The Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust

The Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Stressful, but extremely rewarding.

As an Hca the job is very much front line with most of working day spent with patients. This aspect I love, but the ever increasing workload, paperwork and short staffing means I feel I can't always give the care and adequate time to the patients I'd like. The team I work with work well together and are on the whole, lovely people with a great attitude to the patients. Other wards aren't necessarily as cohesive. Some are chaotic due to short staffing, but I found they made the day easier with a good sense of comradery. I have to say, the hospital is the friendliest place I've ever worked, though occasionally I feel undervalued for what I do.

Pros

Friendly environment.

Cons

Long and tiring shifts.

Overall a good place to work as a Bank member of staff you can work across both sites which provides lots of flexibility and learning progression. Definitely recommend.

Medical laboratory assistant (sath)

The reason I left the job I truly loved was through management, if your face fits and you have a degree and private education you will fit in perfectly, if not good luck!!!! you will be pushed aside as we quickly found out. I worked with an amazing bunch but the management was cruel,bullying tactics and don't expect fair treatment if you have young children it doesn't exist, there are examples of this which I personally experienced i will not post on here due to annonimty. Such a shame loved the job, but majorily let down by management.

Pros

The people you closely work with

Band 6 Practitioner with good support

I applied for a Band 6 role as an Allied Healthcare Professional - equivalent to a nurse sister - and worked there for 13 years. I was encouraged to expand my interests to become a staff mentor, and Public Health England Professional Clinical Adviser. Exceptionally worthwhile.

Pros

Support, encouragement

Cons

Can be confusing with so many contradictory policies

I trained here as a registered nurse and left Shrewsbury hospital when my husband was badly bullied.

A culture of bullying has existed for years and years. I have seen colleagues bullied so they left the hospital- not one but several ,good nurses and other staff who did not deserve to be treated so despicably, they were not listened to when they raised concerns but made to feel it was them , deemed troublemakers and ring -fenced. In the 1990 era , with an increasing middle management, and the Hr department under new management a change in culture emerged.Things changed so much for the worst and bullying became a learned ,insiduous behaviour , and rife. It was almost a game of cat and mouse with the bullies and Hr against the person raising concerns. Feeling alone ,trying to do your job to the best of your ability and having to look over your shoulder wondering what would happen every day you went to work caused undue stress and the most horrible working environment imaginable. The hospital is the most un- caring stressful work place yet should be anything but this. The Hr used clever tactics and seemed to enjoy putting you on edge and the pressure and stress over time would lead to you leaving or having health issues caused because of it. Whistleblowing to protect patients, having integrity and being honest gets you all this. I would NEVER recommend working here to anyone . I know of no less than six NHS staff at this hospital in just a few years be bullied in this way and the culture was ignore ,it doesn’t happen. The lies that are told and used against you make you feel you are going crazy yet you know that the truth is the truth. I would commend anyone to stand up and -

Pros

None- I really can’t think of any at all

Cons

Stressful un-caring enviroment

Never work there

Management. You might be lucky and get a good manager most are only managers because they have been there so long and will never know how to manage people. Everyone is under so much stress. You are not valued and the bullying culture is bad. You only get on as long as your face fits.

Flexible, secure and consistent.

Great place to work with lots of room for gaining experience in different departments should you want this. A lot of on-site training available. Staff are encouraged to speak up should they have any issues.

Bully culture

Awful place I worked in hr and was subjected to bullying and discrimination. If Hr cannot get it right I'm afraid there is no hope. I raised concerns when I left and brushed under carpet. Too scared to raise while still employed there. I was lucky enough to get a job in private healthcare sector. Total opposite hr fantastic and would never return to shrewsbury nhs. Full of bullies.

20 November 2019
We are unhappy to hear your comments, whilst the Trust is making positive steps towards tackling pockets of problematic behaviour, we know there is work to be done. Would you be happy to provide further information to sath.jobs@nhs.net so we can look into this in further detail?

Racist staff including management

Former employee experienced racism from staff & patients & bullying, when reported they do absolutely nothing to resolve the issues & pretend it doesn't happen. The management & white people stick together, when a person of a different culture speaks up they are threatened with their job. Terrible management, nurse's care for their own kind better than minorities, I have seen this with my one eyes & they continue this attitude as if its normal. They expect you to the job roles that you are not trained to do & is the nurse's role & if u object, you get reported & subsequently they block you from booking any shifts there. Behind the smile of staff are racist & biased. This is not a place if you're of a different culture to come to this so-called hospital.

Cons

Racist staff & management

19 August 2019
We are very sorry to hear of your experience working at the Trust. The Trust is an equal opportunities employer and has a zero tolerance approach to discrimination on any grounds. We take matters like this very seriously and want to talk to you about your experience so that we can learn from it and take appropriate action. No one working at the Trust should experience racism of any kind and we are very concerned about your comments about patient care. Please contact our HR department on 01952 641222 extension 4527.

Proud to be part of the Team, On a Journey of Improvement

I love coming to work and making a difference, it genuinely feels like that for me. At SaTH I see everyday staff working hard to help give great care to patients, despite government underfunding and historic problems the trust is on a journey of improvement which I can see happening and believe will be achieved. No workplace is perfect and it is unfortunate that, as in every organisation, there are staff who do not commit to the "team" and the values of the Trust, but thankfully these few don't stop those carrying out their work for the love of the job and their belief in the Trust.

Pros

Job Security, NHS discounts

Jobs at The Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust

See more jobs

Negative Reviews? Believe the Hype.

I can only concur with the negative reviews of the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SATH). There is a culture within the organisation where bullying behaviour in all its forms appears to be the normal MO. SATH has an official set of values and standards which underpins its mission and service delivery. These are: • Proud to Care. • Make It Happen. • We Value Respect. • Together We Achieve. From experience there are many wonderful staff who are proud to care and work mightily hard in austerity and constant deficit. However there are many at senior operational and managerial level who seemingly only care about meeting targets. The Trust runs a leadership academy but it would appear that leadership and management are ticks in the box and another course to attend. It was a rarity to meet anyone who understood leadership is behaviour, leading by example rather than ‘do as I say’. As for making it happen, achieving together this is pure ‘pie on the sky’ wording for effect, corporate jargon. Departments are so diametrically opposed when it comes to collaboration it’s more akin to a school playground. Finally valuing respect is quite possibly the most contravened Value in the Trust. On a daily basis I witnessed first hand staff being belittled in front of service users, staff throwing their titles or appointments around and woe betide if you’ve the audacity to challenge, managers going around the houses to get the answer they want (generally a yes) and regular use of implied threat (to get own way). Also regular reneging on previously agreed course of actions -

Pros

Hard working and inspirational colleagues.

Cons

Ineffectual, egotistical and poor managers

Doing well despite the challenges

SATH is a very open and approachable organisation to work for, despite government underfunding and historic problems which are inherited by management they do their best to turn every negative into positive learning and actively promote the good work and achievements that happen every single day. It is unfortunate that, as in every organisation, there are staff who do not commit to the "team" and the values of the Trust, these values underpin day-to-day life and in every ward, office, treatment room and corridor you will find someone who is carrying out their work for the love of the job and belief in the organisation. I love SATH, 5 years since moving from another Trust and 13 years in the NHS I plan to be here for quite a few more years to come.

Pros

Staff benefits, flexible working, learning and development opportunities, equality, great canteens and cafes, large supportive network and the appreciation of our patients, their relatives and carers

Cons

Understaffing, ethos of some negative staff, parking

18 February 2019
Thank you for your feedback. It is good to hear you are having a positive experience, and we will also take note of anything you have highlighted in this review.

Forgotten Staff

Having worked in a substantive role, and now on the bank. You are not cared for or managed, you get to know nothing ie what updates are needed to better performance and care, no one cares whether you do even statutory courses let alone any professional development. The web says we will help with your revalidation - no one cared. You book shifts in specific areas that you feel comfortable to work in, then get moved. I've even been left to look after up to 13 patients. It's hard to recruit permanent staff, even on the bank you can be left in charge with agency RNs and HCAs that have never worked in the trust. At times it's very dangerous, you voice your concerns and are totally ignored.

Pros

Plenty of bank shifts

Cons

Poor staffing, frequent moves, on the bank no one cares about you

18 February 2019
We are sorry to hear your experience was not one that you or we would have hoped. Your feedback is important, and something we will look into. Have you contacted our Freedom to Speak Up Guardians? Freedom to Speak Up Guardians act in an independent capacity to support and help drive the Trust to make it a safer place for patients and staff and a more open place to work. They can be contacted on sath.valuesguardian@nhs.net.Alternatively, you can contact the tempory staffing department and speak to them about any concerns you have - ext 2805.

Hard working

The job can be extremely hard work on the wards, at times short staffed and staffed sometimes get moved to other wards due to short staffing leaving our ward short staff and staff under immense pressure and stressed. The job however is a rewarding job seeing your patients get better and knowing you were part of their recovery but environment is very stressful and exhausting and the hours are long, and as said earlier the added stress is when people get moved to other wards leading staff dreading coming to work

Pros

Caring for patients

Cons

Long hours and short staffed

18 February 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write it, and will ensure the details are forwarded on.

Can be a good place - can also be a nightmare.

It very much depends on where you work. I worked in an operational area with the most incredible team. I also worked in a non-operational area with a management team devoid of management and people skills! There is undoubtedly a bullying culture in some areas - if you're one of the favoured few the world's your oyster. If not then God help you. I was subjected to harassment, victimisation, unfair treatment and eventually left SaTH.

Pros

Some lovely people.

Cons

Some very unpleasant and unprofessional people

18 February 2019
Your feedback is important, and something we will look into. We are sorry to hear your experience was not one that you or we would have hoped. We would like to discuss this further with you, please contact the recruitment team on 01743 242402 and they will put you through to someone who can discuss your concerns in more detail.

Mentally and physically gruelling

Very understaffed wards leading to poor care . Staff are run of their feet and the higher ups do not care. Have received lots of abuse of patients families about care of their family members and it really gets you down. Hospital is full of dementia patients. No staff rooms . One toilet between 30 plus employees. Glad I left when I did to work in retail.

28 December 2018
We are sorry to hear your experience was not one that you or we would have hoped. You feedback is important, and something we will look into. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the recruitment team on 01743 242402 and they will put you through to someone who can discuss your concerns in more detail.

Staff Nurse Band 5

Overall a good learning environment- plenty of opportunities for further learning. Too too busy with too few staff , so staff are moved around a lot often at short notice. Places too high demand on staff to ensure staff stay long term More investment in retention of staff and looking after substantive staff would ensure greater stability

Pros

Training and Stability

Cons

Not enough investment in substantive nurses

18 February 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is important and we will feed this back to the relevant teams.

Depending on the department you may be ok...

Fortunately for myself I worked with a good team of people and had a very supportive management structure. The work ethic in my team was fantastic and morale was consistently good. The job itself wasn't the best but I knew what I had signed up for. Unfortunately it's not the case for other departments where you see more management than ground staff, a lot of 'do as I say not as I do' attitude, and supervisors with horrendous people skills. There is a lot of 'if your face fits' that happens here in terms of progression and preferential treatment. To have day to day contact with members of staff and see them slowly being worn down and defeated by management was not a nice experience to say the least. So depending on what department you work in you may have a fantastic experience, on the flip side you may be walking into an area that can knock all confidence out of yourself and wear you down.

Pros

Amazing colleagues

Cons

Some areas of management are horrendous

18 February 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. You feedback is important, and something we will look into. We are sorry to hear your experience was not entirely one we would want you to have. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the recruitment team on 01743 242402 and they will put you through to someone who can discuss your concerns in more detail.

Midwifery

Care for women and their families throughout pregnancy, labour and after birth. Lots of time management and lone working. Use various methods of communication. Love meeting an working with new people, challenging part of the job is limitations within the NHS and staffing issues,

Pros

Meet new people

Cons

NHS limitations

Good time mostly good team worked hard

7.45-6.30 Learned to work hard as a team and on my own Management ? Workplace good culture friendly. Hardest part short staffed , meeting the clients ,

Pros

Pensions

Cons

short staffed

Good Company

A good company to work for that encourages development and ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements. Excellent governance structure lead by an excellent Director.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8