The Yorkshire Soap Company

The Yorkshire Soap Company Employee Reviews

shopproductcustomermanagerstafflotworkingcompany

Beautiful shop

I worked here many years a go. I learnt a lot while there and absolutely loved the products and my colleagues. The York shop is beautiful. The business owners are very dedicated to their work. The shop manager was very supportive and was always willing to teach and train us.

Pros

Beautiful products, beautiful setting, lovely shop management

Cons

Sometimes stressful during busy periods.

I have really liked working at the shop. I like the lovely products and o like the people I work with.

Really nice company, got Christmas card and chocolate advent calender from the directors. I also got some nice soaps when i started. It’s really busy and I have learnt loads since I started. I really feel like i have been working hard but that my manager, the head of retail and the owners have been really nice, and I have always felt appreciated. The money could be better but it’s really fun and nice to work somewhere like this company.

Pros

Nice soaps and gifts. Lots of thanks for hard work.

Cons

Lower hourly rate than other places but hours are good and I like it.

Insights into The Yorkshire Soap Company

Areas for improvement
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Friendly, fast-paced environment, great place to work

I worked at The Yorkshire Soap company for two years and have just left for university. It’s the best job I’ve had. It’s a fast-paced environment, especially at Christmas, which means there’s always something to do, making the days fly by. Management made the job very enjoyable by creating a friendly and uplifting atmosphere so that staff feel comfortable and part of a close knit team. The staff members are all lovely and work well together to provide the best customer experience, combining skills to satisfy every need of everyone who enters the store. The store itself is an amazing place to work. It’s absolutely gorgeous and the products are amazing. Everything is constantly being cleaned so that both staff and customers feel safe, especially throughout the pandemic. The stock rooms and cupboards are always kept organised so that replenishment is quick and stress-free for staff. Overall I cannot fault the company, I’ve loved working in such a fantastic store.

Pros

Management and staff, beautiful and organised store, staff discount

Cons

Lovely shops but poor manager

the shops are really something with lots of bright colours and customers are always happy to come in and talk about what an effort we make to keep them looking so pretty which is the favourite part of my job by far! especially when other shop staff in other big companies just have boring displays everywhere.I have learned a lot here about how to provide better service to customers that sometimes travel to come to us and also how to make displays always look good.The really big issue here is the store managers as sometimes they don't really know what is going on or how to deal with simple problems which then becomes a bigger problem. Both of the owners are really nice but the shop managers dont really make things easier or better. other previous shop staff have said there have been issues with the shop and other managers so hopefully this will get better soon as it would have given it more stars if this was done.

Pros

nice shops, nice customers, something different, not part of a big chain

Cons

bad managers

Busy and no direction

I liked my job at yorkshire soap and the soap factory/store vibe is usually quite good, more recently there has been a lot of pressure and long term the they need to figure out what they want to do.The customers are really nice and the products are beautiful, the hardest part of the job is working with some of the senior managers who lack direction and seem to want to do whatever is easiest for them, they seem to lack any real management experience, and often have to be told what to do.I would not recommend this place at the moment but think it would be great if the right people were at the top to support the stores

Pros

products, smell great, nice shops

Cons

other managers, hard work

interactive, positive, fun and busy

Positive fast up beat place to work in. The staff and managers are so lovely. Best job I have ever had. I have learnt so much about customer service and how to work as a team in a busy environment.

Pros

good pay and good hours

Cons

long hours but they are worth it

Its a really lovely place to work

My co-workers have always been lovely to work with, its a really warm and welcoming environment to work in and its not difficult to become passionate about the products and start a collection for yourself (like I have... especially the candles). The pay is really good especially for young people, and although the full day shifts are tiring you always leave smelling great and having helped a lot of people which is a wonderful feeling. The only drawback for me is the limited hours, I'd love to work there more :)

Productive fun workplace

A lovely team to work for with a friendly work place. Within the role you must learn product knowledge to ensure excellent customer service. The most enjoyable part of the role is the team.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Quiet

Lovely and aesthetically pleasing workplace

I enjoy the whole aesthetic of the workplace and how sweet the environment /the benefits of discount and pay is quite good. However, hours are so bad!

I have been with the company a little while now and am really enjoying my job. My manager is flexible and interested in you if you have an issue she is more than happy to try and help in any way she can. Marcus and Warren are both very approachable and again happy to help if they can. I started as a key holder and have recently been made an assistant manager. The company want there staff to progress and grow and are happy to help you achieve this.

Pros

Lovely product, gift bag when you start, you go home smelling amazing.

Cons

None i can think of.

Lovely people and place

I started here a while ago and have been promoted to a more seniour position recently. the company seems to really care about the staff and i feel very happy, we have had a few staff members who have left recently but this was more from them not being right in the first place, negative and not wanting to work in a shop anyway. the people I work with now are lovely and happy. it can be a bit quiet mid week but the weekends are super busy and its good fun. the customers are really nice and really like the shop and products which makes it an easy place to work.

