The North Face

The North Face: 39 Employee Reviews

United Kingdom39 reviews

fun but stressfull

I enjoyed working at North Face as it was a fun environment and lovely staff. My issue was with the amount of hours i was given when the store knew my availability. Most times i felt pressured into doing extra shifts that i was not able to do. I was placed on shifts when i was meant to be in school . I was only a seasonal sales assistant so i hope the part timers and full timers get a bit more respect with boundaries. All and all the jobs not hard and with the right management it would be pleasant.

Terrible Management

I had the misfortune of working at the Newcastle store as a supervisor for nearly 3 years. As a company they say the right things and seem to care, but these messages get dilluted at this store as the manager is terrible. Days are long and boring for little pay. You do get 50% off discount which is pretty much the only perk. No work life balance at all. At this store the manager has zero personal life, and seems to want all staff to be the same and dedicate all their time to the brand. Schedules not completed fairly and often change last minute. If you have plans, tough. There is zero progression opportunities at this store, so all a bit of a waste of time unless you just want something easy and short term. The staff turnover in the Newcastle store is like nothing ive ever seen in my life. Be prepared to waste your time training new starters, only for them to suddenly leave and then you start again with the next one.

Insights into The North Face

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Worked as a supervisor

Great company to work for, management are so supportive, but are a lot of polices and produces to understand, a lot of responsibilities! Aka staff awareness, sercuity, vm, store standards! Whlist serving customers!! If you can multi task all that.. then brilliant!

Pros

Great money, great discount 50%! That’s amazing!

Cons

Long hours, a lot of responsibilities!

Stressful, long shifts, and expected to act as security.

Overall, I love the brand, but working there was incredibly stressful. I was constantly told to keep an eye out for shoplifters, and when we did get stolen from (which happened A LOT) it always felt like unless you were on the other side of the store, then you were to blame for not being vigilant enough. This meant I had to decide between doing my actual job of serving customers, and working as security at the front of the shop.Management was varied, I had a really good supervisor whilst I was there, but on the other hand there were definitely times where the other managers could be difficult.The hours were REALLY LONG, and I had to work overtime from the beginning, even though I was already contracted a lot of hours.The salary however was what I expected, and you do get a great discount on clothes and free uniform which changes a couple of times a year, and you get to take it home at the end.Overall, not a terrible experience.

Pros

Uniform, Great discount.

Cons

Long hours, always working weekends, stressful.

VFC what a company

If you want a company to look after you and guide you in the direction of retail look no further. Management where absolutely amazing cannot speak more highly about this company.

Pros

Excellent staff uniform and discounts

depends on your store

it depends on your store and who arrears working with. also depends on the time of year! its slow and boring in the summer as we don't have loads of customers however in the winter and Christmas time its fast pace and more enjoyable. more tasks to do to make the day go back

Pros

50% discount

Cons

boring

Toxic environment- avoid at all costs

Where do I actually begin, the worst job I ever had and the job that had such a negative effect on my mental health.Store manager is lovely at times but she didn’t really put her team or staff first, she worked us all like robots and had no consideration for staff.Staff would come in with covid like symptoms she didn’t encourage them to get a test or send them home she allowed them to work with other staff and she really put us at risk. She also didn’t like lockdown and wanted to work so she expected other staff to work during the pandemic because she was bored, she had no consideration of the fact that they may have vulnerable family When it came to staff, a lot of the team were uni students and Rotas change for them, if it didn’t suit her work rota she would encourage them to hand their notice in, she had no consideration for uni students.When it came to holidays and days off, she didn’t approve religious holidays, she also wouldn’t let you have a day off for a dentist appointment.She was very pally with one of the supervisors so you had to be careful what you do as the supervisor would go and tell the manager immediately.The supervisor was very lazy and never did any proper physical work she constantly moaned about her health In front of the team rather then set an example. The supervisor was very rude to customers, she told a customer that their child was autistic, the customer complained and the manager didn’t even investigate it and allowed the supervisor get away with it. The supervisor and manager expected you to stay beyond your shift and not get paid, -

Pros

Wonderful sales associates And customers

Cons

Awful management, toxic environment.

Lovely working environment

Friendly, helpful and understanding managers. Worked here throughout my third year of uni and they have been very understanding of my situation. Would recommend working here to anyone.

Great Products, let down by low salaries

The North Face has always been a very strong brand, known for it's quality and style by mountaineers and streetwear users alike. Unfortunately in the UK at least they pay far less than any comparable brand, creating a situation where it is difficult to recruit staff who are skilled and dedicated enough to perform at the expected standard. Moreover it has been a shame to see the brand slowly transforming from a brand that makes products that last for a purpose, to a fast fashion brand with declining quality and a greenwashing approach to the environment. The store manager and Area manager are both very nice, however it is clear that their ability to influence change is very limited and decisions about everything important are largely made by people who will never visit the store.

ambiente coinvolgente e istruttivo

The North Face è una compagnia seria e all'avanguardia in cui mi sono da sunito sentito parte del team, mi ha aiutato a crescere professionalmente.

Productive and fun place to work

Fun place to work, always learning new things. Meeting new people and building rapports with colleagues and customers is always great. Great company with great incentives

Satisfying workplace

Whilst working here I met great employees and lovely customers to who I could build a rapport with to understand their needs and wants better. Working here allowed me to build my confidence and how to deal with different customers every day.

Pros

Great relationships with everyone

Cons

Parking in the area

Professional and fun

My desired role when working in retail was a relaxed environment where workers could work hard and enjoy, The North Face was exactly that. Working there as a sales advisor helped me become more relaxed and confident whilst working with customers.

Pros

Well payed

Cons

Short breaks

Overall view it was good the vibe was excellent however the pay was bad and their management was not effective.

Overall view it was good the vibe was excellent however their management was not effective. The contract copy was not given to me and the resignation process was poor.

Pros

Two lunch breaks

Cons

Journey was far

Not fun

Did not enjoy working here constantly making you know you are the new person and being made to do tasks the managers are too lazy to do even though you are untrained in these areas.

Pros

50 percent discount

Cons

Bad Pay

UK Retail stores

District Manager never supported stores in his district. To occupied with his own importance and career path. Store and Assistant Manager turnover over 70% in 12 months in the UK. Awful company to work for high turnover of staff. Lack of training supplied to stores from head office. Compared to training in actual Outdoor stores. This is not an Outdoor brand anymore which is reflected in the fact it is sold in Sport-shops now. Low calibre staff in stores who struggle to understand customers needs. Also staff with poor English language skills causing frustrations with customers.

Friendly staff and sufficient training

The company ensure that all staff are adequately trained and fully understand the features of the items in which they are selling. However, pay per hour is the minimum wage. Great staff benefits.

Fun place to work in younger years

I have thoroughly enjoyed working at north face the day is good and the bonus scheme is fantastic, most of all my management team were fantastic and really supportive when it cam to my other commitments

Great Retail Job

Always occupied due to the popularity of the North Face as a retail store however the management is very relaxed and lenient as long you're doing your job correctly and meeting the sales targets.

Pros

Hours, Pay and Other Benefits

Worst manager ever

Great company but I was unlucky.I had a frustrated manager who treats the staff as slaves changing their schedule every day without announcing,because he couldn’t manage to do it properly.In times of high trade it was shaky and was not a support for the team. Never assume mistakes , blaming others,and he was not open to new opinions believing that he was doing everything perfectly.I didn’t had support from manager and supervisor, both was really fake people .Really a bad experience No Pros only Cons

Amazing Places to work.

good place to work, good friendly stuff lots of support and fun place. learn new things everyday. It's a good place to up-skill you training and fun..

Pros

free clothing after 6 months

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North Face. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement