thebigword

thebigword Pay & benefits reviews

There was a great balance between work and family life and great communication with the HR team; useful benefits. Although there was some kind of compulsory training, it was usually irrelevant to me as an interpreter; or it was very basic. I really wanted to develop in my role but it was not possible. Although the company would be willing to let me go for an external training, they weren't able to sponsor the training for me. The hourly wage was very close to the national minimum wage, so I could not afford the training. I was working really hard to achieve our KPIs but I had just a very small pay rise during my 6 years with them and I felt undervalued. There was an amazing range of clients. Apart from interpreting for government institutions, I often interpreted for vulnerable clients, e.g. victims of trafficking, social services, people with mental issues and I would love to have someone to talk to about gloomy situations we were listening to for most parts of our working days but the support was limited and very difficult to get access to. I was made redundant during my maternity leave, together with the rest of my team.
They treat linguist very badly , no protection whatsoever , pay below minimum wage, 5min break per hour which is to short to take that,s unbelievable, a lot of pressure, stress the lack of respect for your time, they don,t pay for making your invoices if you too late they not pay, if you are booking the work taking usually 30 min to book each Sunday and they don't pay for that time either.I did asked them many times to change it to a week day but they never listen!
Would never work for these again, HR doesn’t know how to pay your wages accordingly.(they pay you then take it off you without reason) The interpreters don’t get paid either Avoid at all costs, they are better jobs out there that pays a lot better
Good work-life balance and salary, but minimal job security with virtually no career progress
Pros
Paid travel, flexible work
Cons
Not enough hours, some bookings only guaranteed 1 hour pay with their booked duration being longer, progress is
Working at the bigword is good if you need call centre experience, it is a repetitive job and the only challenge you face is trying to get a booking sorted that comes on the day for a court that needs a linguist to attend asap There is no career progression and the salary is too less compared to the amount of work you put in to the business They accept people from different backgrounds but at times you will feel there is favouritism amongst managers There is nothing difficult about the job and the fun aspect is the few colleagues that make the work life enjoyable
Pros
Cons
Less pay
Not easy to be a successful interpreter. Updating studying and qualifications required. Can be depressing and difficult to deal with sometimes.Good as a first job in the business.
Pros
easy to work from home
Cons
demanding, low-paid and no future advancement possible.
You will meet and work with some fantastic people. This is by far the best part of the job. Salary is poor as is management. Good start out company for young workers.
Pros
people
Cons
salary
A typical day at work involves fixing broken files for project managers that have either been broken by them or by their linguists but they seem to want to blame engineering for it instead even though it is us that fix it. We do not get any recognition for hard work. If a project is delivered ahead of time it is usually because engineering cam up with a slick process but nobody seems to care about that, it is just the PMs that get the praise. They will not pay anybody what they are worth but continue to promise pay rises that never come.
Pros
Free coffee and fruit
Cons
Shift work with no extra pay, no recognition for hard work, low pay
It was a very intresting job that kept you on your toes and kept you thinking and learning new ways to do work and different areas of the company.
Cons
Long Hours, Long travel
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at thebigword?