The Skills Network Ltd

The Skills Network Ltd Employee Reviews

Fun work place.

I really enjoyed working at TSN. The staff always try to help if your ever uncertain about certain tasks given. It’s a fast paced environment, they hold charity days at the end of every month & support great causes.

Pros

Canteen! Pool table

Horrible

I worked as a tutor , marking online learners work. The work was impossible to do because they set higher and higher expectations with no extra time or payment. If you do things well they will never ever tell you and if you don’t do it well my word the quality team will be on you like you are worth nothing. Bear in mind that you will never ever be appreciated for the hard work you do. Also bear in mind that they will micromanage you and the people that do this have no people skills whatsoever. I left because of all of this and if you value your time, your integrity and your self esteem AVOID them!! You are so much more than the poxy tutor they think you are.

Pros

No pros whatsoever

Cons

Unreal expectations, rubbish pay and no respect given to you

Awful place to work

Having worked at the skills network for four years, i was glad to never be returning again.Underpaid and overworked!!! I had two managers whilst working here and both were awful to staff and customers

Pros

Cons

Underpaid

Great Pay, Poor Ethics (Digital Trainer)

There is a Wolf of Wall Street culture here, where management talk over one another and show boat, as if they are the most amazing individuals in the world.Often, Trainers will be expected to achieve sales, by way of learners to their program. Many roles are tasked outside of what the actual job description is.Luckily, I was able to work remote and I am happy with this, as the atmosphere reminds me of popularity contests at school - cue Mean Girls.They pay very well, but this is overshadowed by the over-confidence from management and fickle personalities that larger companies become accustomed to.

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Role changes weekly

Poor Senior Management

The staff carrying the business are fantastic and deserve to be paid much more. They are pushed continually to increase productivity, however there are not enough hours in the day to achieve set targets. Senior Management have extremely poor people management skills. Staff are pushed out with bullying tactics if they don't meet targets. There is a total lack of support and an expectation to work very long hours with no recognition of the hard work put in. I would definitely not recommend this company. Steer clear!

Pros

Cons

See above

At the Skills Network, everyone is an individual.

The Skills Network is a fantastic place to work, where each person is encouraged to work to their strengths and aim for success! There is a strong emphasis on adaptation and progression so this is a fantastic place to build your career to where you want to be.

Pros

Excellent Team Spirit

Cons

Low pay

remote no progression

remote working workload fluctuatedmoderation was not consistenttravel to Shelby on a number of occasions did not fit into outside schedule no accommodation for working people

I think the company has lost its way

I think the company has sort of 'lost its way' a little recently. The focus should be upon supporting learners to achieve qualifications relevant to their vocational area and also, as the majority of learners are adults returning to study, respecting the learners' dignity, building up their confidence and enabling them to feel good about themselves and more competent in their vocational areas. However, there is now a strong drive to push the company forward, impress inspectors, gain more contracts and set learners 'targets' that may not be relevant to their level of study or vocation, but which make a superficial impact on paper. In short, the learner centred focus which was one of the most attractive aspects of this company, has been sacrificed for a robust, somewhat autocratic and pedantic styled business model. This is such a shame because vocational/adult education has always had a therapeutic and pastoral element to it. People often return to learning after a negative experience of school. Now, it seems, the company is taking a very school-like approach to assessment and 'tuition' and I fear this will actually have a negative impact on business. Many tutors/assessors have left or have been asked to leave recently. As freelancers, this happens. However, the scale of the exodus suggests that this new way of doing things sits uncomfortably with professionals who have worked with adult learners and in vocational training for years. Management should perhaps step back from thinking about how many contracts they can secure, to focusing a little more on the experience -

It was ok

Work from home job which was nice However they don’t pay well for marking which is extremely time consuming I would put in hours at night alongside main job for additional income and Mark 30 assignments only making 200 not great. Head office is also very far away and this is expected annually no expenses paid

A great way to work

I work as a distance learning tutor. I love working for this company. The support I get is really excellent, and I am provided with every tool I need to carry out my job well. I feel very valued and supported by the team at Selby.

N-a

Worst place I’ve ever worked. You’re over worked and under appreciated. That place of work is very popularity Oriented and if you don’t fit in they’ll push you out.

I enjoyed it the company when I first joined as their was a good team and we had a goal to develop the learners in a safe and stimulating environment. However with a change of management the place went down in my opinion focusing on targets and not the learners. The evidence of this was that most of my team left due to terrible management. You will be looking over your shoulder with regards to the job and the management have no people skills. I do not recommend this company.

Pros

Pay is good

Cons

Mangement need better social skills towards their staff

Unpleasant experience

When I achieved my CAVA qualification around 6 years ago I worked for them as a desk based 0hours tutor. Their expectations about feedbacks for learners were ridiculous. I was pushed to write more and more and criticised by person who was above me in a rude manner. At the end they told me they don't want me to work for them which was relief really.

Pros

Cons

Harsh rude approach, no proper training or guidance, unrealistic expectations

Brilliant place to work

In my time at The Skills Network, I have developed many skills within the realm of sales and Business Development and this is all due to the expertise surrounding and supporting me. The business is continuously growing. Thus, opportunities to facilitate this growth and perform highly are endless, and for those willing to work hard to facilitate this growth, are rewarded generously. For those wanting to progress in their career, opportunities are presented that are challenging but are logical to support your development. For example, I have progressed up the ladder after just 7 months of entering employment. I am surrounded by like-minded individuals who are driven to perform and help the business grow, as they all share the same passion for The Skills Network as a company and the products they offer. I have been supported superbly by the senior management staff. I highly value my career progression, and with my desire being to travel and work globally for a year before settling down, I will be leaving on great terms and I have been told that there is always a job for me within the company, which has provided me with reassurance, security as well as a drive to return to the company. Thank you TSN, I love being a part of this thriving business and I would recommend it to anyone sharing a drive to succeed!

Exciting and innovative

Everyone I've met is super nice and adopts an open door policy! Really sociable place to work. Directors are forward thinking and give you the autonomy to be successful. You get the opportunity to make a difference, every day.

Pros

Staff and benefits

Excellent Place to Work- Never have I ever been more excited to start a new role

I am so happy I made the move to The Skills Network. they are very professorial and make you feel so welcome. I have been given a full training package and made to feel an integral part of the team. The whole daunting prosses of starting somewhere new was completely forgotten by the smooth process by HR for new starters. Having only been here for a short time I have already been commended by one of the owners and been recognized for my work. Super excited to be here and can't wait to see what the future holds.

Productive and enjoyable

Really good, I was only supporting while parents had meetings/training for a couple of hours per day. Was really fun as I set up activities for children and worked alongside one other practitioner.

Pros

Supportive team

Cons

Not enough hours

Poor communication, job security and training

From day one I was made to feel included and part of a team, but this was just my induction. Once put into my role I was left out on a limb with no training or help, passed onto to other trainees or people who did not understand my role. However, I was then told I needed to be faster, better, than other people in the office. When talking to the directors they told me I was doing fab and I would go a long way .... yet 5 minutes of turning up to my 6 month review I was 'let go' saying that the work I had been doing "wasn't my area of expertise". No warning verbal or written .. I was out. I had previously helped out in a different department who said they would have me work with them, yet when I asked to move across, phone calls and emails were ignored. Apart from not being in their party clique, or best friends with the many many heads, leaders, managers etc I did not do anything wrong. Maybe a good place to work if you want a young current vibe, but terrible if your face doesn't fit and you want security

Pros

Young persons environment

Cons

No job security you could be out without warning! Way too many managers/leaders/heads

Poor

I worked as a tutor for their online course and they offered ZERO support and guidance in times of busy and stressful times juggling your own professional day job with that of marking learners work. There was an issue which had been dealt with at the time and when I took a break from marking they gave a very blunt email saying they wouldn't allow me to mark. Given the issue which they referred to had been dealt with months back and still gave me work. I would not work for these cowboys again especially the way they treat their tutors as a commodity with no support and zero contract.

Pros

Extra income

Cons

Employee support, poor communication with tutors

Friendly Environment

Great office environment.Business continuously growing.Job role growth opportunities.Monday - Friday, 9 - 5 HoursOvertime available Great holiday allowance

Friendly

Working from home. You must be organised and willing to take on work short notice. Friendly support staff at the centre. Be prepared to speak to learners over the phone too.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Skills Network Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement