The Works Stores Ltd

The Works Stores Ltd Employee Reviews

They didn’t really know how to handle ones mental health and pushed it to the sideHours are all over the placeManagement is shocking (depending who is managing)A lot of ‘bitchiness’Overall somewhere that you shouldn’t work
Pros
25% staff discount
Cons
No sympathy towards people who are struggling
A typical day at the works will be working on the tills cleaning up stock on the shop floor cleaning and handling delivery, mangement is good when you have concerns other then that if you want more hours it will be hard the workplace culture is hard very hit or miss the hardest part of the job is the customers when they shout at you and telling your doing your job wrong the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing customers happy
Pros
hour long lunch break
Cons
Not enough hours and bad pay
Really bad company to work for. They do not care for their employees unless you are SLT. The pay is awful with no benefits apart from 50% off at Christmas. Getting paid right was always an issue. Taking holiday was an issue. Unrealistic expectations with deliveries/tasks. You might be lucky to get a decent manager though with real human feelings. It makes it slightly more bearable.
Pros
50% off at Christmas.
Cons
All of the above.
Kind loving company who care over there staff great managers area managers great big bosses who always there for there staff like a big family thank you
Pros
Discount
Cons
Fun place to work, always demo to do playing whilst at work busy location never bored always something to do.
I worked as a Supervisor at my local branch and I loved the customer's, as they were all so unique and a joy to serve. That's where the positives end. The managers and higher had no care to the lesser staff and overworked you only for their praise and gain. As a supervisor I was not once acknowledged by higher management that I did a good job or anything of the like, even though I worked my butt off working massively long hours. All in all, the job is ok, but the company is a whole different story.
Pros
Fun products and customers
Cons
Higher management, the company itself and being hugely overworked for no gain
Great place to work, most of the time you are not treated like a number but as an actual person, head office always communicate and engage with the employees, such as running competitions between shops, areas etc, they always let us know what’s happening and how the company is doing, some targets are impossible and my manager doesn’t get paid as much as she should for what she does.
Pros
Decent pay, easy job
Cons
Can be repetitive
Made to feel part of the team from day one, 3 weeks training in another store which was great, got to visit head office and meet everyone involved 5 star treatment
Pros
Great Head office Team
Cons
Won’t get blown away by the pay
The Works are a terrible company to work for the work load is impossible constant deliveries on top of trying to serve customers with little staff so they save money. They don't value their staff and don't praise them. You don't get paid to set up tills or cash up job totally takes over your life and most area managers have an attitude problem. The constant sales rising prices and then decreasing them of stock is a joke too
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Long hours, low pay, high work load not appreciated
Working for The Works has truly been the best job ever. Being paid to have fun and demo products, where else can you find that? The teams in store are incredibe, the management from store managers to CEO and everyone in between are friendly and approachable and there is always someone on the end of the phone to help with a problem. It is sometimes difficult and there is lots of deliveries and constant moving tables/displays to fit products out but you have a lot of free reign to merchandise in whichever way you want. It's fun, challenging and rewarding and I wouldn't swap it for the world. The development and advancement is great, you can always learn something new.
Pros
25% employee discount, bonus discount at Christmas, competitive pay, great company to work for
Cons
Lots of delivery at peak times as with all retail
I like to work in the works store it's a amazing place to work very nice and friendly environment very supportive colleagues amazing manager very good
The works involved mostly Serving on the till putting out deliveries and ensuring everything is displayed correctly. I learned a lot about customer service and training was really good and I felt I was eased into my role really well (a great job if you have no experience). I would say the hardest part of the job was my hours changing and at least 3 times in my 4 years there my hours were changed and we were told that our store was closing down. Because of this, I ended up getting a second job. The best part of the job for me was our regular customers and helping customers who were compared with other stores generally really nice and appreciative.
Pros
Good atmosphere most of the time
Cons
hours change alot
I was taken on as a Christmas temp in a relatively busy store. My time there was absolutely amazing and even though it was short I still loved every single minute of it. It can sometimes be a nice mix of busy and quiet or very busy depending on what store you work in and what days you work.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Ask for the world give nothing in return work you to the bone and then hang you out to dry no support no encouragement bad management as they only want to look good on paper for their bonus and not give a bleep about the managers or below
Very good company to work for as has amazing benefits and some of the most loveliest people to work with, really a welcoming friendly company and so enjoyable to work there.
Pros
Amazing discount, amazing staff
-low contracted hours -unpaid breaks-low holiday allowance; they also take holiday away from you -too much tasking, no customer focus-no care for staff wellbeing-low pay -no cctv to protect staff -little training -no praise -unprofessional management
Pros
25% discount
Cons
All about the money
Always made sure hours were suitable against college timetable , and was willing to change if necessary. Staff were amazing honestly , and management were so approachable which is rare nowadays and they actually care about your well-being. Really nice environment to work in no matter what characteristics you have either shy or outgoing they’ll make sure you fit in . As long as you get the job done when it needs to be there won’t be any issues really. Had high work morale when working there because the management and supervisor didn’t put pressure on , they actually helped if you needed it and were the right balance of strict and lenient . Honestly can’t fault it , nicest people I’ve worked with still to date.
Pros
Discount, friendly management, working hours
The job itself is easy but signing up customers to loyalty cards is a massive pain as management demands high numbers and won't accept any low results. This place is definitely the worst for this problem, other stores I went to didn't push as hard. Manager there is absolutely awful and will try to get you to quit if she doesn't like you. Daily tasks were pricing and tilling. Only difficult during summer and Xmas.
Pros
Plenty to do
Cons
Management, loyalty cards
I worked for this company for 5 years yet aged 15, at manager level you are basically a shelf stacker tasked with completing endless pallets of stock which is mostly stuff I wouldn't sell at a car boot sale for 50p. Opening store, greeting customers, till work, Merchandising, cleaning, staff training, staff coaching, rotas, stock management, you name it your responsible for it and then equally responsible for not hitting ridiculous targets that your store won't hit as most people realise the products this company sell just aren't good enough.
Pros
Hour unpaid luch
Cons
Pay not reflective of work carried out.
I worked for the Works in Haverhill. It’s a really good first job to have, lovely bosses and they help you to succeed. Lovely place. Make you feel welcome.
Pros
Good staff area
Cons
I can not fault anything
This is a company going forward which is hugely important in the retail sector these days.This is a demanding job as you have many KPI's that not only are the store monitored on but the individual too.Merchandising is key and a focus on customer interaction is important. It's great fun though as you actively feel you are part of the reason for any success.You learn a lot from a great team and if you apply yourself correctly can move up.