which is rare in hospitality! Love it here

Pros

Free hot drinks, no late nights, great work life balance, supportive management

Cons

Can be long hours but that's hospitality for you!

Busy but great place to work

Totnes is a busy store however team really do make the place a joy to work, senior management are great, company really work with you to progress up the career ladder.

Pros

Paid birthday off, great team, free coffee on shift and 50% off all food/drink on and off shift

Cons

Long hours, unpaid overtime

Exciting company that lives and breathes its values.

Having recently joined into Head Office I am delighted to say I’m very happy here. I was looking for somewhere to match my pace, harness my skills and support my personal growth all of which I’m experiencing so far.The senior leaders, including the owner, have all been exceptionally collaborative, supportive and truly care about their people and customers. Great to work for a company who translates empathy into practical terms and puts their money where their mouth is. Being new, I have fresh eyes on things. My initial thoughts are that senior conversations always heavily feature people conversations, and I’m just a few weeks I’ve seen significant new features implemented to support our teams on practical and cultural levels.Times are tough for hospitality, and a business really show their true colours when they’re pushed. The Cornish Bakery are leaning on values, rather than abandoning them, and using them to guide everything they do, starting with their people.

Pros

Fantastic senior leaders, ambitious company.

Unbelievably welcoming, make you feel part of the team and that you are an important team member.

From my first day at The Cornish Bakery I knew I had made the right career move. An amazing company to work for. Great training and support so you can be the best at your role. I feel that I have found a new work family in The Cornish Bakery, they have your back.Opportunity to progress within the company is encouraged and supported.

Pros

Made to feel important. Opportunities to progress is supported and encouraged.

Cons

Can be busy at times.

High Standards, Strong Values

Join the company not long ago, after losing my previous job though Covid-19. In my 30+ years of service in the Catering industry, I have never experience this sense of belonging, and Joy everyday I am at work.I know look forward to the following day and i am ready to overcome any challenges. Great empowering culture, where every employee is always looking for growth and the company celebrate its combined success. Friendly, Fair and Fun

Pros

Employee is empowered to make their own decisions, plus daytime straight shifts. Good work/life balance

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cornish Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement