The Ivy Collection

The Ivy Collection Employee Reviews

The worst and most inexperience managers

Probably the worst place I have ever worked in my entire life. The management had no training to be managers. They treat everyone like maids and give them very low pay. You have to work extra hours to make more money. Staff are rude to each other because the management is very immature.

Pros

Music and nice guests

Cons

Rude managers and staff, low pay

Productive and really busy

Poor management, low wages, big expectations, lot of responsibility, no career development after CDP, unless you accept to do 60 hours per week, no respect for personal people's life.

Pros

Free meal

Cons

Long hours, low wages

Productive and fun working place. Fast paced and ideal place if you want to progress with your career

The pay is quite good. You get free lunches on shift. The management is good but needs to listen little bit more and help staff. Good environment to work. Nice people. Easy to make friends. Fairness and respect. I had a good 2 years of work experience. If you’re hard working, then this is the place to work as you gonna have the opportunity to progress with your career. Went from a normal KP to a Head KP because they appreciate your hard work and humbleness.

Pros

Good place to work, opportunity to progress with your career. Free lunches and fairness. Overall great place to work

Cons

Management needs to listen little bit more to staff.

High intensity, hard work

ProsGot amazing training from the company. The team is great, and all the managers were really good to me. Managers are happy to help you on your section if needed, all you have to do is ask.They give you paid break!! And free food!!! (Which is really good)Cons as soon as you graduate from a trainee (blackshirt) into proper uniform the work load picked up.Have worked 14-16 hour days with only 1 hour break.Sections are really huge for the quality of service you are expected to provide. Sometimes up to 30 heads. I’m busy services tables will be rolled over within 5 minutes, resulting in me often feeling overwhelmed. But, the company keeps all service charge. Fell it’s unfair Given big sections (up to 30 heads) Very hard work.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

They keep service charge. Large sections

Exceptionally awful

No tips No service charge Working long hours Not a single chance for progression Waiters were asked to lie to costumers that they're getting service charge but actually company takes it all.Don't ever choose IVY

Pros

Staff food

There are better companies out there.

This company, like every other company, claims to have "high standards" and "values" but you're only being paid slightly more than over companies out there just to wear a suit. I'd recommend a job a JDW if you're looking for something less pretentious with nearly similar pay because the benefits are next to non-existent. It's also located next to a homeless shelter which is quite ironic for brand identity.

Pros

Nothing really.

Cons

Management, position development, work schedule.

Poor management and not staff focused

Head office felt like a call centre. No family feel within the team. Everyone works in silos. Management were best friends and not professional at all when it came to decision making. Long hours, no flexibility. It seems the company invest their money on cosmetics within the restaurants as opposed to their team. Customer is always right (which sometimes isn’t true, when you’re being hurled abuse on the phone), team member is always wrong.

Pros

50% discount on F&B

Cons

All of the above

Fun workplace

Enjoyable place to work, lovely people! Hospitality hours though so work/life balance can be a bit tricky. It can be extremely intense and busy but a overall great place to work

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Work life balance can be tricky

Confusing workplace

Promised many things, nothing gets delivered. Was offered plenty myself, got nothing and ended up overworked and unappreciated. Given responsibilities as a sous chef without the title and the pay.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Hours and pay

Experience

Run all day for nothing , they don't care about you they treat you like everything is your fault when usually the mistakes starting from the management team .

Friendly and hard work

This is a very active job and the hours are very good for money as long as you are willing to work them as full a full time employee. The management are very understanding and will help with anything that you are worried about in the best way they can. It is a friendly work place full of bright people. If hard work is what you are after, for a period of time, then is a good place for you.

Pros

Good pay and friendly faces

Cons

Hours can be long and unsociable

Nice place to work

Would definitely recommend the ivy on the square as a great place to work. It's busy, stressful at times, guests can be very difficult but overall nice money and nice environment.

Would be a nice job if not for the gossipy workers and awful management

I was hired by The Ivy in February 2020 and enjoyed my shifts. However, the management team were incredibly gossipy and rude and whilst I was being trained, I overheard them on several occasions talking about me negatively. I am a resilient person and ignored it but it made for an uncomfortable training period and a odd atmosphere whilst working. Anyway, I continued working and eventually worked by myself which was all fine. However, when the pandemic came along, I heard nothing from the company about furlough etc. I then got my P45 emailed to me out of the blue, with no other email explaining why it had been sent- presumably because of the pandemic and me being a new worker. However, I then went to email the HR team as to why I had received my P45 and for feedback to which I received no reply. The HR team at that particular Ivy are poor. Only positives of working there were the pay and food if you worked a shift over 6 hours.

Pros

Food and Pay

Cons

Management awful, gossipy atmosphere among workers

terrible

sacked 12-15 loyal hardworking staff members due to them wanting to spend 4k on christmas decorations. worst place to work in. terrible main managers

Pros

Cons

everything

Ivy Cardiff

I worked for the company from when it opened and had trouble from the start. The management are rude and horrible and treat us all like dirt. Many days I’ve seen waitresses and waiters CRYING and getting emotional over what managers have said. New management have come in ruling with an iron fist and have fired me aswell and waitresses and runners with rubbish reasons. They are losing al of their good staff to hire the people who are friends with the managers.

Pros

Staff food (if the chefs say yea to cooking it)

Cons

Management are rude and have favourites, not job security and bad hours

The Ivy Richmond

As a receptionist, you need to clean tables and set up tables with glasses and everything after guests leave. The pay is 9.5/per hour. I worked many years in reception and i never did the work of a runner. IS NOT A RECEPTIONIST DUTIES TO CLEAN TABLES!!! You also greet and seat guests at their table.

Pros

Beautiful location

Cons

Bad management

Mostly young and inexperienced ppl and a predatory environment and clique

You are expected to follow policy and procedure even though the team leaders and management don't themselves... As a newbie it isn't my job to be reminding my manager what they should be doing or taking up the slack of others when they see an op to get the newbie to do the harder jobs. The food was subpar and kitchen hygiene was lacking. Would never eat here let alone work here. Avoid

Pros

Cons

All of it

Minimum pay for maximum work

Worked at Norwich when they first opened. Soon found out that the owner is more interested in taking your tip/service charge money than the business. We got none of our tips that is company policy. You are not allowed to tell customers this either or you get disciplined. Once someone left and for that whole week of notice he told every customer this he made a lot of money and made that last week worthwhile. Customers were not happy either to find this out.. The owner makes millions from this and does not care about his staff at all. Only image and money. He should try focusing more on staff well being and management. Some rely on tips to cover petrol, parking and cost of living in a city. This is why the staff turnover is so high.

Pros

Free lunch but soon gets boring having fish cake or shephards pie for dinner.

Cons

Long hours, no tips, no support.

Very False facade that soon slips

They made it seem like it would be a great place to work, but that facade soon falls, long hours, no support from managers awful to be honest. The free meals on shifts would sometimes not be what you ordered.

Pros

Free meal(when the chefs has the time)

Cons

Longs hours, horrible managers

Terrible place to work

One of the worst working experience in my life.Avoid is the usual big company with not respect.After this experience I change my career..to stressful.Bad management

Cons

Complete facade but its ok

Hospitality all sucks and this isnt a great place if you hate all hospitality but it is better than some places and you do get good food sometimes when they actually want to cook it and dont serve something horrible. It is NOT the same quality as guests food. chefs are very horrible and think people who arent chefs are less than them its very toxic. runners, waiters and bar are usually understaffed and working the job of two people and this is normal to them. managers some are good some talk down to you and the big managers rarely close. ur told progression is good in this company but its rare to see people get any progression at all some of this is normal of all restaurants but the ivy is good at adding that fakeness where they pretend its all easy and high class but its at a large expense of the waiters and bar. their mental health comes after the high end service. the pay is ok but retail pays the same or more for easier work where ur not treated bad. oh, and ur social life is dead.

Pros

free lunches and a better hospitality job than most plus the gm is ok

Cons

a facade kept at the expense of ur mental health

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Ivy Collection. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement