The Cornish Bakery

Clear
3.8Pay & benefits

bakeryprogressioncoffeebirthdaylovelydiscountincentivecore

Excellent company

Great company to work for, always thinking about the employees and looking at ways to advance your career with them. Take time to coach and provide great training. Lovely atmosphere

Wouldn’t recommend

Best thing about this place is coffee culture. If you want great barista training and love high-end coffee - become head barista, you will love it. Unfortunately for other roles it’s not the same.

Pros

Staff discount on food, great coffee

Cons

Long hours, no overtime for managers, generally disorganised, high management turnover

Insights into The Cornish Bakery

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks

Sometimes enjoyable

I worked for this company for 4 years and during that time I seen alot.During busy seasons your expected to work ridiculous hours and sometimes without a break and in the bowness shop you have to go up and down the stairs often to do the dirty dishes. There is bulk deliveries of frozen pasties that you usually end up putting away yourself as at that time in the day there is usually you and one other staff member. I think the over all ranking in this shop is ridiculous managers need to be setting example of what they expect from staff. There is barely any work life balance as they advertise it is not something they pride themselves on. They do not value staff in my opinion, I worked there for a long time and I was off for a while with no contact from anyone in the company to check in as I thought it would have been polite to do so.I seen many managers come and go also exceptional staff members that were a credit to the company but due to poor management they decided to leave. They only offer zero hour contracts to anyone below manager. I could go on but it would be pointless.Such as shame as the shop in bowness could be great as it was when I first started.

Pros

50% off

Cons

Minimum break times for long hours

Collaborative, engaging and rewarding

I can honestly say I love working for the company otherwise I wouldn’t have stayed for 5 years. It’s innovative, following an amazing growth programme and really focusing on its development of people. It’s still hospitality and there are many challenges but the work life balance compared to many in the hospitality sector is a bonus and not to be dismissed. It’s an exciting time to join as we are developing our people, our culture and our portfolio.

Pros

Feedback is actioned, people first company

Cons

Too many changes in quick succession.

A great place to work

I joined 2 months ago and am so glad I did! The company has a great vision and plans for the future. Everyone knows your name and it feels like a family environment

Stressful and low pay

i worked for the company for almost a year and my pay did not change, as someone who is under 18 the pay is just not acceptable despite me putting in a lot of effort, working overtime when needed, covering shifts on my days off. the company themselves are great but the pay and the work life balance have a detrimental effect on staff

Hard work, long hours little reward (pay)

Loved working for this company and watching it grow. As with any business in the tourist sector, the work life balance suffered despite what they claim, but they were happy to accommodate personal circumstances to a point.Its a great job if you don't have children. Progression slows when you get to certain levels. Overall loved my years here naturally there was ups and downs, its a shame they can't reward loyal people with the higher salary they deserve and they have worked for, rather then offering the higher salary to the replacement, which I thought was very insulting. As for overtime expect to work unpaid. Wishing them all the best for the future.

Pros

Great culture led by a passionate owner

Cons

Long unsocial hours, always short staffed, always expected to just get on with it.

A good ish company

Generally a good company, it does depend on who you have as a manager. Work life balance can be hard as they expect you to muck in in the high season. Training is great though.

Avoid at all costs

Your just a number to the company, your mental welfare and safety doesn’t matter to them, they just want money. High turn over of safe, because they don’t look after anyone. Poor management, untrained. Childish atmosphere, toxic, everyone talks behind peoples backs, even managers. They pay you pennies and expect the world. Never work life balance. You will be bullied, laughed at, and never be appreciated. Area managers, never available when needed, only work week days. Expect to be miserable, and have no life once you accept a job. Save yourself and avoid at all costs!!!

Fun workplace and fast paced!

Great place to work if you love being on your feet, working in a team and enjoy interacting with customers! Lots of incentives to work towards, bonuses, staff get togethers and great work life balance!

Fantastic place to work

Very friendly and supportive love working with great staff and quality products, always look forward to going to work In the morning, I'll be here till i retire

Good range of responsibilities, nice working environment, opportunities for development

After working for The Cornish Bakery for only a few months I got the opportunity to go from team member to head barista, which I’m currently in training for. Great example of how the company encourages development from an early stage, and training is very thorough with continuous support through the process. Can be very busy and fast-paced at times but my colleagues are very level-headed and make sure everyone is ok at all times. There have been a few occasions where I’ve had a rough day or not feeling 100% and my manager has been incredibly supportive. The only reason I gave 4 stars not 5 is purely because the company does not count Boxing Day as a holiday, which I personally don’t think is fair for whoever has to come in early in the morning to open up. But apart from that I do love the company and thoroughly enjoy working for them.

Pros

2 colleague drinks a day, opportunities for development, flexible & accommodating hours

Cons

Boxing Day not a holiday, can be stressful at times when it is busy

Fun workplace with lovely employees & management.

The job is challenging but approachable. Customers are kind and colleagues are helpful. Management were amazing and made me feel respected. Would recommend the branch (and company) to anyone.

Pros

Atmosphere Kind staff Discounts

Cons

Additional time spent closing down

Great workplace

I have worked here for nearly 3 years and have always been empowered in my role. The company have a complete understanding of work life balance and supports their colleagues. Each day is different and challenging but always fun and everyone pulls together when needs must.

Pros

Fun, flexible, work life balance

A company that genuinely is people first.

I joined the company in June this year and have been impressed with how important their people are to them... They actually mean it when they say it!A great work life balance, with a 40hr contract as a manger, which is actually the amount of hours expected, not 50+. A supportive and understanding team at all levels with a real passion for its people and product.

Pros

Work life balance, great upper management, thorough training, a growing business with opportunities, 50% staff discount

Good place to work 👍

Started working as a summer job and felt welcome from the start and really enjoyed my time there . Would definitely recommend…

Pros

Good pay

Amazing staff and great company

Came back after a little while away and what a start it’s been! Just hit ground running felt more appreciated by management than I have ever done! Future looks bright and looking forward to be apart of it

Pros

50%off Free Coffee! Working away at beautiful locations

Cons

Long hours but that’s hospitality

A fantastic place of work

A fantastic place to work where you feel valued everyday. The training is very thorough and you are well supported throughout. Excellent work/ life balance as no late nights which is extremely rare in hospitality. The company is extremely people orientated and there are many opportunities for progression.

Pros

50% discount, good work/life balance

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Fantastic company to work for, very supportive training wise from day one. Very busy day to day with the current difficulties with recruitment across hospitality but still very enjoyable and the lack of colleagues doesn't bother me! My manager has been very understanding and supportive both with my training and with some personal issues I have unexpectedly had outside of work recently. The culture is really positive and I love the 'people first' mentality; the total opposite from my previous job in retail. Lots of opportunities to learn new things and work up the career ladder. No late nights which is rare in hospitality! Love it here

Pros

Free hot drinks, no late nights, great work life balance, supportive management

Cons

Can be long hours but that's hospitality for you!

Busy but great place to work

Totnes is a busy store however team really do make the place a joy to work, senior management are great, company really work with you to progress up the career ladder.

Pros

Paid birthday off, great team, free coffee on shift and 50% off all food/drink on and off shift

Cons

Long hours, unpaid overtime

Fun and supportive work!

I've been at The Cornish Bakery Totnes for just over a year now, and I love it!! I joined as a team member and worked through both lockdowns (as I wasn't eligible for Furlough) with great support from the company throughout. My team are like a family to me, we work hard every day but have a good laugh and I know they've always got my back. The pay is really good with bonuses and incentives often available. During my time here I was trained and promoted to a team leader (supervisor) position, which has been challenging at times but has really pushed me in a positive way. I love working here and would recommend it to anyone!!

Pros

50% discount, free counselling/mental health care through AXA, great social life, pay well above minimum

Cons

Quite physically demanding work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cornish Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement