The Cornish Bakery

United Kingdom160 reviews

Clear

bakeryprogressioncoffeebirthdaylovelydiscountincentivecore

Sometimes enjoyable

I worked for this company for 4 years and during that time I seen alot.During busy seasons your expected to work ridiculous hours and sometimes without a break and in the bowness shop you have to go up and down the stairs often to do the dirty dishes. There is bulk deliveries of frozen pasties that you usually end up putting away yourself as at that time in the day there is usually you and one other staff member. I think the over all ranking in this shop is ridiculous managers need to be setting example of what they expect from staff. There is barely any work life balance as they advertise it is not something they pride themselves on. They do not value staff in my opinion, I worked there for a long time and I was off for a while with no contact from anyone in the company to check in as I thought it would have been polite to do so.I seen many managers come and go also exceptional staff members that were a credit to the company but due to poor management they decided to leave. They only offer zero hour contracts to anyone below manager. I could go on but it would be pointless.Such as shame as the shop in bowness could be great as it was when I first started.

Pros

50% off

Cons

Minimum break times for long hours

Wouldn’t recommend

Best thing about this place is coffee culture. If you want great barista training and love high-end coffee - become head barista, you will love it. Unfortunately for other roles it’s not the same.

Pros

Staff discount on food, great coffee

Cons

Long hours, no overtime for managers, generally disorganised, high management turnover

Insights into The Cornish Bakery

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks

Bad management

Don’t know what they want to be, keep changing their mind, and change to benefit the big bosses & bottom line, this effect the management and team. Work more than you need to and no thanks or overtime

Pros

Day time hours that’s it

Cons

No free lunch, bonus changes, no tips, work extra for free

Unpleasant

The environment from the management is one that is built on bullying. This should not be allowed. Core Values and The Cornish Bakery are polar opposites. It is all just " Corporate " jargon. Just to sound good, to get you in the door. But, Team leaders are known to talk up and down the country. So this is why most staff leave in the end. There are plenty of jobs out there. Go where you are valued not demoralised. Beware of anywhere that talks about " core values " yet has none.

Good place to work if the team is right

Good place to work as the team in the store came together well and worked hard for each other, the difficulty is the upper management, they never trust you to progress and the pay is terrible, less than £10 an hour for most in store is not enough to live on. The upper management take large saleries and don't spread the wealth down.They think we cannot get better jobs so they can get away with poor pay but I left and now make more than double my annual pay one year later.The people in store make it bearable and are great to be with, but the upper management do not value your contribution nearly enough, they look down on you as unskilled labour they can pay a pittance to.

Pros

Good team and support from colleagues

Cons

Terrible pay, no progression, no appreciation for management

Great company to work for. Wonderful manager!!

I applied at the Cornish Bakery after working 2 years at B&M, having a management change which didn't work out. I was really impressed with the amount of training and knowledge needed to do the job. I was so glad because this makes the job way more interesting. The company has a great ethos and working in management you can see the difference you make when you make decisions on profit and loss.My Manager is so committed to the business and it is really good to see as this was what was missing at B&M. She goes out of her way, does extra hours to help her team and is a real asset to the company. She has a focus on cleanliness and standards that fits so well for what cornish bakery stands for.I have been there for 6 weeks now and although there is still a lot to learn, I feel empowered to make it a success. My team is excellent and all has the same goal!! Upper Management friendly and approachable too. Definitely the best decision to move!!Only criticism would be to give team colleagues contract hours as they deserve it!!!

Pros

Great Management, 50% off, bonus.

Cons

0 hour contracts.

Poor atmosphere

Walking on egg shells every day with very unrealistic expectations! Changing goals posts constantly and the communication is terrible, worst job I’ve ever had

Excellent support and training.

As a new employee, I have felt very supported during my short time here. Excellent training provided on site and a great warm, friendly team already in place. Management always available and good network in place to connect with peers. Great career progressions available.

