The Scottish Government

The Scottish Government Employee Reviews

United Kingdom51 reviews

governmentopportunityteamstafflotworkinggoodplace

Fun place to work

Fun place to work. Feel really valued as an employee. Great opportunities for progression. Hybrid working arrangements. Long lunch break. Friendly and approachable senior management.

Ok

Ok company should pay more for the current cost of living. Public sector pay freeze needs to end. The cost of living prices of living isn’t being taken into account

Pros

Giverment

Insights into The Scottish Government

What people like
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Decent place to work with plenty of scope for moving sideways/upwards

Generally a pleasant place to work with a lot of flexibility and freedom to choose what you do.As expected this is sometimes hampered by bureaucracy leading to slow decision making.

Pros

Flexible working hours Good career progression

Cons

Slow to react Manager ability can vary drastically

Productive and fun place to work in

Productive and fun workplace where help and advice is always available. You feel, after the initial acquiring of how their system operates, that you are valued as an individual.

Pros

Friendly and helpful colleagues

Bullying in management

Work subject interesting at times but work output dumbed down. Lack of free speech. Some competent staff and other career public servants; some good but some much less so and just protecting their positions and keeping seats warm. Managers protect long standing staff, some of whom do very little. If you are good at your job and perceived to be a threat you may experience bullying/being pigeon holed. Certainly some managers are very controlling in pointless matters to demonstrate their seniority. SG want to appear forward thinking but unfortunately quite the opposite. Could do with a complete overhaul. Many staff would have difficulty being employed elsewhere. Poor management/people skills from low level staff to ministers. Toxic environment. Could be a good place to work but management are blinkered. One day we hope there will be a shake up of staff.

Pros

Nice building, some aspects of flexi working subject to line management

Cons

Toxic, Micromanagement, career civil servants who do very little, lack of free speech

Internship at the Scottish Government

There was no typical day as an intern In the Scottish Government, there was always something new to learn and to achieve. The tasks were challenging and often left you feeling very rewarded. The staff and mentors were amazing, helping with information, showing me the ropes, teaching me skills and being a helping hand but they also gave me a lot of responsibility to be a independent worker.

Challenging and Rewarding

You are usually given quite a high level of autonomy and applying yourself and working hard offers good progression. I worked for the SG for about 5 and a half years and in that time I attained 3 promotions.

good strategies and protective to employees

Felt safe and comfortable. Kept to legal employment law. Would be flexible to time off. Friendly and family oriented. Gave all employees confidence to make the right initiative and fun community spirit. There was a good liaison with trade unions and management. Work ethics were encouraged and promoted. Opportunity to make a career for all personnel. Work environment was safe and cosy. Plenty of breaks in nice relaxing break areas. Medical supervision and resources made available to all personnel. Management approachable

Flexible working to create healthy work/life balance

Coming from a background of not having gone on to college or university has not affected my managers view of me as I do my work. I feel empowered to share ideas and develop my opportunities.

Productive work place

good work environment; friendly staff and extremely comprehensive human resources. Possibility to work flexibly and good pay. Overall, I would recommend to anyone

very friendly

i worked there for just over a year as part of a contract, i really enjoyed the team i was with as they were kind, the work i was tasked with was easy and went by quickly/

Pros

friendly team

seasonal

Great stepping stone into the civil service and department for agriculture. Good wage for a first job and clear career progression even within seasonal work.

Pros

lunch and travel reimbursed

Cons

hard Job, Tests after training must be passed

Good Workplace

Plenty of ways to progress. there are good opportunities to move up into different stages in the Scottish government. The people are lovely to work alongside.

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Repetitive work

good benefit

scottish government good on cv good wage and security ideal to start carer and move up the ladder open to other job opportunites and progress to other positions within scottish government

Good work life balance available

Good place to work with great people. The opportunity coming in as an apprentice is amazing. Staff will develop you as much as possible. In general, it is a good working environment with good chances to progress

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Can be difficult to deal with those higher up.

Encouraging and supportive

I was able to develop skills I didn't even know I had. I enjoyed going to work everyday, and found the atmosphere incredibly supportive and encouraging - pushing me to do my best, and to push past what I previously thought my best was.

Not recommended for those with learning disabilities

When I took a B2 post here, I anticipated moving up to a B3 post within around a year based on my level of work experience and qualifications. However, I was unfortunate with my line manager and team leader. At my 9 month probation, I was marked down (bye bye permanent contract) due to issues relating to dyslexia. I voiced my concerns about the unfair (and unlawful) way my case was handled (was also still waiting for workplace adjustments) but to uphold a complaint required going through the grievance process. Given how stressful my time here already was, I promptly found myself a promotion elsewhere instead.

Pros

Flexitime

Cons

Discrimination

Some days busy with tasks such as meetings to be arranged and travel to be booked, I earned a lot of things through training courses and other Modern Apprentices, the most enjoyable was learning new thibgs everyday and working alongside various teams, I think the hardest part would be working with contract people as you get a coonection working with them and then the time comes for them to leave. I think a management side needs to be worked on, it sometimes felt like bullying

Cons

Long hours worked even using flexi system

Challenging environment

Started 1998, left 2015. Every day something new. Lots of autonomy in the role, but a difficult client base, who required innovative approaches to get them to engage.

Pros

Autonomy

Cons

Difficult clientele

Average

You are given a decent amount of annual leave along with a lot of bank holidays. The salary is ok, but it is balanced for the amount of work you have to do up to a certain grade.

productive and Friendly

Good place to work with great staff. Management let you get on with the job. The culture was laid back but serious when required. Always busy but the workload was well managed.

Pros

Free parking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Scottish Government. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare The Scottish Government with

• The Scottish Government
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?