The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,064 reviews

Found 1,064 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,996 reviews
armyvolunteershopcharityclothetillsortingsteaming

Great place to work. Not much opportunity for progression. Can be stressful at times as not enough staff to do the job. At times I felt overworked. It can be rewarding job, not many benefits apart from discount on stuff.

Pros

Customers

Cons

Lone working

good

they are based on volunteering so u are likely to get the job if you volunteer, great for teenagers who are leaving school, just sort clothes and put prices on.

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Nice Staff

Nice staff and colleagues, easy job. Was trained efficiently and settled in quickly. Felt like I could ask someone if I had any questions easily. .

Great place to volunteer

I volunteered there twice a week as part of a uni course assessment. The managers were lovely, supportive and fun to be around. Regulars who came in were very respectful and patient- even when the queues would be rather busy. Was shown how to use till, tag/steam clothes and merchandise them.

Pros

Relaxing work place, nice staff, nice managers, first pick of donations

Cons

Due to other commitments felt tired after each shift.

Nice

Good place to work an gain retail experience would recommend to those wanting to gain new skills and get a taste of a new environment such as retail if not familiar

Great staff and always a productive workplace

Being a volunteer for any charity has such a rewarding feeling. Theres always something to be doing, either on the shop floor or behind the scenes. The managers are so lovely and allow flexible hours to suit you. Not having a wage can be hard at times but this job is more of a hobby rather than an income. Great benefits such as discounts for high street retailers.

Pros

Flexible Hours

Cons

No wage

Wouldn't Recommend

I was volunteering at this job and I didn't even stay there a full week. It was unprofessional and it felt isolating due to my young age. I was working at the back of the store. Pricing, ironing and tagging clothes. The work itself was fine, it was just the vibe. Quite stifling in my opinion.

Volunteer

I worked here as a volunteer and the management was a joke always talking down to you and and treating you like a naughty boy I'm not changing this because it is true

Pros

Cons

Bad management

Hard work and not Valued

You work hard and do your best. You spoil your work clothes and you can't find the money to replace them. They would not even sel you any cheap because you had to let the customers buy first. I had to work with holes in my clothes. Then you had the problem of getting back home without getting robbed at the bus stop.

It's alright

A decent way to gain experience working in retail, but not really a long term deal unless you don't have to worry about bills. They at least cover the travel costs. The people I worked with were great.

Pros

Coworkers. You set your own hours

Cons

No pay

Working in homeless services

Poor management supporti in difficult work environment. Blames staff for lack of action in terms of abusive situations. In effective management response to difficult abusive situations. Allows this to happen without any recourse against clients who do this (staff meant to " take it")Poor overall and unacceptable.

Pros

Nice staff, secure position training adequately.

Cons

Ineffective and poor management support for staff ignors abuse towards staff by blaming staff, poor pay, poor clients boundaries on terms of allowing to much freedom, unclear instruction

Volunteer role very supportive and team spirit

Great place to volunteerHelpful and supportive Good management structure Training and opportunities are goodGreat cause and can see local benefit from supporting

The Salvation Army is a great institution to work.

I loved working at the salvation army, the leaders helped me a lot spiritually. It was a good time working there and I am looking forward to work again at the salvation army.

Fun enjoyment

I enjoyed working in kitchen for u enjoy meeting knew ppl .happy place iv worked inhelpful when iv needed it help me when I was going throw bad times .

Good

Good company to work for , friendly and supportive staff and manager and hope the same goes for you ifYou choose to work here. I know it can ge hard to get a interview though

It was a overall nice experience I mostly liked the residents and the work wasn’t too hard.

It was a overall nice experience I mostly liked the residents and the work wasn’t too hard m. I would’ve like if the management found more activities for the residents to do.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Managing activities

Fantastic organisation

Although the role can be extremely stressful, the management are supportive and keen to promote a healthy work-life balance. The organisation are also willing to invest in their staff, particularly for professional development when the staff are ambitious.

Good staff morale

Very good company to work for do this voluntary. Has brought my confidence upto to scratch snd my self esteem.good customer liason. Lovely manager and staff i work with.

Pros

Teas and coffees

Cons

Dont get paid for working there

Busy and good to mingle with all sorts of different people

Lots to do which makes the day go in quicker, friendly staff and good manager who cares to help people as much as they can. Learned a lot with doing different tasks in different parts of the shop.

Management are not good to work for

Very fast paced job and stressful. very good place to work to connect with volunteers and public and to be creative but not much help from management when asked for help very old fashioned management style to much getting looked down on and not approachable at all and alot of back stabbing some management roles need to be changed to keep up with current times.

No progression and no backing from management

I have worked at the salvation army’s for 5 years and it seems to get worser every year, no backing from management for the housing supports or for any other staff.Instead of recruiting in house they would rather outsource their employees instead of giving those who already work for them a chance to rise within the company, staff moral is always low and the pay isn’t that great either for what staff have to endure, i recommend applying for a job somewhere else.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare The Salvation Army with

Learn about The Salvation Army in popular locations

• The Salvation Army
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?