Thermo Fisher Scientific

Thermo Fisher Scientific Employee Reviews

Found 192 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,523 reviews

Nice place to work - shame it was cut short

I worked at Thermo Fisher as a lab tech and really enjoyed working there. Nice people and an inclusive atmosphere. I was committed to this role.My team leader seemed uncomfortable with his role and did abdicate the value of training me.Unfortunately, I was taken out after 3 months and escorted out the back door, with no feedback at all. So not much else I can say on that.Two replacements joined the next working day and I guess Thermo Fisher had their reasons. Maybe just an age thing, I am 65.Anyways I would recommend Thermo Fisher for anyone that wants to work for a really good company.

Pros

Good job with nice people.

Cons

Role cut short with no feedback

Badly run,management not caring of people

Promised a permanent position and in a secure global company, 7 months later wanted 90% of us made redundant, basically used then discarded..work in boring and repetitive, no chance of advancement, all about totals ,short breaks,long shifts.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, boring work

Fantastic Company with rapid growth!

Can’t believe some of the other reviews. This company looks after temp employees far better than any other I’ve worked for. They even paid us a bonus for moving over to the new 24/7 shift pattern, which they didn’t have to! All operators are trained and temps get job offers once they meet targets/are trained. Other companies string you along and then let you go… Managers care about the business and want you to do well. Bonuses paid for doing key work during Covid too. The site has had huge investment and they are constantly recruiting for growth, there’s loads of opportunities for career progress if you are prepared to work hard!

Pros

Great bonuses and pension. 12x4 shift pattern is hard when your in, but great when your off!

Cons

Business doubling every couple of years so systems struggle to keep up.

Don’t be fooled by the name

Whilst I am grateful for the opportunity to work for Thermo Fisher Scientific, in my 20 years working at the Dartford site I learned a lot of things. Early on in my career it was good. I had good job satisfaction but that quickly faded; after that it was all bad. They may be a world leader in serving science but that doesn’t mean you’ll be appreciated or rewarded for what you do; quite the opposite in fact. Managers form a clique and promote their pals over those more deserving. Others will only progress if they pucker up to the starfish. Common sense and flexibility are in short supply. Managers are quick to single out individuals or groups that threaten to break the mould. As sad as it may be they are bullies and they are in cahoots. The workers - managers excluded - are phenomenal, a true pleasure to work with and to manage. Salaries are around 60% of the industry standard. Luckily the post-Covid job market is booming in this sector. Don’t be fooled - give this place a hard swerve.

Pros

Decent benefits package, great people, focused CEO.

Cons

Very poor base salaries, bullying senior managers.

Eazy money but nowt to do

Class place to work, no work to do, get paid to do nowt hehe. Every1 is on something n easy to score owt if you want it coz a few people selling in the lab n warehouse. Cannit knock the place for that but propa boring standin for 12 hours doing nowt. Overtym is double bubble for any shift atm n if you do nite shift in the warehpuse u can get a few joints n chill owt as no management in.

Pros

Eazy money n loadz ov scores

Cons

Nowt 2 do 4 12 hours

Not a nice place to work

Very very poor organistaion in the warehouse with lots of unhappy people. Management very clicky, very much a face fits warehouse. Pay poor for a pharma site never mind a warehouse and shifts r 4 on 4 off, forget about family life or holidays. Holiday ban at christmas irrespective of childcare. Sickness levels ridiculous and not monitered, some people have loads ov sick and yet still have jobs. Agency treat very poorly even tho doing the same job.

Pros

Cons

Poor leadership, zero progression, poor pay for pharma

Best place I’ve worked so far

Really friendly team at the Loughborough site, everyone will say hello to you and try help you out if you ask for help. Management have your back and really look out for their staff. During COVID they made sure we were kept really safe. Maybe a bit OTT at times but it was nice that they put in the extra efforts. Told us when the company was doing well and gave us recognition. Good shift patterns, alternating between 8:30-4:30 and 9:15-5:15 with a 45 minute lunch break. Very collaborative with many different teams, which is great and everyone gets to know everyone, so it’s a very friendly environment. A few people to get away without pulling their weight but I’ve found this to be the case everywhere, so can be frustrating when you work hard and others don’t, but when you work hard it is recognised. Good progression if you put the effort in and ask for the opportunity, there is a lot of support from management to help you progress. The role does get a bit same-y, so progression would be needed to not feel bored, but the customers are for the most part lovely, and the account managers are very supportive. Don’t have to think about work outside of work which is great, and I’m the customer service department logging off time is logging off time. There is zero pressure or expectation to work longer, but there is opportunities for overtime if you want it. Very sad to be leaving, only leaving the company due to relocation, otherwise it would be a company for life I think.

Pros

Progression, friendly, supportive, not very stressful, good working hours

Cons

Role can be a little boring

Production Technician Chambers

Love working in the Chambers department, team work very good we all help each other with daily opsticals,sometimes I think I'm overlooked, if only I had a pair of T#Ts LOL, just wished they would have more trust in me, but Ha Ho, still love the job

Pros

Freindly

Cons

Being overlooked

OK if your face fits

brilliant place if you are permanent, not so good for the temps, they say you all get treat the same but temps dont get half what the permanents do. management just make it up as they go along.Work itself isn't hard and can be very enjoyable, great people there. difficult to progress unless your face fits.They only care about attendance, you can make as many mistakes as long as you turn up and they will keep you over a worker who is better or faster if they have worse attendance.

Pros

Free amazon vouchers and other gifts sometimes, good overtime rates

Cons

management are incompetent/don't care, hard to get holidays

Very Poor company

Very poorly managed place to work for such a multi billion company. A very bitter working environment where you turn up to work each day and don’t know what your doing. No clear training, everything is all over the place. Managers don’t help at all, very undermining and talk rubbish about each other. Would not recommend.

Pros

Cons

Poor management, no training, toxic work environment

Jobs at Thermo Fisher Scientific

See more jobs

I love the place

The company has been very good, good conditions and pay. In my time there, my team leaders and managers have been great and approachable colleagues. I have loved every minute working there. Proactive towards the care of staff during Covid.

Pros

Good work Life balance, Bonuses, Ppe, Good Colleagues

Cons

Only sad thing is the job losses.

Supportless

The lack of training is astounding and support is not great although the majority of the people there are great You are expected to know things a person new to the company could not possibly know

Pros

Good salary benefits

Cons

Lack or training and management support

It was great working in this large company with lovely peoples around.

It was great honour to working in this large company with around lovely peoples and good facilities and good salary comparing with others places, missing those things.

Pros

We used to get some times free food and free fruit day.

Cons

I’ve work 12 hrs shift to 8hrs shift both shift was ok for me.

Terrible management

Job itself is extremely enjoyable however it is spoilt by terrible management who would rather sit in the office than help any staff. Production manger does not leave the office and would rather find things wrong than praise anyone unless they are in his little 'group' then you can also do nothing and get away with it. Until management changes avoid!

Pros

Staff nice

Cons

Terrible management

Process Operator

Good environment in terms of facilities to work, 2 x 15 minutes tea breaks and 45 minute lunch, some perks from time to time.Chaotic place to work with chronic staff shortages in the processing/packing department. Some of the managers are snobs, they do not acknowledge people: e. g. with a polite good morning!Age discrimination in terms of professional development is off the scale: e.g. very well qualified workers in the Processing/Manufacture Department with professional experience even in the company, continue to be ignored for technical jobs and are stuck in processing/manufacture, while they take people without any formal life science qualifications to learn technical jobs. It helps if you are good looking and young and do a bit of shoe polishing of the right people!Despite a small facility in terms of numbers of people, there is the ignore-you culture at work. If you lucky you might get a smile or a good morning from some people there including managers! High staff turnover as they prefer young people to do the technical jobs, as soon as they get enough experience they go to work for competitors!

Pros

Excellent facilities

Cons

Age discrimination, chronic staff shortages, strange schedules you work alternative 5 days one week followed by 2 days. Poor salary

Warehouse

Good place to work. Lovely people. Was only temping there but they made me feel so welcome. Work was logistics warehouse work so not challenging but was enough to make it seem like very busy

Poor company

Integrity NoneIntensity Oh yes you workload will be massive !Inovation Equipment made on the cheap for maximum profit. Breakdowns of equipment are through the roof.This company needs to learn some ethics.Very very stressful place to work the company says it cares about making the world a better place but all the company cares about is money. You mean nothing to them

Pros

Not much at all

Cons

Cheap cheap company .

A company devoid of leadership

Thermofisher is a company to avoid. High staff turnover is driven by low salaries and highly underqualified managers who continually sacrifice the care and well being of their staff for short term targetbattainment.It is a company to avoid

Pros

Cons

Not a good place to work

Dont bother

Training is non existent, they lay off for 1 absence, treated like a number not a person, probably one of the worst places I've worked, management is really poor, would not believe this place makes medical equipment

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Management poor

Dropped like a bag of spuds

Nice enough people but very in house. Jump through hoops to be told ‘No not good enough’. Everyone related in some way or another. Like something out of the hillbillies. Drop you when they think someone else has a weak personality or keeps mouth shut. Very subservient culture.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Paid 36 hours but still expect 37.5 hours work!

Great place to work - one of the best jobs I have had.

Came to this company thinking it will be for a year Max until I get something better... actually turned out to be the best job I have ever had. I had great management and support, immediate team and wider team were so supportive and really friendly. Working as a young female in a predominantly older male dominated role, I was quite shocked at how little I felt out of place. Supportive manager, although not all managers were supportive... but they were all incredibly friendly and so was site director. They do expect you to be self initiating work but they will guide you in the right direction if you need support. I have had multiple job offers since I worked here and turned many down. Lastly, I think it depends on your personal manager but mines was great as was my team!

Pros

Great supportive atmosphere, great manager and good benefits.

Cons

Sometimes over worked... but if you like the job you don’t mind.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thermo Fisher Scientific. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.1K