The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 1,059 reviews matching the search
Worked for Salvation Army for 9 years as assistant manager in a Charity Shop. Very relaxed atmosphere, good team of volunteers who all helped to get the best out the shop in terms of ensuring good turnover of new stock, displaying items and reaching our expected targets each week. Obviously a Church run Charity and had to work to their values but that was never an issue, and the help they offer to communities and individuals in trouble is second to none. I only left due to a number of shops having to close, ours one of them, and worked for another Charity soon after but wasn't the same at all unfortunately.
Pros
Friendly, family atmosphere. Relaxed workplace.
Cons
Hard to manage a decent break if short staffed, Was old fashioned in didn't have card payment facilities, old style till system.
Really good employer.I recommend them. They have supported and helped me over the years. I have enjoyed my time with them.............................
It was so exciting to work with a group of staff and volunteers at The Salvation Army, I learned the basics of how to manage a shop floor entirely. I was responsible for money handling with use of the epos till and card payments, floor and window merchandising, stock rotation and space to sales analysis and assisting the shop manager achieve KPI's. As more of our customers are generally 25 and over the hardest part of the job was when our closest customers opened up to us and would tell us heartbreaking stories they've experienced over the years, This was essential in building customer relationships but learning to keep a professional workplace environment whilst feeling and showing im so empathetic to someone is something i quickly had to learn to do.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
No security
I am a current employee and I love my job. There is a great staff team and plenty of support available.A great experience and no shift is the same.You make a massive difference to people’s lives.
Pros
Great team, supportive management
Cons
No cons for me
Management rude to staff.Lovely residents......needs not met as always under-staffed.Worst place I have ever worked.No training in Dementia care and considering this is a Dementia care home that is unacceptable.
Pros
Cons
Lots
I did apply as a Creative Crafts assistant it was delayed because of the the First National Lockdown then the Second and now the Third I decided to cancel the application for the Creative Crafts as many of the volunteers had left etc and management had changed over hands.
Pros
Yes free lunches was included
Cons
No long hours
Fast paced and constant changes in systems and processes but no time given to train or adapt to these. Referral Officers are constantly bombarded with relevant and irrelevant Tasks and unrealistic timeframes; despite being busy already.Manager/Team leader has poor practice, lacks management & reason behind many staff leaving as approach is more comparable to a Dictator than a manager. Loves to delegate her own tasks and other department tasks onto referral officers regardless if appropriate or not.Director whilst nice and respectful is unfortunately, not around as often to foresee daily situations etc.The staff itself are stressed and some choose to find flaws and errors in others peoples work and/or place their tasks and additional work onto you which makes it more difficult on some. Team Morale low and negative environment as the few who once were positive, are impacted and join the demotivated & devalued poor group.
Pros
Difficult to say
Cons
Management/Constant changes/Unrealistic Expectations!
The residents are beautiful, the salary is good but the beliefs of the home are that the residents are treated with the upmost care and respect which is the most important thing. The standards of care are expected to be high by management- management are supportive of staff and there is an open door policy for anyone that has concerns. The activities within the home are amazing- the residents are never bored and are always occupied doing something. The home is clean and tidy. The staff in the home are friendly and polite. The management in the home go above and beyond for the residents, staff and home. If things are not done correctly or put the residents at risk the management team act quickly and efficiently to protect the residents. The staff love and adore the residents, staff work in their home and need to respect that- if a resident cant feel safe and loved in their own home or you dont feel like you can treat them in that mannor- this isnt the place to work.
Cons
I worked at The Salvation Army for 18 months having volunteered for 3 years previously.It was a very happy time and every day was busy and there is always plenty to do.I loved the customer interaction and the daily changes in my workload as being a sales assistant you got to change the shop around and put out goods as they came in. The management team let us get on with it and we worked together to get the best results for the shop.It was a very enjoyable experience and the training and volunteers gave me a great understanding of how a shop runs.The hardest part of the job was Rotating the clothes as you would just have it done when some outstanding clothes came in and you had to get them fitted in.
Pros
Reconnect Bonuses
Cons
Working through lunch though you were supposed to shut the shop but no chance of me doing that!!!!
Worked the specialist support worker position in 2017 in Bradford. Never again will I work for such a bigoted and homophobic organisation. The manager had an issue with all males and was very self centred. Stay clear of this role
Pros
Cons
7 days a week
Really great place to work , great set of people who made me feel welcome,only there a few times a week doing cleaning, washing up and odd jobs , highly recommend to anyone thinking of doing this type of work
Pros
Lots to eat
Cons
Interesting place to work. Diverse range of people. Very Supportive place to work. Not much supervision . Can do a qualification whilst there aslong as push for it . Make lots of new friends. Encouraged to come to church but also offered support ok others ways if need it. Food vouchers available . Betters deals in the shop
Pros
Half price meals on duty
Cons
No pay
I worked there for 1 year, in that time I was offered my SQA Level 2, I met with my mentor once and decided to change jobs. I was required to pay over £1100 for a qualification I never got to see. I went back and forth with managers too no evail.
Pros
free lunch once residents have had meals.
Cons
Long hours, expected to do 14.5 hour shifts.
I like the job as a volunteer in the stockroom as it gives you training in retail and customer service roles and is good for your CV showing you are willing to work on a unpaid role while looking for work .
Pros
Shifts to suit your lifestyle .
Cons
Very poor management from service manager , poor support. No induction or 1 to 1, lack of communication. No incentive to work. Non career progression.
Pros
working with colleagues
Cons
long hours without break
Supportive environment can be stressful at times . Shift patterns can be tiring but management are understanding. Pay is reasonable for the role and there are some good benefits. The organisation overall is a caring one.
Pros
Pension is very good. Central training courses are excellent
Cons
You will need to be open about your own stress levels
Staff are victimized by management and senior management if they raise issues about the people they are employed to care for.Due to poor management staff are left with no support whatsoever.High use of agency workers. Very bad for people living with Dementia.Very worried for the all of the residents at Youell Court in Coventry.
Pros
Cons
Lots
I work at the Southbourne Branch as a volunteer, I enjoy working and always do my best at working there.When I started there I was doing two days now now I am working one, so I went to the Boscombe branch and tried my luck there. I have filled out a form and I am waiting to hear back. I was told the manager is ill and when she recovers They will hand her my application.My dad used to play I. Gloucester in the band. And when he passed away we asked for the local Salvation Army to do the funeral. If I remember my RE teacher’s name was Mr Cook who also was in the Salvation Army.When my parents died I, was feeling very down and depressed I, saw one of your group in the street and I put some money in his box. I spoke to him and he told me to go to the service on Sunday morning and I would feel most welcome, which I did and it made me feel a bit better.
Pros
It’s nice to work in such a relaxing environment and nice staff.
Cons
None.
Everyday his different each day and the interaction between the staff and customers his a very happy place to be and we are always helpful to customers if they are looking for a specific item .
Pros
Always helpful
Cons
Volunteering at the Salvation Army has helped me develop convocation skill and built my confidence levels. I’ve learned how to use the till how to steam clothes. The workers are so friendly and very easy to talk to, they made me feel comfortable in the shop
i completed work experience with the salvation army in 2017. i volunteered there as i wanted to be a helping hand to vulnerable people. i am glad i could get the experience in the Salvation army and spend time with elderly people.
Pros
helping vulnerable people
Cons
difficult to see some people in pain
  1. Employee reviews