The Cornish Bakery

United Kingdom160 reviews

Clear
3.8Pay & benefits

bakeryprogressioncoffeebirthdaylovelydiscountincentivecore

Hard work, long hours little reward (pay)

Loved working for this company and watching it grow. As with any business in the tourist sector, the work life balance suffered despite what they claim, but they were happy to accommodate personal circumstances to a point.Its a great job if you don't have children. Progression slows when you get to certain levels. Overall loved my years here naturally there was ups and downs, its a shame they can't reward loyal people with the higher salary they deserve and they have worked for, rather then offering the higher salary to the replacement, which I thought was very insulting. As for overtime expect to work unpaid. Wishing them all the best for the future.

Pros

Great culture led by a passionate owner

Cons

Long unsocial hours, always short staffed, always expected to just get on with it.

Bad management

Don’t know what they want to be, keep changing their mind, and change to benefit the big bosses & bottom line, this effect the management and team. Work more than you need to and no thanks or overtime

Pros

Day time hours that’s it

Cons

No free lunch, bonus changes, no tips, work extra for free

Insights into The Cornish Bakery

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks

Good place to work if the team is right

Good place to work as the team in the store came together well and worked hard for each other, the difficulty is the upper management, they never trust you to progress and the pay is terrible, less than £10 an hour for most in store is not enough to live on. The upper management take large saleries and don't spread the wealth down.They think we cannot get better jobs so they can get away with poor pay but I left and now make more than double my annual pay one year later.The people in store make it bearable and are great to be with, but the upper management do not value your contribution nearly enough, they look down on you as unskilled labour they can pay a pittance to.

Pros

Good team and support from colleagues

Cons

Terrible pay, no progression, no appreciation for management

Stressful and low pay

i worked for the company for almost a year and my pay did not change, as someone who is under 18 the pay is just not acceptable despite me putting in a lot of effort, working overtime when needed, covering shifts on my days off. the company themselves are great but the pay and the work life balance have a detrimental effect on staff

Since working in the cornish bakery I have very much enjoyed myself and look forward to my shift everyday.

You wont regret working for this company! they really care about there staff and they really care about there customers. What else could you ask for in an employer.

Pros

Free coffee and half price food.

Love my job

Excellent place to work if you don't mind being on your feet alot, fantastic management, work colleagues and really great benefits for staff ,easy to park for work

Pros

Half price food, good bonuses

A lovely place to work

Absolutely LOVE working for this company, very fair to work for. Started as a team member and within two years worked up to Manager. All the staff & Atea managers are fab and friendly. Good rates of pay and holiday entitlement

Pros

Flexibility

Hard work but rewarding and supportive

A fast paced food retailer, but with an emphasis on quality, local produce, and high end speciality foods. As the business operates in mainly seasonal locations, the working day can vary between a team of 15 working flat out 8 hours shifts, to a team of 5/6having to stay motivated and engaged during the quiet times. As the business has grown, more effort and energy has been placed into staff welfare, and this is becoming the new driving force of the company.

Pros

benefits package is very, very good for hospitality

Cons

seasonal trade can be intense

Busy but great place to work

Totnes is a busy store however team really do make the place a joy to work, senior management are great, company really work with you to progress up the career ladder.

Pros

Paid birthday off, great team, free coffee on shift and 50% off all food/drink on and off shift

Cons

Long hours, unpaid overtime

Fun and supportive work!

I've been at The Cornish Bakery Totnes for just over a year now, and I love it!! I joined as a team member and worked through both lockdowns (as I wasn't eligible for Furlough) with great support from the company throughout. My team are like a family to me, we work hard every day but have a good laugh and I know they've always got my back. The pay is really good with bonuses and incentives often available. During my time here I was trained and promoted to a team leader (supervisor) position, which has been challenging at times but has really pushed me in a positive way. I love working here and would recommend it to anyone!!

Pros

50% discount, free counselling/mental health care through AXA, great social life, pay well above minimum

Cons

Quite physically demanding work

Fun but busy place to work

The bakery gets busy but the people you get to know make it worthwhile, especially the staff because you become so close with them. It is a lovely place to work and I really enjoy it

Pros

Staff benefits; paid birthday off, free coffee on shift etc

Pomotion,bonus/benefits are inevitable and just a really nice place to work.

Since ive started working at the cornish bakery ive become more than just a member of staff, we are a family. The thing i love most about working here is how organised and clear things are, also the pay/bonuses are really good and if your looking to earn promotion you wont go unnoticed!

Pros

Bonuses

Cons

Socially draining

Cornish Values to the Core

I have worked for TCB over 7 years. From a Bakery Manager I now hold a position that is still encouraging my growth whilst working in my area of passion, growing and developing our teams, now being part of the L&D department. This shows that we like to progress from within, alongside building positive and engaged new teams with our new recruits and in new bakery openings. I get to drive all around the country visiting our amazing teams in gorgeous locations. There is always support available and our Stronger Together moto is fantastic, especially during the Covid crisis. Showing that we are a family that look after and support each other whilst achieving targets.

Pros

Staff benefits, great teams

Great job

Great place to work! Although can be busy at times the team always make the day a lot better. Free coffee on shifts and 50% off food is a bonus. Great if your looking for a customer based job!

Pros

50% off food and free coffee on shifts, you will never work your birthday your given an extra day holiday to have it off

Great work/life balance

I worked here for around 3 years as store manager. My experience over all has been a good one- I was lucky enough to have an amazing area manager who pushed and encouraged my personal growth. Company itself is growing and so more policies and procedures being put in place because of this, as expected. Overall fun but competitive culture between other stores and areas- great place to work but as management you would need to be 100% in it, not just for the salary but the experience too. Company did really look after all workers throughout covid in terms of safety and furlough.

Pros

50% off

Cons

Long summer hours

A great place to work

I love working in the Newquay bakery, its only a small team but definitely a good team to work with, the company definitely thrive on there values, it can be fast-paced and challenging at times but thats what brings the fun to work. The benefits the company offer are amazing i.e paid birthday off, good rates of pay ive never known any other business to offer so many benefits plus in store incentives, full training is provided plus chances of developing in your roles which is a bonus for people like myself who have developed and still developing daily with the support of management above, The Cornish Bakery definitely go above and beyond to make us the world's best.

Pros

Free Coffee at work, staff discounts, Valued, always recognised

Exciting, innovative and compelling

The Cornish Bakery is an innovative and empowering company to work for. It’s ‘people first’ attitude means many colleagues are loyal and long serving, which is testament to the companies core values. There is the chance for everyone to develop and learn new skills in a fun and friendly environment. It’s for those that enjoy a fast paced environment in lovely locations with many colleague benefits.

Pros

Development opportunities and training of new skills

This is a great privately owned company that really values it’s staff.

This is a very open and honest company. There is extensive training both on site and online. Staff are empowered to help grow the business. The company is a high quality bakery with an outstanding customer service ethos

Pros

Extensive benefits package. Great working environment.

Cons

Can be fast paced during busy periods.

Best company to work for

Honestly the best company out there to work for . Great benefits for all colleagues and always look after each other . For me personally always looked after me and made me feel appreciated Always opportunities for progression. Having worked in alot of the stores you can feel the values in place are adhered to on a daily basis and couldn't be happier with the decision I made 7 years ago to join such a wonderful company .

Pros

50% off

A great place to work, good team environment, good management structure

Really enjoyable place to work, especially in the environment we are in at the moment, have to say what a great job the management have done with keeping the team safe and the customers safe, using screens to seperate the areas, everything constantly being sanitised, hand sanitiser, just real safe, good benefits and plenty of chances to progress in the company, also what I like about this company is that they are forward thinking and proactive.

Pros

50% Staff discount, Free drinks, team incentives, fun culture

A great, easy and cohesive team and enjoyable to work with.

Since I started working at the Cornish Bakery last June (2019) i have settled in very well, I enjoy working with the whole team and getting involved with all aspects of the shop. I feel everything is handled fairly and our managers keep everything running fluently which keeps us a cohesive and effective team.

Pros

Half price for staff and generous staff benefits for birthdays, long service, marriage etc.

Cons

No free food at end of day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cornish Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement