thebigword logo
thebigword

thebigword Employee Reviews for Interpreter

Work-life balance

A Profit Oriented Workplace

There was a great balance between work and family life and great communication with the HR team; useful benefits. Although there was some kind of compulsory training, it was usually irrelevant to me as an interpreter; or it was very basic. I really wanted to develop in my role but it was not possible. Although the company would be willing to let me go for an external training, they weren't able to sponsor the training for me. The hourly wage was very close to the national minimum wage, so I could not afford the training. I was working really hard to achieve our KPIs but I had just a very small pay rise during my 6 years with them and I felt undervalued. There was an amazing range of clients. Apart from interpreting for government institutions, I often interpreted for vulnerable clients, e.g. victims of trafficking, social services, people with mental issues and I would love to have someone to talk to about gloomy situations we were listening to for most parts of our working days but the support was limited and very difficult to get access to. I was made redundant during my maternity leave, together with the rest of my team.

Horrible place to work

They treat linguist very badly , no protection whatsoever , pay below minimum wage, 5min break per hour which is to short to take that,s unbelievable, a lot of pressure, stress the lack of respect for your time, they don,t pay for making your invoices if you too late they not pay, if you are booking the work taking usually 30 min to book each Sunday and they don't pay for that time either.I did asked them many times to change it to a week day but they never listen!

Stressful work, inflexible staff, unprofessional attitude

I like my job as an interpreter and I have worked with this company for a while but it is getting worse with the time. The staff is very difficult to get in touch with and deal with. The operators on the phone (if they ever pick up the phone) are unprofessional and unhelpful; their aim is just to allocate the jobs and not to listen to interpreter's requirements. Dealing with them via email is equally difficult. It takes them a week to answer your request and most of the times it is urgent to be sorted out immediately. The portal where we accept the jobs is far from perfect. I have been trying to comment on some of the issues but they haven't been resolved at all. As a whole it is stressful to work with them because there is lack of coordination between the members of the staff and between thebigword and listing offices in court. As a result of this a lot of double bookings occur which is frustrating for the interpreters. Travel costs are not covered accordingly.

Pros

Flexible working hours for freelancers; payment on time

Cons

Unprofessional attitude, inflexible communication, lack of coordination, difficult communication via phone or email, unhelpful operators/administration

Very friendly

At thebigword you can meet very friendly and helpful teams. It's a great opportunity to gain your skills specially for a beginners in administrative role.

Awful company to deal with

They keep you waiting for ages to answer your calls and all that while a recorded message states that "your call is important to us, please continue to hold and we will answer your call shortly" which will infuriate one even more. While I am writing this I have been waiting for 50 minutes to answer. We need to call them because the id number of their text messages is not recognised

Good work-life balance and salary, but minimal job security with virtually no career progress

Pros

Paid travel, flexible work

Cons

Not enough hours, some bookings only guaranteed 1 hour pay with their booked duration being longer, progress is

tough job and demanding

Not easy to be a successful interpreter. Updating studying and qualifications required. Can be depressing and difficult to deal with sometimes.Good as a first job in the business.

Pros

easy to work from home

Cons

demanding, low-paid and no future advancement possible.

voluntary

was a voluntary placement. work placement was not secured and there was no permanent work after it.

No good payment process.

No good payment process. Payment is not regularly executed, as promised.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at thebigword. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement