thebigword

thebigword Employee Reviews

Management is the worst...they are fake ans show favoritism. HR is even worst...they do not really care about the employees. I had to get a therapist in order to cop.
They treat linguist very badly , no protection whatsoever , pay below minimum wage, 5min break per hour which is to short to take that,s unbelievable, a lot of pressure, stress the lack of respect for your time, they don,t pay for making your invoices if you too late they not pay, if you are booking the work taking usually 30 min to book each Sunday and they don't pay for that time either.I did asked them many times to change it to a week day but they never listen!
I like my job as an interpreter and I have worked with this company for a while but it is getting worse with the time. The staff is very difficult to get in touch with and deal with. The operators on the phone (if they ever pick up the phone) are unprofessional and unhelpful; their aim is just to allocate the jobs and not to listen to interpreter's requirements. Dealing with them via email is equally difficult. It takes them a week to answer your request and most of the times it is urgent to be sorted out immediately. The portal where we accept the jobs is far from perfect. I have been trying to comment on some of the issues but they haven't been resolved at all. As a whole it is stressful to work with them because there is lack of coordination between the members of the staff and between thebigword and listing offices in court. As a result of this a lot of double bookings occur which is frustrating for the interpreters. Travel costs are not covered accordingly.
Pros
Flexible working hours for freelancers; payment on time
Cons
Unprofessional attitude, inflexible communication, lack of coordination, difficult communication via phone or email, unhelpful operators/administration
At thebigword you can meet very friendly and helpful teams. It's a great opportunity to gain your skills specially for a beginners in administrative role.
Amazing company to work for but pay Was not great, I believe it has increased since I’ve left the company. Apart from that no complaints with the company.
Would never work for these again, HR doesn’t know how to pay your wages accordingly.(they pay you then take it off you without reason) The interpreters don’t get paid either Avoid at all costs, they are better jobs out there that pays a lot better
There was a great balance between work and family life and great communication with the HR team; useful benefits. Although there was some kind of compulsory training, it was usually irrelevant to me as an interpreter; or it was very basic. I really wanted to develop in my role but it was not possible. Although the company would be willing to let me go for an external training, they weren't able to sponsor the training for me. The hourly wage was very close to the national minimum wage, so I could not afford the training. I was working really hard to achieve our KPIs but I had just a very small pay rise during my 6 years with them and I felt undervalued. There was an amazing range of clients. Apart from interpreting for government institutions, I often interpreted for vulnerable clients, e.g. victims of trafficking, social services, people with mental issues and I would love to have someone to talk to about gloomy situations we were listening to for most parts of our working days but the support was limited and very difficult to get access to. I was made redundant during my maternity leave, together with the rest of my team.
They keep you waiting for ages to answer your calls and all that while a recorded message states that "your call is important to us, please continue to hold and we will answer your call shortly" which will infuriate one even more. While I am writing this I have been waiting for 50 minutes to answer. We need to call them because the id number of their text messages is not recognised
Good work-life balance and salary, but minimal job security with virtually no career progress
Pros
Paid travel, flexible work
Cons
Not enough hours, some bookings only guaranteed 1 hour pay with their booked duration being longer, progress is
Good for beginners, a lot to learn from them. Good like minded people, Knowledge share, good team members, personality development , talent acquisition.
Pros
lots of workshops
The company is great to work for in many number of ways, but the downside to working there is that the management will pass their own errors and faults on to you.
Pros
Relaxed enviroment
Cons
No real training provided
Avoid at all costs. Worst company to work for that I’ve experienced. Their are better jobs out this so don’t even bother working for thebigword. Very poor company.
Cons
The company is great as an opportunity to start your career. The environment is open, supportive, and easy-going. Teams usually are marvellous and everyone shares skills and experiences. The management is not so great, making the organisation an excellent stepping stone in your career, but not a place you stay at long-term, as evidenced by the legendary levels of churn.
Pros
Great opportunity, great challenge
Cons
exponentially growing expectations with little to no wage progression
Working at the bigword is good if you need call centre experience, it is a repetitive job and the only challenge you face is trying to get a booking sorted that comes on the day for a court that needs a linguist to attend asap There is no career progression and the salary is too less compared to the amount of work you put in to the business They accept people from different backgrounds but at times you will feel there is favouritism amongst managers There is nothing difficult about the job and the fun aspect is the few colleagues that make the work life enjoyable
Pros
Cons
Less pay
Not easy to be a successful interpreter. Updating studying and qualifications required. Can be depressing and difficult to deal with sometimes.Good as a first job in the business.
Pros
easy to work from home
Cons
demanding, low-paid and no future advancement possible.
You will meet and work with some fantastic people. This is by far the best part of the job. Salary is poor as is management. Good start out company for young workers.
Pros
people
Cons
salary
good working environment. it was my first job and i enjoyed it really much great learning opportunities. Love the quick and challenge turn around of the work
Fun place to work that can be a bit demanding at times. Atmosphere is friendly, teams are nice. Pay is far below other industry competitors. Daily work variety is nice. Offers challenges and some room for career growth.
Pros
coffee!
A typical day working at Thebigword, would involve completing various menial administration task for management throughout various teams In the Translation department of the company. I sent emails and made phone calls to clients and to freelance translators and various other tasks that are very company specific. Fun work place with supportive management. I also trained new members of staff on all the software the company uses and all the different types of projects that they would encounter within the role.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
In the middle of a warehouse estate, was a little woring walking to my bus stop 30 mins away.
A typical day at work involves fixing broken files for project managers that have either been broken by them or by their linguists but they seem to want to blame engineering for it instead even though it is us that fix it. We do not get any recognition for hard work. If a project is delivered ahead of time it is usually because engineering cam up with a slick process but nobody seems to care about that, it is just the PMs that get the praise. They will not pay anybody what they are worth but continue to promise pay rises that never come.
Pros
Free coffee and fruit
Cons
Shift work with no extra pay, no recognition for hard work, low pay
buen ambiente de trabajo, posibilidad de crecer y aprender continuamente, compañerismo, flexibilidad
  1. Employee reviews