Thermo Fisher Scientific

Thermo Fisher Scientific Employee Reviews

United Kingdom256 reviews

Found 256 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,069 reviews
thermofisherfisherscientificprogressionrolesitecolleaguetarget

Management need to have a hard look at themselves

I enjoy parts of my job but workplace politics and unrelenting pressure have made the place unbearable at times. A lot of people of sick with stress/anxiety and seemingly little curiosity from management as to why. Very unhappy and unstable work environment with lots of employees talking about chucking their jobs. Management communication, or lack of, some of the worst I've ever experienced. A lot of talk of safety and quality but the rules are often broken by management just to ensure maximum output. Very little care and understanding expressed towards operators who are struggling. A lot of talk of this but the reality is quite different.

Pros

Benefits, gym on site

Cons

Poor management, long hours, working conditions, shift work

Poor leadership

Poor leadership in certain departments with a click in Snr position Hr department poor and no support would not recommend to anyone who has ambitions

Pros

Subsidise canteen

Cons

Underhand tactics

Insights into Thermo Fisher Scientific

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Poor management

Bullying atmospherePromotions based on brown nosing/friends with the bossWork life balance is none existentOvertime is poorly paidBosses are clueless and don't improve anything

Salary is great

The salary for the work is great! It is definitely one of the highest. Very much a face fitting company. Families seem to be the norm; Everyone has a sibling/cousin working there. Advancement is promised however yet to see any.

expanding business with good prospects

good place to work with a quality mindset, GMP manufacturing cleanrooms offer a variety of job types. A good bonus scheme and a competitive incentive package.

Pros

good bonus scheme

Cons

long hours in production

Fantastic place to work. Staff are very friendly and helpful, offering support and lots of onsite training. You feel like you are valued and are making a difference to peoples lives.

Ok

Fair place.. people ok.. processes outdated Place is ok to work for and some management are great… Usual people to watch out for right enough absolutle job worths

Work to schedule so time management essential

I have worked various roles within the company and I have found them all fulfilling.The pay is fair and the facilities are good. The location is very picturesque on the Lancashire coast.

Pros

All PPE is provided, good employee resource groups

Cons

Can be under pressure at busy times

Needs root and branch reform

Too many layers of senior management above the site that add no value and in-fact slow down progress due to their need to be consulted and belief that what they know is industry best practice. If you have a genuine manufacturing background, qualifications, understanding or experience you will not enjoy working here.At the site level the management team and operating systems have grown with the business, from a small site to a large one. This brings great knowledge of the current processes but huge inefficiencies baked in and a closed mindset to change. This is supported by the senior leadership who also only know what they know. External ideas are dismissed by a culture of passive resistance and denial. Blame culture is unfortunately central to how the business runs at all levels. Targets for output are unachievable, with the only strategy being to throw people at the problem, not drive efficiency. Rational discussions about targets are not allowed. The target is set and then when you hit what you forecast you are chastised for not pushing back on the goals! There is no win win. HR is from the 1970’s and believes strongly in division of labour and theory X management, rather than theory Y leadership. There is a constant expectation that the team is managed with punitive measures. There is also a hypocritical approach to policy that allows no flexibility for interpretation from managers within Operations, but allows HR to decide if they feel like applying policy when it comes to their work load. Operations is a default scapegoat.There is good practice in Management training -

Pros

Safety culture

Cons

Poor HR, culture of bullying & closed mindset within management, questionable compliance to code of ethics.

Terrible place to work

Stupidly long hours expected, the salary doesn’t match the amount of long weekends you’re expected to work and the management constantly expect more than you should be expected to give

Pros

£5 vouchers

Cons

Long hours, no life

Home Based and virtual own manager.

I worked as engineer covering ICP-OES,ICP-MS and AAS.Job was interesting and really a continual learning curve.Did not meet colleagues very often, field work all on customer's sites. I was happy with this.Company was fairly generous paying all expenses incurred while working. Required an amount of overnight stays. I was employed for 30 years then retired.It was like another world compared to the part time driving jobs I do now.

Clicky place to work

I felt they were not welcoming. Uncomfortable atmosphere. Did not enjoy working there. Very pressurised. Expected more than you could achieve in the hours worked

Pros

Pension scheme

Cons

Very Taxing place to work

Fast paced at times but very productive and relaxed environment to work

I enjoyed working with Thermo Fisher Scientific. I cannot rate the interview process at all, or the pay fairly. I didn't have an interview firstly. Secondly, I was paid more than people employed by Thermo as I was employed by an agency. I found out whilst there from colleagues, that infact my pay was actually higher than theirs.

Pros

Benefits when you hit targets ect where not bad.

Cons

Pay wasn't that great at the time it may be it is higher now.

Excellent company to work for

TFS had a great culture with chances to develop and progress given to those who wanted it. The pension scheme was generous and training was given to everyone who wanted it.

Pros

Great pension scheme

Cons

Too much restructuring

poor management, cool environment

The work environment is quite good, experienced colleagues are helpful but unfortunately I can't say the same for the management. Salaries on the lower side.

Pros

work environment, lunch, side benefits

Cons

management, salary

Overworked and underpaid

Lack of staff is absolutely shocking.Every department is struggling.People are overworked and not even agency staff wants to come anymore or they come for a day or two and they are gone. There is lots of favoritism as plenty of cousins and same family members are working there. Every day coming to ask who wants to do overtime instead of hiring additional staff. I've found a better job, 150 quids lower pay but at least I'm not stressed out every day.

straight forward

its straight forward quick and not really stressful.. you need to be good with hands, people are nice, you have to be precise you cant mess up when labelling

ok to work

if your not looking for job security then this is the place. If you get employed by them and not an agency then great benefits and big bonuses but if agency treated badly

Pros

good wage and bonus

Cons

no progression no job security

Great Teamwork

Ashford had a great team and were very efficient. Unfortunately someone in the senior management team away from Ashford decided to take the work to Mexico. It has been said they have "ALL THE GEAR BUT NO IDEA" I bet head office are regretting closing the site, it would have been so busy throughout the pandemic. Some work was specialised and skills or experience can not be written on paper.

Pros

Nothing was ever a problem.

Cons

Company has got too big to recognise what it already has

Warehouse is a shambles

The warehouse is a shambles to work in with no 5s anywhere boxes crushed, stood on, ripped open with product spilling all over the locations. Team leaders are useless and not bothered as long as they get paid every month. Management have no clue how to run a warehouse-everything looks good on paper. Some of the different pay bands are ridicules with some people getting paid way above the level they should be and just picking and choosing when and what shift they do. I would not recommend for the money they pay not worth it.

Very poor company

Shocked when a found out how bad this place is to work. Managers are clueless or deluded. Some good people on shift but a lot of wasters They take advantage when they can and mislead and basically lie to ya

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thermo Fisher Scientific. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement