The Midcounties Co-Operative

The Midcounties Co-Operative Employee Reviews

I feel the staff mostly are self focused, more interested in there own break regimes. Customer service is a secondary thought, when and if they have to do it.
15 April 2021
Thank you for taking your time to leave a review.If you have any concerns regarding your colleagues, please raise this with your manager in the first instance. Whilst the wellbeing of our colleagues is of the upmost importance, customer service is just as integral to the roles of those in our customer-facing branches.We hope that you continue to work for Midcounties and have a positive experience.
Great colleagues and great managementNever gave you extra hours without asking firstWould always try and fit your hours around you, because of this it never feels like your private life is affected by working life Build relationships with the customers
Pros
Good Hours, Good Team, Good Management, Good Pay
29 March 2021
Thank you for taking your time to leave a positive review!We are happy to hear that you enjoyed working in our Retail group. Our managers are there to support our colleagues and their needs whether it is on a shop floor or at our Head Office. We always want to ensure our colleagues have the best working experience.Wishing you all the best in your next role.
Great management structure for getting work done store ran efficiently to make each day an enjoyable place to be for both customers and staff . Great place to work environmentally friendly does at lot for the community and raising money for charity
Pros
Get to make great friends, paid breaks
Cons
Sometimes short staffed
29 March 2021
Thank you for taking your time to leave your review.We are glad to hear that you had a positive working experience with us. The structure of our management, across the Society, is important for all of our colleagues so that they feel supported and that our branches are organised in their day-to-day running.Social Responsibility is one of our key values. We encourage our colleagues and members to volunteer and support local charities and communities. It is also our responsibility to implement and continue to support the environment through measures such as sustainable packaging and bags within our store.We wish you all the best in your next role.
Work hard and take the initiative to do anything on the cashier and customer service to increase revenue at the cooperative itself. besides that in customer service, it must also be followed by conditions or conditions that are very polite so that it can attract many people and increasing customers.
Pros
Free Launches
18 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.We appreciate the hard work and productivity of our colleagues. It is great to hear that you are having a positive experience whilst working with us. With regards to your point about long hours, we are continually working to ensure that our colleagues are happy with the roles and responsibilities they are doing. Please know that your feedback will be passed on to the relevant team. We hope you continue to enjoy working here.
A lot of added stress. No home/work life balance. Expected to do shifts at the drop of a hat regardless of personal plans. Hardly any training given and lack of support from management. More like a playground.
26 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience whilst working with us. We are continuing to working on ways to develop our training functions to allow for our colleagues to further their career development with Midcounties.In our Food Retail stores, we work with a scheduling system which takes a colleague's availability into account against our key trading times to ensure that we have the right people in the right place at the right time. As we are in unprecedented times, we have seen a higher than average short term absence due to self isolations and colleagues may be asked to work different shifts at short notice to cover. Ordinarily, we provide rotas 4 weeks in advance.We value your feedback and it has been passed onto the relevant teams to improve the colleague experience. Wishing you all the best for the future.
Managers are lazy and incompetent they aint got a clue, bullying, belittling backstabbing is ripe in the coop and nuffin is done. Ure expected to do the managers job while they do nowt. Lazy colleagues who get away wiv doing nuffin gets promoted to team leaders
10 December 2020
Thank you for your review.We are sorry to hear that you have not had the experience that we want our colleagues to have. There is a great deal of assessment and training involved in upskilling and promoting colleagues to help further their careers within Midcounties. Furthermore, there is a huge amount of support available to all colleagues regarding safe working practices and inclusivity within the workplace. We have shared your feedback with the relevant team and wish you all the best in the future.”
Very productive and staff are really great the children their are lovely the location is easy to find and I would recommend it to friends and family to bring their children there.
Pros
Discount in the main shop
I have worked for Midcounties for 3 years collectively. I have seen some changes most of them for the better.. There are many benefits of working for Midcounties and many career progression opportunities.
Pros
Career progression
Cons
Biggest issue with this company is payroll my wages have been wrong every month and it seems to take them ages to actually resolve the matter. Too many managers who just palm you off when ever you have any problems
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Pay & management
If you're a lower ranking colleague, its fine but as a manager, its still an old fashioned set up with senior managers who lack dinanism and direction. Still too much.. "if your in the click" you'll do OK and still too many senior managers who need to retire. It can be a frustrating company to work for who are 5 yrs behind the competition.
Pros
Good work life balance and benefits.
Cons
Old fashioned management who have not moved with the times.
There are training manuals on line to help and give support also enough managers team leaders and other members of staff that train The hours of work are automatically sorted by kronos via the hours you as a person are available to work
The company is very lovely and caring. They ensure to help you at any time and they ensure to help improve your skills. The staff are kind and the environment is welcoming.
Worked one shift training was terrible as if they could not be bothered with me at all. Two supervisor sat out back doing very little. Worse retail job I have had in 35 years. Avoid working at Tuffley Finlay Road.
Cons
Going to work felt productive but exhausting sometimes. Productive because customers need help but with that exhausting cos it makes doing the job more difficult less time for instance to finish what was needed to be completed.
Pros
Get to see colleagues who are great to get on with
Cons
Midcounties were a good company to work for compared to other retail companies. The job as manager became more stressful all the time as targets have to be met & hours have to be worked when short staffed! Saturday working is now compulsory but so far bank holidays don’t have to be in the post office, although they do if you work in store!! However I was made redundant after working for them for 13 years!
Internally Co-op values are just a PR stunt The Exec and senior leadership talk about the importance of colleagues, colleague engagement and career development, but that’s only true ifyour ‘face fits’. Culture has changed a lot in the last few years, some areas not for the better. A few external people have joined the senior leadership team in last 12 months and they seem to put their own ego and results before the Co-op values
I have worked for this company for many years, the jobs easy stack shelves, work tills and cleaning including toilets. There is chance to progress but only if you are liked by the manager. I have work with different managers at different stores and it's clear that they are all the same. If they like you great, if not they will try there best to get rid of you including bullying. All stores are full of back stabing and two faced, clicky staff. Your availablity has to suit the company not you, the whloe caring, family and customer orintated reputation is not true. The company only care about figures and profit, everyone who works within the company are just a number and easily replacable.
Avoid at all costs, poor management, CSA’s are treated like slaves while the management take all the praise, would not recommend anyone to work here. If your face fits you can go up the ladder but if it doesn’t you are treated like a nobody
My typical day is starting in the morning, doing banking, checking emails, ensure everyone has things to do, then on the shop floor do a normal production maintaining. Good side of the company is that you can do progresses in a short future if you are interested and suitable. There are lots of apprenticeship opportunities as well.
Learn and understand the Co-operative movement if you want to achieve at this organisation. Values are important. Dedication and ongoing cooperation are important with all stakeholders as is understanding of the society values. Enjoy your work and strive for perfection.
On a typical day at work my roles would include: dealing with deliveries, handling cash, managing the team, shelf stacking, facing up the shop and counting stock. Most enjoyable part of the job, is working with the team and having staff morale incredibly high. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with shoplifters and confronting them if they were caught.