The Great Care Company

The Great Care Company Employee Reviews

Helpful and friendly company

I currently work for this company and have been for the last 17 months. I find them friendly, easy to approach when there's a problem. Having started at the York office and recently been transferred to Harrogate Office. It has been easily done with the help and support from both sides . I would definitely recommend The great company to anyone who is thinking about been a carer . Such a fabulous team to work for am proud to be one of them .

Pros

Free PPE, online training

Cons

Long hrs

Not a fair office , avoid (York)

This company has potential to be actually "GREAT" but unfortunately the York office is far from this. Very micro managed and the manager only hires friends to big them selves up. This leads to bad care practice. Training for this job was none existent (2 hours practical at most). Management isn't very approachable, especially when it involves someone close to them. Some staff even favoured before clients when safeguarding issues brought forward by clients. Don't waste your time with this company, promise you everything and you get nothing at all.

Pros

Lovely clients and a small handful of good carers

Cons

Terribly managed. Horrible staff (managers friends)

1 June 2021
It is a shame to receive a review like this, noting that we provided you with a lot of support during your time with the company, especially when we provided you with a lot of additional (paid) time off for your various personal needs and we were there for you continuously. It is quite suprisingly to hear that you feel that management is not approachable, as this does contradict the facts.We understand that, from time-to-time, employees and employers do not necessarily agree on everything and that there can be a breakdown in relationship. We feel that there was a misalignment of values in this experience.We are sorry to hear that you feel that the team are "horrible", however this is a view that is not shared by others. Our team go above and beyond for our clients and for each other. Examples include supporting a client who had no family with free companionship support, organising food hampers for clients who have little food, carrying out a range of charity and community based work, providing a non-english speaking client with a free tablet for language translation, hosting client social events (socially distanced, of course) and providing free portaits for clients to cheer them up during lockdown. We could list more but our reputation speaks for itself and it will continue to do so, as we will not relent in providing an excellent service to our clients, being a strong employer to our team and providing any support we possibly can to our local community. It is a real shame that you feel the need to discredit people when they are succeeding. We genuinely hope that you overcome -

A wonderful place to work

I’ve been with the company for around 8 months, and I really can’t find any faults. Any issues I’ve ever had, management have helped and supported me throughout! I’m working full time while studying my masters and management are always checking in with me, making sure I’m not overwhelmed, stressed and making sure I have enough time for my deadlines. The customers are wonderful and I enjoy every second I spend with them. The rate of pay is competitive and we’re constantly asked how the company can improve. They value their staff 100%.

Pros

Management, contacted hours, rate of pay

6 April 2021
What a lovely review. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and leave this review for others to read. We are really pleased that you feel supported the way that you do. We are also very impressed and proud of you for the work that you are doing with your masters. Thank you again for leaving such a fantastic review.

Cannot recommend enough!!

The name of the company says it all, they really are a 'great', 'caring' company. This was my first time coming into domiciliary care and to start I was very apprehensive and anxious about not knowing what I was doing. Everything was taken at my pace, with constant reassurance and positive encouragement.They have an amazing on-boarding system, which leaves you feeling supported from start to finish.There is so much room for progression within the company and staff are supported and enabled to progress higher up the bands, if they would like to do so.The company and manager really care for not only the staff but the clients, going above and beyond to really make a difference to everyone's lives. I think this is quite out of the ordinary and I've never seen a company care so much, just really going above and beyond.I'm really happy I applied for this role and even though I'm new to domiciliary care, I already feel so confident and have the lovely staff and my manager to thank for that. There's still so much more to learn, however I know I will be supported all the way!So thank you, thank you, thank you!!

6 April 2021
This is such a lovely review and we are really pleased that you feel this way. We understand that being new to the domiciliary care sector can be daunting and we are really pleased that you have found your feet with it. There are so many kind comments in your review and we feel that it really does sum up the team here... "caring". Everyone cares about our clients, our colleagues and the wider community, and your review sums this all up perfectly... so it is our turn to say "thank you, thank you and thank you" to you :-)

The best domiciliary company I've worked for

There will always be good and bad things people say about a company but for me, this is the best company I have worked for. The pay is more then competitive and you get your fixed contracted hours as well. Gone are the days of the zero hour contract stresses. I enjoy my work every day, it can be challenging at times but you have masses of experienced people around you to ask for advice and guidance. The company really supports and encourages you to build a career with them. The clients are lovely to assist to remain in their own homes and I love the extra hours scheme that means you can bring one of your passions or hobbies into your working day and get paid for it! The owners and registered managers of the company are passionate about delivering an outstanding service and they also want to give the best possible employment packages to the carers that work with them. It is a team effort and some of the carers I have worked with are some of the best I have ever come across! I feel blessed to be part of this work family!

Pros

Good rates of pay, contracts, flexible, supportive

6 April 2021
This is such a fantastic review - thank you. You are quite right, there are always good and bad things with any company, and we always work as hard and smart as we can to address any bad things. We are really proud of you for your progression so far in the company, especially as you started as a Home Care Assistant with us and now you are an Assistant Manager. We are really excited about your future with us and we are looking forward to continually building a positive working environment with you and caring for the wonderful clients who deserve to have the choice to remain at home. And you are also quite right... we are a family! We will always support you, as family do.

Great care company to work for .

I started working for the Great Care Company as a home carer after undergoing mandatory inhouse training and shadow shifts before I was out on my own working. It was a bit daunting but I was given plenty of telephone numbers to call just in case I needed a little help and reassurance and trust me I was always on the phone. Nobody ever grumbled and they were always there to give me the help if I needed it . I soon got relaxed and really started to enjoy the clients visits and it was so nice not to have to rush as we have always got plenty of call time; so spending that time we have with clients is so very important to them, having that cup of tea or even a lovely chat and it is nice to think when I leave it has made a difference. Unfortunately not work related I injured my back and had to be signed off work sick from November 2021. I was devastated. My employer couldn't have been more supportive and reassuring . My manager telephoned me to see how I was and how my progress was as I was receiving physiotherapy treatment and also awaiting a hospital appointment .After being off for several weeks I began to become extremely bored and so I asked if I could do some work at home to keep me occupied. My manager soon sorted out some work that I was able to to at home and this helped; still signed off from work my doctor agreed and I began to take on some light duties. As a company, they always asked if there was anything further that they could support me with. I have worked now for The Great Care Company for around 14 months and feel lucky to work with a company that not only -

Pros

Plenty of support and communication to staff.

Cons

Cannot think of any

25 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of working with The Great Care Company. As you say, we believe in being as supportive as we possibly can to our team and we really put everything we can into making sure that everyone has everything they need. We know that since November last year it has been quite challenging for you and we were really pleased to welcome you back with light duties. As you know, we value every single team member and we will always find a solution to support our team when they encounter difficult times.Thank you for sharing your experiences of how you have felt supported. We are very grateful.

Great to be part of a team

I have worked at the company for some time now and I find they are very caring & supportive. The staff all pull together and work well has part of a team, always willing to help out. The company goes the extra mile for both customers and staff wanting to make a difference. Felt safe & informed throughout the panademic.

Pros

Care about there staff, Approachable, Contracts

Cons

None so far

25 March 2021
Thank you for your review. We do pride ourselves upon being caring and supportive, which we know you also are. We believe we have a great team here and we are building upon it with your help. We have a lot of new initiatives and schemes being launched throughout the year, as well as a lot of new opportunities for our team to get more involved in their local communities, do more creative things for our clients and learn more through training and gaining qualifications. Most importantly for us, from your review, is that you have felt safe and informed throughout the pandemic. No-one could have predicted what has happened over the past year but we believe our team, including you, have reacted incredibly well and have worked together like family.

great place to work

I have worked for the York branch for some time and I wanted to leave an honest review.management are approachable and will always help you if they can.throughout the pandemic, we had 3 pay rises and got 2 weeks extra annual leave and a bonus at Christmas.the company paid for all the staff and customers to have home cook Christmas dinner and gave the staff who was working Christmas day time free social care call so we could eat a Christmas day meal with the customers to combat loneliness.we are all on fixed contract so you have job security.

Pros

approachable helpful management

Cons

not found any

25 March 2021
Thank you for your honesty. We know that the working in the care sector is very challenging, even more so due to the pandemic. It really has been a tough year for everyone. However, this is also one of the most rewarding jobs any of us could ever ask for, as we get to support people to remain independent, maintaining their dignity, respect and privacy. We are pleased that you feel that management is approachable and will always help you if they can. The 3 pay rises last year, the extra 2 weeks of annual leave and the Christmas bonus were all very well deserved, as was the Christmas dinner for everyone. Our team, including you, have been magnificant especially during the pandemic and we are really excited about the future, about making a positive difference. Thank you again for your review. It is really appreciated.

Fantastic company to be a part of

I've worked for this company for some time now and I find them to be very supportive, caring and understanding. The role involves supporting people in their own homes which is very rewarding. You need to be quite an organised person for this role, someone who can adapt to changing needs, but you are trained and supported every step of the way. There is a new opportunity for staff to pick extra work that they want to do to go the extra mile for our clients, which has made me really happy. The pay is good and the colleagues are great. I'm really happy and I look forward to staying with the company for as long as I can.

Pros

Supportive, good pay, choice of work, fixed contracts

Cons

Can't think of any

25 March 2021
Thank you for sharing your experiences of working with The Great Care Company. As you know, we are all always striving to achieve the best for our clients and our colleagues, whilst also making sure we are contributing positively to our local communities. We are really pleased that you are enjoying your role and being part of our wonderful team. We value you and we are proud to be working with you. Thank you for you positive approach and for supporting people to remain independent at home.

Be very careful!

I worked at this company (part-time) they do take advantage, and will try and over work you. ‘Shifts’ randomly appear on your timetable as soon as they become ‘short staffed’. Be careful when signing the contract as they will take money off you (large sum) when you leave. Managers also very unsupportive and will expect you to work 7-3 to then do a call 6-6.30 and not get paid for the 3 hour gap but expect you to waste your day sitting around for a half hour call! Just be very careful of this company! Do NOT recommend.

18 March 2021
It is a shame that you have opted to post a negative review without discussing your concerns properly first. To give some context to your comments, you joined the company on a fixed contract and immediately changed your availability, thus breaching your contract. We could have withdrawn the conditional offer of employment, however we chose to do everything we could to work with you and your changed availability. Our Managers worked very hard to support you with this, as did other Home Care Assistants who voluntarily changed their shift patterns to accommodate you.If there are ever moments of the company being short staffed then we do ask colleagues to come together and work as a team to help cover for the person who is off (e.g. sick). This also happened on the occasions you were off sick. It doesn't happen often but, especially in the current climate, we look for teamwork. We have a fantastic team who have excellent principles, however sometimes (on rare occasions) there isn't a good fit (such as this case).Regarding deductions when an employee does leave, we do make deductions for your DBS (as we cover the entire cost) and we do deduct any training that we have paid for you to undertake (in your case we signed you up to a national qualification on a fast track because you advised you wanted to do this training). We make all of this very clear when you joined us and we often waive fees in various circumstances.Lastly, you are not expected to sit around waiting for a half hour call. This is very misleading. We have a unique system whereby you can go and work from home, -

Jobs at The Great Care Company

See more jobs

Made to feel welcome

I am so pleased to be working at the great care company. The whole team are amazing and work really hard to make you feel welcome. There is so much help and support available, the clients are so lovely, the fixed contracts meant that your job feels really secure and the hours are really good. Theres lots of extra things you can do to help the clients, you are encouraged and supported to go the extra mile for clients which is amazing.

Pros

Fixed contracts, support, training and feeling valued

Cons

None that I can think of

15 March 2021
Thank you for your review. You are very kind to share your experience. We are pleased that you feel encouraged and supported to go the extra mile for everyone that we support. We have made a lot of improvements over the past 12 months and there are more to come. Thank you again for taking the time to provide a review.

Love my job

This is my best job so far, the staff, management and clients are just lovely, management care for staff aswel as clients, help is always there if needed, hours to suit and other things to do to top hours up so you get ur full hours, I just carnt fault it.

Pros

Great management and staff

9 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are really pleased that you are enjoying being part of the team at The Great Care Company and you feel the way you do. It is what we are continually striving for... to be the best employer that we possibly can. Thanks again for your review.

Secure and lucky

I couldn't be happier that they are my employer during the current coronavirus pandemic. They've given us all extra support and give so much information regularly. I feel so secure and lucky during a time of uncertainty for most people.

Pros

Good communication and team

Cons

Sometimes long hours

Mediocre -no different to any other domicilary care agency.

Whilst in employment there were some negative issues around staff behaviour towards other staff - particularly new starters. Some policies and procedures unclear and appeard to link to a previous organanisation which made things rather confusing. Contract issues around working time regulatons. No moving and handling policy. Upon leaving my position management ignored data requests for my training records and certificates. Carcosclientreqtrainicertificates.

28 April 2020
We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience whilst working with the team. This isn't consistent with a lot of other people's experience but we take on board your comments and we are always keen to improve upon our already high satisfaction ratings from staff, clients and clients families.Just to be clear, our policies do not link to a previous organisation and we certainly do have all of the appropriate policies, as made clear in our CQC inspection whereby we were rated "Outstanding in Caring". Additionally, there are no contract issues around working time regulations. We understood you had some queries relating to your working hours, but it is believed that your understanding of the Working Time Directive is not up-to-date and you did not engage with us fully on this query. It is possible that the fit between you and us was not quite right, but this is perhaps a view from both parties but there are no hard feelings. It is inevitable that sometimes things do not work out as hoped. Your Manager did try very hard to support you and work with you, and that is something we will always do.We understand that you did make a request for your certificates by email, however your email went into the recipients junk folder. As soon as they knew they had received it, your request was processed. Apologies in the delay in responding to this, however (as you will know) our attention has been firmly on the COVID-19 epidemic. We wish you luck for the future and all the best. Stay safe and take care.

