thebigword

thebigword Employee Reviews

United Kingdom38 reviews

companypayworkinggoodmanagementjobworktime

Productive and relaxing

An okayish place to work, however the salary given is below the average salary band in the project management field.Managers and staff working here all get along well.

AVOID if you are a linguist

a typical day means you spend disproportionate amount of time checking every single stage of a job - ringing in to ask whether the essential details are correct, every time double checking the forms are uploaded and being processed, moved from one stage of invoicing to another and enquiring about randomly assigned invoicing dates, ringing and emailing in every time they conveniently forget to invoice you a cancellation fee; emailing and ringing in every time your assignment might disappear from portals/app. An absolute disgrace. what I learnt is that if you are good at shifting responsibility you will get a job in TBW anytime anywhere, if you are not fluent in English you can work for helpdesk, and if you are absolutely desperate you can always work as TBW linguist. The management is unreachable, the workplace culture is non-existent, the hardest part of the job is the knowledge that you have to travel over 100 miles to a job to get paid an acceptable amount on travel still knowing you will get paid peanuts for the actual linguistic expertise you provide (interpreting time); not knowing what the job is about before you accept it (sometimes not even after you accept it) and the most enjoyable part of the job is the knowledge that there are plenty of logistics and driving jobs out there you can grab any time and earn a lot more without running your own car to the ground.

Insights into thebigword

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

I was bullied there. The pay was terrible. Management didn't care about the people at all only the money.

A very stressful environment. Expected you to work long hours for a very low salary. I felt sorry for the translators as they tried to cut their rates. I was bullied but management seemed to encourage it rather than stop it from happening.

Pros

I enjoyed working with the translators Friendly team members but managers were awful

Cons

Long Hours Bad Management Low Pay Stressful Environment

Fluid balance of flexibility and good working environment plus professional rapport.

Love the flexibility with Thebigword. Transportation sometimes could be a bit tricky in London. And takes long time while on hold to let them know you gonna be late for work.Easyly recognise the traffic problems.You could cancel a gig if you have a serious reason and do it well in advance.They don't pay travel time though.Over the course of more than 12 years with Thebigword I received several options for upgrading my skills through their dedicated support channels.The company has grown and now is perhaps the biggest interpreting services provider in the UK.The very few problems in regards to invoicing issues had been dealt with in a prompt and a professional manner.Culturally, sometimes I have been facing some problems with clarification and misunderstanding (i.e. clients of mine refusing to comply with Thebigword strict confidentiality code). Hence disputes of those kinds could be lengthy.

Pros

Flexibility, professionalism, prompt response

Cons

Disputes could be lengthy

Not cooperating and unwilling to help resolve issues.

The staff is very slow at responding to complaints and queries. Very slow- paced working environment. Not very organised and hierarchy not very clear.

Great business to place your career

I started with thebigword in 2011 and since then I've had lots of progression opportunities. If you're looking for a fast-paced and exciting business to learn and grow, look no further.

Pros

Virtual working, career progression opportunities

Cons

Hectic but rewarding work

Hired through agency taken on perm. Bad middle management

promotion only given to candidates that were friendly with the boss/ senior team leaders. Blame culture and very disjointed work ethic. Lots of people in positions that they are not able to carry out and have no experience, therefore this is passed down to lower skilled staff. Wages are also very low compared to other companies.

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Low wage, bad management

Awful company, no support at all!

I have been with the big word for at least 12 years. It has gone from being a good company to work for to the most awful one. There is absolutely no support for the linguist. Emails or complaints get ignored on a daily basis. Any message you send off will never get responded to.Shocking attitude, the worst of the worst!

Pros

Cons

everything

Horrible place to work

They treat linguist very badly , no protection whatsoever , pay below minimum wage, 5min break per hour which is to short to take that,s unbelievable, a lot of pressure, stress the lack of respect for your time, they don,t pay for making your invoices if you too late they not pay, if you are booking the work taking usually 30 min to book each Sunday and they don't pay for that time either.I did asked them many times to change it to a week day but they never listen!

Stressful work, inflexible staff, unprofessional attitude

I like my job as an interpreter and I have worked with this company for a while but it is getting worse with the time. The staff is very difficult to get in touch with and deal with. The operators on the phone (if they ever pick up the phone) are unprofessional and unhelpful; their aim is just to allocate the jobs and not to listen to interpreter's requirements. Dealing with them via email is equally difficult. It takes them a week to answer your request and most of the times it is urgent to be sorted out immediately. The portal where we accept the jobs is far from perfect. I have been trying to comment on some of the issues but they haven't been resolved at all. As a whole it is stressful to work with them because there is lack of coordination between the members of the staff and between thebigword and listing offices in court. As a result of this a lot of double bookings occur which is frustrating for the interpreters. Travel costs are not covered accordingly.

Pros

Flexible working hours for freelancers; payment on time

Cons

Unprofessional attitude, inflexible communication, lack of coordination, difficult communication via phone or email, unhelpful operators/administration

Very friendly

At thebigword you can meet very friendly and helpful teams. It's a great opportunity to gain your skills specially for a beginners in administrative role.

Management is helpless and unprofessional

Management is the worst...they are fake ans show favoritism. HR is even worst...they do not really care about the employees. I had to get a therapist in order to cop.

Review

Amazing company to work for but pay Was not great, I believe it has increased since I’ve left the company. Apart from that no complaints with the company.

Ridiculous

Would never work for these again, HR doesn’t know how to pay your wages accordingly.(they pay you then take it off you without reason) The interpreters don’t get paid either Avoid at all costs, they are better jobs out there that pays a lot better

A Profit Oriented Workplace

There was a great balance between work and family life and great communication with the HR team; useful benefits. Although there was some kind of compulsory training, it was usually irrelevant to me as an interpreter; or it was very basic. I really wanted to develop in my role but it was not possible. Although the company would be willing to let me go for an external training, they weren't able to sponsor the training for me. The hourly wage was very close to the national minimum wage, so I could not afford the training. I was working really hard to achieve our KPIs but I had just a very small pay rise during my 6 years with them and I felt undervalued. There was an amazing range of clients. Apart from interpreting for government institutions, I often interpreted for vulnerable clients, e.g. victims of trafficking, social services, people with mental issues and I would love to have someone to talk to about gloomy situations we were listening to for most parts of our working days but the support was limited and very difficult to get access to. I was made redundant during my maternity leave, together with the rest of my team.

Awful company to deal with

They keep you waiting for ages to answer your calls and all that while a recorded message states that "your call is important to us, please continue to hold and we will answer your call shortly" which will infuriate one even more. While I am writing this I have been waiting for 50 minutes to answer. We need to call them because the id number of their text messages is not recognised

Good work-life balance and salary, but minimal job security with virtually no career progress

Pros

Paid travel, flexible work

Cons

Not enough hours, some bookings only guaranteed 1 hour pay with their booked duration being longer, progress is

a great place to progress in career

Good for beginners, a lot to learn from them. Good like minded people, Knowledge share, good team members, personality development , talent acquisition.

Pros

lots of workshops

Good company but poor management

The company is great to work for in many number of ways, but the downside to working there is that the management will pass their own errors and faults on to you.

Pros

Relaxed enviroment

Cons

No real training provided

Poor company

Avoid at all costs. Worst company to work for that I’ve experienced. Their are better jobs out this so don’t even bother working for thebigword. Very poor company.

Great Boot Camp

The company is great as an opportunity to start your career. The environment is open, supportive, and easy-going. Teams usually are marvellous and everyone shares skills and experiences. The management is not so great, making the organisation an excellent stepping stone in your career, but not a place you stay at long-term, as evidenced by the legendary levels of churn.

Pros

Great opportunity, great challenge

Cons

exponentially growing expectations with little to no wage progression

Ask a question about working or interviewing at thebigword. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare thebigword with

• thebigword
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?