The Works Stores Ltd

The Works Stores Ltd Employee Reviews

The works involved mostly Serving on the till putting out deliveries and ensuring everything is displayed correctly. I learned a lot about customer service and training was really good and I felt I was eased into my role really well (a great job if you have no experience). I would say the hardest part of the job was my hours changing and at least 3 times in my 4 years there my hours were changed and we were told that our store was closing down. Because of this, I ended up getting a second job. The best part of the job for me was our regular customers and helping customers who were compared with other stores generally really nice and appreciative.
Pros
Good atmosphere most of the time
Cons
hours change alot
Made to feel part of the team from day one, 3 weeks training in another store which was great, got to visit head office and meet everyone involved 5 star treatment
Pros
Great Head office Team
Cons
Won’t get blown away by the pay
The Works are a terrible company to work for the work load is impossible constant deliveries on top of trying to serve customers with little staff so they save money. They don't value their staff and don't praise them. You don't get paid to set up tills or cash up job totally takes over your life and most area managers have an attitude problem. The constant sales rising prices and then decreasing them of stock is a joke too
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Long hours, low pay, high work load not appreciated
Working for The Works has truly been the best job ever. Being paid to have fun and demo products, where else can you find that? The teams in store are incredibe, the management from store managers to CEO and everyone in between are friendly and approachable and there is always someone on the end of the phone to help with a problem. It is sometimes difficult and there is lots of deliveries and constant moving tables/displays to fit products out but you have a lot of free reign to merchandise in whichever way you want. It's fun, challenging and rewarding and I wouldn't swap it for the world. The development and advancement is great, you can always learn something new.
Pros
25% employee discount, bonus discount at Christmas, competitive pay, great company to work for
Cons
Lots of delivery at peak times as with all retail
I like to work in the works store it's a amazing place to work very nice and friendly environment very supportive colleagues amazing manager very good
I was taken on as a Christmas temp in a relatively busy store. My time there was absolutely amazing and even though it was short I still loved every single minute of it. It can sometimes be a nice mix of busy and quiet or very busy depending on what store you work in and what days you work.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Ask for the world give nothing in return work you to the bone and then hang you out to dry no support no encouragement bad management as they only want to look good on paper for their bonus and not give a bleep about the managers or below
Very good company to work for as has amazing benefits and some of the most loveliest people to work with, really a welcoming friendly company and so enjoyable to work there.
Pros
Amazing discount, amazing staff
-low contracted hours -unpaid breaks-low holiday allowance; they also take holiday away from you -too much tasking, no customer focus-no care for staff wellbeing-low pay -no cctv to protect staff -little training -no praise -unprofessional management
Pros
25% discount
Cons
All about the money
Always made sure hours were suitable against college timetable , and was willing to change if necessary. Staff were amazing honestly , and management were so approachable which is rare nowadays and they actually care about your well-being. Really nice environment to work in no matter what characteristics you have either shy or outgoing they’ll make sure you fit in . As long as you get the job done when it needs to be there won’t be any issues really. Had high work morale when working there because the management and supervisor didn’t put pressure on , they actually helped if you needed it and were the right balance of strict and lenient . Honestly can’t fault it , nicest people I’ve worked with still to date.
Pros
Discount, friendly management, working hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Works Stores Ltd?
The job itself is easy but signing up customers to loyalty cards is a massive pain as management demands high numbers and won't accept any low results. This place is definitely the worst for this problem, other stores I went to didn't push as hard. Manager there is absolutely awful and will try to get you to quit if she doesn't like you. Daily tasks were pricing and tilling. Only difficult during summer and Xmas.
Pros
Plenty to do
Cons
Management, loyalty cards
I worked for this company for 5 years yet aged 15, at manager level you are basically a shelf stacker tasked with completing endless pallets of stock which is mostly stuff I wouldn't sell at a car boot sale for 50p. Opening store, greeting customers, till work, Merchandising, cleaning, staff training, staff coaching, rotas, stock management, you name it your responsible for it and then equally responsible for not hitting ridiculous targets that your store won't hit as most people realise the products this company sell just aren't good enough.
Pros
Hour unpaid luch
Cons
Pay not reflective of work carried out.
I worked for the Works in Haverhill. It’s a really good first job to have, lovely bosses and they help you to succeed. Lovely place. Make you feel welcome.
Pros
Good staff area
Cons
I can not fault anything
This is a company going forward which is hugely important in the retail sector these days.This is a demanding job as you have many KPI's that not only are the store monitored on but the individual too.Merchandising is key and a focus on customer interaction is important. It's great fun though as you actively feel you are part of the reason for any success.You learn a lot from a great team and if you apply yourself correctly can move up.
the Works is a place that values its staff. Last year voted one of the top 25 companies to work for in the Times annual list. This is based on independent staff reviews with an anonymous questionnaire. Every day really is a different challenge and such camaraderie between stores
Pros
varied work. Good career progression exxellent training
Cons
always setting new sales targets that are impossible to reach, higher management don't set realisotic goals, caises store managmwnt alot of stress. Low contracted hours, expected to work chriatmas eve and boxing day. Not good if you have family/children.
Pros
slivhtly abouve average wages.
Cons
Low contract hours, stressful
My work was very nice I loved it so much it was basically arranging stuff sorting out things n also helping the fellow members of the company I also worked kn the tills.I am a fast learner n pick up things quickly. The work place was very friendly n appreciating. Overall it was a good experience.
After managment change a few years back things started to go south bound, staff is unprofessionally treated by managers who have no idea how to manage and warehouse staff is ignored all together although the office and warehouse is at the same location. Favouritism is on a level that is almost unbelievable, people who go out with managers for a drink are valued more than those who actually get the job done.
Pros
No pros since managment change
Cons
Unprofessional management
I had to work for free as job centre sent me on work experience but it was a good little job. Got offered a job but couldn’t take it as it was near Christmas and there was no bus home at eleven at night.Because I was work experience I was not allowed to use the till but used the ticket machine mark downs etc where you have say ten books and print off a reduced price ticket for these books.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks
I really enjoyed working at The Works in Swaffam, the colleagues and management were so friendly and easy to get along with. Would definitely recommend
Pros
staff
Cons
I was a supervisor for the works for around three months. I think it would be the worst job I have ever had. I have over 5 years experience working in retail and none of them were as bad as The Works. First of all you cannot have a social life as they do the rota`s the week before but even then they change your hours last minute. Even though they said on my interview that it was supposed to be 4 weeks in advance. Secondly they put so much pressure on you and give you unrealistic targets but the problem is that if its busy store you dont have time as your always talking to customers. If you ignore customers and get on with doing a display then you get told of for creating ques but if you end up spending most of your time talking and helping cusomers ( which is good customer service) you get in trouble for not finishing your tasks. They gave very little training but then complained if you didnt know everything about the job within the first few weeks. The managment was horrible and gave no positive encouragment only negativety. My manager would even moan to me about other members of staff an it would really bring my mood down, but then I would find out she has then gone and talked about me behind my back. The area manager would only ring if sales were down and make it seem like ti was your fault. Even on my last day the area manager asked why sales are down but not once acknolegded that I was leaving the company or even said thank you. Finally I even got shouted at and told that I did a really bad job in front of customers and within ea shot of sales assistants which - more...
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Rota always changing, Poor managment, unrealistic targets, poor training and no encouragment