The James Hutton Institute

The James Hutton Institute Employee Reviews

I lost my job here after I disclosed my mental health problem to my Line Manager who questioned their own suitability for this role and lacked training and support from HR. My condition was shared with others without my consent causing me extreme anguish and pain. They refused to work with me again stating it would cause them distress. My LM's wellbeing was prioritised over mine from the start.
I spent only two months in The James Hutton Institute and everything was great. I learned a lot of new laboratory techniques and it was all great experience to work with real professionals in the fruit research field. I really recomend this institution.
Pros: Working at James Hutton you are mostly left to get on with it. The holidays are good and pay average. There is zero opportunity to advance, 1 percent pay rises each year. In my dept Management was awful with zero people skills , set in there ways and don't like "newcomers" with opinions, don't listen to staff, dictate everything and very unsupportive . Such a shame as it could be a lovely place to work if management issue was resolved and they would take on board other peoples opinions and have a less selfish attitude.
Pros
Holidays/Pension
Cons
Set in ways dont listen to staff
I really enjoyed my time here. I learned a lot about how a "real workplace" environment worked compared to university. Co-workers were very friendly and approachable.