The Works Stores Ltd

The Works Stores Ltd Employee Reviews

Fun job

Loved my job here lots to do demoing merchandising. Had to leave due to management and also calling to cover their shifts last minute. I do miss the job

Pros

Demo demo demo

Cons

Managment

Even though it's a big business you feel like part of the family. Redcar store where I work is fantastic. Management helpful and friendly training is excellent. No day is the same. Always busy and Redcar store has a lovely atmosphere. Customer Service is our priority, and we always do our very best for every customer.

Pros

Discount

Over worked under layed

The company don't care about the work load you get with no staff in the store. You do long hours and have no life outside. You cant get lunch breaks as there is no staff to cover the shop floor.

Pros

Cons

Long hours. No lunch breaks

All smoke and mirrors.

I honestly wouldn’t recommend working here. At the beginning it was great, however, they lure you in with lies. They don’t care about mental health.

Pros

50% discount at Christmas time. Life long friends with the few genuine staff you can find.

Cons

No working life balance, Higher management don’t care, no support. Training non existent, Throw each other under the bus, Constant gossiping amongst other stores even regarding confidential information

Worst. Workplace. Ever.

I was the assistant manager here from opening day. 2 years in total.I was off sick with depression and anxiety 3 times due to this company, which were not helpful or supportive at all.This store got through 4 supervisors within 18 months..The manager and area mananger are poor and have zero leadership skills. Extremely rude, speak down to you, and will make your life an absolute misery.I feel sorry for the next set of people to be hired as here.

Pros

You got paid...

Cons

Too many to list

Not bad BUT

First of all I really liked my store, I found it an enjoyable and loved every member of staff, very helpful manager who would do her best to accommodate any issues you had or days off you needed. But then the bad sides, the company constantly throwing moves and jobs at you at the last second and calling about missing targets and making you feel like you’re not appreciated. Constant stress has also impacted my mental health which I’m unable to take time off for because I wouldn’t be able to afford my bills due to SSP If I was a normal sales assistant I would have no complaints, as a supervisor though I do not enjoy my job unfortunately

Pros

Great team, enjoyable job for the most part

Cons

Bad upper management, very stressful

Stressful

Company says it listens to staff feedback but doesn't if it's anything negative, constantly moving the shop around for no gain other than to add extra workload onto staff. Pressure to sell something even when the things customers come in for never turn up in the shop.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Over tasking

Stressful and Poor Collaboration

Common practice for teenagers and new staff to be left on tills unsupervised for hours. Minimal training is provided while expectations of knowing what to do remain obscenely high. You will be called and texted at all hours to come in last minute. Please expect rotas to never be done on time and for your personal life to mean very little.

Pros

You get to leave.

Cons

You have to come back.

Worst Job I've Ever Done

Inadequate training. Mainly relies on online programmes. Barely any in-store training. No civilised interaction with other staff members despite repeated attempts to get to know the team. Quick to criticise. Hardly any praise, help or encouragement from others.

Not great

Complete change around within months cut backs on wages,staffing levels far to low.plenty of area managers then regional manager's then director's.saying that more have left I can't believe that it was lovely company to work for and I have never seen so many new people replaced very,very sad.Lets just see how long the company lasts as things not nice at all.I have a new job which I give my notice in tomorrow before it makes me ill.please avoid.

Pros

None in

Cons

Long hour's

Jobs at The Works Stores Ltd

See more jobs

Fun place to work

I have worked for the works for 2 years and it has been the best job I’ve ever had. It’s like a family environment and everyone gets the job done. The only down side is the 4 hour contracts and the pay.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Pay and low contacts

Soul destroying

I was the 4th supervisor at this store in 18 months.. I lasted 5 weeks before giving my notice.The management are poor and have zero leadership skills.I feel sorry for the next person to be hired as supervisor here.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Too many to list

Don’t work here

As a sales assistant you have a contract of no more than 10 hours mines was 4. However, they expect you to work almost full time and the rate of pay is minimum wage not even a living wage. They expect you to move the entire shop about on a monthly basis and there is no respect for those who are not management (even though we are the ones who execute every plan). They treat you like dirt and more often than not you are on the shop floor yourself watching out for the till, working delivery and trying to please every customer. The money really isn’t worth it.

Cons

Not a great office environment

They care about the bottom line of their stock more than caring their staff.Unprofessional office environment, micro-management of professionals, staff treated like school children...awful culture.

Cons

Outdated office culture

1 July 2021
It is sad to hear that you didn't experience the positive culture that we try so hard to distribute throughout the company. We do offer additional support to colleagues that may need this to perform their duties, we do hope this doesn't come across as an outdated approach...especially as we have been working from home for such a long time now.

I absolutely love love my job

I love going to work and The team where I work are lovely. I enjoyed myself so much as a Christmas temp I went back to ask if they had a permanent position. I have no retail experience but my managers have been patient in teaching me product placement, some merchandising, etc, and who knew you could put 100 new books on an already full shelf 😂. This definitely is the best job ever!!!!

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Staff discount (I spend all my wages there)

1 July 2021
What a lovely review....thank you! It is so great to hear when everything comes together to provide such a positive experience. We certainly agree with your pros and cons...!

Bad place to work

Very demanding job from higher up in the company. Not happy if you don't meet specific targets and won't accept weather or footfall as a reason as to why targets aren't met. Unfortunately my area manager seemed to have a dislike to everyone unless you were a brown nose. Myself and others could never do right but would never actually tell me to my face any problems said area manager had with me but would tell others to tell me. My store manager felt so awkward at having to discuss said issues as there wasn't actually any issue it was just pettiness. Glad I'm now not working there.

Pros

25% discount

Cons

Demanding you work overtime, never happy with anything you do.

1 July 2021
Working in retail can be very demanding at times, but it does sound like you didn't have a positive experience for which we are sorry.

To be avoided

Never having worked in retail, I thought that this was how all companies rolled, and my admiration for my fellow retail workers grew in leaps and bounds, particularly during the COVID pandemic. Contracts are the legal minimum. There is no guarantee of additional hours, with the majority of stores running in skeleton staff even during busy periods. This was not just in my own store, but also observed elsewhere. Salaried staff are not paid overtime, but it is a challenge to accomplish all the tasks when one has to leave one colleague sole trading on the shop floor. Staff are too scared to criticise as majority needs the job.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Too many

1 July 2021
COVID has been such a demanding time for all companies, The Works included. As I am sure you can understand, to be able to keep almost 4000 employees in secure employment some measures had to be made to how we run stores. Especially given that with COVID, we are always going to see a higher than normal level of absence with colleagues displaying symptoms or having to isolate.

Stressful

I worked there for 7 years and I didn't have any opportunity to progress and hours were dropped to the point where you couldn't live comfortably at all. The pressure to sign up to the loyalty card and up sell stock that people didn't want anymore was unbelievable as they opened more stores

Pros

50% some stock for Christmas

Cons

I made good friends

1 July 2021
Thank you for your review....we are surprised to hear that after 7 years you never had the opportunity to progress. We have official company progression programmes with I Can Be, which helps colleagues learn new skills to progress within the company. Over the last 2 years, we have promoted hundreds of our retail colleagues both within their own stores or new stores.

Decent place to work

Was only there for a few months, i really enjoyed it, but unfortunately had to leave because of covid, can be very busy at times, but great staff and management.

Work place

A typical day at the works will be working on the tills cleaning up stock on the shop floor cleaning and handling delivery, mangement is good when you have concerns other then that if you want more hours it will be hard the workplace culture is hard very hit or miss the hardest part of the job is the customers when they shout at you and telling your doing your job wrong the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing customers happy

Pros

hour long lunch break

Cons

Not enough hours and bad pay

They will drain you

Really bad company to work for. They do not care for their employees unless you are SLT. The pay is awful with no benefits apart from 50% off at Christmas. Getting paid right was always an issue. Taking holiday was an issue. Unrealistic expectations with deliveries/tasks. You might be lucky to get a decent manager though with real human feelings. It makes it slightly more bearable.

Pros

50% off at Christmas.

Cons

All of the above.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Works Stores Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare The Works Stores Ltd with

• The Works Stores Ltd
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?