The Wallich

The Wallich Employee Reviews

Having worked for the charity for some years, there is much to commend it but sadly more to condem it, the attitude and dedication of many of the frontline staff is inspiring. Many have personal experience and understand the complexities and subtlety of working with vulnerable people. However there are a minority that are motivated by control and kudos, with service users bullied and manipulated by a handful of these staff. A practice that local management are aware of, who are known to be corrupt , racist and actively bully those who stand up to this culture. Swansea is particularly shocking in this. Senior management suspect and HR continually sideline whistleblowers and force them out with fictious grievances to cover management shortcomings. The Wallich prides itself on employing staff from people with homeless, recovery and mental health experience but if they stand up to bad practice they are bullied to the point of relapse which I have witnessed and experienced time after time. I have heard the new CEO seems very client focussed and understands the complexities hopefully she will weed out the corrupt bullies bringing this fine charity into disrepute.
Pros
The principles of the charity, frontline dedication
Cons
Corruption and management
Poor management. If your face fits all well if not you are bullied and made to feel uncomfortable. Seniors sit and do nothing. Support staff running around all shift. Clients are great but influenced by senior members and management and will let you know everything they have been told. No confidentiality at all. You are in a vipers nest. If you stand up.for yourself you are talked about by staff members to a point of being.bullied. Friends work with friends and you are on your own. All they think about is them selves and not the clients. Lies and deciste from Senior staff
Pros
Clients
Cons
Manager; Seniors
Great work colleagues.All treated fairly. Choice of shift patterns. Career advancement available. On line training, work relatedOn site parking. Pension scheme available and a discount brand scheme
Pros
Different shifts, days or nights
Cons
12 hour shift which can sometimes be tiring
Terrible management, extremely stressful, looks at more statistics than actually supporting client to the full. If your face don't fit then 'you' don't matter, be careful because you'll soon be out. Favouritism is a biggy with management, you're likely to go a long way, this happens with staff and also managers favourite clients to. Don't be fooled by one manager who's the silent terminator. Your opinions do not matter, you maybe truly qualified but it's managers way or the highway. Majority of my office colleagues (who are great) are stressed and looking for a new job. The only reason some are staying is due to covid19 and can work more from home or they happen to be a favourite. The culture of the office is not actually having a lunch break, and if you do then there is no staff room or rest area, you eat by your computer.
Pros
Good holidays, free shipping day at Xmas.
Cons
No actual breaks where you can sit and chat to colleagues, can grab a drink anytime but actual breaks don't exist.
My experiancece of Working at the wallich is it is a Negative working environment you have to watch your backall the time. Also Management never take safeguarding concerns seriously they make a record but that's about it that's why we continusly have recurring Problems. Also Management are not approachable or professional they lack the relavant Life skills and experiences to understand the very vunerable clients we supposedly look after .Also you have to be careful of what you disclose to Management as they like disciplining Staff. The staff are underappreciated and poorly listed to and poorly paid for the stresses of the Job.Also most staff are on temporary Work contracts We lack people orientation skills ie our working environment for clients and staff is poor and not very welcoming that's why we still have a huge homless problem
Pros
Home time
Cons
Long shifts and Night shifts, Poor pay, Temporary Job Contracts, Big ideas no big results.
Positive working environment with safeguarding concerns taken seriously. Management approachable and professional. Staff are appreciated and listened to. Very people orientated working environment - staff and clients.
Pros
Work culture
Cons
Job security due to short term contracts
Trusted to get on with job and make decisions without being micromanaged. Very service user focused, will support anyone regardless of background or if they’ve been in the project before - the door is always open. Community feel about the organisation, you could pick up the phone to anyone at any level. Due to the nature of the sector, contracts are usually fixed term and managers are sometimes spread too thin but work/life balance is strongly encouraged.
Pros
Trust, service user focused
Cons
Job insecurity due to sector/funding
I've had many jobs, in various companies but working for The Wallich is the best I've experienced. Thorough induction into the organisation, everyone across the whole organisation is friendly, welcoming and working towards a common goal. Due to the sector, the pay isn't the highest however the support by colleagues received is fantastic, managers are supportive and encourage professional development. Fantastic annual leave entitlement, lots of access to training and professional development opportunities and flexible working.
Pros
Great team, working with service users, information sharing, management, wellbeing
Challenging but productive place to work good management and great team. Very busy with supporting clients and paperwork. fun environment to work in with friendly staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
12 hour shifts
A two year old could do a better job in HR than those people to be honest. Should be ashamed of themselves! What a disgrace. And a charity?? Ha, they only care about themselves, making sure they are paid a high amount for doing absolutely nothing for staff or clients!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Wallich?
I enjoyed my time volunteering within this company. I decorated and maintained the homes that in the company. I would recommend anyone to work for this company.
Stay away from this company, the management bully people and have no concept of employment law. They have no idea how to investigate or handle a grievance. I witnessed illegal things go on and they should be ashamed of their behaviour. Hopefully the new CEO can kick out some of the useless managers and build some trust and respect back into the company.
Pros
4 on 4 off
Cons
Bad managers.
a fair and relaxed organisation that does have empathy and understanding for its client group. Excellent training opportunities provided. Work days can vary from relaxed to chaotic but this is due to working with vulnerable client groups.
I loved working for them and I think they have a brilliant solution focused ethos. They are supportive and caring and their training is second to none.
Built up my skills whilst on the job, the team are fabulous and professional and are very patient Ideal for building up experience in a great working environment and build up a community element to tackle homelessness
I worked at The Wallich for just over ten years and only left due to a lost contract. I have worked for several housing type charities across my career and The Wallich is by a significant margin the best I have ever worked for. Given the right opportunity I would go back tomorrow. Great organisation.
The Wallich really worked for the community and was all about support for people and care of its staff . It was held in high regard by all other agencies but was swallowed up in a tender battle forcing staff to TUPE across to the inferior GWALIA group who quickly reinvented themselves as Pobl.
As a temporary member of staff the workplace was very welcoming and the staff supportive, Very easy to fit into the culture of the organisation and find your role.
Great environment at ground level; management slightly different. Allows great benefits and good culture to work in - allowed personal development and flexible working.
Some valuable training provided during employment, however not many opportunities to progress within the organisation. Some great management, some not so great.
Best organisation to work for. Always look after their staff and promote a real community spirit. Supporting people to achieve their goals is rewarding and the Wallich empower their staff to be the best they can be
  1. Employee reviews