Avoid at all costs

Your just a number to the company, your mental welfare and safety doesn’t matter to them, they just want money. High turn over of safe, because they don’t look after anyone. Poor management, untrained. Childish atmosphere, toxic, everyone talks behind peoples backs, even managers. They pay you pennies and expect the world. Never work life balance. You will be bullied, laughed at, and never be appreciated. Area managers, never available when needed, only work week days. Expect to be miserable, and have no life once you accept a job. Save yourself and avoid at all costs!!!

Bad place to work.

They don’t know what consists in a zero hour contract and liked to belittle you in to trying to work when stated unavailable then tried to punish you.

Productive and friendly working environment

Great management and friendly team to work along side. Would highly recommend to anyone. Always on hand help to any training or questions you may need to know.

Excellent

A fantastic place to work . Work as a team everyone gets stuck in. Well trained from back of house to front of house. Lots of company perks. Higher management care about all of there staff.

Fun workplace with lovely employees & management.

The job is challenging but approachable. Customers are kind and colleagues are helpful. Management were amazing and made me feel respected. Would recommend the branch (and company) to anyone.

Pros

Atmosphere Kind staff Discounts

Cons

Additional time spent closing down

Love my job

Excellent place to work if you don't mind being on your feet alot, fantastic management, work colleagues and really great benefits for staff ,easy to park for work

Pros

Half price food, good bonuses

A company that genuinely is people first.

I joined the company in June this year and have been impressed with how important their people are to them... They actually mean it when they say it!A great work life balance, with a 40hr contract as a manger, which is actually the amount of hours expected, not 50+. A supportive and understanding team at all levels with a real passion for its people and product.

Pros

Work life balance, great upper management, thorough training, a growing business with opportunities, 50% staff discount

Great life balance

I have worked for The Cornish Bakery now for 2 years. Seasonal work with the location has its difficulties, but I believe upper management understand and support throughout the struggle with business trend. Always help at the end of the phone and the other managers in the area are a great group of very talented managers who can not do enough for you. The whole area (1) is very engaged and a real sense of team spirit within.

Pros

40 hour contract so good balance with family life

Cons

seasonal. Very Very busy summer vs quiet winters.

Amazing staff and great company

Came back after a little while away and what a start it’s been! Just hit ground running felt more appreciated by management than I have ever done! Future looks bright and looking forward to be apart of it

Pros

50%off Free Coffee! Working away at beautiful locations

Cons

Long hours but that’s hospitality

Endless opportunities

I’ve worked for the Cornish bakery for 3 years now and the opportunities given to the team are amazing, always trying to improve the team and give everyone an oppertunity to shine. Helpful management and even through the difficult time COVID brought, the employees were always the number one priority

Pros

Career progression, support, free hot drinks

Cons

Not really

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Fantastic company to work for, very supportive training wise from day one. Very busy day to day with the current difficulties with recruitment across hospitality but still very enjoyable and the lack of colleagues doesn't bother me! My manager has been very understanding and supportive both with my training and with some personal issues I have unexpectedly had outside of work recently. The culture is really positive and I love the 'people first' mentality; the total opposite from my previous job in retail. Lots of opportunities to learn new things and work up the career ladder. No late nights which is rare in hospitality! Love it here

Pros

Free hot drinks, no late nights, great work life balance, supportive management

Cons

Can be long hours but that's hospitality for you!

Busy but great place to work

Totnes is a busy store however team really do make the place a joy to work, senior management are great, company really work with you to progress up the career ladder.

Pros

Paid birthday off, great team, free coffee on shift and 50% off all food/drink on and off shift

Cons

Long hours, unpaid overtime

Hard and stressful, but worth it

The shop is incredibly popular and the work doesnt stop right up until your shift ends but you couldn't ask for a better working culture. Most of the management are really supportive and the team members are great.

Pros

Paid days off for birthdays

Cons

Poor work to life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cornish Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement