Thermo Fisher Scientific

Thermo Fisher Scientific Employee Reviews

Everyone there is very friendly and great to work with, if you have issues with work like struggling to lift or keep up you can ask to be swapped out without issue. team leaders are fantastic but management are generally out of touch with what actually goes on in the working areas. I was very well looked after until I questioned why my pay rates and holiday rates were different (working via Reed agency) since then the agency ignores me and I am offered no help at all. Although this is mainly an issue regarding the agency, ThermoFisher themselves are extremely slow to adjust pay rates when you get a pay rise and it doesn't get back dated, I have heard from multiple members of staff that they did not receive extra money for almost a year and had to complain numerous times to no avail, which is a shame because in every other area it is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible with work, generous with gifts, 40 minute lunch break, free tea and coffee.
Cons
Reed agency is awful, slow to adjust pay rates, management generally out of touch.
Good environment in terms of facilities to work, 2 x 15 minutes tea breaks and 45 minute lunch, some perks from time to time.Chaotic place to work with chronic staff shortages in the processing/packing department. Some of the managers are snobs, they do not acknowledge people: e. g. with a polite good morning!Age discrimination in terms of professional development is off the scale: e.g. very well qualified workers in the Processing/Manufacture Department with professional experience even in the company, continue to be ignored for technical jobs and are stuck in processing/manufacture, while they take people without any formal life science qualifications to learn technical jobs. It helps if you are good looking and young and do a bit of shoe polishing of the right people!Despite a small facility in terms of numbers of people, there is the ignore-you culture at work. If you lucky you might get a smile or a good morning from some people there including managers! High staff turnover as they prefer young people to do the technical jobs, as soon as they get enough experience they go to work for competitors!
Pros
Excellent facilities
Cons
Age discrimination, chronic staff shortages, strange schedules you work alternative 5 days one week followed by 2 days. Poor salary
Good place to work. Lovely people. Was only temping there but they made me feel so welcome. Work was logistics warehouse work so not challenging but was enough to make it seem like very busy
Integrity NoneIntensity Oh yes you workload will be massive !Inovation Equipment made on the cheap for maximum profit. Breakdowns of equipment are through the roof.This company needs to learn some ethics.Very very stressful place to work the company says it cares about making the world a better place but all the company cares about is money. You mean nothing to them
Pros
Not much at all
Cons
Cheap cheap company .
Thermofisher is a company to avoid. High staff turnover is driven by low salaries and highly underqualified managers who continually sacrifice the care and well being of their staff for short term targetbattainment.It is a company to avoid
Pros
Cons
Not a good place to work
Training is non existent, they lay off for 1 absence, treated like a number not a person, probably one of the worst places I've worked, management is really poor, would not believe this place makes medical equipment
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Management poor
Nice enough people but very in house. Jump through hoops to be told ‘No not good enough’. Everyone related in some way or another. Like something out of the hillbillies. Drop you when they think someone else has a weak personality or keeps mouth shut. Very subservient culture.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Paid 36 hours but still expect 37.5 hours work!
Came to this company thinking it will be for a year Max until I get something better... actually turned out to be the best job I have ever had. I had great management and support, immediate team and wider team were so supportive and really friendly. Working as a young female in a predominantly older male dominated role, I was quite shocked at how little I felt out of place. Supportive manager, although not all managers were supportive... but they were all incredibly friendly and so was site director. They do expect you to be self initiating work but they will guide you in the right direction if you need support. I have had multiple job offers since I worked here and turned many down. Lastly, I think it depends on your personal manager but mines was great as was my team!
Pros
Great supportive atmosphere, great manager and good benefits.
Cons
Sometimes over worked... but if you like the job you don’t mind.
Continuous timed pressurised workloads...management spend most of their time sat in the office depending on the teamleaders to run the floor and workloads.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Shifts
I took this job on as a temporary solution as I’d just left a previous job and fed up of my trade i needed anything else. I didn’t really expect to get it due to my job specific qualifications and it sounded like quite a male dominated environment which it was and the group interview is very intimidating, so I didn’t expect to like it at all when I first started and thought I’d just have to put up with it until something else came along. However I was taken aback at how easily within a month or two it just became more than a job, yes there were risks involved with the job and hazardous chemicals but pretty much all the people there made the place! I enjoyed that I could be left to my own devices as long as I was doing what needed to be done and remained productive then I was mainly left to it. If ever I struggled with anything in work, questions or lifting anything heavy, everyone was always more than willing to help out. I really got on with everyone and we had such a laugh whilst at work. I have so many funny memories of working here. In other jobs I’ve always suffered with Monday blues but this is the only job I’ve never dreaded going to and even some days I used to look forward to going in and seeing the familiar faces for a catch up. I definitely don’t miss that flam freezer though!
Pros
Friendly people, reward schemes
Cons
Flam freezer and the warehouse smells takes some getting used to
Too many people married or related within the company which creates clicks. This goes all the way to the management at the top. Bullying is a very big issue.
Pros
Brilliant job
Cons
Management awful
Accommodating, professional and friendly workplace and I will recommend for any one looking for an experience in laboratory and scientific work especially on diagnostics and research areas.
The company is going through a lot of changes in its digital transformation, it is an ever changing culture which is still maturing and developing. With IT things never stand still and that certainly isn't the case for this company
Only look after themselves . if your face doesn’t fit they will get you out . Wrong management in the roles they have no people skills. Sickness is not tolerated 3 sickness and you get written warning
When I joined thermo Fisher as an agency worker I was quickly shown the possibilities of working for thermofisher scientific. And the possibilities where where do you want to go and what do you want to do. The web is vast and if the opportunity for career change is available you are able to do it here. Great place to work and the workforce you would be proud to be part of.
Very poor place to work two half hr breaks un paid constantly on the go no real training I would not recommend working for them around fourth five minutes before end of shift supervisor comes around for scores a lot can change in fourty five minutes no real help if paperwork isn’t ready they stand there with a face like a smacked behind the company tries to come over professional but in reality they’re very amateurish and not much common sense. If there’s a problem with the m/c you’re running and you have to call maintenance communication is next to nothing they’re like the operator,s think they’re something special but in reality they’re lazy and in truth haven’t much idea I would defiantly advise people to stay clear of that company.
Pros
Cons
Unpaid breaks
Very Poor training but expected to hit the ground running and if you cannot you will struggle to meet the company targets and there is a lot and I mean a LOT ? Be aware you will be worked hard with Thermo and I mean very hard it is the company culture.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Bad Training and Impatient Management.
Workload is quite high, so no life-work balance. Less people work in every team than there should, which means overworked employees. Management can be either great or awful, depends on the team.
Pros
Having a job
Cons
Not life work balance. Far from city center and bad public transport.
Varied work, group goals, demanding on occasion but rewarding for that. Good culture with strong Management. Opportunity to take on additional work due to the increase in business
This company has many different location and different products. In my factory (Gloucester) they where generally nice and wanted to do the best. Some managers where very arrogant, and not very nice. Office politics was rife. Poor management with no formal training. Nasty at times. My site was formally a typical british company set in its way, living on its past history. Because they failed to improve product was moved to Germany. The general corporate team seemed good, but typically no investment was available. Other sites seemed better.
Worked here for 6 years in various roles and loved the global team feel to the company. Initiatives always included everyone and you got to be exposed to other areas of the business through continuous improvement and company social media. Always opportunities to take on extra skills, courses and responsibilities. Some great leaders in all levels of the business. Deltas include company pushing certain job roles harder than others, American culture of stretching teams until they break and then only then offering more resource is common. Job insecurity in certain roles due to nature of pharmaceuticals which can make some areas of the business feel unloyal to their hard working employees.