The Open University UK

The Open University UK Employee Reviews

This is a very collaborative inclusive place to work. I love the ethos of the whole place. It is a huge place and is difficult to find ones way around when first in post. But you will be armed with your trusty map of the uni and will need good o.s, skills to get around. However, most of the people based on site are very personable and eager to help you to find your way.
Pros
Onsite cafe subsidised prices
Cons
Some of the people in charge are poisonous and sly. Beware who you take into your confidence.
I did not think that I would write such a bad review for a company in whose aims for lifelong learning and widening participation I support so totally. However, I feel associate lecturers have been badly let down by this company, and I now realise that I am working for a business that is willing to lead its casual workers down the garden path with promises of a permanent contract, only to renege on this commitment with no notice on the grounds that it cannot put in place effective systems to facilitate the change. Perhaps this excuse could be valid from a small company with little experience of IT, but from the leading provider of distance learning? No!I now realise that associate lecturers are regarded as little more than casual staff who can be used as the university sees fit. They can be lied to and given false hope (upon which some people have made serious decisions) only to have these quashed by an e-mail that states they are less important than an IT system. There are 4,900 workers affected by this in the middle of the worst pandemic and economic recession this country has seen, and these poorly valued workers have been supporting students well beyond the hours expected, throughout this crisis.Shame on you Open University!
I loved working at The Open University, fabulous work colleagues, good working conditions. Great grounds for long walks to relax at lunchtime. Gym very close by.
My peers are nice that's the only positive I have about this company, the shifts pattern is ridiculous cant have a life with these patterns and this department get walked all over on, a lot of sexism in the office as well.
This is a rubbish place to work they built it up and I started working here and it turned out the job was not lerm term as promised. they are in finance trouble as they are so rubbish at everything I hope they go bankrupt as their behaviour stinks
Pros
Odd cheese sandwich
Cons
hard toilet paper
the typical corporation approach to people management in business and law faculty has curious approach to managing people no clear career paths for people who are not connected or related to management
A great place to work alongside great people. Plenty of benefits and good holiday. Various clubs and societies that you can join to meet new people and make friends
great university very flexible with your personal lifestyle. I have always wanted to continue studying but have been unable because I am trying to build a career for myself at the same time but because of open university they allow you to have both study and career.
Pros
flexible
Cons
not many tutor sessions
Interesting work and the opportunity to work with a diversity of students. Subject taught when employed was well supported with excellent resources and materials.
Pros
Worked from home
Cons
student fall out.
I was made a lot of promises about promotions and job security and then was let go without any warning with 2 young children to support. Im sure that not all the managers at the OU had such bad working ethics but i was left in very vulnerable position thanks to the OU.
As an Associate Lecturer you get a balance of lots of material supplied for you to teach with and also the autonomy to work in your own style. The salary is not great and there is annually an issue about whether contracts will be renewed. If this is your only line of work then that's very stressful. Management when I first started nearly 20 years ago was very stable but over the last 10 years I can't tell you how many managers I've had, some of whom I barely knew their names before they were replaced. But it's a very supportive culture amongst your fellow associate lecturers, ask a question and someone always knows the answer. It's a good place to work if you enjoy doing lots of work online using up to date technology. That could also be challenging if you don't!
Pros
Lots of peer support
Cons
When the technology fails
A typical day at work was not particularly challenging but the team was always able to provide work. The most enjoyable part of the job was analysing excel spreadsheets and solving their problems before uploading them.
Pros
Good Break setup.
good working environment, friendly, always willing to help, management is quite nice as long as they see that you are putting in the effort, job patterns is quite reasonable
Hard work but very rewarding. Great staff and management.style. lots of events and ops. Learn on the job. Highly recommend it but lots of work and can involve a bit of travelling.
Pros
Great staff management
Cons
High workload
After using open university as an educational provider to study modules in Chemistry, Maths and Biology to enhance my A-levels. The tutors and access to materials was excellent.
Don't follow their own internal procedures. Your face either fits or it doesn't. If it doesn't you're out the door the same day, even if your work has been exemplary over a long period of time. HR are a joke. No wonder the Union is so vociferous. The work is mundane, unchallenging and the pace of delivery is slower than a Yo Sushi turntable! Good people don't stay.
OU was facing up to the new world of higher education whilst I was there and as a result, undergoing a period of significant change. This did lead to some inconsistent decision making, people moving / leaving which did hit the project. However the team on the ground were good and wanted the project to succeed (it did). Only really negative thing about OU is the location - quite a way from the nearest mainline station and that the nearest town is Milton Keynes....
Pros
Home / flex working
Cons
Commute / location
The work centres around the build-up before assignment deadlines. It is a great opportunity to flex those communication skills. I have learned a lot about clarity, resolving ambiguity that can transpire in instructions given out for essays. I provide practical and moral support to distance learners, connecting and breaking down social isolation, this job requires empathy, liaising and problem-solving skills. This is my second year of providing this consultancy for The Open University for my final course in linguistics at the OU, I particularly enjoy the satisfaction of enabling others to achieve their aims.
Supportive culture designed to enable those with families/other commitments to succeed. Detailed and comprehensive study material with online and refular face to face tutor support.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Technical problems occasionally with Virtual Learning Environment
The Open University is a gem of a British Institution. Having always wanted some formal understanding of creative writing this course gave me just what I needed.
A typical day could be responding to emails or answering the phone, dealing with all manner of enquiries from students across the globe. Assisting students who have differing types and degrees of disability was particularly rewarding. On occasion students could often be upset and emotional or even very angry. This could be challenging. The workplace culture is very much about teamwork and supporting colleagues.
Pros
Excellent support mechanisms.
Cons
Current ongoing changes can be unsettling.