Fab workplace

Fab company to work for. Management are very approachable if any problems and all staff are easy to get along with and everyone pulls together to help each other out and is an amazing team to be apart of.

28 April 2020
Thank you for your kind review and we really appreciate this feedback. We are pleased that you are part of this amazing team. Apologies in the delay in responding to this, however (as you will know) our attention has been firmly on the COVID-19 epidemic.

Finally a job i don't dread going to!!

I have worked with the great care company for a few months now. Out of my 16 years experience in the care sector i can honestly say it is by far one of the best care companies around. The staff and management are amazing and really pull together when times get rough. After all in care work, we work with people. Things happen that aren't expected, staff get sick, people have other commitments and of course customers can become poorly too. This small in numbers but huge in quality care team at the York office have so much passion and drive to deliver a care service that not only fulfils the needs and wants of the customers, but also strives to give staff the hours they require. True it isn't for everyone but that's why it's called the great care company for the carers who see that the need of the customer is greater than their own and will do their best for that customer whatever colour, creed or social status. It's refreshing to work for a company that values people as people and not how much money they can make out of them. I can see me working here for a long time.

13 November 2019
We're so happy to read that you enjoy your role in our team so much! We enjoying working with you to make a difference in the community.

Not great

Didn't have a great experience with this company. Great clients although not very understanding managers. Found quite judgmental and not allot of hours as advertised when starting. Other colleagues are great. But would never work for this company again. Not very caring for a care company.

28 April 2020
It has clearly been some time since this review was left but we wanted to respond to it nonetheless.We are sorry to hear about your negative experience. We are proud of our employee retention and of the work that our team put into providing an excellent standard of employee welfare. The current COVID-19 crisis and our handling of this is certainly a testament to this, whereby both staff satisfaction and client satisfaction is at a record high, despite the outlook for the country.Whilst there may not have been enough hours for you when you joined, we have now moved to Fixed Contracts only (abolishing zero hour contracts within the company) and this has certainly addressed this issue. Our team are now guaranteed their hours and expectations are managed from the offset, which is what we think may have caused your negative experience.It is especially disappointing to hear you state that we are not a caring company. Our team is made up of people from all backgrounds but the one thing that connects us all is our caring nature and our strong values. This is supported by the face that we were rated as "Outstanding in Caring" by CQC, it is supported by our amazing reviews from our lovely clients, it is supported by the free social care and free shopping support we provide to our clients, and it is supported by our amazing teams approach to handling the COVID-19 crisis (which you can learn more about by visiting our website). It would be fair to say that we can continually improve and learn, but we certainly cannot be accused of not being caring.Nonetheless, we would like to wish -

Really happy!

Everyone hears bad thing about care companies out there, but all I can say is that I am really happy working for the great care company. They have been very good to me, very early on, and I appreciate it.

Pros

Friendly team, welcoming, good training

Cons

Too early to know but it feels right here

19 August 2019
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear that you're enjoying you induction with us and look forward to having you as part of the team for a very long time!

At last a company who looks after their staff!!

After working in domiciliary care for a long time and working for large hungry companies where the customer was just a call not a person! it is a refreshing change to work for a young modern company who are constantly looking at better ways to do things for the customers and staff!!

Pros

Paid travel time paid mileage paid commuting miles!

Cons

none found

19 August 2019
We're lucky to have you as part of our team and look forward to working with you more in the future to keep moving the company forward for the benefit of our clients and team!

A small team with lots of benefits

I have been with the company for over a year now and in that time I have been promoted to senior care companion, to which I love. I work with a small team and alongside management. We maybe small but we are growing. The job is fab and the company is supportive with my request for hours and they support me when I require time off to support my children with there sporting careers.

Pros

Job security, flexibility, great teamwork

Cons

Not come across any yet

15 April 2019
It's great to read that you are enjoying your position in the company. As with all of our team members you are valued for the commitment and effort you continually show. We hope you continue to progress with the company as we grow!

15 April 2019

Great place to work friendly staff lovely clients if I have any problems I always get the help and answers that I need. Since starting this job role with the Great Care Company I have grown in confidence and look forward to the future with all the team and clients and the GCC.

Pros

The GCC give you the chance to work your way up higher if you wanted too.

15 April 2019
It's great to hear that you enjoy being part of the team as much as we enjoy you being part of it too. We appreciate your hard work and commitment and look forward to continuing to work with you in the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Great Care Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3