The Entertainer

The Entertainer Employee Reviews

United Kingdom192 reviews

toychristmasdemotillstocksundaycolleagueshop

It was ok-ish

Staff were friendly but ‘cliquey’. Opportunity for development and hands on management. The work is very general retail and a little boring on a slow day. Expect angry mums trying to return toys with no receipt.

6 June 2022
Hello,Thank you for the time you have taken to send us your review. We appreciate feedback from all our colleagues past and present and we would like the opportunity to discuss the points you have raised further. Please can you email us at Responses@theentertainer.com.Thank you.

Enjoyable place to work

regular demo activities, hands on and plenty of opportunity to get involved. Very keen on progression opportunities. Fast paced but very enjoyable place to work.

Pros

Closed on sundays, progression opportunities

6 June 2022
Thank you for the time you have taken to tell us about your experience!Its great to see so many positive comments why you enjoy working with us. If you'd like to discuss any of the points you have raised with us or would like to leave any further feedback, please email us at Responses@theentertainer.com.Thank you.

Insights into The Entertainer

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Not worth your time

Don't work there. Not worth your time. Horrible culture, immature colleagues, poor pay, rota based shift work that is not flexible. Very poor office set up, small screens, bad chairs, slow systems.

31 May 2022
Hello,Firstly, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for the time you have taken to bring your experience to our attention. We value the feedback of all our colleagues past and present and I am sad to hear you felt your experience was not reflective of our core values. I am concerned by some of the points you have raised and I’d like the opportunity to talk with you. Please can you email me confidentially at lizzie.breeze@theentertainer.com so I can discuss this further with you.Thank you,Lizzie Breeze

Enjoyed my time, heard it is all change now

I enjoyed my time with the company, always felt that the company really valued it's staff. I am still in touch with people who work there and they say that the company's values have changed and they don't feel job satisfaction like they used to.

31 May 2022
Hello, Thank you for the time you have taken to send us your review. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your time working with us. We value the opinions of all our colleagues, past and present and we are sad to hear that some of our colleagues your still in touch with feel their experience is not reflective of our core values. If you would like to discuss your review in more detail or if any of our colleagues would like to get in touch confidentially, please email Responses@theentertainer.com.Thank you.

Demanding but great culture.

I found my time at the Entertainer extremely rewarding and have taken all that I have learned to my new role. Generally a good company, like all workplaces it falls down when management is not effective. The owner, very passionate.The stock management system is not fit for purpose and causes a lot of time consuming problems.

Pros

Great people.

Cons

Requirement for dress shoes cruel for team members on feet all day-work boots would be much better.

31 May 2022
Hi,Thank you for the time you have taken to send us your review. Its great to see you found working with us extremely rewarding and have been able to use the skills that you have learned in your new job.So we can understand some of the points you have raised, we would like the opportunity to discuss these further with you. Please can you email us at Responses@theentertainer.com.Thank you.

Don't waste your time here

The culture of this company is stuck in the dark ages. Lack of ethics, empathy and even diversity. There are clear favourites of senior management and if you are one of the favourites, you will be looked after. Don't fall for it being a 'family' company. They dont care about YOUR family, they care about THEIRS. Your well being is never taken into account and your line manager just wouldnt think twice to get you back into work even if you've told them you're in the hospital for a heart scan. They pile on so much pressure and everyone is afraid to speak out. Don't believe all the facade around welfare, diversity and wellbeing, it literally is just a smoke screen.

Pros

Cons

Poor attitude from management from regional south down

6 May 2022
Hello,Firstly, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for the time you have taken to tell us about your experience. We value the opinions of all our colleagues, past and present and we are sad to hear your felt your experience was not reflective of our core values.As a family run business, our employees and their families are important to us. One of the great benefits working at The Entertainer includes Sundays off. We recognise that family life is important, that’s why we maintain keeping Sunday’s special and always close our stores.To the point you raised about diversity, at The Entertainer, we have an ongoing strategy and commitment to diversity and inclusion, helping everyone working with us to feel they are truly welcomed and valued as part of our family. We have made great progress with this in the last 12 months and are excited to see, with the help of our colleague representatives, where it can take us in the future.So we can understand you review and investigate further, we would be grateful if you could get in touch with us confidentially at Responses@theentertainer.com.Thank you.

Fun Workplace

Positive environment and really nice colleagues. Customer base was also nice from my experience over the Christmas period. I enjoyed my time there.

3 May 2022
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to read about your positive experience working in our Cambridge store, it sound like you worked with an awesome team. If you are interested to come and work with us again, please get in touch!

Management had favourites no training at all!

This was my first retail job, the management hated me! Because I was young and didn’t know what I was doing because I didn’t get trained awful staff awful training. Got treat like dirt because I didn’t automatically know what I was meant to do even though I was never trained on any of the things I was Doing!!

Pros

Good pay. Discount on funko pops

Cons

Poor management.dress code was awful.

3 May 2022
Hello,We appreciate you taking the time to bring your experience to our attention. We value the opinions of all colleagues, past and present and I am sorry to hear that on some occasions you felt your experience with us was not reflective of our core values. To help us improve our employee experience we would very much like to discuss this further with you. Please can you email us at Responses@TheEntertainer.com .Thank you

Overall good

I worked there for 2 weeks. It was alright over all. I personally enjoyed it because i like kids and toys in general. It’s a nice place to work overall.

11 April 2022
Thank you for the 5-star review! We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed working for The Entertainer!

Lovely and colourful environment and very friendly and polite workers

It's been very exciting working for this company and everyone else including the manager has made me feel very welcome. My favourite job was checking to see if the items' prices and codes were correct by scanning them

lovely and fun workplace

Amazing place to work. Management are great and so are all the staff. it was an amazing experience to work there. The staff were always helpful when I struggled with anything. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping a customer with what they want.

Cons

nothing much

Not what it used to be

I worked for The Entertainer for over 8 years. To begin with it was a fun role, as the job description describes really, however it has rapidly changed for the worse in recent times. Unrealistic targets, huge workload/deliveries and very low staffing hours. The IT systems are outdated and trying to get things fixed when they breakdown is a job in itself. Complete lack of tools needed to perform your role to the maximum including help with employee issues. Because of the company stance on looking after employees it's especially difficult to remove poor performers from your team. HR will advise a whole rigmarol just to get the ball rolling on performance management, often leading to months of frustration. When you already have a thread-bare team, having to spend hours dealing with problems is not ideal leading to you falling even further behind on the day to day. You really cannot afford to have an underperformer. All the fun has gone and management are essentially just glorified shelf stackers. They expect commerciality but in reality you just don't have the time between working the ridiculous sized deliveries, promotion changeovers, managing staff & dealing with the customer service aspect. Stores are massively understaffed to cope with the expected standards & workload and I often found myself working extra days/hours unpaid just to keep up with the day to day tasks. You'd be lucky to receive any type of praise for working yourself to the bone.The stockholding is a joke for the size of store. The product range is huge and so much cheap tat. Customers treat the place like -

Pros

Decent benefits like paid day off for birthday, cycle to work scheme, extra holiday days for long service

Cons

Understaffed throughout the business, stressful (especially at Christmas)

11 April 2022
Hello,Thank you for the time you have taken to bring your experience to our attention.At the heart of our business is our people and we are sad to hear that your experience has not been reflective of our core values. We appreciate and value the opinions of all colleagues past and present and we would very much like to discuss this with you so we can investigate further. Please can you email us at Responses@theentertainer.com. Thank you

Fun Workplace

Fun place to work, nice colleagues and good pay. Would work there again. Christmas can be busy and stressful but it teaches you skills of how to work under-pressure etc.

7 March 2022
Thank you for leaving us your positive review. If you'd like to give us any further feedback, please email us at Responses@theentertainer.comThank you

Allot to take on board as was 1st job in retail, all was very straight forward and a fantastic learning curb.

A typical day at work would be on the Tills most of the time, bringing items forward on the shelves, making space for new items, scanning products to check for price change, printing new labels, re arranging stock on shop floor, bringing more stock upstairs. During all this I learnt to operate epos systems, use a Till with scanner, add discounts or price reduction & navigate the system. The my learning pool was also available to study at home for advice on healthy living, knowledge about the company, product reveil with a series of videos and more. Management was fantastic for most parts the training was very upper class, unfortunately failed a bit when breaks were issued to soon or too late, asked to do jobs no one else had to do cause I was the tallest like wipe the logo outside or pull the string deco down, which I didn't feel offended by and just got on with the job. When asked to peel stickers from the floor during oppening hours I was a bit confused, was the last week and was asked if i'd like extra hours, little did I know it was to be over pressured with late or too early breaks & allot more work, mainly cause one Manager had fallen sick. I also feel Manager could of been a bit stricter with other members of staff in regards to Mopping shop floor & keeping staff fridge free from smells & in regards to myself, asking me to mopp entire shop floor solo in 30mns was a big challenge and did 90% 1st time asked, I had to really push myself, second time I brought a spare mop incase another member of staff had time which they did. The work culture I arrived to would describe -

Pros

Great learning, wide option for eating out, discounts on products.

Cons

When asked to do extra hours, was over worked and a bit unfair.

25 February 2022
Hi, We appreciate you taking the time to bring your experience to our attention. We value the opinions of all colleagues, past and present and I am sorry to hear that on some occasions you felt your experience with us was not reflective of our core values. To help us improve our employee experience we would very much like to discuss this further with you. Please can you email us at Responses@TheEntertainer.com . Thank you

Lovely Christmas job

Christmas temporary position. I loved it here, really great staff, selling fun products. Sociable hours. I would definitely work for the company again.

Pros

Always paid correctly and on time, Approachable fair and kind management, Great daily rota mixing up tasks, Fun products

Cons

Cold in the winter like most shops, Sundays must be one of your days off

21 February 2022
Thank you for sending us your positive review. We'd love to share this with the store team you worked with. Please email us at Responses@theentertainer.com and we can pass this onto the store management team.

Super fun place to work

Loved every minute working at The Entertainer! The staff were lovely and management treated you with respect.Was able to have a laugh with everyone too.

Pros

Could have a laugh and a joke with the management team

21 February 2022
Thank you for sending us your positive review. Sounds like you worked with an awesome team in Grimsby!

Fun place to work, good opportunity for progression.

Great place to work, especially if you want a part time job. Difficult to earn more money unless you get a promotion as overtime is slim. Other than that its a brilliant place to build skills in customer service and sales.

4 February 2022
Thank you for the time you have taken to leave us your review. We are happy to see it was a fun place to work in our Leeds store. If you would like to give us any further feedback that we can pass onto the store, please email us at Responses@theentertainer.com

Horrific

It was such a daunting work place, the discomfort you feel is horrible. Management bully you and even make remarks about physical disadvantages you have (it’s not my fault that I have difficulty hearing at times). If I’d tried to ask the managers for help or even a simple question I’d feel so much aggression from them. There’s so much stress and anxiety just going in as I’m worried about how they will treat me. It’s sad to feel so much regret and mental pain from working here.

Cons

Being bullied on daily basis

4 February 2022
Hi,We appreciate you taking the time to bring your experience to our attention, and we would very much like to talk to you about what you have said, there are serious and concerning allegations here that we wish to investigate as soon as possible.Please email us at Responses@TheEntertainer.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you

One of the best place to work

I realy enjoyed working there. Team leaders super visors were very friendly. Everyone there was very helping. Unfortunately it was temporary work till new year.

Pros

Free tea coffee

Cons

8 hours job but time pass very fast there

11 January 2022
Thank you for the time you have taken to leave us your positive review. If you'd like to give us any further feedback, please email us at Responses@theentertainer.com

Good for a Christmas temp.Would work again

Working as a Christmas temp was fairly easy, it consisted mostly of organizing the shop, putting out stock, working on the tills and processing orders. I will say that learning about how to process online orders through the tablets might take a while to learn but it's not difficult.

Pros

You get trained, You get half an hour breaks after working 4 hours and 1 hour after working 8 hours, a Staff discount of 20%, Good pay, an Amazing team.

Cons

You will need to multitask as your job will change during the day, shifts can change but usually, You may have to pass out flyers around and outside the shop.

11 January 2022
Thank you for your review. We'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you for all your hard work over the festive period. If you'd like to give us any further feedback, please email us at Responses@theentertainer.com

Fun workplace, room for progress from within

I would highly recommend this place to anyone who's looking for a start into retail - this company looks after their own well and there's always new toys to learn about

4 January 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your positive review :)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Entertainer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement