Thomas Ridley foodservice
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Thomas Ridley foodservice Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews

Busy but enjoyable

I have only worked here for 5 weeks but the staff and management are second to none.Everyone will help each other if you have an issue and the management are extremely approachable.The knowledge the management and staff helps you with your day to day tasks.I would recommend this as a place to work as they have shifts to suit peoples needs.I am only leaving due to being offered another job on a shift that suits my needs.

Lacking leadership

The company lack leadership, it’s run by micro management from behind a laptop. Hot targets or leave the business, with zero progression or training. They openly admit to micro management. The management sometimes encourage evening working to “get pricing to customers”. Overall not a healthy place to work.

Pros

Discount food

Cons

Unreasonable expectations

Insights into Thomas Ridley foodservice

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Best job so far

I’m currently working at Thomas Ridley for about a week everyone is so nice and supportive it’s absolutely amazing , I’ve received a lot of help during my training even tho I can manage by myself I still have a trainer with me making sure i am fully prepared for any situation that I might encounter

Pros

Loads of discounts work life balance

Good work environment

A major change from my previous employer, which was filled with corporate red tape with decision making. Thomas Ridley is a breath of fresh air where decisions and action plans are put into play without jumping through layers of management.Personally I think there's some fantastic people working here. I can see why there are so many people that have been here for such a long time.

Pros

Staff Discounts, Family Run, Flexible.

Cons

None so far.

Just pays the bills

Alright job if you don't mind doing the same routine every day. PPE is great. Very focused on staff pick rates. Get nothing in return for when you are doing good

Don’t work here

Culture awful. Management awful. No team spirit. Mainly new staff now as the good ones have got out or they made them redundant. Don’t care about you, you are just a number!

Very enjoyable

I have found that Thomas Ridley is a very enjoyable company to work for. Everything is very well explained and they are always open to answer any questions you may have and do everything in their power to make sure you understand it in the end. You are not put under major pressure as you might be in other job and targets are easily achievable

Pros

Friendly staff who are always willing to help

Great place to work, everyone has been very welcoming from day dot from all departments, there are a Great bunch colleagues and most will take the time to help if and when needed. Everybody is Very friendly and respectful and the office staff are very understanding and amicable regarding events such as appointments.all round really good place to work.

Pros

Occasional free items

Cons

N/a

Hard work, but great team

Having never worked in this environment before, was all new to me.A great bunch of guys to work with, all very helpful.Overtime always available and expected. Management very helpful.

Pros

Free tea/coffee, staff sales

Cons

None yet!

Great Place to Work

I have been working here awhile now. Started off as order Assembly. Then promoted to Team Leader. Great place to work Great people. Overall great place to work

Pros

Annual Profit Share. Good Salary.

A good place to work

Having worked for Thomas Ridley for more than 5 years I left earlier in the year to experience other working challenges. I have now returned to Thomas Ridley as they are a good company to work for.

Pros

Varied job role

Cons

Long hours sometimes

Joke

Use to be a great family run business until greed has got in the way by MD. 2nd charge thinks he can manage place from France. Will change your contact at a drop of a hat. Work 50+ hours only get paid 48 if lucky. To many chiefs not enough Indians. Management really don’t no how to manage.

Pros

The fellow drivers

Cons

The management

1 September 2020
We are still Family Owned and run by The Family?! However, that does not mean that we can afford to not take commercial decisions. The Pandemic drastically changed our business, overnight. When The Government announced The Lockdown immediately almost 50% of our customers ceased trading. We have had to make a lot of deep and drastic changes in a very short space of time. This may well have proved unsettling for individuals ‘set in their ways…’ The Good News is that we are now trading out of The Pandemic. Our changes have enabled us to keep nearly 250 individuals in employment. Yes, The MD is based in France; this was a business decision so that we had a Director off site in case of another Director Contracting Corvid-19. The ‘greedy director?’ I think refers to me! If I were as greedy as you make out; then The Business would not have had The Cash Reserves it had/has so would not have been unable to survive The Lockdown. Good Luck in your New Role, meanwhile I will continue to Invest In The Business which will benefit our existing colleagues!

Terrible place to work

Worst place I have ever worked, always working very long hours, most weeks up to 60 hours per week, only ever paid for 40 hours, sometimes we are promised overtime, never even received any, then told if we don’t like, resign!!! Bad management team as scared of MD’s erratic behaviour, managers are not allowed to manage, they are here to dictate his demands. I can’t wait to leave!!

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Being treated so badly

1 September 2020
It is a shame that you feel this way. Please speak with Your Manager who can hopefully explain anything to you that you do not understand. When The Government announced The Lockdown immediately almost 50% of our customers ceased trading. We have had to make a lot of deep and drastic changes in a very short space of time. Meanwhile for the benefit of the majority of our colleagues who actually enjoy working at Thomas Ridley Foodservice, we are continuing to invest in our future! It is Good News is that we are now trading out of The Pandemic… Our changes have enabled us to keep nearly 250 individuals in employment.

Takes over your life due to start time.

Used to be ok until the humans stopped doing the routes. Now they are ridiculous. All treated like muck since covid. Do this or quit attitude. You'll have a list of drops and probably not in the best order. Little info to say where the drop point is and which school to go nowhere near during school run...

Pros

Good money. Get to drive a truck literally allday lol

Cons

Going to bed at 8.30 9pm

1 September 2020
I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy working with us. The Pandemic drastically changed our business, overnight. When The Government announced The Lock Down immediately almost 50% of our customers ceased trading. We had to make some very rapid changes in order for The Business to survive, and so in order to be able to continue to keep the vast majority of our colleagues in employment. Yes, our routing of deliveries altered, very dramatically. This had to be done in order to keep the business operating as economically as possible. The good news is that those colleagues who chose to stay with us; have stable and ongoing employment.

Careful about this job

Job is ok if you like hard work you must be reasonably fit and can be long days sometimes longer than your salary hours no overtime pay. Evan though they do bother you much if you make your delivery on time and don't get any complaints.

Pros

Can get cost priced food on staff site

Cons

Very hard runs some days and will work more hours than your salary

1 September 2020
Pros; you did not mention the Annual Profit Share Bonus! AND also the annual Employee Awards Ceremony/Party; an entirely free night with drinks, food and music, AND transport to and from The Venue!

Fast paced food

Food deliveries on cages to various venues, my original remit was to the East of England Co-op's but was changed last year to include all customers. Hardest part is keeping up with the experienced drivers but I still work at my own pace. Most enjoyable part of the job is a complete accurate delivery to any customer.

1 September 2020
Thank you for your 4* review! A welcome relief from The Doom Mongers sharing their negativity with The World...

A great place to work

A great place to work with great opportunities, I was a consultant for their non-food side of the business. I very much enjoyed my role and it gave me a huge amount of scope to work with some amazing people in the company. The most enjoyable part of my role was the variety, spending time on the road each week meeting customers and supporting the sales team coupled with reporting to the board of directors and growing the category.

1 September 2020
Thank you and I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Good Luck!

Pushed very hard with no care to your welfare

Hgv2 drivers expected to do between 10 and 13 hours a day. 10 to 20 drops par day,with unloading cages of food and drinks every drop. No time for legal break. Nothing matters more than getting the drops done.

1 September 2020
Thomas Ridley Foodservice... Yes, delivery drivers do unload cages of Food and Drinks at every drop! because this is what we sell?! And yes sometimes as many as 20 drops will fit onto a 18T HGV. This is why it is know as 'multi drop,' type work... Legal Breaks? are routed into the timings, and are also your responsibility to take. Good Luck in your next job which I guess will not be as a Delivery Driver, because; yes the objective of The Role is to 'get the drops done...'

Good place.

With a lot of people, who help you all the time. You can be safety. But the nice thinks it is you can't be bored becouse all the time it is something different!It is your choice!

Pros

Free coffe/tea

Cons

Very long hours

1 September 2020
Thank you for you 5* review! Please tell your friends and colleagues about how much you like be a member of The Thomas Ridley Foodservice Team!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thomas Ridley foodservice. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Thomas Ridley foodservice with

Thomas Ridley foodservice reviews by location

Learn about Thomas Ridley foodservice in popular locations