Pros

nice products and free stock

Cons

not much training, would like more and you have to make things up a but to get the jobs done

Mentally and physically draining

Sometimes I got to work 14 days straight 9 hours a day with an hour break, I had to travel in between stores which ended up with me loosing out on my lunch, due to me getting sternly told off if I took my lunch without the travel time of 20-25 minutes included. Smug comments where made, working horrible hours, dress-code was a bit sexist, dress for women, hair up, high heels or flats, and red lipstick was a must. men had sturdy shoes, and a suit on. We all got given our outfits, except for shoes (and extra for women, lipstick). During the end of winter the department decided that women now had to wear the mens outfit + lipstick and high heels/flats. But all women had to buy this outfit themselves due to the dress that got given as the outfit that was now not allowed to be worn. Management was quite horrible, alot of the times I could have the shop floor with the manager sitting downstairs for hours, I was not even able to take a toilet break or have a glass of water. When I really needed to go it took around 20 minutes before I could. and sometimes I went down just to get something from the back, the person in thought would just sit there in it's phone and when noticing me it quickly putting it away saying I'm just sending some things to (insert store and name here). Everyone got told that you need to be standing up all the time (that would be all the 8 hours) and look busy, tilt soaps, clean... mostly go around the shop and tilt stuff. If a costumer came in, ofcourse say hello and ask if they need help. thats fine. give them some time and then go back and see how they -

Cons

Sexist Dress-code, Inhumane managers, long hours, Avoid

great christmas job

have had a blast working at thiss shop, really loved the people and the job. so busy but got loads of soaps and saved money with my discount. was busy and there wasnt much time to learn things but the other team members helped and the customers were really nice, lots of regular people whi knew what they wanted.

Pros

great smells and good hours

Cons

not permanent

Bad management

Ive learnt that in this business the only way to climb up the ladder is being the supervisor or bosses best friend, which I'm not gain for. The staff get ripped on for not wearing their hat or button up their jacket for less than a second but the supervisor's just walk around scott free. They even pop out for an hour and arrive back in the warehouse caked full of make up and hair done up. Yes, this is during working hours. not lunch or break. Also the supervisor was caught "vaping" in the staff girls toilets by one of our staff which her pal gladly stood around with her. the supervisor does no work, (i don't know if she knows this be we could see her through the window doing her make up and hair), doesn't help with clean down and is aloud to stand around and have a laugh with her favorite colleague but the rest of us have to "work and talk". It really is unfortunate that the bosses are hardly in at headquarters to see this happening because i can't see this company lasting long with all the staff leaving because of the supervisors lazy and terrible attitude.

Pros

fun staff

Cons

paid in peanuts and managment

Official response from The Yorkshire Soap Company

9 October 2018
Thank you for your recent review. I would like to address some the observations and points made in your review.To get ahead in my company you have to be a team player, work hard, add value and get results, being best friends does not come into the business equation: great team members and colleagues with great work ethics gets you noticed and supports your climb on the company ladder, It has nothing to do with personal relationships.Uniform: As a manufacturing and retailing company we expect the teams working close to or near the products wear protective clothing, the hats, hair nets, aprons etc form part of that protection and uniform and all team members working directly next to the products being made or wrapped must wear them, which is why, when you were not, it was addressed with you directly. The warehouse and kitchen supervisors do, from time to time dip in and out of the manufacturing areas to work in their offices on their management paperwork, which can cause forgetfulness at times, they are more than aware of consistency and are always striving to ensure they too follow the kitchen and warehouse rules when working in the environment, this is and will always be a constant management process and something all team members work together on daily and weekly - however no one is personally "ripped" for genuine mistakes and forgetfulness. Management: The supervisors do not walk around "scott free" as suggested, they have a challenging job ensuring the management of the team, the products, the deliveries and the day to day is being supervised and performed well -

Fun and comfortable work place

One thing to know about working at this company was that the rest of the team did feel like a second family. Everyone was so kind and inviting and made it their job to make sure everyone felt at home within the company.

Pros

warm and inviting team

Just started and I love it!

Just started as a part timer working 16 hours per week. I have to say I love it, the customers and products are wonderful and I could not be enjoying it more. It’s such a nice place to work and everyone really cares and looked after me. I am learning lots and really enjoying my time here, I want to do more hours so here’s hoping!

Pros

Lovely friends and team members, caring company and managers

Cons

I want more hours.

a soap paradise

A fab place to work, everone is wonderful and the products are amazing. Everyone really cares and the customers are so loyal. i have worked in a couple of the shops and i love them both.

Pros

go home glittery and smelling lush

Cons

pay is just above minimum

Nice shops and good team

I worked here for a number of months before re-locating and thoroughly enjoyed it. The work is hard and the days can be busy but on the whole a charming and delightful time was had. I only left as my family moved away, otherwise I would have stayed .

Pros

lovely smelly products

Cons

Busy

Beautiful, fun and charasmatic place to work

Worked for this company for over four years, throughout the festive periods, alongside throughout the year towards the end of my term with them. The owners, managers and supervisors genuinely care, and create an amazing atmosphere to work within. I was constantly learning new skills, and developing professionally, which has left me in good stead to find future work. I couldn't recommend working for them enough.

Pros

Great environment, continual learning, lovely customers

happy and comfortable

I loved my time at the company. I worked at the York store for a few years but left to pursue other things after leaving university. Both the owners treated me really well and my manager was lovely, we are still in contact although she too has left the company now as well. I cannot say anything bad about my time there and am very surprised to see such nasty remarks about warren, marcus ad the people I liked working with so much.

Pros

lovely people, nice products

Cons

non

Dont do it

What can i say dont know what to say the only good reviews that have been written have been by managers so thats something to think about .micky mouse company with no respect for employers .

Pros

Cons

Nice customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Yorkshire Soap Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement